Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda S2000 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 09:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Damn it, I was expecting to see the 2010 model with an Acura beak on it.
And a boat tail, 5 speed auto tranny, SOHC V6 too.
Old 08-12-09, 11:03 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
The S2000 was certainly a niche car. AMAZING engine. I had a boss that had one of these.

My only real complaint with it was the size. It's not at all a practical car...it's got to be a second car. Trunk-space is a joke! I remember riding along with my boss to a sales call, with my briefcase stuck between my knees the whole time (there was only room for one briefcase in the trunk...no joke).
That is very strange BC my father has an 1999 AP1 and I was blown away by that car because it is one of the only convertibles that you can fit 2 full sets of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down. I agree that inside there is no storage compartments and it is laugable how much space you have. But I remember when he bought his, I could only come up with a few other cars that one could fit 2 full size golf bags in the trunk.

1)Ford Mustang BLEHHH
2)Merc SL BLING BLING 3 times the price.

The new 3 series and G37 and the IS-C can all probably fit clubs but with the top up. What is the point of having a vert if you cant drive to the golf course with the top down? You cant do that with the 350Z or the C5 or C6 converts. Definetly cant do it in the Miata.

You would not believe it untill you try putting them in there. I said no freaken way the first time I saw the trunk but an entire summer of golf later, I was sold on the cars trunk size.

The lack of tourque on the other hand....
Old 08-12-09, 11:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Damn it, I was expecting to see the 2010 model with an Acura beak on it.
LMAO, thats too funny. Sad and true, but still funny. Good one madmax.
Old 08-13-09, 04:11 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw this coming.
Old 05-11-14, 11:28 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 Honda S2000 - Self-Satisfaction

A love affair with an age-defying S2000.

If you've ever built, are currently in the midst of building, or plan to build a Honda in the future, there's something you should keep in mind: You won't please everyone no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try. Read that last line again, take a moment and allow it to sink in, and then continue reading. From your friends to your family to random strangers who might catch a glimpse of your car plastered on a forum or social media outlet, there's always going to be someone acting as your "build manager" even when you've never actually requested their services. That's right, people you've never even met before will be quick to tell you exactly what your car "needs" and why it would be so much better if it were slammed to the ground or armed with this part or that. For some, the comments become somewhat influential and can alter one's vision. For others, like Jared Aguila, owner of this pristine Berlina Black AP2 Honda S2000, those foreign voices fall on deaf ears.

Best described as a full-blown love affair, Jared met his match back in 2005 while motoring around town in the RSX he owned at the time. He recalls, "I stopped in at Pasadena Honda for a little window shopping. While I was walking through the cars, a new black S2000 pulls up, just having finished a testdrive. I wasn't even thinking about purchasing a car that day," he says. The truth is, he didn't have to think about it—his expression was more than enough to convince the salesman that he'd just witnessed love at first site in the automotive sense. "He saw my face and asked if I wanted to take it for a spin," he says. As Jared stirred through the gears of the rear-wheel-drive two-seater, any thoughts of keeping and modifying the RSX were forever erased, as visions of long-term roadster bliss filled his head. "After that testdrive, I was sold!" he says. "The car was quick, handled like a go-kart, and was the only color I wanted ... black!"

Like any eager enthusiast, Jared viewed his new purchase as a blank canvas and started conjuring up all of the different paths he could pursue. While some opt for the wild side, like widebody aero, massive turbo power and over-the-top, ultra-aggressive wheels, Jared looked for a more simplistic style with a goal of building something that would look just as good now as it will 10 years from now. Not unlike any other Honda S2000 owner, a hardtop was at the very top of Jared's priority list and the Mugen hardtop that he purchased and installed shortly after bringing the car home has only been removed once ... during this photo shoot. To complement the roof, an Amuse R1 front bumper and ASM duckbill spoiler were installed and the S2K's flanks were fitted with Downforce carbon-fiber diffusers. All of that is great, but if you ask Jared, the crowning piece of his roadster is no doubt the Mugen M7s that sit proudly at all four corners. But unlike the staggered, 16/17-inch fitment offered by Mugen originally, this S2000 uses only the rears from two different sets of NSX-spec M7s. That's right, four of the taller, wider rears are on duty and suit the car perfectly (see sidebar for more info).

