Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel coming to U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 09:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel coming to U.S.

2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel: Quick Reference: USA Data
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Key Summary Points

• The freshened Audi A3 launched in September 2008 (2009 MY).
• The 2009 model year freshening expanded the A3 lineup with quattro all-wheel drive on the efficient 2.0 TFSI engine (200 hp / 207 lb-ft torque).
• Audi A3 moves into a market space presently unoccupied in the luxury segment, that of a highly efficient diesel small luxury car.
• Audi's TDI clean diesel technology expands the A3 lineup in the direction of efficiency, providing over 40 mpg highway.
• A3 holds a unique position in the Audi family, targeting buyers who need a small but versatile package without sacrificing luxury and sportiness.
• A3 2.0 TDI is Audi's second U.S. TDI clean diesel announcement. Audi Q7 TDI is expected to be on sale at U.S. dealers around April 2009.
• A3 is already rated a "Top Safety Pick" by the IIHS for top frontal/side/rear crashes (source iihs.org).

Market
• Key competitors are BMW 1-series, Mini Cooper S, Volvo C30 and S40, and now Toyota Prius and Honda Insight.

Design
• Audi signature LED daytime running lights with optional xenon lights.
• Unique tail lights with LED light guides
• Enhanced exterior and interior design, new wheel program.
• Versatile interior design, providing unmatched utility for urban environments.

Dynamics
• Sporty McPherson front suspension and multilink independent rear suspension for high lateral rigidity.
• Speed-sensitive electromechanical power steering
• High rigidity due to the use of tailored blanks for adapting steel grade and thickness to the material stresses.

Powertrain
• 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine with S tronic (dual clutch) and front-wheel drive
o Specifications: 140 hp, 236 lb-ft torque, in-line 4 cylinder turbocharged clean diesel with common rail direct injection and piezoelectric injectors
o 50-state legal, with no after-treatment system required
o Exclusively with S tronic (dual clutch) transmission with front-wheel drive

Standard Equipment Features
• Hill-hold assist (already standard on S tronic models)
• Sirius satellite radio - standard on all
• Leather seating surfaces - standard on all
• Leather steering wheel - standard
• Aux audio input – standard
• Dual-zone climate control
• 17" alloy wheels

Launch Timing and Pricing
• USA Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel goes on sale by the first quarter of 2010 as a 2010 model year vehicle. Pricing is expected to be released close to the time of the U.S. launch.
Old 01-12-09, 07:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell a 170 hp version in Europe and a few other countries but I guess that version can't meet strict US emission regulations atm.

That and you can combine quattro all-wheel drive and dual-clutch S-tronic transmission along with the 2.0 diesel engine (just that not they're not offering it yet in America hence why it only comes in FWD atm).
Old 01-12-09, 08:11 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Is it just me or do ALL Audi's look 100% the same. The lights, grill, etc.
Old 01-12-09, 01:12 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100%? A bit overboard, wouldn't you say?

Looks a lot better than the...oh yeah... HS250h
Old 01-12-09, 02:58 PM
LexFather

All Audis do look the same and I love Audis. The R8 is the only one that is different. I'm a car nut and I mix them up. Every generation basically just gets bigger, longer, a bigger grill and a crease. ARe they still good looking? Yup. Bland? Maybe. (I love the S5 though).

I really wish Audi would market this car more or buyers would catch on. The A3 is a superb sub entry level vehicle. I wish Audi held the price though as it can get to be 35k easy with the larget engine.

Me= big A3 fan!

Old 01-12-09, 03:14 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
They sell a 170 hp version in Europe and a few other countries but I guess that version can't meet strict US emission regulations atm.
Probably more because Americans have not grasped the concept of a "performance diesel" yet. BMW is hoping to change that with their 335d I believe. I am almost positive that car is coming to the US.
Old 01-12-09, 10:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Probably more because Americans have not grasped the concept of a "performance diesel" yet. BMW is hoping to change that with their 335d I believe. I am almost positive that car is coming to the US.
Why do we need a performance diesel? Our petrol and hybrids are just fine. Diesel is at least $1 more a gallon if not more.

Over the pond, you guys have to deal with much higher petrol prices and much stiffer taxes in regards to automobile ownership. Thus diesels are more attractive there.

Wish we got the S3!

Old 01-13-09, 03:52 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sicklex
why do we need a performance diesel? Our petrol and hybrids are just fine. Diesel is at least $1 more a gallon if not more.

Over the pond, you guys have to deal with much higher petrol prices and much stiffer taxes in regards to automobile ownership. Thus diesels are more attractive there.

Wish we got the s3!

+1000000000000000
Old 01-13-09, 07:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nabbun
+1000000000000000
Agreed.

Makes me imagine of an RS3 (if ever they make one). My god, I think that will use the version of the engine used in the Audi TT-S sports car. Damn 200 Kilowatts (or 272 horses of power).

Probably the car would start flying (even with quattro and the dual clutch gearbox installed)
Old 01-13-09, 12:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Clean 50 state diesel without after-treatment, that's progress.
Old 01-13-09, 01:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Clean 50 state diesel without after-treatment, that's progress.
not really, only suv's gave required urea to meet specs so far... problem is that those engines with cats needed to reach the standards are nowhere as fast as they could be.
Old 01-13-09, 01:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
not really, only suv's gave required urea to meet specs so far... problem is that those engines with cats needed to reach the standards are nowhere as fast as they could be.
Please explain what above means, it's not clear.

Why does the Audi not require urea treatment and can be sold in California? It still runs as clean as the Mercedes ML320 diesel with urea treatment sold in California.
Old 01-13-09, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Please explain what above means, it's not clear.

Why does the Audi not require urea treatment and can be sold in California? It still runs as clean as the Mercedes ML320 diesel with urea treatment sold in California.
are ML and A3 same class of vehicle? Nope.
Is RX as clean as Prius? Nope.

335d does not require urea either.
Old 01-13-09, 02:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
are ML and A3 same class of vehicle? Nope.
Is RX as clean as Prius? Nope.

335d does not require urea either.
Nope - You didn't answer original question that I posted above.

Nope - SUVs are not forced to be cleaner in California than the mentioned Audi/Beemers.

Therefore the A3 and 335d's being sold in California are meeting strict California standards without urea. That's a plus.
Old 01-13-09, 03:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Nope - You didn't answer original question that I posted above.

Nope - SUVs are not forced to be cleaner in California than the mentioned Audi/Beemers.

Therefore the A3 and 335d's being sold in California are meeting strict California standards without urea. That's a plus.
they are doing it with vehicles that are significatly smaller than ML... Q7 with diesel engine will have urea as well.

So the hint is that suvs that weight a lot, pollute a lot more than small hatchbacks :-).

Quick Reply: 2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel coming to U.S.