Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 12:05 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I find A6/A8 and now the A5/S5 drivers to be very good drivers.

Yes i AM!!!!
Old 12-23-08, 12:15 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You guys have hit on one of the important points.......People, in general, pay way too much attention to marketing and image. Ads and image are exactly that....an idea, and nothing else. When you go car-shopping, you aren't paying for an "image". You are buying (or leasing) a CAR....steel, aluminum, rubber, leather, plastic, and glass.....a material object that you are probably going to have to live with for at least several years. That's what matters, not PR, and that's why Mike (1SICKLEX) and I do reviews...to tell you exactly what you are getting for your money.
Sorry MMarshall.. i have mix feeling about that part.. a lot of people buy a certain car JUST FOR that exact reason... if it ain' true the wife of every doctor or lawyer should be driving a camry.... i mean why they need to spend that much cash on a Benz with 400hp and big brakes when all they do is go really slow to the shoe store???

Last edited by 1993ES300x; 12-23-08 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 12:37 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pff audi is nothing compared to the commercials from pepsi & apple that pretty much do nothing but bash the competition.

If there is one thing that the audi commercials are doing, its saying that they are different than the competition and that they are better.
Old 12-23-08, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
Sorry MMarshall.. i have mix feeling about that part.. a lot of people buy a certain car JUST FOR that exact reason... if it ain' true the wife of every doctor or lawyer should be driving a camry.... i mean why they need to spend that much cash on a Benz with 400hp and big brakes when all they do is go really slow to the shoe store???
Exactly my point. You've just illustrated what I was saying......that a lot of people buy on image, rather than common sense. If image is that important to them, and they can afford it, fine. IMO, it is often a waste of money, and just an attempt to keep up with the Joneses.

But, here's the key......and the gist of the point I made in the earlier post. You can go buy the most expensive Mercedes in the showroom (when I reviewed the ML320 BlueTec diesel several weeks ago, they had a Mercedes-McClaren in the showroom worth $500,000....one of the most expensive new cars I've ever seen for public sale. Image? Yes, but in the end, what good is it, especially on our crowded streets here? Its 200 MPH-plus top speed, here, is worthless. I averaged, in traffic, maybe 25 MPH in my Outback, going to and from that Mercedes shop for the review.
Old 12-23-08, 02:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think people forget that there is a certain price point for functionality, and then anything else beyond that costs extra.

What Mike (MMarshall) is saying is that you can pay a premium for the image that Audi is presenting. Although their "cake" is pretty much a Volkswagen, the "icing" is the image that Audi adds onto the car.

The question the original poster wanted to address: Is Audi's marketing ploy immature?

Mike says YES, because it's creating an image that people are (foolishly) willing to pay.
Le (1993ES300x) says NO, because their advertising expresses what people are (wothwhile) willing to pay.

There is no correct answer. Just opinionated ones...
Old 12-23-08, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think people forget that there is a certain price point for functionality, and then anything else beyond that costs extra.

What Mike (MMarshall) is saying is that you can pay a premium for the image that Audi is presenting. Although their "cake" is pretty much a Volkswagen, the "icing" is the image that Audi adds onto the car.

The question the original poster wanted to address: Is Audi's marketing ploy immature?

Mike says YES, because it's creating an image that people are (foolishly) willing to pay.
Le (1993ES300x) says NO, because their advertising expresses what people are (wothwhile) willing to pay.

There is no correct answer. Just opinionated ones...
Yes, Phil....you're close, but I (and others) had actually gotten off-topic a little. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with buying an Audi.....just buy one for the right reasons, that's all. For instance, I'd buy an A3 with the 2.0T, DSG, and Quattro (and without MMI, if possible), but Audi wouldn't equip the A3 that way until just recently....they made you buy the 3.2L to get Quattro. Why? Audi won't say exactly why, but it appears to be "image" related.
Old 12-23-08, 03:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

My guess is that from Audi's standpoint, it's a dollars and sense issue more than an image issue.

They no doubt feel for some reason(s) it's not to their advantage to equip the A3 that way. Either they want to reserve some option combinations as an incentive to move up to an A4, or the already pricey A3 would just be too expensive and further limit the sales of the car.

I like the A3, but for a smallish 4 cyl (even if it is turbocharged) it's expensive.
Old 12-23-08, 05:37 PM
LexFather

Well again, the marketing seems to be better but is it translating to sales? The R8 would have sold irregardless of commercials and its low volume. A4 has done okay at best, the rest of the lineup sells lackluster.

The new Q5 is 8 years late and now debuts in a recession.

I've said it YEARS ago, there is only room for 3 Tier 1 brands in America. This also holds true for Europe. Lexus/Audi swap places based on the continents

Old 12-23-08, 05:49 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? Audi won't say exactly why, but it appears to be "image" related.
It has to due with simple demand/supply on Audi of America's part. They don't import every European combination from Germany. This spills over into the VW range in America as well.
Old 12-23-08, 05:50 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well again, the marketing seems to be better but is it translating to sales? The R8 would have sold irregardless of commercials and its low volume. A4 has done okay at best, the rest of the lineup sells lackluster.

The new Q5 is 8 years late and now debuts in a recession.

I've said it YEARS ago, there is only room for 3 Tier 1 brands in America. This also holds true for Europe. Lexus/Audi swap places based on the continents
Audi has been selling very well over the past year, over the last 10 years really. Consecutive YOY growth in sales, revenue, and market share. And remember, they are one of the few auto makers to post virtually flat sales from last year. The A4 is selling very well worldwide as well.
Old 12-23-08, 06:02 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I'm of the recent graduate crowd and would like to silently approve of said Audi stereotype (for the record, I drive an ES350), especially A4s.
Old 12-23-08, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Audi has been selling very well over the past year, over the last 10 years really. Consecutive YOY growth in sales, revenue, and market share. And remember, they are one of the few auto makers to post virtually flat sales from last year. The A4 is selling very well worldwide as well.
I am talking about America. Remember I like Audi, I read up a lot about the brand.
Sales have grown here but still are very small, lower than Acura and Infiniti, Caddy and I believe Lincoln.

Also their sales have been from DOWNMARKET products mostly even as they expand their "S" line.

Old 12-23-08, 06:10 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, but that large volume disparity in America just leaves all the more room to grow
Old 12-23-08, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Yes, but that large volume disparity in America just leaves all the more room to grow
"we have agressive growth for expansion"
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/i...ht-joker_l.jpg

I did say that Audi would break 100k this year, won't happen. I also stated they would eventually pass Infiniti here in sales. They COULD happen as Infiniti can't sell anything besides the G sedan right now.

Old 12-23-08, 07:39 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

This kind of marketing confirms Audi as an also-ran. As the OP pointed out, it is so freakin' obvious that they're looking from below at Lexus, BMW, and MB with envy. It certainly makes me, for one, look less favorably on them as a brand and potential car in the future...

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)