Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R races Vette (ZHZ)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 07:42 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT-R races Vette (ZHZ)

I feel almost guilty posting yet another GT-R thread around here, seeing as how they tend to end up going down in flames, but this is kind of fun. A guy challenges the GT-R to a drag race with a Corvette ZHZ with Nitrous (yeah, I didn't know what it was either, so I posted some info below). See the vid to see how it turned out...
http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/12/18...ette-with-nos/

The Chevrolet Corvette is a formidable machine, and even if it is priced more moderately than most other sports cars it is still unattainable for many. Renting a sports or super car is of course possible, just like renting a van when you move house, but the companies who rent them out are far between. Hertz is steadily growing its Fun Collection (or Rent-a-Racer) with rental cars like the Ford Mustang, Nissan 350Z and the Shelby GT-H.

Hertz has now announced that they have ordered 500 Corvette ZHZ's from General Motors. The Corvette ZHZ is a Hertz only special edition with 436 hp V8 engine, paddle shift automatic transmission and Hertz' yellow and black paint scheme. Other features include a dual-mode centered exhaust system, magnetic selective ride control, in front 18 inch and in the back 19 inch seven-spoke performance wheels, screen-mesh package and a rear spoiler.

Interested in taking the Corvette ZHZ for a spin? Then head on over to one of the 24 US airport Hertz offices including Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco.
Old 12-19-08, 08:13 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

HaHa, Craig told me about this (he did most of the filming), funny to hear him say
"put your head between your legs..."
Old 12-19-08, 08:52 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

already rented it twice from Hertz... my friend rents so many cars that he gets to drive them for free..
Old 12-19-08, 05:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The GTR rules . Bottom line. Its untouchable for the money in stock form. How about we let the GTR put a 100 shot on it. It would kill a ZO6 with NOS . NEXT!!! When are these guys going to learn. These guys who dont like the GTR are not enthusiasts. They are just haters. I trust the objective opinions of automotive journalists than the opinion of some envious and sadly uninformed " car guy".lol The GTR will spank all comers until there are no non believers. Its a new beast for many of these guys who like american cars ( I just threw up in my mouth a little). Like its hardcore rep in europe, japan, and australia, Godzilla will teach the ignorant and gain that respect . You can learn from sound *** kickings cant you????

I love how at the end the guy in the vette keeps making excuses . Its a slush box, run flat tires, no launch control. Dude was spraying a huge V8, did a burnout, in a car that weighs 350-400 lbs less tat puts out more power than the GTR. Keep making excuses. Like the porsche clowns at the Nurburgring. They couldnt even get close the posted Nissan GTR times so they accused them of cheating. Then Nissan released the video and told them if they need help learning how to drive the GTR they will help them. That was a pricless comeback. If I had a GTR my license plate would say I8A4RE, ENZOKLR, Z06 LOL, or just GODZILA.

like I have said before , The japanese are again forcing the sports car industry to take notice and rethink the way they are doing things. Just like when the first NSX came onto the scene. It killed most if not all of the competition, and did it with less power and weight. The GTR is making a bigger splash , but it still has the germans and americans scratching their heads. The germans will answer with more power and balance for the 911 turbo. The americans will probably do the typical thing and just add another 1-2 liters to the engine size. typical american sledge hammer approach in designing a sports car. The japanese and germans use more of the scalpel approach. Look at the Viper. Its a very very quick machine, but uses an 8 liter motor and has no traction control to keep it on the road. sledgehammer. the GTR uses a turbo 3.8 liter, AWD, Traction control, and an aray of cutting edge tricks. Scalpel.

