Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BRP Can-am Spyder roadster

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 07:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRP Can-am Spyder roadster

I don't know if this is re-post or not, if it is please just delete it or ignore it. I just read the Feburary 2009 issue of Car and Driver and it introduced this new "roadster": BRP Can-am spyder roadster and I think it it very interesting so post it here. In California and Delaware all you need is a regular automotive driver license to drive it, and requires a motorcycle license to ride elsewhere in the States.

And the link of the website is here:
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/See/Can-Am/Showroom/Index

0-60 in 4.4 seconds and a relatively comfortable ride with ABS and TCS for $17k is pretty attractive to me. Just wanna share.
Old 12-26-08, 08:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My original post about it from a while back:

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Here's the deal with it:

You have this 1000cc V-Twin engine mounted of a sturdy and confident but heavy (the bike is over 700 lbs) chassis.

You end up with a relatively underpowered engine for the bike (106 hp according to Can-Am) that loses the "fun" for aggressive leaning during turns (it honestly rides more like an ATV than a motorcycle), popping wheelies, unable to split traffic, and inability to park freely between cars and such.

Now, compared to other motorcycles, it sucks.

But, I shouldn't compare the Spyder to a motorcycle, because it really isn't. It's uniqueness of combining a street motorcycle with ATV prowess, in conjunction with its look-at-me-dammit styling, may be worth the $16k price tag.

However, for the power it provides, I would rather have fun with a similarly-powered less-to-insure $6k Suzuki SV650.