Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC

By CL member request, a Review of the 2009 VW CC

http://www.vw.com/cc/en/us/

In a Nutshell: A nice semi-sports sedan.......but with some quirks.

By CL member request, I'm doing a review of the new VW CC. I have several other review requests pending, among them the all-new Audi Q5, the new redesigned Lexus RX, and the new BMW 7-series, but they are not available yet in my area. However, the new VW CC is, so I will go ahead and review it now.

VW recently introduced the all-new CC (the initials meaning "Comfort Coupe"), but in reality, despite the "Coupe" name, it is a mid-sized four-door sedan with frameless door glass windows and a steeply-raked, humpback-shaped roofline meant to simulate the roofline of a coupe. In this, it closely imitates the 4-door-coupe styling of the Mercedes CLS, although, IMO, the CC has a more handsome, less-awkward look than the CLS. The CC's lower beltline generally means that its windows are slightly less Peek-a-Boo-like side than on the CLS. The CLS, granted, has a handsomefront end, but, overall, IMO, looks more frumpy and less-well-done than the CC. And the CC, of course, is far less expensive.

The CC, for now, is marketed, in America, alongside the regular VW Passat sedan and wagon, but is, in some ways a different car. The roofline, of course, is radically different, and it is difficult to tell just which VW/Audi platform the CC came from. Some sources say it was done on the regular Passat platform; others say it was the closely-related (but not the same) Audi A4-A5 platform. Either way, it generally appeals to a different car-buying demographic than the regular Passat; a group that is more concerned with image, looks, and styling. VW has plans for another all-new sedan (not the CC) that slots, price-wise, between the Passat and Jetta, and is meant to be a new Camry-Accord fighter. There was a recent thread on CL about it. I hope to see it at the washington, D.C. Auto Show, and will probably review it in the future when it is available.

In the American market, VW markets the CC in essentially four different versions.....Sport, Luxury, VR6 Sport, and VR6 4MOTION. Sport and Luxury versions have the ubiquitous VW-Audi 2.0L turbo four; VR6 Sport and VR6 4MOTION the equally obiquitous 3.6L narrow-angle V6. The 4MOTION, of course, comes with the VW AWD system (essentially the same as Audi's Quattro). All versions except the base 4-cylinder Sport model get a standard 6-speed Tiptronic automatic with manual Sport-Shift; the base Sport model gets a choice of the Tiptronic or a conventional 6-speed manual.

As I see it, there are three major marketing mistakes here (and I plan to bring this up with the VW people at the D.C. Auto Show). First, the straight manual transmission should also be offered on the VR6 Sport version for enthusiasts, not just on the four (though the Turbo four is so gutsy that the VR6 is probably not needed....more on that below). Second, the AWD system should be an option on the four as well as the V6.....slippery roads don't care what kind of engine you have under the hood, and the turbo four has enough torque to handle the weight/drag of AWD. Third, and perhaps worst of all, the superb DSG (Direct-Shift-gearbox) transmission, which I have highly praised in earlier VW/Audi reviews, has apparantly been dropped in favor of the Tiptronic. VW and Audi also seem to be doing this on other models as well, probably due to (what else?)....cost-cutting. The Tiptronic is reportedly easier and cheaper to produce than the complex, multi-clutch DSG. While, of course, there is nothing wrong with the Tiptronic (it is basically a good smooth automatic), it lacks the immediate crispness and efficiency of the DSG.

I chose a 2.0T Luxury version for the review, figuring that this would be the version that a majority of CC buyers would look at first, though, admittedly, with the car's emphasis on image and styling, a substantial number will also look at the VR6. But I also knew, from prior experience on other VW-Audi reviews, that the 2.0T is a gutsy engine despite its small size, and can generally hold its own. The Luxury-trim leather interior is a real eye-catcher in the beige/black two-tone trim; even the console and seats are two-tone. The beige, which is actually an Ivory color, contrasts strongly with the black, and hits your eyes like a sledge hammer (see the posted images). Add to that VW's traditional bluish-purple/pinkish-red dash lighting at night, and you've got quite an interior to show off. Solid black is also available for those who prefer a more subdued, coal-mine-like atmosphere inside. Both color versions, depending on trim level, come with either V-Tex or Leather upholstry.

