Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy shots: BMW 7-series hybrid caught with no disguise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 10:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Spy shots: BMW 7-series hybrid caught with no disguise

Spy shots: BMW 7-series hybrid caught with no disguise

The new hybrid limo will do battle against the likes of Mercedes-Benz's S400 and Lexus' LS 600hL

Hybrid drive systems are finally making solid inroads into the upper strata of the luxury sedan segment, with BMW's 7-series hybrid set to join the Mercedes-Benz S400 and Lexus LS 600hL later this year. The new 7-series hybrid was previewed as a concept at last year's Paris Motor Show, but today we have new spy photos of the car completely free of disguise.

Mercedes released the first details for its S400 BlueHYBRID late last year, and confirmed the car for a mid-2009 launch date, putting it a half-step ahead of the 7-series, as the production 7-series hybrid is expected to go on sale late this year or in early 2010 after a debut in Frankfurt in September.

While Mercedes’ S400 BlueHYBRID features an electric drive system mated to a 3.5L V6 powerplant, BMW’s new Concept 7-Series ActiveHybrid is based around the 4.4L V8 750i model. The concept car features the standard 407hp (303kW) and 442lb-ft (600Nm) V8 powerplant mated to a 20hp (15kW) and 155lb-ft (210Nm) electric motor. Other standard hybrid features, such as regenerative braking, automatic stop-start and optimized aerodynamics, are also present on the 7-series ActiveHybrid concept, and are expected to show on the final car as well.

Compared with the non-hybrid model, the new ActiveHybrid is said to improve fuel-economy by up to 15%. Mercedes, meanwhile, claims that its S400 BlueHYBRID runs 21% more efficiently than the standard S350. Both cars will feature lithium-ion battery systems, though Mercedes is planning to be the first carmaker in the world to market with such a system in a mass-produced vehicle.

The new 7-series hybrid will feature BMW’s version of the modular two-mode hybrid system jointly developed with Daimler, Chrysler and General Motors. The system features a pair of electric motors located within the transmission and can provide electric only drive at low speeds or act as a performance booster at high load.
Source
Old 01-30-09, 11:09 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems as if BMW is going to go for the performance hybrid segment by mating their 750 v8 to the hybrid drivetrain. That may not be a bad move, consididering people still want performance, a la the 600H and 450H.
Old 01-30-09, 11:47 AM
legit
Pole Position

Hmm...interesting tailpipes.
Old 01-30-09, 12:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tail pipe cut outs are integrated into the bumper while the pipes don't even connect into them so that means...

THE NEW 7 IS A POS!!!!!

BMW IS CHEAP!

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

PERFORMANCE? YOU CAN'T HAVE PERFORMANCE WITHOUT PIPES THAT ACTUALLY TOUCH THE VISUAL CUT OUT!

BMW COST CUTTING AT IT'S BEST!

DOESN'T MATTER THAT R8 AND OTHERS HAVE THIS EXHAUST FORMAT, BMW IS CHEAP! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

BMW = PERFORMANCE? NO! BMW = TEH POSER! MUHAHAHA

End IS-F Rant.
Old 01-30-09, 01:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Looks almost as clean as an LS, not bad.
Old 01-30-09, 01:20 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Tail pipe cut outs are integrated into the bumper while the pipes don't even connect into them so that means...

[b]

THE NEW 7 IS A POS!!!!!

BMW IS CHEAP!
The problem isn't a psuedo tip (many cars have this, as discussed ad nauseum), it's the way the psuedo tips are done. It's ugly and bizzare on the is-f (double stacked).
Old 01-30-09, 01:26 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Lookin' very LSish in the rear...
Old 01-30-09, 01:44 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
The problem isn't a psuedo tip (many cars have this, as discussed ad nauseum), it's the way the psuedo tips are done. It's ugly and bizzare on the is-f (double stacked).
While the ISF has caught some flack for visual look of the stacked exhausts, most of the criticism around the internet has been based on how the tail pipes don't actually connect into the cut outs in the bumper...chief among the antagonizers are BMW fanboys.

Now BMW is using the exact same execution. Hmmm...let me guess...now it's ok and it looks great and isn't cheap?
Old 01-30-09, 01:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about bmw fanboys, but I just always perceived it as looking a bit off track in the way it was executed.
Old 01-30-09, 02:23 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't know about bmw fanboys, but I just always perceived it as looking a bit off track in the way it was executed.
It was the whole fake thing, because as Ferrari did it with the California, it hasn't had as much criticism as the IS-F
Old 01-30-09, 02:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

17% more efficient? I'm not impressed.
Old 01-30-09, 04:02 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I think I like the look, nice and clean. IMO, bimmers got a little over done there for a bit, I think there's definitely something to be said for understated power.

Definitely positioned directly against the LS.

re: tail pipes - who cares if the cosmetic tips are attached or not, so long as everything gets blown out it's fine.
Old 01-30-09, 04:09 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
It was the whole fake thing, because as Ferrari did it with the California, it hasn't had as much criticism as the IS-F
yeah I completely understand where you're coming from. The car did seem to be treated unfairly in that regard. Like I said, I just don't like the way it looks (double stacked looks tacky, imo). This 7-series/r8/ferarri/porsche gt all look a little less...overdone is the word I guess I am looking for. With that said, there's nothing more badass than the front end of a white IS-F.
Old 01-30-09, 05:18 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20hp elec. motor? interesting... it's no better than an Honda's IMA mild hybrid system but at least it'll have regenerative braking (how much are BMW brake pads??) and auto stop/start. It may have a price advantage on the hybrid system but given that a 7 Series is more expensive to begin, the overall/final MSRP might still be higher than an LS600h L.
Old 01-30-09, 05:41 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

It reminds me of this:

Quick Reply: Spy shots: BMW 7-series hybrid caught with no disguise