Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe

A Review of the 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

In a Nutshell: The quintessial American sports car, better-built and easier to drive than its predecessors.

[img]

(Sorry I don't have better images, guys. It's hard to find accurate Corvette Coupe shots on Google.....most of the images are for the new ZR-1. I posted the best ones I could find of the car I reviewed.)

I did a review of the Corvette C6 several years ago when the C6 generation first came out, and, in the meantime, without a total redesign, GM has made some changes to the power-steering system and what seems to be an upgrade to the quality of trim and hardware used in the interior. Some of you have asked about how the new steering system works, and if the new interior is nicer than before, and I did get at least one formal re-review request for the new changes. So, instead of just a quick update, I decided to start from scratch (my reviews weren't as comprehensive back then as they are today) and do a complete new review.

The Corvette was introduced in 1953 with a trademark fiberglass body and (can you believe?), an in-line, 150 HP six and a two-speed automatic transmission (no manuals was offered at first). Colors were restricted to white with red/white trim. Ford countered, in 1955, with the famous two-seat Thunderbird (which lasted only three years), and the race was on...the rest is history. The Corvette quickly grew into a powerful, credible sports car and introduced one of America's first automotive fuel-injection systems. It also pioneered America's first use of four-wheel disc brakes, back in the 1960's. It is now in its 6th generation (hence the term C6), with a new seventh-generation C7 in the works (if Chevy and GM survive with the bailout money, of course).

Today's 2009 C6 Corvette comes in many different model/trim options. Base Coupe and Convertible models both come in 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, and 4LT trim levels, offer a naturally-aspirated 6.2L LS3 V8 with 430 HP, and a choice of six-speed manual or 6-speed paddle-shift automatic. The Z06 model comes in 1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ versions, offers a normally-aspirated 7.0L LS7 V8 with 505 HP, and a six-speed manual. The storming ZR-1 model, which has received a lot of recent attention in the auto press, comes in 1ZR or 2ZR versions and offers a supercharged, LS9 version of the 6.2L V8 with 638 HP and a six-speed manual.

For the review, I chose a white Coupe model with a 6-speed manual transmission and a minimum of options. I chose the 6-speed stick because, even with the dense traffic in this area (fortunately not bad this morning), a manual transmission is far more in sync with the spirit of this car than an automatic.....and many Corvettes are, in fact, sold with manuals, and don't offer automatics at all. Chevy has also made the C6's clutch, at least in the base model, far more user-friendly than the knee-killing one in C5 and older versions.

Some of you may be disappointed that I did not review either a Z06 or a ZR-1. I did, in fact, get a few ZR-1 requests, but I reviewed a lower-line model for several reasons. First, reviewing a ZR-1, at this stage, is just too difficult and impractical, for a number of reasons, unless you are a member of the automotive press (which I am not). Second, the ZR-1, for the most part, is a semi-race car. Though it has the Magna-Ride shocks/suspension found in some other Corvettes, its enormous power level (similiar to Dodge Viper ACR track cars), as I see it, makes it impractical for the typical suburban and highway driving I do my reviews. Third, they tend to be special-order, display, or pre-sold cars that are not available for general public test-drives (the Chevy shop I was at, for instance, had one ZR-1, sitting in the showroom, did not offer me a test-drive, and I did not ask for one.....getting it out the doors would have been just too impractical). Fourth, both Z06 and ZR-1 models, as you would guess, carry BIG dealer mark-ups, especially the ZR-1. The salesman who got me the key for the 'Vette I reviewed today told me the dealership had just delivered a new ZR-1 for over 150K, was asking a similiar amount for the one in the showroom, and had heard of a few of them, at other shops, going for near 200K (yes, even in the auto-depressed national market, sales never stop in this area). Fifth, Jeremy Clarkson's recent review/write-up of the ZR-1 had just been posted and well-discussed on CL, as well as those of other reviewers and car magazines....he and others had covered the car pretty well.

