Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 08:27 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Next Generation Corolla

Hey guys-

I’m currently working on a project for the next generation Corolla—now, I know this is a Lexus forum and not a lot of people here would be in the market for a Corolla anyway, but I’d still like to hear your opinions (Especially those of Generation Y)

Please do not include the performance aspect of the vehicle for this feedback; Only focus on exterior and interior design.

What do you like or dislike about the design of the current corolla? Please be as brutally honest as possible!!!

Some common adjectives that come to mind with the corolla are boring, bland, forgettable. Any additions?

*Please keep in mind that this vehicle starts at just under $16,000

Old 01-26-09, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

coworker just got one, making 38 mpg on it
Old 01-26-09, 08:39 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's so new about it?

that's about as brutal as i can get
Old 01-26-09, 08:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They really need more cutting edge engines in the car. I am disappointed with the 1.8L 4AT combo. In 2009 that is virtually unacceptable. 132hp would be decent with a 5 or 6AT and they need an option with 200hp, not 158. The next car needs a 6AT/6MT at least.

Additionally, the XRS looks good but they could have done a bit more to the BODY of the car to make it visually appealing, not rely on 17" wheels and body cladding to add flair. Make the actual BODY look good.

All in all I would just say something that is more interesting. The engines are blah, the interior is nice but blah, and the exterior looks like a warmed up version of the last generation. Additionally, little things like rear disc brakes and projector headlights do make a difference to some people. The Corolla is just not as polished or compelling of a package as the Mazda 3 and some other competitors.

I am 21, for what that's worth.
Old 01-26-09, 08:59 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Wonderful, thanks for the input so far-- and thanks MPLexus301 for throwing in your age-- That helps me know what generation I'm getting input from

Essentially, Toyota is realizing that their core customer base are baby boomers and we need to appeal more to younger (generation Y) customers. Scion is doing a decent job in that, however, Toyota wants to make cars like the Corolla also more appealing to younger age groups, perhaps the non-tuner gen Y group.

Please keep the feedback coming-- I will be working with Calty on the Corolla and any idea and suggestions that I can bring to the table will be extremely helpful!
Old 01-26-09, 09:14 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The fact is Toyota is being WAY too conservative with the design with the Corolla. It is a corolla and will sell no matter what (well as long as it doesn't look like the early 80's 5 door hatchback). The S/XRS needs a totally different front bumper from the LE/XLE, different interior trim and a unique engine (well, the XRS already has that, but with a bit more power).

How about a coupe and even a 3 door hatch like the European versions?

I'm 26 by the way with too many kids and I need something fun and economical
Old 01-26-09, 09:44 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 24 with no kids and want something fun,casual, and not boring looking .
make the headlights more like a IS

Toyota should be ashamed of that interior (exept for the gated shifter)...just look at some of the competion!!!!

Civic Interior (futuristic)

Sentra Interior (blocky but more upscale looking than the corolla)

Mazda3 Interior (Luxurious in class)

Last edited by suislide; 01-26-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 09:55 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

exterior is great, interior needs work, just by getting rid of that plastic silver trim will go miles in setting the bar above the competitors.
Old 01-26-09, 09:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

You might want to also consider the thoughts of older generations, too. Several members of my family have been interested or have Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Those that are interested particularly made the point that they don't want this vehicle to keep getting bigger. The Yaris is about the size that I remember the Corolla from way back. Now maybe it might not seem important to some, but in some areas where parallel parking is the norm (I can remember Washington, DC for sure) big cars are a no-no, you won't find a parking space.

In addition, I'd always keep the option in any car for being able to fold down the rear seats so one can have access to a longer storage space from the trunk forward (some people don't have the luxury of buying a bigger car).

On the radio, put a real **** (not two buttons or something else) that you can tune the stations with. This is something I didn't like in my old 90 325i Conv. (had a single switch to push up or down to tune stations) nor in my RX300 (two buttons). This always seemed to drive my older relatives nuts (who grew up with a **** to tune stations, even digitally).

I do agree, make the headlights more like the IS. I don't like how the current Corolla or Camry headlights stick out a bit (nor the taillights). This looks weird.
Old 01-26-09, 09:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'm 22 and I think it's a semi sporty looking car. I'd be interested in one, but I refuse to give my AWD. My sister had a 5MT Corolla S. I liked it.
Old 01-26-09, 10:02 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by suislide
I'm 24 with no kids and want something fun,casual, and not boring looking .
make the headlights more like a IS
I dont think IS owners would want the Corolla to be similar to IS.

The more distinct the better..
Old 01-26-09, 10:09 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I like the exterior of the new Corolla. I liked the last generation interior much more.
Old 01-26-09, 10:13 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about using the HS250 for reference?
Old 01-26-09, 10:18 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

head light projectors should be the standard now for every company. including foglights and rear fog lights that work with the headlights off like they were meant to.

trd should come up with a lot of upgrades. not toys. i want real upgrades.
Old 01-26-09, 10:26 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I'm getting some great feedback here-- Thank you all for taking the time to type out your suggestions and thoughts here! This will come in handy, so I really appreciate it.

suislide thank you for posting the interior pictures to compare-- That was nice to see side by side comparisons, especially with the Mazda, considering Mazda has the lowest median age of customer in the whole industry (for the US), so Mazda is a good one to compare to.

Lexmex, thanks for adding your opinions here- I definitely do want to get some feedback from generations other than Gen Y as well-- so thank you for that!

lexusscturbo, I've been looking in that thread as well, especially since people have compared it to the corolla body--

Thanks so much everyone--

Quick Reply: Next Generation Corolla