So, now let's see what VW's new "Comfort Coupe" sedan is actually like.

Model Reviewed: 2009 VW CC Luxury

Base Price: $31,990

(VW has $32,250 on the website, including freight, but that was the printed base price, without freight, on my test car)

Major Options:

Premium Sound System: $1000

Destination/Freight: $690

List Price as Reviewed: $33,680

Drivetrain: FWD, Transvserse-mounted 2.0L turbo in-line 4, 200 HP @ 5100-6000 RPM, Torque 207 ft-lbs. @ 1700-5000 RPM, 6-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission with manual Sport-Shift.

EPA Mileage Rating: 19 City, 29 Highway

Exterior Color: Candy White

Interior: Cornsilk Beige (yes....that's what VW calls it) Two-Tone.

PLUSSES:

Gutsy 2.0T four eliminates the need for a V6.

Regular gas can be used....unusual for a turbo.

Smooth, quiet Tiptronic automatic.

Fairly good ride/handling combination.

Good brake response/feel.

Handsome (IMO) exterior looks.

Relatively good underhood layout with 2.0L four except for battery cover.

Well-done exterior hardware and semi-gloss chrome.

Well-done interior metallic trim.

Relatively solid exterior sheet metal and doors

Superb paint job.

No extra charge for metallic paint colors, unlike many other German cars.

Dynamite interior looks with beige(ivory)/black two-tone.

Relatively nice seat leather.

Comfortable, form-fitting seats.

Superb, simple, easy-to use stereo *****/buttons (non-NAV version).

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Dual split-folding rear seats combined with lockable center pass-through.

Trunk lid has built-in grip for closing.

Well-finished trunk.

New Carefree Maintenance Package for 2009....see the web site for details.

MINUSES:

No AWD/4MOTION system available with 2.0T four.

No DSG gearbox....replaced with the Tiptronic.

Angled-turbo-fin alloy wheel design somewhat awkward-looking (IMO)

Underhood battery cover hinders access.

Relatively small trunk-lid opening from the sharply-angled roofline.

Temporary spare tire not suitable for a car of this price.

Awful (IMO) exterior color paint choice.

Munchkin rear headroom from low roofline.

Flimsy, thin-plastic steering-column stalks.

Confusing (at first) turn-signal and cruise-control stalks.

Partitioned rear seat means seating for only 4 adults.

Tight rear footroom for getting big feet in and out.

Cruise-control stalk can be confused with turn-signal level.

Peep-hole rear visibility from steeply slanted roofline.

Odd, semi-triangular shape for side mirrors cuts down on vision somewhat.

Potentially questionable reliability.

EXTERIOR:

The first impression you get of this car, of course, as you first walk up to it, is that of the similiar-looking but larger Mercedes CLS, though the CC has a more-signature VW grille, headlights, and taillights. The chrome front grille, on the upper part, is traditional VW. I'm generally not a fan of low, steeply-raked, humpback-whale rooflines, but VW, on the CC, has done a pretty nice job of both making it handsome-looking and integrating it in with the rest of the body.....certainly, IMO, much better than on the Mercedes CLS. But the low roofline does impact on rear-seat headroom and the size of the trunk lid.....more on that below. The taillights, IMO, are relatively good-looking, and the trunk lid has the typical, solid, well-done, VW push-logo emblem for the trunk release. The paint job is superb, and better, IMO, than on some more expensive BMWs I've looked at. The sheet metal, in typical VW fashion, is relatively solid and well-done (VW doesn't show much cost-cutting here), and the exterior trim/hardware is also solid and well done; some of it in traditional shiny chrome and some in a semi-gloss metallic. The outside mirrors are solid-feeling and snap/swivel easily and securely on their mountings. All four doors, hood, and trunk close reasonably solidly, though the side doors don't feel quite as solid as in some other VW products. I wasn't particularly impressed by the design of the 10 spoke, angled-fin turbo-blade design of the alloy wheels, however, that come with 2.0T models...to me, they looked too busy and garish (the VR6 wheels get a more conventional, 5-spoke mag-type design that I think is better looking). I also wasn't impressed with the factory paint colors....overall, some of the worst choices I've seen in a world full of dull, funeral-home shades. No greens or reds are offered at all. There is white, an off-white/gold, a rather dull blue, two shades of brown, three shades of silver/gray, and black. The one good thing about this choice, though, is that the metallics, at least, don't seem to be extra-cost as they are on most European cars. The two exterior side-mirrors have a rather odd semi-triangular shape that cuts down a little (but not seriously) on their field of coverage. There also seem to be a couple of errors on VW's web site on tire specs. The web site shows 2.0T models getting 55-series tires and VR6 models getting 40-series. ALL of the CC's I looked at today, both 2.0T, VR6, and 4MOTION, (and including my test car) had 45-series tires regardless of engine or trim.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the rather solid-feeling hood, and a nice gas strut, on the left side, holds it up for you...expected in this price class. There is a nice underhood insulation pad, which seems to be made of thick, substantial material. The overall underhood layout is pretty good, although the battery, to the right and rear of the engine, has an annoying plastic cover that hampers access. The transversely-mounted, 2.0L turbo four fits in at least fairly well, and, while tight on the sides and rear of the engine, there is room to reach components and hardware in front. The engine, like most these days, has an annoying plastic cover, but it allows some access underneath it to lower parts of the block and adjacent hardware. Dipsticks, filler caps, and reservoirs are all relatively easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

