Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So when are we getting internet access in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 11:11 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So when are we getting internet access in our cars?

I've been thinking about this lately and it seems like the next logical step (at least in my opinion) for luxury car manufacturers. Clearly the technology is there, so what's the holdup? I know for myself there are times when I'm in my car and I really wish I had access to check my emails, look up something for work, etc. I'm actually quite surprised this hasn't happened yet or isn't discussed that much on these forums. Yea yea, I know you're not supposed to take your eyes off the road, etc. But if you can use your Navigation system while parked, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to access the internet while parked somewhere as well.

I really started thinking about this lately while listening to the crap reception/poor music selection I continually receive from my satellite radio. How great would it be to get Hi-Fi CD quality internet radio directly from the car's head unit instead?

Do you guys think it will happen? If so, when? and which manufacturer will be the first to introduce it?
Old 12-29-08, 01:14 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Read an article about 3 months ago that the 2010 BMW 7-series will have it.... if it's ANYTHING like i-Drive, expect viruses to destroy the car inside of two weeks!!!
Old 12-29-08, 03:25 PM
Blk 350
Rookie

Blackberries and the IPhone can do all of what was listed if you have a signal. But, they require a data plan unless you can get a wifi connection, the car would also need a data plan.

Last edited by Blk 350; 12-29-08 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 05:16 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Don't know how far they got with this when the car market starting crashing but Chrysler announced they would have a system in cars by years end. I haven't heard of it shipping yet but it is definitely right around the corner.

I was involved in rolling out mobile routers in one of the largest private fleet of vehicles about 4 years ago. The technology worked fine then and has just been getting cheaper and more reliable as time goes by.

My issue is the pricing of the systems. $13/month for XM seems high to me so an additional $30-50/month for a dedicated vehicle link doesn't make sense to me. Find a way to extend my Bluetooth tethered phone link to in-car WiFi and I'll go for it. Otherwise.... eh...
Old 12-29-08, 06:18 PM
LexFather

I would love some voice/text capability in the car. Its funny but adding all these tech/luxurious to cars just makes us more reliant on them.

Old 12-29-08, 06:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

perhaps the car doesn't need internet if it can just leverage the connectivity of a phone or wifi if available. but yes, inevitably all cars will be connected to the internet. and guess what, they'll be able to report their location too. goodbye lojack. and hello DMV that can track down your car when you don't pay the registration, or gee, when you speed. be careful what you ask for...
Old 12-29-08, 06:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

how can you be on the internet and drive without crashing. Checking messages is one thing, but web searches at 80 mph sounds bad
Old 12-29-08, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
how can you be on the internet and drive without crashing. Checking messages is one thing, but web searches at 80 mph sounds bad
being 'on the internet' doesn't necessarily mean using a web browser while driving. an internet connection has HUGE benefits. for example if you could use a talking google maps you'd NEVER have to pay for a map/poi upgrade again, or even if it was a subscription service, at least it would be continually updated.
Old 12-29-08, 08:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

wasnt BMW coming out with a NAV system connected to google 24/7?

i think the barrier is with slow adoption of WiMAX
Old 12-30-08, 06:18 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed a CarPC in my SC430, integrated into the sound system and the navigation screen. I have Internet access via my 3G cellphone through Bluetooth (no additional monthly fee).

And yes, clearly you leave the Google searching to the times when you're parked but, real-time traffic and real-time weather while you're driving is very nice.

What can easily be done via aftermarket accessories will soon become a factory option...and maybe someday standard equipment.
Old 01-06-09, 07:42 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
My issue is the pricing of the systems. $13/month for XM seems high to me so an additional $30-50/month for a dedicated vehicle link doesn't make sense to me. Find a way to extend my Bluetooth tethered phone link to in-car WiFi and I'll go for it. Otherwise.... eh...
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
perhaps the car doesn't need internet if it can just leverage the connectivity of a phone or wifi if available...
Yep, that's what I was thinking. I don't want to pay extra, I'd like to be able to utilize my data plan on my cell phone, and maybe one day soon, my WiMAX plan?

Originally Posted by Habious
I installed a CarPC in my SC430, integrated into the sound system and the navigation screen. I have Internet access via my 3G cellphone through Bluetooth (no additional monthly fee).

And yes, clearly you leave the Google searching to the times when you're parked but, real-time traffic and real-time weather while you're driving is very nice.

What can easily be done via aftermarket accessories will soon become a factory option...and maybe someday standard equipment.
Cool, do you have any links or posts about this? What service provider do you have for your 3G? Sprint, verizon, AT&T? *crosses fingers - T-mobile? (that's why I have and really don't want to leave)
Old 01-06-09, 08:48 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

i think the chryco aspen has something like that
Old 01-07-09, 12:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I watched a program called future cars and they discussed this. They said in the future your car will be the most powerful computer we will own.
Old 01-07-09, 03:20 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I watched a program called future cars and they discussed this. They said in the future your car will be the most powerful computer we will own.
I think we saw the same show. They used a SAAB 9-5 in the show I watched... oooo so futuristic. I just couldn't imagine commuting to work in the passenger seat, it just doesn't seem right to me.

I could see how internet would be a big distraction though, especially in the city.