Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 ALG Residual Value Awards

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 10:02 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, very funny. is-f, ls460, sc430, and lx470, all of them STARTING over 50k. two? what two?

and a loaded 335i for 70k? care to show how? i just wasted time on bmwusa.com to build a 335xi sedan with everything including accessories and it's 62k?
It makes no sense at all to have all of these options but I got the price up higher.

Build Your Own 2009 335i Convertible

3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features
Base MSRP $50,700
Crimson Red $0
Saddle Brown/Black Dakota Leather $0
Light Burl Walnut trim $0
Cold Weather Package $900
Premium Package $1,650
Sport Package $1,400
• 19" wheels w/performance tires (style 230)
$1,000
Active Steering $1,550
Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters $100
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,325
Active Cruise Control $2,400
Comfort Access with Comfort Loading and Open $500
Navigation system $2,100
Smartphone Integration $150
HD radio $0
iPod and USB adapter $400
Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing $875
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription $595
19" Radial Spoke 190 Wheel Set $4,995
Aerodynamic Kit $1,195
Wind Deflector $575
BMW Portable Navigation System $574
iPod® Interface Adapter $320
SIRIUS Satellite Radio $695
All Weather Rubber Floor Mats $79
Illuminated Door Sills (Front Only) $699
BMW Performance Exhaust System $1,862
Destination & Handling: $825

Total MSRP as Built $77,464
Old 02-04-09, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
It makes no sense at all to have all of these options but I got the price up higher.

Build Your Own 2009 335i Convertible

3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features
Base MSRP $50,700
Crimson Red $0
Saddle Brown/Black Dakota Leather $0
Light Burl Walnut trim $0
Cold Weather Package $900
Premium Package $1,650
Sport Package $1,400
• 19" wheels w/performance tires (style 230)
$1,000
Active Steering $1,550
Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters $100
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,325
Active Cruise Control $2,400
Comfort Access with Comfort Loading and Open $500
Navigation system $2,100
Smartphone Integration $150
HD radio $0
iPod and USB adapter $400
Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing $875
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription $595
19" Radial Spoke 190 Wheel Set $4,995
Aerodynamic Kit $1,195
Wind Deflector $575
BMW Portable Navigation System $574
iPod® Interface Adapter $320
SIRIUS Satellite Radio $695
All Weather Rubber Floor Mats $79
Illuminated Door Sills (Front Only) $699
BMW Performance Exhaust System $1,862
Destination & Handling: $825

Total MSRP as Built $77,464
ah indeed, i stand corrected. forgot about the convertible
Old 02-04-09, 10:25 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by rominl
ah indeed, i stand corrected. forgot about the convertible
But again, most fully loaded would not include half of that crap like 5k for custom wheels.......
Old 02-04-09, 10:36 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
Yes, audi used to have the worst in the reliability department. It breaks down and fall apart like bread crums. since they are placing the judgements on newer models. Audi really step their game up. The older Engine with the twine turbos use to blow after 90 to 100K. That's an 4 grand fix, or people usually just upgrade their Turbos. Their V8s have tranny that breaks every other week because it couldn't handle the power. Electric sensors can nose bleed on a hot summer day. But since then they stop the turbos on their A line and build Stronger Tranny.
is this infor from some one that told your or is it from your own personal experiance. dont take my word for but the big guys at jd power and asociates are saying that audi is 10th from the top and is consistantly heavly improoving, in fact they are the most improoved brand for 08. so stupid thread posts get you stupid thread replys....
Old 02-04-09, 10:45 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Thread summary

-Acura #1 thread posted by Acura lover
-People post the logical and sound reasoning of how that happened. No one said Lexus should be #1 or anyone else should be #1 instead. All that was stated was the REASONING behind the win-Acura brigade comes in throwing the usual jabs at members/the forum b/c they don't read, they just want to bicker b/c people have the audacity to make sense of the findings
-Kill 1SICKLEX t-shirt sales up 39%
-Acura brigade joins like Voltron trying to make a point about members/the forum is biased like they are not biased, INSTEAD of contributing to the thread and the topic at hand
Interesting, I could have sworn I see you taking jab at Acura whenever you can.