Black cars have long been vilified for being notoriously tough to maintain and keep clean, and you'd be hard pressed to find one cleaner than Jared's. He proudly points out that 85 percent of the Honda S2000 remains draped in its original factory paint, the other 15 percent applied to the aftermarket body pieces that had to be color matched before installation. Maintaining the car's incredibly clean surface is due in part to help from friend and car care aficionado, Brian Jimenez, aka MTK Kommander. Jimenez has applied a combination of high-end products from Swissvax and Menzerna, along with good old-fashioned hands-on experience ever since Jared first took ownership of the car and the result is a glass-like finish. Under the highly polished Mugen hardtop cap, inside the cabin, you'll find a set of Mugen S1 bucket seats matched to a Mugen Racing II steering wheel and ARC shift ****.

The engine bay of most Honda S2000 these days is a bit of a mixed bag. Some remain almost completely stock, relishing in all of the high-revving fun that Honda engineers packed into the roadster from the factory, while others hunt for anything north of 400 hp by means of forced induction. Jared's intentions lie somewhere in the middle, focusing on basic mods surrounded by a unique, minimalist look. A mild list of go-fast goods includes a Mugen carbon-fiber intake that channels incoming air to the Skunk2 70mm throttle body and Ballade Sports intake manifold, where it's then met by a complete Supertech valvetrain and sent to the atmosphere via Ballade Sports' signature header and J's Racing 60RS exhaust system. Many of the engine bay's native parts have been removed, reworked, or relocated thanks to friend and wiring guru, Ryan Basseri of Rywire Motorsport Electronics. In fact, Jared's AP2 served as the test mule for a few kits that Rywire now offers to the public through their website. The once intrusive ABS system and its spider-like tubing has been reserved, but moved to a large cavity behind the driver-side fender and remains fully functional. A custom Rywire mil-spec wiring harness incorporates an AEM EMS V2 and cleans up the factory spaghetti, while the headlight harnesses were tucked completely out of sight. Rywire also relocated the fuse box and battery and a portion of that real estate was filled with a T1 Race Development catch can that mirrors that of the T1 overflow tank located just in front of the driver-side shock tower. Rywire's custom radiator and Circuit Hero coil pack cover are the finishing pieces of the puzzle.

Like any torrid love affair, issues have come up, and with all of the highs, Jared also experienced some of the low points. He adds, "Putting this car together has been a storybook of a ride. I've definitely built some great relationships with this car. Not just friends who are local, but friends in different states, even other countries. I've also seen people who I thought were my close friends show their true colors and disappoint in broken promises with this build. With the ups and downs of a never-ending build, the ultimate goal has always been achieved—self-satisfaction ..."

Bolts & Washers
Propulsion
F22C
AEM EMS V2
Supertech valvesprings
Supertech titanium retainers
Supertech keepers
Mugen intake system
Skunk2 70mm throttle body
Ballade Sports 69mm intake manifold
Ballade Sports header
J's Racing 60rs exhaust
Berk Technology 63.5mm test pipe
Full Blown fuel rail
T1 Race Development catch can/overflow
Rywire custom radiator
Rywire mil-spec engine harness
Rywire ground kit
Rywire tucked headlight harness
Rywire tucked fuse box
Circuit Hero coilpack cover
Mugen oil cap
ARC cooling plate
Ballade Sports timing chain tensioner

Power
230 hp/155 lb-ft of torque

Suspension
Tein Type Flex
Ballade Sports driveshaft spacers
Evasive-spec street/track alignment

Resistance
Powerslot rotors
Rywire ABS relocation kit
Goodrich brake lines
Motul RBF600 fluid

Wheels & Tires
Mugen M7s 17x9 +46 (4 NSX-spec rears)
Falken FK452
Front: 225/45-17
Rear: 245/40-17
Mugen MF10 17x7.5/8.5 (S2000-spec)

Exterior
Amuse R1 front bumper
Mugen hardtop
Downforce side diffusers
ASM duckbill spoiler
Evans Autobody paintwork

Interior
Mugen S1 seats
Buddy Club seat rails
Mugen Racing II steering wheel
MOMO wheel hub
ARC shift ****

Props
Ryan, Der, and David at Rywire; Matt at ICB Motorsports; Alex, Fatkid, and Kev at Ballade Sports; James and Andy at 161822; Drail, Eric, and Sheng at JHPUSA; Mike and Darryl at Evasive; Frank at Downstar/Boltboys; Joey Lee of the Chronicles; MTK Kommander; Nate at Nastie Garage; Takeshi Kobayashi of Type_K Autosource; Jay Villavicencio; Supertwinz John and James; Big Mike; s2x Sam; MrMarty Chen; Matt Rodrez; my lovely girlfriend, Leslie (thank you for putting up with the crazy car life); and lastly to the DPK Garagelife and ATS*Garage USA family for all of the inspiration and support.

Owner Specs
Daily Grind
Medical Imaging button pusher and head of personal sales at Rywire

Favorite Site
stickydiljoe.com aka The Chronicles

Screen Name
dpk_jared

Building Hondas
14 years

Dream Car
Porsche 356 Speedster

Inspiration For This Build
Amseven Jeremy Gilman's '00 black ITR

Future Build
'87 Porsche 911 Carrera

Wheelin' and Dealin'
After contacting friends and collectors in search of incredibly rare NSX-spec Mugen M7s, Jared stumbled upon a set for sale on S2ki.com and wasted no time in purchasing them. That's where the story should have ended, but didn't. Miraculously, another set popped up for sale in Washington and looked to be even cleaner than his. Jared quickly sold his M7s and was able to grab the set in Washington before they sold to anyone else. A few months passed and Jared started toying with thoughts of running NSX-spec rear wheels at all four corners. And though the chances of finding another rare set was quite low, lightning, in fact, struck one more time as he got word that a local guy had sold his NSX and he'd kept his M7s. He adds, "I called him and we semi-agreed on a price over the phone and I met up with him. I had cash in hand and my negotiating cap on. He would not budge. He was so firm on the price that he even raised it because it didn't 'feel right' to him. I was so pissed, but went to the bank to get more money." Cash and wheels were exchanged and after shaking hands, loading the wheels, and saying goodbye, the seller suddenly changed his mind and asked to forget the whole thing. Jared's response, "I just smiled and said thanks for doing business with me, but giving them back isn't an option." Now that's self-satisfaction.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f...5_honda_s2000/
Old 05-11-14, 11:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

great story. thanks for sharing
Old 05-11-14, 12:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't care for those wheels but nice project
Old 05-11-14, 04:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The interior looks outdated, but it's simple and effective.

I hate you Honda. Bring back a successor.
Old 05-11-14, 04:41 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Post Honda S2000 to be reborn

Honda is set to revive the S2000 and bring us an all-new small sports roadster

Honda is set for a massive transformation from sensible to sporty, and leading the revolution are three new sports cars, which include a spiritual successor to the S2000 and an all-new NSX.

Like the original Honda S2000, this mid-engined sports car – revealed in our exclusive image - is set to be a coupe rather than a convertible and it will sit in the middle of the three cars.

The Honda S660 with its three-cylinder turbo engine will sit below it, while the the hybrid Honda NSX will be the manufacturer's flagship performance model.

A Honda insider told us about a secret in-house meeting at Honda's Tochigi R&D centre in Japan to discuss the potential for this new mid-sized sports car, which would be part of the world’s first-ever mid-engined trio of sports cars from one manufacturer. From what we’ve heard, there’s a strong chance this new Honda S2000 will get the green light.

The Honda S2000 is similar in looks to the S660 and NSX, with all three cars getting sharp lines, a bold grille and narrow headlights giving them a character unlike any of Honda’s current models.

Hybrid tech to combine performance and economy

Under the skin of the new Honda S2000, we’ve been told to expect a revised version of the 2.0-litre 350bhp turbo engine, which will power the next generation Honda Civic Type R.

Some hybrid tech - developed in conjunction with the McLaren Formula 1 team - should also feature and it's set to allow for 0-62mph in around five seconds, but with an economy of around 40mpg.

Honda is looking at adding a simplified version of the all-wheel-drive petrol-electric system used in the NSX.

The mid-size Honda S2000 replacement will be the last of Honda's three new sports cars to arrive and it's expected to go on sale in 2017 for around £35,000. The new Honda NSX is expected to arrive by the first part of 2015, making it the first of the new models to go into production.

The new Honda NSX will be powered by a V6 engine and three electric motors, which develop more than 400bhp. The front wheels get one motor each for the ultimate in torque vectoring. Honda is aiming for a price of around £100,000.

The Honda S660, meanwhile, is first expected to arrive in Japan towards the end of 2015. It'll be powered by a 600cc, 64bhp engine, although a more powerful 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder is rumoured to be on the way for Europe.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/8...0-to-be-reborn
Old 05-11-14, 04:46 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like a mix of the S660 and NSX.

Old 05-11-14, 05:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd wish they call it something else. The "S" were historically roadsters, not coupes.
Old 05-11-14, 05:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'd wish they call it something else. The "S" were historically roadsters, not coupes.
I think they made both coupe and roadster versions of the "S" prior to the S2000, which was a roadster only model.

Last edited by Och; 05-11-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 06:13 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's about time Honda started getting back to their roots.

I guess trying to imitate Camry's & Corollas didn't go too well for them.
Old 05-11-14, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

I hate you Honda. Bring back a successor.
Let's see what the next-generation Miata brings.
Old 05-11-14, 07:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

coupe looks haut

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 thread