I wish these guys would respect the GTR , but if not, the GTR will just spank these clowns and their lame dated cars with their dated technology ( push rod V8's what a joke) one racer at a time. Vette guys you will learn sooner than later. NOS or no NOS. lol . Prepared to get schooled over and over. By the time the V spec comes out god help Porsche and corvette. the Viper will probably be discontinued by then.( if not they can just drop a 10 liter motor in it). If the GTR will spank these guys in the current form, imagine the terror a tweaked version with 80 more hp and 2-300 lbs less weight, and next generation suspension.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-19-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-19-08, 08:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

geeze they sprayed a rental car
lol

well u can spray a GT-R too but im guessing a dry 100 shot would kill the transmission
Old 12-19-08, 09:18 PM
blkonblksc
Rookie

1/8th mile track is perfect for an AWD vehicle. The reality is you aren't even going that fast by the time the race is over (around 100mph or so). As much as I like the GTR it would have been a lot more interesting at a 1/4 mile track. Enjoyable video none the less.
Old 12-20-08, 11:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Trust me. Godzilla would have crushed that C6 vette.
Old 12-21-08, 12:17 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The GTR rules . Bottom line. Its untouchable for the money in stock form. How about we let the GTR put a 100 shot on it. It would kill a ZO6 with NOS . NEXT!!! When are these guys going to learn. These guys who dont like the GTR are not enthusiasts. They are just haters. I trust the objective opinions of automotive journalists than the opinion of some envious and sadly uninformed " car guy".lol The GTR will spank all comers until there are no non believers. Its a new beast for many of these guys who like american cars ( I just threw up in my mouth a little). Like its hardcore rep in europe, japan, and australia, Godzilla will teach the ignorant and gain that respect . You can learn from sound *** kickings cant you????

I love how at the end the guy in the vette keeps making excuses . Its a slush box, run flat tires, no launch control. Dude was spraying a huge V8, did a burnout, in a car that weighs 350-400 lbs less tat puts out more power than the GTR. Keep making excuses. Like the porsche clowns at the Nurburgring. They couldnt even get close the posted Nissan GTR times so they accused them of cheating. Then Nissan released the video and told them if they need help learning how to drive the GTR they will help them. That was a pricless comeback. If I had a GTR my license plate would say I8A4RE, ENZOKLR, Z06 LOL, or just GODZILA.

like I have said before , The japanese are again forcing the sports car industry to take notice and rethink the way they are doing things. Just like when the first NSX came onto the scene. It killed most if not all of the competition, and did it with less power and weight. The GTR is making a bigger splash , but it still has the germans and americans scratching their heads. The germans will answer with more power and balance for the 911 turbo. The americans will probably do the typical thing and just add another 1-2 liters to the engine size. typical american sledge hammer approach in designing a sports car. The japanese and germans use more of the scalpel approach. Look at the Viper. Its a very very quick machine, but uses an 8 liter motor and has no traction control to keep it on the road. sledgehammer. the GTR uses a turbo 3.8 liter, AWD, Traction control, and an aray of cutting edge tricks. Scalpel.

I wish these guys would respect the GTR , but if not, the GTR will just spank these clowns and their lame dated cars with their dated technology ( push rod V8's what a joke) one racer at a time. Vette guys you will learn sooner than later. NOS or no NOS. lol . Prepared to get schooled over and over. By the time the V spec comes out god help Porsche and corvette. the Viper will probably be discontinued by then.( if not they can just drop a 10 liter motor in it). If the GTR will spank these guys in the current form, imagine the terror a tweaked version with 80 more hp and 2-300 lbs less weight, and next generation suspension.
It's posts like this why the GTR gets so much hate

First of all, that wasn't a Z06, that was a base Corvette rental car. Of course a GTR's going to be faster

I don't know what the "Japanese way of doing things" has to do with anything. The GTR is a great car, so is the Corvette. The GTR is faster than a base Vette, and faster than the Z06 in most cases. The Viper that you're dismissing is faster than the GTR around the 'ring and almost any other track. I don't see why it has to be one or the other, they're all great cars
Old 12-21-08, 12:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

yes they are all great cars, but the GTR is the greatest. I know it was a base vette, and you are neglecting that the clown had a 100 shot nitrous on a car that weighs 300-400lbs less, and also did a burnout. Call it like it is. For the money Godzilla cant be beat. Ferrari 599, Maserat GT, Porsche 997 GT2, Z06, ferrari california, F430, 612 scalietti, Benz SLR, aston martin ( all models), and all lamborghinis I can think of are slower than the GTR. Everyone hates the top dog. Now its time for Godzilla to be in that coveted hated position. Hate all you want. The GTR is still faster in a straight line and on any track than these cars that cost 3-8 times the prices of a GTR .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-21-08 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 12:37 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