But it's also true that I am great supporter for Acura/Honda & Toyota/Lexus. I just don't think there's other company out there could compete with these two.
Old 02-04-09, 10:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=wmb0000;4223349

But it's also true that I am great supporter for Acura/Honda & Toyota/Lexus. I just don't think there's other company out there could compete with these two.[/QUOTE]

Mercedes and BMW seem to be doing fine competing with Lexus and Acura in the area of premium vehicles too.
Old 02-04-09, 12:27 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

True, but their electrical gremlins scare me away from them once warrantee run out.
Old 02-04-09, 12:41 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
This point is not relevent because you can say the same about the Acura models too. The RL, their priciest flagship sedan is $50K loaded, which is lower priced than any of the flagship models of the other luxury brands, but when was the last time anyone pay MSRP (or even close to) for a loaded RL ? Are all loaded TL's and TSX's, etc., sold at,or close to MSRP's ?
I honestly could less about Acura, I’m talking about Lexus. I guess people got offend because I say Lexus is #2 because of the same reason Acura is #1. Everybody knows the reason why BMW and MB isn’t number #1. They offer more high-end cars and their reliable is shaky.
1SICKLEX I stand corrected, I didn’t break the cars down into model numbers.
I was correct on the LS’s and SC. I totally forgot about the top dog versions of the GS model.
I made mention of the IS'F.
As I said in previously I don’t care for SUVs’ so no comments on their prices.
Old 02-04-09, 11:50 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmb0000
True, but their electrical gremlins scare me away from them once warrantee run out.
1.5k -2.5k will get you extended factory warrenty. most warrenty is 50k 4ys most people that I know keep the same car for 2-4 years
Old 02-05-09, 08:20 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wmb0000
what is this? Like the generic response from the owner of a Japanese car to justify why they wouldn't get the german competitor? I swear I read this so often, with nothing to back it up. The truth is, I'd be much more worried about "german" engines and oil consumption over some overwrought and overused "electronics gremlins" talking point.

And believe me, I've experienced "german electronic gremlins" firsthand. My car had frayed wirring in headliner leading up to the homelink module. Kept throwing off a fuse, making the climatronic hvac, radio, horn, and interior lighting switch off completely. Somebody didn't give enough play for the wire at the factory, so when the visor was extended, it pinched, ultimately severing it partially, throwing a short through the system. These types of problems simply aren't on the new generation of cars. The Jetta and Passat, for example, have been selling in current form since early 2005. Their onboard electronic systems are of different vendors, the wirring bundling techniques are completely changed, and I have yet to see any "electronic gremlins" akin to their predecessor generations.

Last edited by FKL; 02-05-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 09:37 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
what is this? Like the generic response from the owner of a Japanese car to justify why they wouldn't get the german competitor? I swear I read this so often, with nothing to back it up. The truth is, I'd be much more worried about "german" engines and oil consumption over some overwrought and overused "electronics gremlins" talking point.

These types of problems simply aren't on the new generation of cars. The Jetta and Passat, for example, have been selling in current form since early 2005. Their onboard electronic systems are of different vendors, the wirring bundling techniques are completely changed, and I have yet to see any "electronic gremlins" akin to their predecessor generations.
So what are you saying? That the fear of electric gremlins in German cars is unjustified?

There are still plenty of electric gremlins in the newer models, just go through the forums and you'll see, for all brands, Audi, BMW and Benz. Everyone I know with a German car has had some kind of recurring BS electrical problem which took more than one try to fix, including '08 models.

The point is people don't want to have to deal with that kind of BS when purchasing a brand new car, because they shouldn't, and the problems are still there, albeit not as much but enough to still keep certain people away.

I'm sure their quality's improved over the past models, although I'd say the Germans have a lot to make up for and so it's going to take a while before people trust the electronics in German vehicles again, and justifiably so. Same with the domestics, people claim their overall quality's been much improved, problem is they've been churning sht for the past how many years it's going to take some time for me to believe otherwise.
Old 02-06-09, 06:59 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Thread summary

