Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why so much hate for the SC 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 12:49 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll have to agree the SC 430 is a love it or hate it design. I personally love it.

The first generation SC is a timeless design. It was great that Lexus offered the V8 SC 400 and the straight six SC 300 but ultimately the SC 300 was cancelled.

For the second generation Lexus should have had two models as well, the V8 SC430 a convertible hard top coupe and a V6 SC 350 a fixed hard top coupe in my humble opinion.

Hopefully in the near future Lexus updates to the SC 460 with a 380hp V8 convertible hard top coupe and a V6 SC 350 fixed hard top coupe. That would be truly awesome...
Old 01-25-09, 01:12 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in our local dealership with a friend the other day and had a look at a new SC in the showroom. We were both blown away by how beautiful the car is on the inside. Imo, I agree that it needed to see more evolution through the years. It's underpowered and needs an exterior update, but I certainly don't hate it and think it should remain part of the Lexus line up.
Old 01-25-09, 05:33 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trexus

For the second generation Lexus should have had two models as well, the V8 SC430 a convertible hard top coupe and a V6 SC 350 a fixed hard top coupe in my humble opinion.

Hopefully in the near future Lexus updates to the SC 460 with a 380hp V8 convertible hard top coupe and a V6 SC 350 fixed hard top coupe. That would be truly awesome...
Why does the fixed hard top coupe have to be the smaller motor? I would make the fixed hard top coupe the top model 460 version and the convertible model the 350 version People who buy convertibles are usually more into cruising in comfort anyway.
Old 01-25-09, 07:34 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

My buddy has one its nice
sorry for the crappy BB pic
Attached Thumbnails Why so much hate for the SC 430?-img00043.jpg  
Old 01-25-09, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus

I agree, Trexus. That is something I have said in numerous posts, over the years, since I joined CL. The lack of a 6-cylinder SC for the second-generation model was a serious marketing error.
Old 01-25-09, 08:00 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, Trexus. That is something I have said in numerous posts, over the years, since I joined CL. The lack of a 6-cylinder SC for the second-generation model was a serious marketing error.
Strangely enough no brands really offer a 6 cylinder mid size coupe. I suppose you could consider the CLK a mid size coupe but it technically is a C class coupe with E class styling. The A5 is sort of a mid-size coupe too but it's somewhat in the same boat as the CLK, it's based upon the A4 (which got a bit bigger but not quite mid-size sports sedan class).
Maybe they'll come back around because of the economy.
Old 01-25-09, 11:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Strangely enough no brands really offer a 6 cylinder mid size coupe.
The first-generation SC300 sold very well. I see no reason why there should not have been a second-generation one.

There are, in fact, a number of other six-cylinder coupes on the market, including the V6 Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Nissan Altima, Infiniti G35, Mitsubishi Eclipse, the in-line-six BMW 3-series coupes, and the Audi A5 and Mercedes CLK you pointed out.

Lexus made the error of assuming that a second-generation V6 SC330/350 wouldn't sell. I believe they were wrong, partly because the SC430 costs so much.
Old 01-26-09, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The first-generation SC300 sold very well. I see no reason why there should not have been a second-generation one.

There are, in fact, a number of other six-cylinder coupes on the market, including the V6 Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Nissan Altima, Infiniti G35, Mitsubishi Eclipse, the in-line-six BMW 3-series coupes, and the Audi A5 and Mercedes CLK you pointed out.

Lexus made the error of assuming that a second-generation V6 SC330/350 wouldn't sell. I believe they were wrong, partly because the SC430 costs so much.
you can't honestly think those cars compete with the sc430 in the same league right? we are talking about cars in this league level. sl550, 6 series, cl550, all big engines

and i think that's a wrong assumption. lexus actually thought about doing the v6 2sc as far as i know. but they wanted to keep the car more exclusive that's why they stayed with only v8. lexus is not stupid, there is no way they would ever think a v6 version won't sell.... everyone knows given the same chassis, smaller engine will always sell more
Old 01-26-09, 12:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
you can't honestly think those cars compete with the sc430 in the same league right? we are talking about cars in this league level. sl550, 6 series, cl550, all big engines
I was simply responding to a post that said that there were virtually no mid-size six-cylinder coupes. And the V6 SC we are discussing, unlike the SC430, would not be competing directly against the vehicles you state.

and i think that's a wrong assumption. lexus actually thought about doing the v6 2sc as far as i know. but they wanted to keep the car more exclusive that's why they stayed with only v8. lexus is not stupid, there is no way they would ever think a v6 version won't sell.... everyone knows given the same chassis, smaller engine will always sell more
Look how well the first-generation SC300 sold. There is little or no reason to think that a successor version would not also sell, especially considering how expensive the SC430 is. The only thing that would (or could?) keep the sales back is one of the same thing that work against more SC430 sales....the fact that a lot of people (me included) don't think that the second-generation car looks as good as the first, though it does have a superb interior.