So, I chose a Coupe model because I thought it would be a good idea to see what Corvette was offering at the other end of the price spectrum...its entry-level models. Most people don't have triple-digit money to spend on cars nowadays, and the 48K on the price sticker, while not cheap, looked a whole lot more affordable than what Z06 and ZR-1 models were selling at. The base models tend to be neglected by the automotive press and Internet traffic (witness the comparative lack of good images I mentioned). So, under the circumstances, I felt my time would be better-spent on a thorough, complete review of the base model and a complete test-drive, rather then (if possible) a quick trip around the block, in traffic, in a ZR-1 where some salesguy would be sitting next to me, biting his nails, and watching my every move (I, of course, am a responsible driver and don't need that)......and that assumes an available ZR-1 at all. I felt I did the right thing, and learned a great deal about the base car. And, unlike Z06/ZR-1 models, you can even get, yes, a discount, on base models. The car I drove today, listing at 48K, was marked down to 43K even before the real deal-talk started....serious bargaining would probably save even more.

And, though it is not a race car like the ZR-1, don't think that the base car is a slouch, either....such is not the case. It had PLENTY or power and PLENTY of performance....after all, it is a Corvette, America's quintessial sports car, and there is no such thing as a dull Corvette....it simply does not exist.

So, let's get on with it.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe.

Base Price: $47,045

Major Options:

Competition Gray Alloy Wheels: $395

Destination/Freight: $850

List Price as Reviewed: $48,290.

Drivetrain: RWD, Longitudinally-mounted, 6.2L LS3 V8, 436 HP @ 5900 RPM, Torque 424 ft-lbs. @ 4600 RPM, 6-speed manual transmission with (?) limited-slip differential.

EPA Mileage Rating: 16 City, 26 Highway

Exterior Color: Arctic White

Interior: Black Leather.

PLUSSES:

Far better dollar-for-dollar value than upmarket Z06/ZR-1 Corvettes.

Excellent GM 5/100 drivetrain warranty.

Wide dealer network guarantees parts/sevice availability almost anywhere.

Shove-in-the-back, muscle-car torque.

Relatively good underhood layout.

Excellent, civilized clutch far better than C5 and earlier versions.

Improved power-steering gear over earlier versions.

Well-designed, effective brakes.

Flat, sports-car handling.

Civilized ride quality, but noisy over bumps.

Traditional fiberglass body eliminates rust/corrosion and parking-lot dings.

Flawless paint job with the fiberglass.

Nice, bright paint colors offered (more cars and manufacturers need to start doing this).

Nice, locking, gas-filler door untypical of American-designed cars.

Primary and secondary fuel-filler door releases (one in the cargo area).

Well-done, easy-swivel outside mirrors also untypical of domestically-designed cars.

Removable roof panel does not rob headroom when in place.

Fairly nice interior leather.

Comfortable-to-hold steering wheel.

Shallow but roomy cargo area for a sports car.

Thick, soft, plush trunk carpeting.

Relatively easy entry/exit for a low-slung sports car.

Excellent, clear gauges.

Easy-to-use stereo/climate controls.

Traditionally good GM heater/air-conditioner.

Much better, soft-touch interior trim and panel materials than before.

Many factory/dealer accessories available.

MINUSES:

GM's future in doubt with Congressional bailout money.

High Corvette insurance premiums for many drivers.

No more GMAC leases on Corvettes, per the Chevy people.

A potential traffic-cop magnet.

Continuing below-average reliability despite better-quality materials now.

Steering response not as quick as expected.

Loud tire/suspension noises over sharp bumps.

Awkward-opening, front-hinged hood.

Difficult, expensive fiberglass body repairs.

Rather notchy, sometimes stiff, short-throw manual-shift linkage.

Expensive-to-replace run-flat tires.

Quirky (?) tire-pressure monitors.

Ridiculous extra-cost for several paint colors.

Manually-operated driver's seat-back does not angle high enough for my tastes.

Manual-tilt steering column does not telescope.