-Acura #1 thread posted by Acura lover
-People post the logical and sound reasoning of how that happened. No one said Lexus should be #1 or anyone else should be #1 instead. All that was stated was the REASONING behind the win-Acura brigade comes in throwing the usual jabs at members/the forum b/c they don't read, they just want to bicker b/c people have the audacity to make sense of the findings
-Kill 1SICKLEX t-shirt sales up 39%
-Acura brigade joins like Voltron trying to make a point about members/the forum is biased like they are not biased, INSTEAD of contributing to the thread and the topic at hand
Try this:
- Acura #1 thread posted from reputable publication
- Haters irrationally denigrate win, throwing the usual jabs at members/the forum b/c they don't read, they just want to bicker b/c people have the audacity to post something positive about another brand
- 1SICKLEX post count up 10% because the word "Acura" was in the thread title
- A few unbiased members who appreciate other car brands make valid points but are drowned out by the emotional vitriol of the hate-Acura brigade
Old 02-06-09, 08:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Try this:
But that so-called "reputable publication" posting resale value ranking of cars by averaging all the models of a brand together is misleading, when in the real world, resale value rentention % varies among different models within the same brand, generally with the higher-end, high priced models depreciating more than the low priced, low-end models, & even within the same model, the V8 version depreciates faster than the V6 version, etc.
So it is very legitimate to say that brands with more models that are expensive will have their average pulled down by averaging all the models together.

I am sure BMW/merc have models that retain their values very well & comparable to other models in the same class, but if you have say, a V8 E550, a GS460, etc., or worse, a BMW 750/760Li, a Mercedes S600, S65, CL65 etc., those cars depreciates much faster because you don't get as much value with the premium you pay over the low-priced models.

The same is true with reliability rankings, the fact that you own any Honda or Toyota does not mean they will be the most reliable car you can expect to own, their reliability records do vary between models of the same brand.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-06-09 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-06-09, 09:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
Try this:
- Haters irrationally denigrate win, throwing the usual jabs at members/the forum b/c they don't read, they just want to bicker b/c people have the audacity to post something positive about another brand
- 1SICKLEX post count up 10% because the word "Acura" was in the thread title
- A few unbiased members who appreciate other car brands make valid points but are drowned out by the emotional vitriol of the hate-Acura brigade
That wasn't very good and it wasn't funny, try harder. The fact is we were in here trying to figure it out and YOU and your 4 cylinder fart-can click came in here crying foul and bashing members and the forum instead of sticking to the topic. You have the gall to say we hate things yet if Infiniti is mentioned, you go ape. So stop being the pot calling the kettle black.

Its in the thread. My post 7 is the truth. THey have the lowest MSRP and the RL resale is horrible. That is not hate. If you can't deal with it, I suggest being a fan of another brand.

Then you follow with post 16 "oh the hate is irrational" when the DEFENSE of Acura is irrational. THen posts what 21-26 or are your Vtach sticker fan club taking jabs at Toyota, the forum, etc.

Go back and read the thread, its right there.

Old 02-06-09, 10:12 AM
wmb
Rookie

Originally Posted by FKL

And believe me, I've experienced "german electronic gremlins" firsthand. My car had frayed wirring in headliner leading up to the homelink module. Kept throwing off a fuse, making the climatronic hvac, radio, horn, and interior lighting switch off completely. Somebody didn't give enough play for the wire at the factory, so when the visor was extended, it pinched, ultimately severing it partially, throwing a short through the system. These types of problems simply aren't on the new generation of cars. The Jetta and Passat, for example, have been selling in current form since early 2005. Their onboard electronic systems are of different vendors, the wirring bundling techniques are completely changed, and I have yet to see any "electronic gremlins" akin to their predecessor generations.
Ok ... example here it is.

Both my my brother and I bought BMW in 2006. He bought a 330IX beginning of 2006 and I bought mine which is a 325I mid-summer. His car's ac system is working sometime and sometime not. He brought it in multiple times and they still can't diagnosis it and it still happen till this day. His idrive screen blank sometime and it's in the shop agian to see if they can diagnosis. The hard part is it does not happen all the time so when he bring it in it's fine. This is a $45k car. My 325 is pretty good, love the handling of it. But it's been in the some more than 10 times due to ac not working and interior squeaking and sometime it does not start in the morning. I have to jump start it. Batteries is less than 2 years old .. come on. So I end up trading it in for a lexus RX350 in 2008. Don't get me wrong I love bmw but I hate visiting the dealership for these litte things. So would you call this first hand experiences ?

True that you said you heard these before but there's some true to it if you keep hearing it over and over again, no?

Quick Reply: 2009 ALG Residual Value Awards