Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why so much hate for the SC 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, at least it's something different. I get so tired, when I review vehicles, of looking at the color chips for the paint and seeing the same stuff, car after car. It's almost always the same 6 or 7 colors.......blue, dark red/burgandy, white, silver, gray, and black.
Yes, it seems like 9 of 10 cars around here are plain silver, I get so tired of that color.................................zzzzz....................
Old 01-27-09, 11:12 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is a limited production model. 12k the first year, 10k the next 5 years I believe. They sold out until recently.
Well. Toyota also sold 30k LC/Lx470 in 2000. Toyota made the right call by making the Sequoia which ate a lot of those sales. Same applies to the SC and the decision to make the ISc.

The SC had good numbers back then but those times are over. Even if Lexus made a new SC, it would not sell near what it sold in 2001.

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-27-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-27-09, 02:04 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it since it costs too high for what little hp you get. It is an ugly car as well. That is strictly a personal preference but most of my work peers agree with me. It has the image of a "chick" car.
Old 01-28-09, 09:32 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I actually think the Toyota Solara and its big but looks like an SC for half the cost.
Old 01-28-09, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I think the "lipstick on a pig" saying has some merit with this car. With expensive wheels and coilovers the car certainly looks better.
Old 01-28-09, 09:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Fremont Lexus had a SGM SC on the showroom floor for months, maybe it's still there...
Old 01-28-09, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by suislide
Lexus had it right w/ the 1SC formula [long hood+ smooth lines+ good looks= win. Just needed a vert. look how the 6 series compares in proportions. The 430 looks like a bath tub w/ wheels in shape

Sorry but the 6 series convert is disgusting and only matched by recent Acuras for being the ugliest things sold today. The top is a complete fail, its big and soft and ungainly. At least the SC has a top notch interior, the 6 series interior is no better than a Malibu. The 6 has ridiculously long overhangs and retarded headlights and is so overpriced its not funny. It has a nice engine and of course handles better.

Old 01-28-09, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

also the 6 series has that ridiculous piece of glass in the back when the top is down, way too funny

but i do praise their performance
Old 01-28-09, 06:15 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Default People hate what they don't understand.

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Seriously, most of the people who give the SC430 their harshest criticism don't even own one. Let alone being able to appreciate this car for what/whom its design is intended to please.

1. No one I have met or know in real life has commented the SC430 as an ugly car. As a matter of fact, most of them wanted to check it out, drive it around and were surprised that this car can be had for less than $25k nowadays.

2. It's been consistent that people I know in real life see my SC400 as an old, beater car and the SC430 as a shiny new (even though it's 5 years old) Lexus. Many of these people actually thought that my SC400 is an old Acura.

3. I've taken 500+ mile long business trips plenty of times in both of my SCs. In terms of comfort the SC430 trumps the SC400, period. The ride comfort of the SC430 is very close to my CL500.

4. Stack up a Mercedes CLS500, S500 or CL500 and run it against the SC430 and see what happens. If being faster than any of these Mercedes is still considered slow to some of you, then I rest my case.

For all I know, many of you can bash on the SC430 all you want. The truth is there are just as many out there who really appreciate this car for what it is.
Jon
You hit it dead on! The SC430 is a great car for what it is. This is an interesting thread which displays contrasting views on a polarizing car. Isn't that what a car should be anyhow. There are some who will love it and those who don't. I just enjoy talking with friends of mine who previously owned the first gen SC and have since jumped into the SC430 now that it's more affordable. They were the same ones telling me how much of a classic the old SC is and how it's looks are superior. I see that's all changed now that it's in their budget. I've driven both generations of the SC along with various other coupes. Online, people like to trash the SC430 or get nostalgic about the old SC300/400. But in real life situations I don't ever recall people dropping their jaw or constantly being praised at stoplights as much as I have in the SC430.

Obviously there are SL owners who can afford who can afford any car they may choose but made their pick because of their affinity for that car's design. And I think that's the point many of us in this thread are trying to make here. There's nothing wrong with being sentimental for whatever reasons, but to say that the 1 gen SC is better looking or superior to the current one is a joke. It's akin to saying that the previous SL from the 90's is a better car than the the current SL. The same applies for GS owners right here on this forum. For the most part every newer generation car is superior to the outgoing model. It's called evolution. And for that I welcome the next SC to roll out (whenever that happens) My one wish for the SC is that were more aftermarket mods available. And oh yeah I had to dump those pie plates as soon as I had the opportunity.

Last edited by LexLaw; 01-29-09 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby///M3
1. No one I have met or know in real life has commented the SC430 as an ugly car. As a matter of fact, most of them wanted to check it out, drive it around and were surprised that this car can be had for less than $25k nowadays.
I wouldn't call it horribly ugly like a Pontiac Aztek, but, style-wise, IMO, it is definitely not my cup of tea, though I agree that the interior is first-rate, and it is reliable and well-built. My only concern about it, reliability-wise, is how those so-called "pie-plate" wheels might affect brake cooling and brake life.
Old 01-28-09, 11:09 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't call it horribly ugly like a Pontiac Aztek, but, style-wise, IMO, it is definitely not my cup of tea, though I agree that the interior is first-rate, and it is reliable and well-built. .

I don't mind the exterior at all. Its not something to be amazed by but it not ugly at all. Yes the interior is first rate but does need some refresh. Especially the HVAC control. This is the type of vehicle that could serve you very well for at 10 years.

My only concern about it, reliability-wise, is how those so-called "pie-plate" wheels might affect brake cooling and brake life
I doubt there is any truth in this. I am sure Lexus tested these wheels.
Old 01-28-09, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I wouldn't call it horribly ugly like a Pontiac Aztek, but, style-wise, IMO, it is definitely not my cup of tea, though I agree that the interior is first-rate, and it is reliable and well-built. My only concern about it, reliability-wise, is how those so-called "pie-plate" wheels might affect brake cooling and brake life.
the car has been out since 2001, if there are any issues with that, i'd be known since long time ago... the wheels have no effect on brakes cooling...
Old 01-29-09, 12:28 AM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never considered it due to lack of manual transmission (though that may change whenever I have the time and resources for a project). Also quite underpowered and boat-like. Needs more options apart from just luxury items.

Otherwise I've always liked it a lot. The interior is stunning and I hardly think the car is ugly.
Old 02-02-09, 07:23 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Dude.. the pie plates.. are the reason why i bought this car.. and mine that i bought came with some gay star plates.. I thought the pie plates where unique.. and i loved it .. only if it where 20's i woulda bought the pie plates after