Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which exterior do you prefer?
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
35.62%
Infiniti G37 Coupe/Nissan Skyline
45.21%
They are Equal
16.44%
I hate both
2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Hyundai Genesis Coupe vs Infiniti G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 10:55 PM
LexFather

Thats the old one! This is the previous one and its a good looking coupe.

Old 01-19-09, 08:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
Just wait till you see one in real life. I'm 100% certain you will change your mind. The kink on the rear panel bothered me as well... that is until I saw one in real life going down I20 East bound towards Dallas. This car will make the G37 look cheap. And I'm not kidding. The Aqua Marine Blue color I saw was absolutely stunning. The lines on the side of the car makes it look SO much better than the G37. By comparison, the G37 look down right boring if you can believe that. Trust me on this one. The pictures dont do it justice.
I have seen the car in person and would still have to disagree with you. The lines up and down the side of the car make it look like they took vertical cross sections from another vehicle and welded it together with an updated tiburon concept. Its just too busy for my taste.

That said, I still greatly respect what Hyundai has done here, just like with the Genesis sedan.
Old 01-19-09, 09:22 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
yah, but its the old one the styling is based on with the funky double flame surfacing and drooping side windows. anyways, i would think the gen coupe competes more with the mustang.

Old 01-24-09, 11:07 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
In terms of the coupe it looks like the "inspiration" came solely from the G. To be honest I'm surprised they didn't stick in LED DRL's.
The only real similarity btwn the GenCoupe and the G35/37 is the roofline/general coupe shape.

The headlights, grill, side flares/character lines, greenhouse, rear and tailights are all different.

And one can say that the GenCoupe's roofline more resembles the 2nd gen Tib than the G35 (which came to market AFTER the Tib).

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
It seems like all Hyundai did was cut and paste together what they felt were they best aspects of vehicles it was meant to compete against and came up with the Genesis sedan (just look at that grill).
Hyundai did that on purpose b/c they figured that people would have a hard time accepting a "luxury" auto from Hyundai and a new design-scheme (much like what Lexus did w/ the LS).

As for the grill, I'd say that it is just as different from the MB grill (w/ the waterfall/klingon effect) as is that for the LS (gee, a grill w/ horizontal is really original - all it's missing is the vertical divider).

Besides - look at the grills for many Lexus, Acura and Infiniti models, particulary those from the past (pretty much the same vertical or horizontal-slatted grills that one would find in Jaguars and Mercedes, much less Buicks and Lincolns).

And look at the new RL, not that Acura designs were very original in the 1st place, aside from the funky "beak" grill, the Acura borrowed the C-pillar kink from Infiniti/Nissan (which in turn, borrowed it from BMW), the headlights are wholly unoriginal and the rear is total Saturn.

Anyhow, the GenCoupe style-wise is hit and miss.

The rear window dip was weird at 1st but it has grown on me. The side flares/character lines aren't the most elegant, but they are interesting and make the GenCoupe look more aggressive (and in the right color, make the GenCoupe really appealing in real life - as opposed to photos).

The biggest problem w/ the GenCoupe is size/shape of the grill (it's kinda in nowhere land - not big or small enough) - which is why the reddish-orange concept w/ the black carbon fiber hood looked really good (the grill disappeared w/ the black hood).

As for the G37, it's boring and a huge disappointment. The G35, otoh, had clean lines and yet, was a stunner.
Old 01-25-09, 12:43 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

genesis coupe for me

g37 is a huge disappointment in terms of a design. it looks worse in person. i loved g35 though.
Old 01-25-09, 01:00 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

nice ***. lol

and i definitely love the side. G37's side profile is just too boring for me.

overall i think g37 is more dressed up and genesis is more sporty and athletic.

and i'm partial to something more sporty.
Old 01-25-09, 01:01 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-25-09, 01:03 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

genesis is more 'wilder' and brings out the ricer in me. and i love it.

just wait a 9-10 months. we gonna see some crazy modded gen coupe here in the U.S

Last edited by joe80; 01-25-09 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-25-09, 01:15 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack

i agree.

they both look ugly.

the hyundai design just boggles my mind. the lines are just all over the place, coming and going nowhere.

and the G37's hips are odd looking.
that line is bold and charismatic. that's one of my favorite part of the design. someone did the photochop and got rid of those lines and it was horrible.