All CC's come with a choice of Black or Cornsilk Beige (actually Ivory)/Black interior in either V-Tex (leatherette) or full-leather. My test car had the Luxury-trim two-tone leather, and IMO, visually, it was stunning. The very light, almost-white ivory contrasts with the black like night and day. The two-tone effect on the seat cushions with seat back/sides, console, and lower dash adds even more eye-openers. Do you want to impresses a date on Friday or Saturday night? Here's an interior to make her (or him, if you're a lady doing the driving) take notice, along with a nice dinner, of course. I would have preferred to see some wood trim (it is not available), but all four versions come with very well-done Matte-Chrome or Brushed-Aluminum trim....almost as well-done as what you see in Audis. The power-front seats are quite comfortable and form-fit like a glove, although I was right on the limit of the range of wide-torsos and legs that could fit in without being squeezed by the rather sharp side bolsters. The seat leather quality was fairly nice; not as nice as in top-level Jaguars or Lexuses, but better than a number of other cars in this price range. The gauges are typically-VW round, clear, and easy-to-read, and have the traditional VW bluish-purple/pinkish-red lighting at night. The stereo buttons in my non-NAV car, again typical VW, are superb, with simple, round, easy-to-use buttons and ***** for everything that is clearly marked. VW, IMO, in its non-NAV cars, sets the industry standard for properly-designed stereo controls that are easy to use without taking your eyes off the road (Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes, and most NAV-equipped cars take notice). The stereo sound quality itself was excellent....almost to Lexus standards. The climate-control ***** and flasher-readings were not quite as easy to adjust as the stereo *****, but, in general, were also well-done.