Peek-a-Boo rear window vision out the back.

Peek-a-Boo windshield front vision under low-hanging mirror.

Stereo sound quality OK, but not up to a 50K car.

Unusual, rocker/button engine START/STOP switch awkward at first.

Ugly (IMO), gray, competition-style wheels.

Low ground clearance means care over speed bumps/ramps and difficult washing underneath.

EXTERIOR:

The first impression of the C6 Corvette, as you walk up to it, is, of course, exactly what it is...a classic low-slung sports car. The styling, except for the four round taillights (a classic Chevy/Corvette styling tradition), is unlike that of any other Chevrolet/GM product, and, especially from the front/headlights, looks somewhat like the Dodge Viper. I personally think it is a good-looking sports car, and, with the C6 generation, Chevy has finally dispensed with the unreliable and frequently-jammed pop-up headlights. The ultra-low ground clearance, which makes the handling and cornering so stable, also makes it difficult to cross large speed bumps or ramps without hitting the lower-front end and messing things up. it also makes it difficult to wash the underside off with a hose......but the flip side of that, of course, is that almost nobody drives a Corvette on salted winter roads to start with. The wide, low-profile, summer-only tires, high power level, and front engine/RWD layout make driving on winter roads all but impossible, even with electronic traction aids.

The fiberglass body, a tradition since the car's inception in 1953, still carries on, and, over the years, GM has honed the painting process with the fiberglass to where it it now approaches perfection...the Corvette, IMO, has a better paint job than any other GM car, even Cadillacs. And (finally) we see a number of REAL paint colors in the palate, not just shades from the County morgue. Bright blue, red, yellow, sunset-orange, and the more common shades of white, black, and silver are all represented (I especially like the Sunset Orange). Unfortunately, Chevy has picked up on a European theme by charging extra for the bright Tintcoat colors. The fiberglass surface is as smooth as a polished table, and, of course, eliminates the common problems of body rust and parking-lot dings, one reason why used Corvettes depreciate so little (although the paint can still be chipped if hit hard enough). It will cost you, though, if you need fiberglass body repairs and insurance doesn't pay for it.....fiberglass repair isn't cheap, as those of you who own fiberglass boats can attest to.

The two doors are released by electronic touch-pads built into the rear door edges instead of conventional mechanical handles.....as is the cargo hatchback in the rear. The two outside mirrors, unlike many American-designed cars, have fairly durable plastic housings and swivel freely, without sticking, into and out of their folded positions. The body panels don't have a particularly solid feel to them, but that is to be expected with fiberglass, which is more flexible and lighter-weight then steel. A single, removable roof panel appears to be standard, even on the base Coupe model.......it was a cold day, and I didn't drive the car with it off to verify it, but it can be expected, like on a convertibles, to affect the body's torsional and longitudional rigidity a little with it off. A proper locking gas cap/filler door is a nice touch....something sorely missing in a lot of American-designed cars. I was not a fan of the gray, split-spoke "Competition" alloy wheels (a $395 option), however.....to me, they looked rather ugly. I also couldn't tell if the tire-pressure monitors were working correctly....they showed low-pressure in all four wheels, but one of my own gauges showed them more or less OK....another check-gauge showed them a little off.

Entry/exit was surprisingly good for a classic sports car, though of course, you have to bend or sit back down quite low to get in and push yourself way up getting out. But, compared to the way I usually have to twist and shoehorn myself, like a pretzel, into and out of most small sports cars like the Miata or S2000, getting in and out of the Corvette was a piece of cake, even for a guy my age with a little knee/foot
arthritis.

