Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where's the scam in this? (Benz Navi)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 10:26 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where's the scam in this? (Benz Navi)

I wasn't sure where to post this, just hoping to solicit opinions from people who might know something about this situation.

My (impulsive) sister bought an 06 Mercedes R350. A top selection criterion for her was factory GPS navigation, but she bought one without on the dealer's promise to install it the following week.

Hearing about this, I just got a gut feeling that something must be up. I know that they're desperate to make sales, but is that a concession that a dealer can reasonably make? I'd think that would be a pretty costly change to add a factory option like that. Is my thinking wrong there?

The only saving thing is that the R350 is apparently like the Lexus GS in that it has an LCD screen whether or not it's equipped with NAV. I suppose it's possible that adding navigation is only a matter of installing an add-on module or card. Anyone know?

They were supposed to install it Wednesday and have now told my sister that they're waiting for the part to come in (about another week).

I'm looking for her to get the run around for a while and then be informed that they really tried, but it turns out they just can't do the factory unit, "Here's a voucher for a Garmin Nuvi."

I know I've heard some rule-of-thumb that you should never leave the dealership without something they've promised you. I'd think if they say "We'll put a NAV unit in there next Wednesday," you say "I'll buy the car next Wednesday."
Old 01-02-09, 10:43 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on if it is just a unit that has to be put in or something more. What did she actually get in writing on the final contract?
Old 01-02-09, 11:08 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I guess it depends on if it is just a unit that has to be put in or something more. What did she actually get in writing on the final contract?
Thanks.

I don't know what she got in writing. I'm just kind of presuming that they were able to leave it lose with her and maybe print some non-conditional item (i.e., for the sake of argument, assume it's not in contractual writing - but it is a Mercedes Benz dealership with some amount of reputation). It is gut-wrenching watching her do these things and she routinely leaves details out when the family gets the story. She will not take in any advise or help.

She got sucked in on a spot delivery scam just last year.
Old 01-02-09, 11:25 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she got screwed by a dishonest car dealer (big surprise!). Factory nav is almost impossible to add to an exhisting car and very expensive like $2000 I've researched it in all the car's I've owned. I'm betting if she pushes them they will give her a $200 Garmin (which are actually better than factory navs anyway!)
Old 01-02-09, 11:32 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
(which are actually better than factory navs anyway!)
i dont agree with this statement

thus, i would tell ur sister to withdraw from the deal
since it was a conditional deal anyways
at least i hope she had that factory condition on the contract she signed if she signed any
Old 01-02-09, 11:57 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by toy4two
Factory nav is almost impossible to add to an exhisting car and very expensive like $2000 I've researched it in all the car's I've owned.
Thanks for the comments.

That was my first thought too. My gut reaction was that if I were to walk in with a 3 year old car and have the dealer install factory GPS, it would be $3,000+ to me. It's got to cost the dealership $1,500 or more (even if it's just an add-in module - parts like that can't be cheap). If you're already getting a good price, how/why are they going to give a couple grand more. My sister is not a master negotiator - most people aren't.

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i would tell ur sister to withdraw from the deal
since it was a conditional deal anyways
at least i hope she had that factory condition on the contract she signed if she signed any
I can tell her until I'm blue in the face. At this point we're just spectators.

I doubt that she forced them to obligate themselves. I'm guessing she's at the mercy of integrity and good will at this point - which would be another name for luck, under the circumstances.

It makes me think of the Best Buy (?) commercial where the couple are prepping to go in the store, putting on their "no-sale game faces" in the parking lot and then the husband walks in a blurts out "We'll take it!" with the dumb grin.
Old 01-02-09, 12:10 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by drpepper
I wasn't sure where to post this, just hoping to solicit opinions from people who might know something about this situation.

My (impulsive) sister bought an 06 Mercedes R350. A top selection criterion for her was factory GPS navigation, but she bought one without on the dealer's promise to install it the following week.