So, Henry, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the Lexus motive of keeping the car "exclusive" (that's more or less obvious), but simply the fact that keeping the car that "exclusive" to start with was probably an error. It has cost them sales (the average new car buyer doesn't have 60-70K for a new SC430).....and sales are what Lexus, and many other companies need right now.
Old 01-26-09, 12:35 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look how well the first-generation SC300 sold. There is little or no reason to think that a successor version would not also sell, especially considering how expensive the SC430 is.
The SC300 was sold back when Mercedes was selling the SL in 300, 500 and 600 forms. There was no SLK at the time which is equivient to the IS250C. There was also a 2 door Acura Legend if I remember correctly.

Cadillac XLR does not offer a V6 and it competes with the SC.

A SL300 would never sell in North American today but likely still sells well in Europe if they still make it.

People will pay for $40k ISc but I can't see people paying for a $50k SC350.

The SC430 was the perfect car for the early 2000's will...sad to see it go.

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-26-09 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 04:52 AM
LexFather

There were strong rumors on here in 2003 or so that a V-6 model was coming but it never happened. At the time the only 6 was either the one in the ES/RX or the 2JZ. Both engines are no longer used.

Old 01-26-09, 06:45 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Saying the pie plate wheels is what makes the SC430 a failure is like saying this wheel makes the W215 Mercedes CL600 the most ugly car in the world. It's not as if other Lexus wheels don't work on the SC430.

Seriously, most of the people who give the SC430 their harshest criticism don't even own one. Let alone being able to appreciate this car for what/whom its design is intended to please.

Since I have both the SC400 and SC430, I'll provide some of the feedbacks I've received about my cars.

1. No one I have met or know in real life has commented the SC430 as an ugly car. As a matter of fact, most of them wanted to check it out, drive it around and were surprised that this car can be had for less than $25k nowadays.

2. It's been consistent that people I know in real life see my SC400 as an old, beater car and the SC430 as a shiny new (even though it's 5 years old) Lexus. Many of these people actually thought that my SC400 is an old Acura.

3. I've taken 500+ mile long business trips plenty of times in both of my SCs. In terms of comfort the SC430 trumps the SC400, period. The ride comfort of the SC430 is very close to my CL500.

4. Stack up a Mercedes CLS500, S500 or CL500 and run it against the SC430 and see what happens. If being faster than any of these Mercedes is still considered slow to some of you, then I rest my case.

I also own a Mercedes myself and frankly, I don't care how good it looks because I am tired of having to look at it from the dealership service bay glass than having it being looked at by others on the road.

For all I know, many of you can bash on the SC430 all you want. The truth is there are just as many out there who really appreciate this car for what it is.

Jon
You do realize the cars you’re comparing the SC430 to are no longer available.
Dude a SC430 isn't faster than a CLS500. I have never seen info that a SC430 is faster than 14.0 in the 1/4. Hell, I think my Acura CL type S will run with a SC430 in the 1/4. A SC430 is nice but I don't think it's in the same league as an S or CL class. Especially in the AMG version. Those cars cost almost 30 thousand more than an Lexus SC430. In addition, offer a butt load of electronics. The one major reason to purchase a SC430 is reliable. The other nice features can be found in another vehicle. The SC430 was doom from the very begin. It's too many other cars too purchase for the asking price. Long live the original SC300 & SC400. I don't think the car is ugly but it's not attractive.

I do agree with your #3

Last edited by rogers2; 01-26-09 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 07:55 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

As an avid SC430 owner, I'd like to chime in...

1) I personally think Lexus' biggest screw-up with the car wasn't the original 02-05 wheels, it was the fact that they named it "SC" and marketed it as the next generation to the SC300/400.

a) It's not, in any way, a "newer" SC300/400

b) It's NOT (as has been previously stated and needs to be stated again) a "Sports Car"! Call it the LT430 (Luxury Tourer), CR430 (Cruiser)...whatever. This car was billed as a "Sports Car", people drove it, realized it WASN'T a sports car, and have been bashing it ever since.