UNDERHOOD:

The front-hinged, fiberglass hood, a Corvette tradition, pulls up from the back, the opposite from most other cars.....I found that a little awkward, but no real problem. Two nice gas struts hold the hood up for you (not that it is heavy to start with, with the fiberglass). A thick, well-attached layer of insulation material lines the underside of the hood and helps with some of the engine noise (this engine DOES make noise, but that, of course, is expected in a Corvette). The underhood layout, despite an ubiquitous plastic engine cover (the ZR-1 has a hole in the hood that exposes the engine cover, but it is hidden in the base model), is pretty good.....I had few complaints with the enfine fit or the way things were laid out. The big, 6.2L LS3 V8, longitudinally-mounted, naturally takes up some space, but there is at least some room to reach components down the sides of the block. The far frontal parts, of course, are somewhat blocked by the front-hinged hood, but most of the needed dipsticks, filler caps, reservoirs, hardware, etc..... are displaced to the sides for relatively easy reach.The battery is in the rear, on the passenger side, uncovered, and easily reachable, GM having dropped the long-running and difficult-to-reach side battery terminals.

INTERIOR:

GM has made enormous improvements to the latest Corvette interiors, compared to the cheap rattle-trap interiors of past versions (the C3, C4, and to a lesser extent, the C5, drove you nuts with rattles). You won't confuse this interior with, say a Lexus LS460, Acura RL, or Jaguar XF, but the difference between it and past 'Vettes is amazing. The dash, A-pillars, door panels, and many of the other touch-surfaces are all now done in a nice, flexible, soft-touch, vinyl-like material that is comparably well-fitted and doesn't squeak or rattle. Though my test car was done in Black leather (I included the available upholstry color-combinations in the image section above), there was enough color-separation and two-tone effect to keep the interior from looking like a coal mine. The seat leather itself, an area that many manufacturers are cost-cutting, seems to be done pretty well; nice, smooth, and even.....you apparantly don't have to buy an upmarket 'Vette, like you do with some cars, to get nice leather. The seats themselves are comfortable, and, of course, as befitting a sports car, reasonably well-blostered, but I didn't like the manual-controlled seatback lever (the bottom cushions are power-controlled), because it didn't let the seatback get quite high and erect enough for my tastes. That was a minor complaint, however.....I was generally comfortable in the seat, and, yes, unlike some sports cars, it was wide enough for my big torso and legs. Another minor complaint was the manual tilt but non-telescoping steering column on a steering wheel that was otherwise well-stiched and comfortable to hold. IMO, a car of this price should have both tilt/telescoping features, at manual if not powered.....that would have helped a little with the seatback-angle issue with me. A more significant complaint (and my only serious one inside) was the way that the inside mirror hung down from the low windshield/roof to block part of the forward vision for people my height. Only the left side of the windshield was clear for me....the right side was partially blocked by the low-dangling mirror, a significant problem if an unseen car, person, or animal runs out in front of you. The rear window, as a result of the low roofline, also suffered from a slit-vision effect while looking back, but not as bad as forward through the windshield to the right. Headroom and legroom were fine, especially if you kept the seat cushions low....the roof panel doesn't cut into headroom, when it is in place, like most sunroofs do. The stereo's sound quality was OK but could have been better in a car of this class. The stereo controls, though, were a pleasure to use.....simple, round ***** and easy-reading displays. Ditto for the climate controls....simple, well designed/made, and easy to operate. They also control GM's traditional excellent heating and air-conditioning....the big glass panel in back, in summer, probably makes a good air-conditioner necessary. The gauges are clear, easy-to read, and much better than in past models. The hardware/buttons/***** all felt more solid and better-attached than in past models, too.

Congragulations, GM. A few small faults remain, but a far better job on the c6 Corvette interior.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The lift-up hatchbacklid, of course, like the rest of the body, is fiberglass, and, of course, fairly light. It has both a push-button unlock on the key fob and an electronic touch-pad-opener like the two doors. The lid lifts up to reaveal a shallow (due to the low roofline) cargo area but otherwise quite roomy for a sports car. Luggage and grocery bags will fit if they are not too high, but you will want to shove them forward somewhat....the cargo roof is very low in back.

