Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Audi A7 sportback thread: UPDATED, Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 07:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Autounion - question for you - since you seem knowledgeable. I'm returning to the European car fold since Lexus hasn't been able to come up with any new sedans in the past 6 years. I might be interested in buying a new A6 or A7, but it seems they don't have any high power variants. I'm thinking twin turbo V8. I have a deposit down on a 2012 550i M-Sport but my production date isn't till October. Do you know if Audi will have the Turbo V8 variants out by then?
Old 06-10-11, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's also hard for me to imagine getting a 550i build date that's 4 months from now?!
Old 06-10-11, 11:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
This is correct, Lexus does sell much much more in the US, but when we consider the worldwide market, Lexus is nothing to Audi. They sell tons of cars overseas. It is only in America where some people think Audi is a "lesser" brand to Lexus/BMW/MB.

I will say this was an amazing feat that Toyota was able to do, in such a sort time.
This.

All 3 of the Germans outsell Lexus up here.

On topic, the A7 is extremely underwhelming in person.
Old 06-11-11, 06:49 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Why is your build slot so far away? Are you doing Euro Delivery?

Is your M-Sport going to Carbon Black? I love that color

The S7 is supposed to be out soon and that will have Audi's new 4.0T that is supposed to replace the 4.2 V8 in Audi's lineup.
October 15 is the first available pick-up date for 2012 production Euro Delivery 550i. They don't begin production of the 550i till September, but for ED it is a bit later. The 7% saving is something I can't pass up and in my job I can fly to Europe whenever I want (My European colleague invite me over every month).

I'm not sure about color. I love the look of Carbon Black in the sunlight, but I don't like it in the shade. I was thinking Dark Graphite I but it seems that isn't available. I may get either Jet Black, Space Gray, Imperial Blue or Deep Sea Blue. With Oyster/Black, Anthracite.

I'm planning on M-Sport, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, PP2, HUD, IAS, Apps. Side and top view cams, Paddles.

Originally Posted by rominl
it's also hard for me to imagine getting a 550i build date that's 4 months from now?!
It sucks, but its the only way to get a 2012 with 13% off MSRP. Given how these German cars depreciate you want that discount.

One of my associates was trying to buy a used CPO 2008 GS350 with Nav and no Texas dealer would sell below $38. She ended up buying a new one for $44. Makes more sense then spending that much on a 3 year old car. The value retention on these Lexus cars is incredible.
Old 06-11-11, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i suggest ED too, great experience, i really want to try. i wonder how mb's ED is. does audi have it now?
Old 06-11-11, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

This is correct, Lexus does sell much much more in the US, but when we consider the worldwide market, Lexus is nothing to Audi. They sell tons of cars overseas. It is only in America where some people think Audi is a "lesser" brand to Lexus/BMW/MB.

I will say this was an amazing feat that Toyota was able to do, in such a sort time.
hm, i in europe also think that audi is lesser brand to bmw/mb... but also a lot cheaper, hence people buying it a lot.
Old 06-11-11, 10:00 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i suggest ED too, great experience, i really want to try. i wonder how mb's ED is. does audi have it now?
I looked into MB ED since I was considering the CLS. With MB you only get 7% off and there is no negotiation - price is fixed by MB USA.

With BMW the ED is 7% of MSRP but ED Invoice is another 9% off the ED MSRP so 16% off total. The options don't recieve the ED discount. So if you negotiate say $500-800 above invoice on an ED, after options your blended discount may be 12-14%.

I don't think Audi or Jag offer this. One nice thing about MB is you can delegate the pickup by authorization. So you can have a German friend pick it up for you.
Old 06-11-11, 02:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

BTW I thought you guys might be interested in this review of the CLS550.

It amazes me that this non-AMG Benz delivered 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. The cornering speeds are amazing too.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
Old 06-11-11, 05:50 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought that people here also have the same double standard, except in favor of Lexus and against the Germans?

Lexus cars might be considered beautiful to you, and MB/Audi/BMWs are boring to you, but to another person, it's exactly the opposite. There's nothing here to complain about. The marketplace is large enough to accommodate all these diff't viewpoints.

Audis might very well be called boring, but there is some unmistakable brand identity in the signature large grill on the front and their design. You know its an Audi when you see the large grill and those LEDs. Lexus seems to lack that. To an average person, they might mistake the LS for a large Avalon/Camry or an HS for a Corolla, but that's because Lexus really doesn't have any sort of design identity that they stick with like MB/BMW/Audi do. BMW has the signature kidney grills and corona lights. Audi has the large front grill and LEDs. What's Lexus's design identity?

Remember, Lexus copied Audi on the facelift IS and put on some ricer-style LEDs that look horribly out of place on a Lexus.
What you said are hard to argue with. True, German brands have much clearer and stronger identity by incorporating the family face in all of their lineups. This is what Japanese companies lack. For general public, most Japanese cars are similar in styling and design. However, in my opinion Audi is the one who has gone too far. Audi vehicles look 80-90% the same throughout the whole lineup, both front and rear designs. I bet a car enthusiast who is very knowledgeable about modern cars can't distinguish between a A4 and A5 and A6(the new one is a bit easier to differentiate due to its new headlights though) from your rear view mirror. Yes Audi vehicles look handsome, but all of them look the same. Just like Porsche, its basic design hasn't change in decades. Whether this is good or bad depends on the person, to me this is not good. Audi designers are simply too lazy or out of idea. BMW designs are very polarizing, some very good looking when the other are ludicrously ugly, as if they are designed by totally different companies. But this is off topic and look are very subjective so I am not here to analyze. Benz vehicles are the ones I admire the most, at least look-wise, since they are easy to tell they are Benz and yet all models look different enough. Lexus vehicles are definitely very stylish, IS, CT, LS, GS, RX are all great looking. But yeah they are just like any other Japanese cars, no one can really tell what brand they are if the emblems are taken off, except to us who look at cars all the time.
Old 06-11-11, 06:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
BTW I thought you guys might be interested in this review of the CLS550.

It amazes me that this non-AMG Benz delivered 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. The cornering speeds are amazing too.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
it's not about the A7 of course, but that CLS550 is amazing. even for $80k it's worth it.
Old 06-11-11, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not about the A7 of course, but that CLS550 is amazing. even for $80k it's worth it.
i don't know what else to add but
Old 06-11-11, 11:05 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone shopping the A7 and can afford $10-15k more should also be looking seriously at the new CLS. Likewise if one is shopping the Panamera S but would be ok with saving $30+k then the CLS should be on the shopping list too.

Seems odd to think of an MB to be the value leader (and perhaps performance too) but in this context the new MB CLS seems like the best bang for the buck.