2) It's underpowered and overweight? For a sports car, yes. For a luxury cruiser, no way.

3) Exhaust note: It doesn't have one. I've actually seen people on here complain about the fact that "it doesn't sound like a V-8". Seriously? The engine is so "composed"...can't think of a better word. Even at high RPM's, it's glass-smooth and very quiet. I occasionally use the tranny to force the car into a lower gear for a bit quicker throttle response. I did this once zipping through traffic and then headed onto the Interstate. Was cruising along and looked down at the Tach...and saw I was like 1000 RPM off the red-line! Oops. Forgot to upshift. But, the engine/exhaust wasn't screaming at me like an S2000.

4) I've been to something like 25-30 local Lexus meets. I've NEVER had anyone ask my why I bought such an ugly car. Now, I would like to think that all the folks I hang out with are nice guys/gals and wouldn't purposely insult me or my car...that's just rude but, some of them can be brutally honest when needed. My car looks pretty-much stock (original 02-05 wheels with the star center-caps) and I get nothing but compliments on it (when it's clean). And I always get at least one "Oooh!" when I remotely drop the top via the Lux-Link.

5) The interior: I've never had anyone get into my car for the first time WITHOUT uttering "Wow" or "Damn" when they see the interior. And, when I start the car and the integrated wood door opens up silently and the navigation screen emerges, they usually say it again.

6) Interior space. It's a 2-seat car. Stop making fun of the back seat. It's a 2-seat car. You can't put people back there so I don't know why Lexus bothered to put seatbelts back there. It's a 2-seat car. Behind the front seats is a very nice leather-clad parcel shelf. Oh, did I mention it's a 2-seat car? If you can get that one simple thing into your head, it's very roomy inside. For those of you who have met my wife and I, you know that we're not "petite". She's just a hair under 6 ft tall, I'm just a hair over 6 ft. And no one points to either of us and calls us "thin" (not being insulting or self-deprecating, just stating facts here people). We both fit in the car just fine. Plenty of head-room, plenty of shoulder room, plenty of leg-room. What else do you want, a hand-ball court?

7) The trunk is teeny-tiny. We ditched the run-flats and picked up a factory spare-tire kit so, our trunk is actually SMALLER than the average SC430 trunk. That being said, we took the car to Florida last summer...and we fit her full-sized suitcase, my medium-sized suitcase, my oversized camera bag, and 4 or 5 smaller bags of crap (shoes and what-not)...all in the trunk. While the car doesn't have the trunk-space of a Camry, It's not a Camry! If you NEED the trunk-space of a Camry, buy a Camry...the Toyota dealer has tons of them right now!! That being said, you can cram a whole lot of crap in the trunk of this car. Now, you can't do this AND put the top down but, when we arrived in Florida (via the AutoTrain), the weather was VERY nice out; I wanted to put the top down. I took the two suitcases & the camera bag and fit them on the leather-clad parcel shelf behind the seats (they fit, sitting upright, even when the seats are all the way back), stuffed the rest of the junk in the cubby holes left in the trunk...and dropped the top. Anyone who says that you can't haul anything in an SC430 has obviously never tried.

8) Ride comfort - Not much to say here...We've driven 8-10 hours at a stretch in the car...piece of cake.

9) Technology - I do think this is where Lexus has fallen behind, big time. Even with the 'refreshes' it's given the car, they're way behind the power-curve on this one. Satellite radio, in the 2009 model, still isn't a factory option. However, there are aftermarket options. Instead of spending $2,000 on wheels last year, I spent $2,000 on a CarPC. I have Satellite radio, HDRadio, every mp3 I own, music videos, movies, DVD playback, Internet access, Bluetooth handsfree phone, and voice-activation for all of it. So, go sit on your iDrive and spin, OK?

The 'refreshes' in technology should have included -

- Factory Satellite Radio
- iPod/mp3 player integration
- Heated/Cooled seats (currently only heated)
- Push-button start
- Factory Lux-Link-type capability (drop/raise the top remotely from the factory FOB)
- Gen 6 Navigation system

I bought my (used 2003) SC430 over 2 years ago. This car is my only car and it's our primary "family" car (there are only 2 of us though). And we've had not one regret. The compromises are very little. Really, the only thing we have to worry about is that it's a two-seat car. Even this isn't always a bad thing ("Gee honey, I'd LOVE to drive you and your mother 3 hours to the airport but, our car only holds 2 people...darn!")