The cargo area is very well-finished with a nice, THICK, dense, plush grade of gray carpeting that appears to be of higher-quality than I've seen in a number of luxury cars. A nice, clearly-marked, pull-switch on the left wall allows emergency opening of the gas filler-door if the regular switch electrics fail. Corvette coupes come with run-flat tires, so there is no spare or jack. Run-flat tires are usually good for limping along at low speeds, without any air pressure at all, to the nearest tire shop, where they are NOT cheap to replace if they are unrepairable.....Chevy, of course, like most automakers, offers Road Service/towing during the warranty period if needed, and all Corvettes come with the OnStar emergency-contact system.

ON THE ROAD:

With the key fob in the vicinity, push the top of the unusual, rocker-type START/STOP button to start the engine up; the bottom of it to shut it off. Nothing really wrong with that design, but it takes some getting used to. The big, 6.2L LS3 V8 starts up with the expected Corvette rumble and exhaust drone, though the aforementioned thick underhood insulation pad keeps it from being too intrusive. Torque is the name of the game with Corvette engines, even on base models, and this one certainly does not disappoint. The 430 HP and 424 ft-lbs of torque, through the efficient manual transmisson, sock you right between the shoulder blades as the tach starts to wind up to and past 3000, and off you go like a slingshot. Yes, the Z06 and ZR-1 are somewhat faster, but trust me....this powerplant gets the job done. Not many cars are going to pass you. And this engine won't cost you a six-figure sum to give you this performance, either, like the upmarket 'Vettes with dealer price-gouging. The engine's noise level, again expected in a Corvette, throbs and growls as you give it more gas, but, again, that is the character of this car.....it wouldn't be a 'Vette without it.

Hooked to the LS3 V8 is a far better clutch and manual transmission than in past models. The clutch in older 'Vettes, with its super-heavy disc, springs, and pressure-plate, felt and operated like something out of a dump truck. Not so with the new C6 models. The clutch has just the right amount of effort, IMO, for a car of this type, engages smoothly, and starts to take about halfway off the floor, so you don't let it out too early or too late. Only time will tell, of course, whether the new, lighter-effort clutch will be reliable.....Corvettes, in general, are not known for reliability, even C6 models, though the engines are reasonably reliable with good service and common-sense driving. The six-speed manual transmisson (a true 'Vette, of course, begs for a manual), was better-shifting than past ones, with nice short throws, but the shift effort was a little high, and the action a little notchy. It sometimes took a firm effort to get the lever far enough left and forward to start in first, rather than third. Some past Corvette, Firebirds, and Camaros, unless you really hammered the throttle, have had the annoying first-to-fourth feature that electrically forces the shift lever to skip second and third gears as a fuel-economy feature.....the engines have so much torque that the loss of the two gears means little or nothing in most driving situations. My test Corvette did not seem to have that feature.....it placed no restrictions on how I used the shift lever, and still gives some pretty good EPA mileage fugures to boot for a car of this type.

Handling was about what you expect from a low-slung sports car like this with wide, performance tires, with ultra-flat cornering and virtually no body roll. My test car lacked the Corvette Magna-Ride suspension found in some upmarket models, but the ride/handling combination, overall, as pretty well-done except for some loud thumping and crashing noises over sharp bumps.....I couldn't tell if that was coming from the run-flat performance tires (which naturally have very stiff sidewalls) or the suspension itself. Steering effort (some of you asked about the new steering gear) was right on the borderline between firm and light, did seem to have at least fairly good road feel (though not up to BMW standards) but overall steering response was not quite as fast or instantaneous as what I expected it to be. That could be the result of the numerical stteering ratio used in the rack, or it could just be a little understeer from the big, heavy engine up front.....my guess is the latter. The 'Vette, of course, steers quickly enough.............after all, it is a sports car..........just not quite as fast as I've seen on some smaller sports cars like, for example, the Miata. Ride comfort, as mentioned, was not bad at all for a sports car.....bumps were fairly well-absorbed most of the time, the only annoying thing being the loud thumps over sharper bumps and road imperfections.