Hearing about this, I just got a gut feeling that something must be up. I know that they're desperate to make sales, but is that a concession that a dealer can reasonably make? I'd think that would be a pretty costly change to add a factory option like that. Is my thinking wrong there?

The only saving thing is that the R350 is apparently like the Lexus GS in that it has an LCD screen whether or not it's equipped with NAV. I suppose it's possible that adding navigation is only a matter of installing an add-on module or card. Anyone know?

They were supposed to install it Wednesday and have now told my sister that they're waiting for the part to come in (about another week).

I'm looking for her to get the run around for a while and then be informed that they really tried, but it turns out they just can't do the factory unit, "Here's a voucher for a Garmin Nuvi."

I know I've heard some rule-of-thumb that you should never leave the dealership without something they've promised you. I'd think if they say "We'll put a NAV unit in there next Wednesday," you say "I'll buy the car next Wednesday."

Not that hard actually, expensive install but not hard. It is about a 4 hour diy install by an amatuer so I assume a dealer tech could do it in a quarter of that time with the right tools. If she bought her R350 from a authorized dealer then they will honor the deal. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-02-09, 12:16 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with stormwind. I am sure that they will make it happen and it will be fine.
Old 01-02-09, 12:20 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drpepper

I can tell her until I'm blue in the face. At this point we're just spectators.

I doubt that she forced them to obligate themselves. I'm guessing she's at the mercy of integrity and good will at this point - which would be another name for luck, under the circumstances.

It makes me think of the Best Buy (?) commercial where the couple are prepping to go in the store, putting on their "no-sale game faces" in the parking lot and then the husband walks in a blurts out "We'll take it!" with the dumb grin.
sadly, i dont think relying on integrity from a shady benz dealership is going to help
it is better to be careful
maybe she needs something who knows more about contracts and legality to go with her to the dealership

haha @ bestbuy commercial ... sorry i shouldnt have laughed
lol
Old 01-02-09, 02:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In PA, the dealer gives you an invoice at your sale that says "We Owe:" and they fill in the blank. Normally, they write "NOTHING" in the blank. I would hope an MB dealer wouldn't screw a customer that bad. However--I'm seriously doubting they really are putting in FACTORY nav. It's more than just popping in a unit behind the LCD screen. Factory navs are tied into the cars drive system for true dead reckoning if you lose the sat signal. The Lexus system ties in Bluetooth and rearview camera. I would be suspcious that they are putting in some aftermarket in-dash system.
Old 01-02-09, 03:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reputable dealer gives a "DUE BILL" that spells out work to be done after delivery or clearly states that no additional work or equipment is due. Look in the paperwork that came with the transaction.
Old 01-02-09, 11:04 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Depends on how much of a stickler for terms you want to be. Our '05 E class was purchased on the condition that it came with navigation. They did a dealer swap for a non-navigation car (only one with our color and option specs in the nearby area) and installed the navigation system with no problems at all. Works just as if it were equipped with nav from the factory. Technically it's not a "factory navigation," but it's certainly OEM.

Long story short, it's not a difficult install, especially for the dealer (or at least if the R is anything like the E). Follow up, but I think they'll take care of your sister.
Old 01-03-09, 12:22 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Its a simple add-on on the Benz. A friend added a navi unit to his E500 a few years back (same thing, the dealer promised, and delivered). Mercedes is very good about pre-wiring things. Im certain of this.

Integrated completely, even with the instrumental cluster screen.
Old 01-03-09, 08:13 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Thanks all for the additional remarks.

In large part, I agree that a reputable MB dealership should be expected to operate with more integrity than some others. At the same time though, the spot delivery thing last year with her was a "reputable" Jaguar/Land Rover dealership. She's dealing with a salesperson, not the sales manager or higher up.

There's definitely a good bit of information above to suggest that it is completely do-able.

Regarding the paperwork for the transaction, my sister will not accept any advice or help until it's too late, so we won't see it unless something has gone horribly wrong. So, I don't know what it says.

We'll see what they do next week.