As for the looks/curves/lines of the car, that's all opinion. There are quite a few people that like the new Alfa's....I don't get that but, OK.

If the only thing you can find wrong with the design of this car, after 8 years of production, is that you didn't like the wheels that came with the car originally, wow...I don't know what to say about that.

These days, you can pick up a used SC430 for <$25K that looks almost identical to a 2009 version. And, it's a car that's considered one of the most reliable cars Lexus has ever made.

Please, feel free to point at me and laugh as I drive past you in mine.
Old 01-26-09, 08:39 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
As an avid SC430 owner, I'd like to chime in...

1) I personally think Lexus' biggest screw-up with the car wasn't the original 02-05 wheels, it was the fact that they named it "SC" and marketed it as the next generation to the SC300/400.

a) It's not, in any way, a "newer" SC300/400

b) It's NOT (as has been previously stated and needs to be stated again) a "Sports Car"! Call it the LT430 (Luxury Tourer), CR430 (Cruiser)...whatever. This car was billed as a "Sports Car", people drove it, realized it WASN'T a sports car, and have been bashing it ever since.

2) It's underpowered and overweight? For a sports car, yes. For a luxury cruiser, no way.

3) Exhaust note: It doesn't have one. I've actually seen people on here complain about the fact that "it doesn't sound like a V-8". Seriously? The engine is so "composed"...can't think of a better word. Even at high RPM's, it's glass-smooth and very quiet. I occasionally use the tranny to force the car into a lower gear for a bit quicker throttle response. I did this once zipping through traffic and then headed onto the Interstate. Was cruising along and looked down at the Tach...and saw I was like 1000 RPM off the red-line! Oops. Forgot to upshift. But, the engine/exhaust wasn't screaming at me like an S2000.

4) I've been to something like 25-30 local Lexus meets. I've NEVER had anyone ask my why I bought such an ugly car. Now, I would like to think that all the folks I hang out with are nice guys/gals and wouldn't purposely insult me or my car...that's just rude but, some of them can be brutally honest when needed. My car looks pretty-much stock (original 02-05 wheels with the star center-caps) and I get nothing but compliments on it (when it's clean). And I always get at least one "Oooh!" when I remotely drop the top via the Lux-Link.

5) The interior: I've never had anyone get into my car for the first time WITHOUT uttering "Wow" or "Damn" when they see the interior. And, when I start the car and the integrated wood door opens up silently and the navigation screen emerges, they usually say it again.

6) Interior space. It's a 2-seat car. Stop making fun of the back seat. It's a 2-seat car. You can't put people back there so I don't know why Lexus bothered to put seatbelts back there. It's a 2-seat car. Behind the front seats is a very nice leather-clad parcel shelf. Oh, did I mention it's a 2-seat car? If you can get that one simple thing into your head, it's very roomy inside. For those of you who have met my wife and I, you know that we're not "petite". She's just a hair under 6 ft tall, I'm just a hair over 6 ft. And no one points to either of us and calls us "thin" (not being insulting or self-deprecating, just stating facts here people). We both fit in the car just fine. Plenty of head-room, plenty of shoulder room, plenty of leg-room. What else do you want, a hand-ball court?

7) The trunk is teeny-tiny. We ditched the run-flats and picked up a factory spare-tire kit so, our trunk is actually SMALLER than the average SC430 trunk. That being said, we took the car to Florida last summer...and we fit her full-sized suitcase, my medium-sized suitcase, my oversized camera bag, and 4 or 5 smaller bags of crap (shoes and what-not)...all in the trunk. While the car doesn't have the trunk-space of a Camry, It's not a Camry! If you NEED the trunk-space of a Camry, buy a Camry...the Toyota dealer has tons of them right now!! That being said, you can cram a whole lot of crap in the trunk of this car. Now, you can't do this AND put the top down but, when we arrived in Florida (via the AutoTrain), the weather was VERY nice out; I wanted to put the top down. I took the two suitcases & the camera bag and fit them on the leather-clad parcel shelf behind the seats (they fit, sitting upright, even when the seats are all the way back), stuffed the rest of the junk in the cubby holes left in the trunk...and dropped the top. Anyone who says that you can't haul anything in an SC430 has obviously never tried.

8) Ride comfort - Not much to say here...We've driven 8-10 hours at a stretch in the car...piece of cake.