Wind noise was fairly well subdued, an apparant result of the new C6'S much better body/sealing quality than in the past. The fiberglass body, though, in general, even with insulation, is not as effective as a metal one in sealing off road/tire noises, and the loud engine exhaust drone, of course, is simply part of a Corvette.

Brakes were very well-done.....no complaints. The pedal responded quicky, with a firm feel and little or no sponginess, had strong braking action, considering the heavy engine up front, and did not have any of the pedal-location and spacing problems that sometimes causes big shoes like mine to hang up on the bottom of the pedal. Corvettes, of course, are sometimes run at the track or in autocrossing, where enthusiast drivers engage in what is called 'heel-and-toe" braking/downshifts to co-ordinate engine RPM with transmission speed for smooth shifts. Pedal placement in sports cars, of course, has to be made with that in mind, although the Lotus Elise, another classic sports car, has some of the worst pedal-placement I've seen. (Yes, I've reviewed an Elise....that's another whole story).

THE VERDICT:

If your memories of a Corvette are mostly from older models, toss them out with the C6. Though it retains a number of Corvette traditions, it improves vastly upon a number of others. The cheap, annoying, squeak-and-rattle interior is gone. The dump-truck clutch is gone. The lousy, flake-off paint is gone. The fall-off trim and hardware is gone. The unreliable, pop-up headlights are gone. The odd-shaped gauges are gone. The heavy shift action is partly gone...a little of it remains.

But much of the old Corvette remains as well. The engine is still a torque monster, even in base models. The fiberlass body still wards off corrosion and dents. The exhaust still drones your ears, not not quite as much. Traffic cops, in some cases, will follow you like a magnet. Unless your driving record is clean or you have a good insurance company, you will pay a healthy sum to insure one of these cars. Accident repairs can be expensive, and need to be done in special shops.

New Corvettes are vastly better-built than their primary Dodge Viper competitors. And Corvettes are still considered an investment.....their exclusivity and uniqueness of design result in low depreciation. And, after reviewing and driving the base-model coupe, I'm fairly convinced (though I have not driven a Z06 or ZR-1) that the base models are far better bargains than their overpriced brothers. I just don't see the sense in paying 150K or more (with markups) for a car, even if it gives world-class performance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 08:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading now

One thing though, the 3rd pic (3/4 shot) is the previous gen C5 Corvette.
Old 01-05-09, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Reading now

One thing though, the 3rd pic (3/4 shot) is the previous gen C5 Corvette.
Thanks..... I'll take care of that. The Google Internet shots, as I explained, were awful....and mislabeled.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-09 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 09:00 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another great review, as always.

I was hoping that you would do the review on a Z06 but oh well...
Old 01-05-09, 09:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Great review, a friend of mine with a Vette enjoyed you're write-up very much.
Old 01-05-09, 09:06 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes good read, thanks for your review Mike. I've always enjoyed them because it gives me the other side of living with cars on a daily basis other than the typical sideways around tracks that everyone is so hyped about now a days.
Old 01-05-09, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Another great review, as always.

I was hoping that you would do the review on a Z06 but oh well...
Thanks.

Might (?) have been able, in a pinch, to do a Z06 (the ZR-1 was pretty much out of the question), but the base model, IMO, turned out to be a pretty good bargain. I was impressed with it.

Besides, there are plenty of Z06/ZR-1 reviews sitting around in car mags and on the Internet. You won't find many on the base model.
Old 01-05-09, 09:19 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review. Oh, I miss my C5. Was about to get a C6, but along came a baby and got the Lexus instead. The Vette is the type of car, that what you want from the car it does. You want to move through twisty roads it doesn't protest. In several years I pick up a used one and use it for my fun car.
Old 01-05-09, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Yes good read, thanks for your review Mike. I've always enjoyed them because it gives me the other side of living with cars on a daily basis other than the typical sideways around tracks that everyone is so hyped about now a days.
Thanks.