yes they are all great cars, but the GTR is the greatest. I know it was a base vette, and you are neglecting that the clown had a 100 shot nitrous on a car that weighs 300-400lbs less, and also did a burnout. Call it like it is. Godzilla cant be beat. Ferrari 599, Maserat GT, Porsche 997 GT2, Z06, ferrari california, F430, 612 scalietti, Benz SLR, aston martin ( all models), and all lamborghinis I can think of are slower than the GTR. Everyone hates the top dog. Now its time for Godzilla to be in that coveted hated position. Hate all you want. The GTR is still faster in a straight line and on any track than these cars that cost 3-8 times the prices of a GTR .
What does a burnout have to do with it? The Vette being 300-400lbs less is a GOOD thing. And I have no idea what a 100shot of nitrous adds as far as power, and I don't care. There are videos of Civics beating Lambos, a single video means nothing

Godzilla CAN be beat, but you conveniently declined to mention the ZR1 and Viper ACR that are both faster than the GTR, although they cost more (but not that much more)

I'm not going to get into a childish "Car A is better than Car B" argument because

1) I'm a GTR fan
2) I'm not 12 years old

But at least try to make sense when defending a car. Posts like yours actually lower people's opinions of the GTR. It's a great car and it's arguably faster than anything in it's price range, but it's a shame that somehow inspires ridiculous posts on the internet
Old 12-21-08, 01:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
What does a burnout have to do with it? The Vette being 300-400lbs less is a GOOD thing. And I have no idea what a 100shot of nitrous adds as far as power, and I don't care.

You didnt understand my post. It looks foolish when you respond to something that wasnt even communicated

Godzilla CAN be beat, but you conveniently declined to mention the ZR1 and Viper ACR that are both faster than the GTR, although they cost more (but not that much more)

I'm not going to get into a childish "Car A is better than Car B" argument because

1) I'm a GTR fan
2) I'm not 12 years old

But at least try to make sense when defending a car. Posts like yours actually lower people's opinions of the GTR. It's a great car and it's arguably faster than anything in it's price range, but it's a shame that somehow inspires ridiculous posts on the internet
starting with yours
Old 12-21-08, 09:13 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah, i rented two of those vettes from hertz,... the drop top model,... and it is very fast.... but i'd still would have put my money on the GT-R... I'd probably would of said a heavily modded Supra would be a comparable race.
Old 12-21-08, 10:01 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Gt-r ftw :d
Old 12-22-08, 11:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me. Godzilla would have crushed that C6 vette.
After the 1/8th mile the Vette would have won.

yes they are all great cars, but the GTR is the greatest. I know it was a base vette, and you are neglecting that the clown had a 100 shot nitrous on a car that weighs 300-400lbs less, and also did a burnout. Call it like it is. For the money Godzilla cant be beat. Ferrari 599, Maserat GT, Porsche 997 GT2, Z06, ferrari california, F430, 612 scalietti, Benz SLR, aston martin ( all models), and all lamborghinis I can think of are slower than the GTR. Everyone hates the top dog. Now its time for Godzilla to be in that coveted hated position. Hate all you want. The GTR is still faster in a straight line and on any track than these cars that cost 3-8 times the prices of a GTR .
What the hell did you expect? Of course the GTR would win against a regular RWD performance vehicle in an 1/8th mile.

On a roll, however, the GTR would have seen taillights. A 100 shot of nitrous on a car that weighs ~800lbs less than the GTR (remember Vettes weigh around 3100lbs) and already makes almost 400whp would have propelled it past the GTR. How do I know? Because the Z06 is faster than the GTR and it costs about the same amount of money and an LS3 with a 100shot is FASTER than a Z06.
Old 12-22-08, 11:27 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
yeah, i rented two of those vettes from hertz,... the drop top model,... and it is very fast.... but i'd still would have put my money on the GT-R... I'd probably would of said a heavily modded Supra would be a comparable race.
Small single swap would kill the GTR.

Quick Reply: GT-R races Vette (ZHZ)