The steering wheel is comfortable to hold and has nice-feeling leather-wrapping and stitching, though the spoke-mounted controls on it have a somewhat thin and flimsy feel to them. Ditto for the otherwise-excellent dash and stereo *****, which are superbly easy to use but have a thin, plasticky feel to them. The steering-column stalks for cruise-control and turn-signals, like most German-designed cars, have an especially thin and flimsy feel to them....they seem to come out of the same parts-bin supplier, regardless of the vehicle's price. And, like on some other German cars, the cruise-control stalk is placed just underneath the turn-signal lever, so that the two can be easily confused until you get used to them. Most of the interior hardware, apart from the dash ***** and steering column, seems solid and well-done. Legroom is fine for a person my size (6' 2") up front, OK but not quite as generous in back....and footroom, especially for getting my big size 15's in and out the rear door opening, is tight. Headroom, up front, under the low roof line and sunrof housing, again, is fine for a person my size, if you get the power-operated seat cushions way down. But, in back, headroom is clearly inadequate for taller adults, due to the non-adjustable rear seats and the low, raked roofline.....here, style pays its price. A cuphole-equipped partition splits the rear seat into just two occupants....you cannot add a third small adult or child in the middle. And, needless to say, you also have to watch your head, and bend it way down, getting in and out. Style also pays its price with the steeply-raked rear roofline impeding on rear vision, and providing a rather small peep-hole back for the driver.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the relatively solid trunk lid, like on most VW products, by pushing in on the top of the nice, SOLID VW-logo trunk-lid emblem. The size of the lid iteslf is significantly compromised by the long, low sweep-back of the roofline itself, but it opens up on silky-smooth, arcing trunk hinges to reveal a generally nicely-finished trunk compartment. The floor and sides of the compartment are covered in a thin but nice-feeling layer of black carpet. There is room inside for a reasonable amount of of packages and cargo; the trunk is deep enough for most grocery bags and luggage; and there is small cubby-hole built into the right wall. A temporary spare tire lies under the floor: IMO, a real spare should be in a car of this price. Both split-rear seats fold down to allow extra cargo space, and there is also a lockable small center-section that also folds down to carry long items like fishing poles or skis. I did't notice any remote-latches in the trunk so you could drop the rear seats while standing behind the car, but, admittedly, they can be hard to find sometimes if you don't know where they are....I have missed that once or twice before. And, when you are ready to close the trunk lid again, a built-in pull-down handle helps for shorter people.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous 2.0L Turbo four by inserting a box-shaped module into a dash hole and pushing. The engine fires up into a nice smooth idle; quiet, but not quite as noise-free as some other powerplants. On the road, this is a superb engine.....I have sampled it in a number of VW and Audi products, and have always had a high opinion of it. It combines some good gas mileage (for a turbo) with some REAL kick for a small four-cylinder. Abundant torque is available (according to VW specs) from just 1700 RPM all the way to 5000. I've come to the same conclusion on the CC that I have on other VW-Audi products with the 2.0T......that VW is under-rating the torque on this engine, perhaps for insurance reasons. The official figure of 207 ft-lbs, honestly, feels more like about 260, though, admittedly, not quite as responsive as the turbo fours in the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru STI, which are like rockets. VW quotes a 7.4 second 0-60 time, but, based on the admittedly limited workout I gave it today, it definitely feels faster than that. The engine/exhaust noise level, under acceleration, is not particularly quiet......exhaust chuffle does get in, but it is not loud or obtrusive. This engine would probably feel even more snappy if VW had seen fit to put in the DSG gearbox instead of the Tiptronic....more on that below. And more good news with the 2.0T.....unlike many turbos, regular gas can now be used in it, if you can give up a few HP. My strong recommendation on this car......don't pay extra for the VR6, unless you want (or need) the 4MOTION AWD, which (mistakenly, IMO), is not available with the 2.0T.

The 6-speed Tiptronic transmission with manual Sport-shift, while admittedly not as efficient or instantly-responsive as the DSG, is, nevertheless, a good, solid, smooth-shifting, quiet, automatic, whether in full-auto or manual Sport-Shift mode. The console-shifter has smooth, positive action, a nice fore-aft motion without any annoying zig-zags, and fairly good response.....enough, at least, to take some advantage of the 2.0T's excellent torque. A conventional 6-speed manual is available in base, 2.0T Sport models, but most drivers, most of the time, would probably want the Tiptronic, especially in urban or suburban traffic. Even so (I know I sound like a broken record here), I still miss the DSG with its superb engineering. The local VW people here say that VW elected to keep the DSG in Europe, because to keep putting it on American-spec cars would make them too expensive and uncompetitive (VW, like everybody else, has been losing money in America). That's something I'm going to try and verify with the VW corporate people at the D.C. Auto Show this week.

Handling, as with most German-designed cars, was pretty good, and the chassis/suspension/tires, overall, show a good ride-handling compromise. Steering feel, from the electro-mechanical power-steering system, was fairly good, though, of course, not as tactilly superb as a BMW. Steering response was reasonably, but not sports-car-quick. Cornering was fairly flat, with little body roll, and the ride comfort from the 45-series tires was borderline firm, especially on bumps, but not uncomfortable. The well-bolstered front seats I described above held you pretty much in place no matter what the car was doing. Road/tire noise was well-controlled, even on rough/coarse surfaces, as was wind noise from the effective insulation. Brakes had the classic German semi-sport-sedan feel (not all VW brakes do, BTW).....quick response, lack of sponginess, and smooth pedal feel. The brake pedal design and placement also caused no problems with my big size-15 clown-shoes hanging up under either the brake or gas pedal, like on some cars.....with a conventional manual transmision, that, of course, helps for heel-and-toe downshifting for RPM-matching.