As far as living with it "on a daily basis", though, one must also consider that the Corvette, especially with summer tires, is primarily a good-weather car. If you want to get around on slick roads, take the Subaru.
Old 01-05-09, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Great review, a friend of mine with a Vette enjoyed you're write-up very much.
Thanks.

Since he (apparantly?) lives with it every day, does he agree with my findings?
Old 01-05-09, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mixman
Great review.
Thanks.

Oh, I miss my C5. Was about to get a C6, but along came a baby and got the Lexus instead. The Vette is the type of car, that what you want from the car it does. You want to move through twisty roads it doesn't protest. In several years I pick up a used one and use it for my fun car.
The C5 was, admittedly, a major improvement on the C4 (a classic rattle-and-squeak machine), but, IMO, the C6 is an even bigger improvement on the C5.

Yes, the 'Vette is generally good on a winding road, but even the C6 is not quite as agile as smaller sports cars like the Miata, S2000, Nissan 350Z, etc.....
Old 01-05-09, 09:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As usual, another fine write up mmarshal.

Question for you though. You state that the quality of the interior materials has improved, but from the pics that you show, imo, the interior looks completely inadequate for a car like this. How would you compare it to a Tier 1 brand?

P.S. From all you Subaru comments and fawning I would think that you live here....lol. I swear that every second vehicle in this town is a Subbie. We were at the Safeway last weekend and in the first two rows (maybe 60-70 cars) there were 6 Subarus. They could probably keep an entire dealership open just from this small town...lol.
Old 01-05-09, 09:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
As usual, another fine write up mmarshal.
Thanks. I know you were one of the guys who wanted the ZR-1, but it was just too much of a hassle getting an available one long enough. Those cars are all like gold....or handed out to the auto press.

Question for you though. You state that the quality of the interior materials has improved, but from the pics that you show, imo, the interior looks completely inadequate for a car like this. How would you compare it to a Tier 1 brand?
As I said above, I have to apologize for some of those shots. I know they are not particularly good. The only reason I posted them was because not much was available on that car among Google images, and I don't have a digital camera....or the skills to use and download one. The actual interior in my test car looked better than those dash shots would seem at first glance. But the real improvement between the C5 and C6 interior was not so much just the looks (although that was part of it) but the quality of the materials used.....they are no longer junk (and that's taking into account the difference between the C4 and C5 interiors as well).

P.S. From all you Subaru comments and fawning I would think that you live here....lol. I swear that every second vehicle in this town is a Subbie. We were at the Safeway last weekend and in the first two rows (maybe 60-70 cars) there were 6 Subarus. They could probably keep an entire dealership open just from this small town...lol.
Subies don't just excel in heavy snow or ice. My area does not normally get a lot of heavy snow (usually light amounts here and there), but Subies also do well on rain-slick, gravel, and flooded roads....I went through 18 inches of water in my Outback after a heavy thunderstorm, being careful not to splash too much cold water on the hot brakes or engine/exhaust parts. The AWD also helps give it stability in crosswinds.
Old 01-06-09, 01:33 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a lot for this review. I agree that the internet and the press have both placed too much emphasis on the Z06 and ZR1. The base C6 coupe is something that I would seriously consider buying, as I would pick a GTR over a Z06, and probably not going to spend 6 digits on a domestic (not to mention not having 6 digits for a car budget right now).

Anyways, good review as usual.

also, Subies rock. They just need to fire everyone in the design department now and hire sober people.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 01-06-09 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 04:28 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EXCELLENT as always Mike and you peaked some interest here. One of the guys I play b-ball with is a long-time service manager for GM and says the Vette (at least here) is one of their most relaible cars in regards to service. I was considering a Vette as one of the true sports cars as my next car. With the interior improvements and especially reduced prices, could we now perhaps compare this value-wise with the new 370Z (my other "true sports car" prospect)? I know you haven't reviewed it, but seems to be fair. The upcoming Camaro SS and revised Shelby GT500 are as yet not in this equation.

Great review, you keep giving me/us more cars to consider

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe