Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Hayabusa or Ninja?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 07:35 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Review life insurance first.
+1000

A lot of people say "I can handle it" and end up in the hospital. Busa for a first bike? Good luck
Old 01-14-09, 07:39 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Based on your posts, it doesn't seem like you have ANY riding experience whatsoever. There is no way you can control a 500-600 lb bike with the power of a Honda Accord. Showing off with these machines might prevent you seeing your 20th B-day.

Go on gixxer.com - a Suzuki motorcycle owner forum. Ask around, they might enlighten and most likely laugh/flame at you.... but hopefully they can change your mind.

Good luck with your decisions
Old 01-14-09, 07:54 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
Haha i know the ninja has sub categories i was referring to the zx14 because thats the one thats the closest compared to the busa.

Im just trying to get opinion out here. and i know most say dont get it because of inexperience. but knowing myself, i feel ill be ok. i know alot of people with bikes that help me out with that.

Thanks phil specifically for the input. still going to be a few months before anything is bought, but just trying to do some research.
So is this your first bike really???

If you have friends that ride and they haven't told you you're nuts, well - I'm not sure if I could trust their judgement. Don't mean to come off as an ***, but even a 600cc supersport is too much bike for a newbie these days. Buying a NEW big-bore as a first bike is pretty foolish.

You've taken the MSF course right????

I'm not into the supersports myself but I've been on a few of them but it's not my thing - riding cross country on those is torture.

If you've made up your mind about getting one of these two bikes - then get the Busa. It can be switched between A, B, and C modes - it basically limits the horsepower down to "only" a little over 100hp I think. Once you get comfortable with that, you can move it up to the higher limits.

I'm sorry if I come across as high and mighty - but after logging over 65k miles of riding w/o any accidents (42k of it on my 1200cc Bandit), I'm trying to pass along a little knowledge from my experiences and make sure you don't do something you regret.

I'll never forget the day when I took delivery of my bike. There was a brand new Honda VFR at the dealership that had lowsided - busted up fairings, exhaust, mirror, and the owner had a brace on his nose, a limp, and an arm in a sling. The bike - had 75 miles on it.
Old 01-14-09, 09:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Review life insurance first.
Its not worth it IMO. To dangerous. If I was gonna risk it I would go for the BUSA Why not save the cash and get into shifter cart racing. safer and more fun I think

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-14-09 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 09:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is a first bike, I can near GUARANTEE severe injuries. SEVERE INJURIES.

NOT death.

Life-long physically debilitating injuries.
Old 01-14-09, 10:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its like giving a teenage green driver a ferrari enzo to learn how to drive. You have to crawl before you walk
Old 01-15-09, 06:42 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Not really. Busa has longer wheels base, unless you clutch it, it won't come up just like that.
1k bikes are more aggressive than Busa.
I know it has a longer wheelbase, but I was under the impression that this had little effect compared to the torque.

Anyway, I'm getting a liter-bike sometime--the Can-Am Spyder. Not as "hot" as a 2-wheeler, but I'm looking more for the cabin-less ride, so it's all good.
Old 01-15-09, 06:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96

I'm sorry if I come across as high and mighty - but after logging over 65k miles of riding w/o any accidents (42k of it on my 1200cc Bandit), I'm trying to pass along a little knowledge from my experiences and make sure you don't do something you regret.
Lucky...I had my SV street legal for all of 600 miles before I was rearended sitting at stop light and stop sign on two consecutive days...
Old 01-15-09, 07:41 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously YUSEF, you say you know self control. But your decision to go and get the fastest bike possible indicates otherwise.

Any modern sportbike can get you killed. The bigger the bike, the more potential for that happening. Add inexperience and it's a reciepe for disaster. You came here to get people's opinions and try to take it to heart.

I have 6 years of riding experience and took the "learn to crawl before you run" route and it is the safest way to learn.
Old 01-15-09, 07:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
Lucky...I had my SV street legal for all of 600 miles before I was rearended sitting at stop light and stop sign on two consecutive days...
I had a experienced rider/family member that was killed on his motorcyle recently, other driver was convicted of involuntary vehicular manslaughter. This accident was survivable in any modern small car.
Old 01-15-09, 09:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Several pro athletes in recent years have had career ending or threatening injuries on newly purchased high-powered sport bikes. Jay Williams (Chicago Bulls), Kellen Winslow Jr. (Cleveland Browns) and Ben R. (Pittsurgh Steelers).

Best to build up to the high powered stuff.
Old 01-15-09, 12:02 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

To the OP, what bike are you currently riding, how many miles have you logged on past or current bikes, I know a guy who has a busa who is about 30, he has had several bikes, you always buy the 1st one used, maybe even a 250cc dirtbike, the guy with the busa can ride, he has a 600cc yamaha with enough work in it to be a 1000cc, nothing like making payments on a bike with a bent frame and a 6 month rehab program in front of you
Old 01-15-09, 12:11 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Not really. Busa has longer wheels base, unless you clutch it, it won't come up just like that.
1k bikes are more aggressive than Busa.
i agree somewhat. my 12R would rather do a rolling burnout that pop the wheel up.

Originally Posted by bruce van
Obviously YUSEF, you say you know self control. But your decision to go and get the fastest bike possible indicates otherwise.

Any modern sportbike can get you killed. The bigger the bike, the more potential for that happening. Add inexperience and it's a reciepe for disaster. You came here to get people's opinions and try to take it to heart.

I have 6 years of riding experience and took the "learn to crawl before you run" route and it is the safest way to learn.
i started on a 500cc honda and rode that for a couple years. even so, when i bought my 12R, it was a completely different animal. i felt like a rookie becuase of the difference in responsiveness in every way. i coudln't imagine what it would feel like to a person who's never had a streetbike before.
Old 02-18-09, 08:14 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

so I wonder if the OP has bought the Busa or did he listened to the wise?
Old 02-18-09, 02:57 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Just control the clutch!!! Just simple practice around the neighborhood and get used to the clutch. Also, practice the bike weight, so you can pick it up if it ever drop.

My 1st bike is the RC51, obsolete compare to standard now. But you can do it!! BTW, ride with friends.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hayabusa or Ninja?