9) Technology - I do think this is where Lexus has fallen behind, big time. Even with the 'refreshes' it's given the car, they're way behind the power-curve on this one. Satellite radio, in the 2009 model, still isn't a factory option. However, there are aftermarket options. Instead of spending $2,000 on wheels last year, I spent $2,000 on a CarPC. I have Satellite radio, HDRadio, every mp3 I own, music videos, movies, DVD playback, Internet access, Bluetooth handsfree phone, and voice-activation for all of it. So, go sit on your iDrive and spin, OK?

The 'refreshes' in technology should have included -

- Factory Satellite Radio
- iPod/mp3 player integration
- Heated/Cooled seats (currently only heated)
- Push-button start
- Factory Lux-Link-type capability (drop/raise the top remotely from the factory FOB)
- Gen 6 Navigation system

I bought my (used 2003) SC430 over 2 years ago. This car is my only car and it's our primary "family" car (there are only 2 of us though). And we've had not one regret. The compromises are very little. Really, the only thing we have to worry about is that it's a two-seat car. Even this isn't always a bad thing ("Gee honey, I'd LOVE to drive you and your mother 3 hours to the airport but, our car only holds 2 people...darn!")

As for the looks/curves/lines of the car, that's all opinion. There are quite a few people that like the new Alfa's....I don't get that but, OK.

If the only thing you can find wrong with the design of this car, after 8 years of production, is that you didn't like the wheels that came with the car originally, wow...I don't know what to say about that.

These days, you can pick up a used SC430 for <$25K that looks almost identical to a 2009 version. And, it's a car that's considered one of the most reliable cars Lexus has ever made.

Please, feel free to point at me and laugh as I drive past you in mine.
Great post defending or supporting the SC430. Henry made some good points as well. Even 1sick did well describing both sides of the view. For me, there are things I like and dislike. To say you hate it seems too strong. The car is really stylish and even if you don't think it's attractive, it started a trend for Lexus. All the models have that curvacious stylishness that has become the Lexus design theme. With another 2 inches of length, the LS430 would have taken on a different character. It would have been more sleek, befitting a sport coupe.
Since the car already beefs up the insurance payments, why not just eliminate the rear seats and make the front legroom more ample for us bigger folks. That's my biggest complaint, I couldn't stretch my legs out. No way I'd buy a car like this without being able to stretch the legs.
I never cared about the ugly wheels (even the new wheels are ugly to me), any car I buy will have the wheels changed so that's not a consideration for me. I still think about getting one because with wheels and a drop, it looks way better. I just have to make sure the seat rails can be lengthened and the rear seats taken out for the car to acomodate me. On the other hand, why go through that when there are other cars out there to fill the sport coupe need. That's where Lexus missed the boat. I believe this car would have sold tons more if the interior legroom was better. The car is comfortable for ladies and smaller guys. Americans are big. It's been proven that even smaller sized Americans like lots of space in their cars. Lexus just seemed to ignore this with the SC430.
Old 01-26-09, 09:19 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course I know they're no longer available. I have a Mercedes CL.

And dude, the SC430 is faster than a CLS500. Ask the guy in a white CLS500 who drove like a maniac on the 15th FWY a couple months ago. He went loonie on me when he lost to the SC430 for a car length on highway speeds. I am not even sure why you made that quarter mile comparison. No S500/CL500/CLS500 could do a quarter mile in less than 14 seconds anyway.

I wasn't making a direct comparison between the SC430 and the Mercedes CL. I was only making a point that saying a SC430 is ugly simply because of its stock wheels is no different than saying the same for a Mercedes CL600 because of its ugly 17' stock wheels.

Jon

Originally Posted by rogers2
You do realize the cars you’re comparing the SC430 to are no longer available.
Dude a SC430 isn't faster than a CLS500. I have never seen info that a SC430 is faster than 14.0 in the 1/4. Hell, I think my Acura CL type S will run with a SC430 in the 1/4. A SC430 is nice but I don't think it's in the same league as an S or CL class. Especially in the AMG version. Those cars cost almost 30 thousand more than an Lexus SC430. In addition, offer a butt load of electronics. The one major reason to purchase a SC430 is reliable. The other nice features can be found in another vehicle. The SC430 was doom from the very begin. It's too many other cars too purchase for the asking price. Long live the original SC300 & SC400. I don't think the car is ugly but it's not attractive.

I do agree with your #3

Quick Reply: Why so much hate for the SC 430?