THE VERDICT:

VW, overall, has come up with a nice, stylish, alternative to regular Passat sedan and wagon models, for those who want something with a little more of the Saturday-Night look. The interior look, especially with two-tone models, is a real knockout. The 2.0T engine, like in other VW/Audi products, gets the job done so well that I see little reason for the VR6. While the loss of the oustanding DSG transmission is notable, its Tiptronic replacement is a nice alternative, and I could easily live with it. Brakes are German-sedan smooth, and the underhood layout, with the 2.0T, is not bad. The paint job is superb.....VW has improved quite a bit in this area lately, and the stereo, easy-to-use stereo controls, generally good ride/handling combination, and well-finished trunk are not likely to disappoint. And VW has tossed in a new maintenance package this year.

But, like with all cars, there are flies in the ointment as well. VW won't sell the 4MOTION AWD system with the 2.0T, even though the 2.0T could easily handle the extra weight/drag of AWD, and VR6 AWD versions can get pricey....I saw some today for 40K and up. The steering-column stalksare a mess, and feel flimsy as well. The Humpty-Dumpty roofline, while better-looking than the one on the Mercedes CLS, takes a big toll on rear headroom, rear entry/exit, rear visibility, and the size of the trunk lid. And, as with all VW's there is, of course, the question of reliability.......its sister car, the Passat, according to Consumer Reports, varied from average to much-worse-then-average, depending on year and model.

But, overall, the CC is a nice car to drive. If you like the styling, don't need a roomy rear seat, and want a snappy powertrain without big-engine running costs or (maybe) insurance, this car might be worth a look.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-09 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 02:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for another great review mmarshall!

I have to say this is the finest VW to come along outside of the Pheaton.

I like these "coupe" sedans.
Old 02-01-09, 02:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Thanks for another great review mmarshall!
Thanks.

I have to say this is the finest VW to come along outside of the Pheaton.

I like these "coupe" sedans.
Yes, it drives nice, and has an eye-opening interior, but the stylish roofline pays its price in several areas.
Old 02-01-09, 04:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting car, thanks for the review. As big as the CC supposedly is, the wheelbases is short and the overhangs long, not the ideal setup for a sport sedan. Back seat has decent leg and knee room, rear head room is slightly tight for taller passengers.

I like the CC's roofline and the CLS, kind of the chop top gangster car look. Take a hard look at the Lexus IS and you can see the similarities including coupe-like fastback roof line, high belt line, short side windows, short back window, compromised rear head room, short rear deck, etc.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-01-09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Nice review Mike, in reviewing Clarkson and now your review, IMO, you should clearly be getting paid to do this.

It looks pretty nice on the road, with a drop and bigger wheels surely superb.

Old 02-01-09, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Interesting car, thanks for the review.
Sure. Anytime.

As big as the CC supposedly is, the wheelbases is short and the overhangs long, not the ideal setup for a sport sedan.
Yes and no. Actually the overhangs are not that long, unles you compare them to, say, a BMW 3-series or an extreme case like a Mini Cooper.

You are partially correct about long overhangs and sportiness. They have a leverage-weight effect on the front end that tends to make the front end understeer, but, at the same time, moving the wheels out to the ends of the car extends the wheelbase, increases the turning radius, and maybe decreasing agility in tight turns. So, like many other things on a car, the engineers have to go for a compromise. Ride comfort is also a factor......all other things equal, the longer the overhang, the softer the ride (to an extent), because the weight of the overhangs tends to absorb upward spring impact and doesn't transmit it to the rest of the car. But very long overhangs can make the car float and porpoise.

Back seat has decent leg and knee room, rear head room is slightly tight for taller passengers.
Yes. Agreed. But getting big shoes between the rear seat edge and door jamb, getting in or out, can be a problem. And, at 6' 2", I had to also bend my head way down gettting in and out.
Old 02-01-09, 05:57 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Strong Teutonic influences, namely Mercedes. Nice move away from the staid Baroque look. I like it...
Old 02-01-09, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review Mike, in reviewing Clarkson and now your review, IMO, you should clearly be getting paid to do this.
I didn't know Clarkson was also doing the same car right now.

Thanks, Mike. Money is not a problem with me. I have no big debts and I make good money (or at least all I need), even in my retirement, from my Federal pension and all my tax-free bond investments.

As far as I'm concerned, if my reviews, done mostly by CL or non-CL request, help other people spend THEIR money wisely on a vehicle purchase and get what THEY need (something you and I can both agree that a lot of people don't do), then the satisfaction of helping someone is "payment" enough for me.

I could probably be a part of the regular auto press if I really wanted it bad enough (I've been offered a couple of auto-writing positions in local town newspapers, and Autoweek magazine used to publish some stuff I sent in) but, for a number of reasons, I don't care to do that. I worked for 37 years, 33 of them in the Government, and it's now retirement for me.

It looks pretty nice on the road, with a drop and bigger wheels surely superb.
Can't drop it much more; it is already fairly low-slung for a sedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 07:37 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Good reading, I enjoyed it.

The CC is based on the Passat platform, just to be clear. The b6 passat is really a stretched golf platform. Not really related to the new a4/a5 (b8).
Old 02-01-09, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Good reading, I enjoyed it.
Thanks.

The CC is based on the Passat platform, just to be clear. The b6 passat is really a stretched golf platform. Not really related to the new a4/a5 (b8).
That's my understanding, too (that it is a Passat derivitive), but some sources put it on the Audi A4/A5 platform, which, admittedly, is very similiar to that of the Passat.
Old 02-01-09, 07:49 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

who on earth would say something like that?
Old 02-01-09, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Some auto-mag reviews.....I don't remember exactly which ones.
Old 02-01-09, 09:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

VW hasn't offered the DSG on the Passat's yet. Just on the GTI/GLI and R32 I believe. Most Americans would feel that the Tiptronic is smoother in overall day to day driving use, which is a lot of the reason why VW hasn't put it on the American VW's and even the American Audi's. Hopefully they'll put the 7 speed DSG on the U.S. S4 coming soon.

I find the CC, and the IS-F and the X6 odd in their replacement of the middle rear seat with plastic consoles rather than the seat. I know the middle seats are largely useless, but it'd be nice to have in a pinch.
Old 02-01-09, 10:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

Yes and no. Actually the overhangs are not that long, unles you compare them to, say, a BMW 3-series or an extreme case like a Mini Cooper.

You are partially correct about long overhangs and sportiness. They have a leverage-weight effect on the front end that tends to make the front end understeer, but, at the same time, moving the wheels out to the ends of the car extends the wheelbase, increases the turning radius, and maybe decreasing agility in tight turns. So, like many other things on a car, the engineers have to go for a compromise. Ride comfort is also a factor......all other things equal, the longer the overhang, the softer the ride (to an extent), because the weight of the overhangs tends to absorb upward spring impact and doesn't transmit it to the rest of the car. But very long overhangs can make the car float and porpoise.

Yes the overhangs are long and the wheelbase relatively short compared to the premium cars that are outselling it smartly (C-class, 3 series, ISx50) which is correct. The long overhangs are typical of front wheel drive cars and are a poor way to engineer soft ride comfort, I doubt that's the goal. Suspension tuning for comfortable ride and reasonable handling compromise is easier to achieve with a car that has wheels closer to the ends (and a reasonably wide track too). The long overhangs are more a result of packaging a cab forward front wheel drive configuration with intended good space utliization. Long overhangs are not a positive sportiness attribute.

And typically a longer wheelbase rwd car will have a better turning radius than a shorter wheelbase fwd car in this size category, which again is completely correct for fairly obvious reasons. I agree that an excessively long wheelbase is not a good attribute for sporty responsive handling and none of the cars in the CC class go that route for a variety of reasons.

Maybe a better way to clarify the somewhat long overhangs and somewhat shorter wheelbase is to emphasize that this is a front wheel drive platform with the pro's and con's that go with this layout, so that layout and dynamics will be different from the nearly perfectly balanced rwd sport sedan layout. But I certainly don't want to knock the strides that Audi has made with the fwd A4 and it's much improved balance (based on many of these topics discussed) and layout which now includes a longer wheelbase, wider track and better location of the front engine for improved weight distribution.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-01-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 10:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I agree, what type of mag/publication would say that???

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC