Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ticket Specifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 11:38 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket Specifications

Last night, my friend and I were driving, when he rolled a stop sign and was pulled over by police waiting around the corner. We got the normal talking to, and the ticket, and we were on our way. After reading the ticket over, the cop made a few mistakes. My friend's birthday is January 14 1991, making him 17 right now, but the cop marked 18 on the ticket. Also, the cop wrote down the car as a 1969 ranger, when it clearly says bronco on the sides of the car, on the registration and also on the insurance card.

With these mistakes, is there any way to get out of the ticket if he were to fight it?

Thanks guys
Old 12-14-08, 12:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont know man. sounds like you could be reaching. good luck with it
Old 12-14-08, 05:44 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ticket, in many cases like this, will most likely be thrown out in court. Tickets have to be very specific, with the CORRECT information on them. The fact that the cop cannot record the correct information, especially with documents handed to him to copy directly from, will not make him look to good in the judges eyes. You need to take the ticket to court, plead not guilty to the charges, as well as point out the mistakes in the ticket; RESPECTFULLY!! Take your documents and a few pics of the car, showing the name, with you as well for the judge to compare. Most likely, the ticket will be tossed and you may have to do court cost.
Old 12-14-08, 07:02 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Your friend should take it like a man and quit looking for ways out. Especially such a minor ticket. Ultimately you will succeed in life not by trying to avoid the consequences of your actions but by owning up to them.
Old 12-14-08, 07:07 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The error you mentioned in it of itself is not material enough to throw away the complaint. However, if you plead "NOT GUILTY" and show up on the court date, you should be able to knock this down to some non-moving violation garbage that will not hurt your insurance rate.

Originally Posted by trukn1
Ticket, in many cases like this, will most likely be thrown out in court. Tickets have to be very specific, with the CORRECT information on them. The fact that the cop cannot record the correct information, especially with documents handed to him to copy directly from, will not make him look to good in the judges eyes. You need to take the ticket to court, plead not guilty to the charges, as well as point out the mistakes in the ticket; RESPECTFULLY!! Take your documents and a few pics of the car, showing the name, with you as well for the judge to compare. Most likely, the ticket will be tossed and you may have to do court cost.
Old 12-14-08, 02:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with above. the mistakes itself is not enough to get it thrown out of court. Those are all minor mistakes and usually are given the benefit out doubt. However, if you fight the ticket, you probably will have a slightly better hand to fight with and have it work in your favor. That could mean a full dismissal to a reduction in fine to anything in between. I personally have not heard of too many tickets being dismissed because of a few obvious mistakes like this.
Old 12-14-08, 06:08 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Your friend should take it like a man and quit looking for ways out. Especially such a minor ticket. Ultimately you will succeed in life not by trying to avoid the consequences of your actions but by owning up to them.
Yeah, full stop ftw.
Old 12-14-08, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I wouldn't quite phrase it the way he did, but Mr Johnson is basically correct. The violation was committed by the vehicle's driver...it doesn't matter if he was driving a Kia Rio or a Ferrari. His driver's license number.....and record.....are what matters, not the vehicle itself. The average judge is not going to care if every "i" is dotted and "t" is crossed perfectly on the ticket.... judges know that cops often have to scribble out tickets in less-than-perfect conditions in bad weather, on the side of the road, etc.......with lousy pens that don't write well..

So, like Johnson, I agree...pay up, learn from it, and from now on stop when you see a stop sign....or, if not a full stop, at least don't roll through at significant speed. While significant, it is not a serious offense, and will go off of your record in a few years if you don't get sny more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 06:41 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. It may be a minor ticket, but it's enough for insurance companies to violate him (especially since he's a young male) for the next few years at the very least. It's not about 'avoiding the consequences of your actions' but about not being stupid
Old 12-14-08, 10:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I can only speak for ticekts up here but I can't imagine it's that different.

Take a photo copy of the ticket and mail it to the where ever you mail the notice saying you're disputing the ticket. Chances are it won't even make it to court if it's that wrong. Note: by providing the photo copy you're politely showing that you know something is wrong without being in their face or a smart *** about it
Old 12-15-08, 08:16 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It really depends on the jurisdiction and the judge you draw. Most judges understand that there can be a lot of confusion over year and model of various cars. A cop who is careful will get the information on the ticket from your license plate, VIN, or registration, not just an "estimate" based on his own knowledge of cars. At least that way he has some support for issuing the ticket on that vehicle.

Producing a photo of the vehicle in court, along with a photo of a Ranger might help to illustrate the considerable difference between the two vehicles. Showing the registration might be helpful proving that the vehicle was NOT a Ranger. But that may or may not do you any good in court.

Most judges don't put too fine a point on the description of the vehicle, especially when the driver's ID was recorded and the ticket issued to HIM, not the particular vehicle. Your friend rolled the stop sign, it doesn't really matter WHAT he was driving at the time. This is just a matter of poor housekeeping on the officer's part. If he witnessed the infraction and immediately pulled the car over without losing sight of it, at least in my neighborhood, your buddy's hosed. Better see if your friend can opt for traffic school.
Old 12-15-08, 11:16 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The judges I have run into over the years have been level headed, fair guys, trying to be just. Now, that is not to say that a judge might not have some reason to dismiss the ticket but the two factors cited in the OP have absolutely nothing to do with the violation. So the cop didn't do the math right for his age or get the exact vehicle correct? My guess is all that you will do is PO the judge if the perp tries to dispute this ticket on that basis.
Old 12-15-08, 06:18 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone. I sent him this link and he's appreciative of it.

And by the way, he did learn and now stops at all stop signs.

Thanks again
Old 12-15-08, 07:08 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Jeeze... Kids born in 1991 are driving now??? GOTDamn I'm getting old...
Old 12-16-08, 04:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PVlexus
Last night, my friend and I were driving, when he rolled a stop sign and was pulled over by police waiting around the corner. We got the normal talking to, and the ticket, and we were on our way. After reading the ticket over, the cop made a few mistakes. My friend's birthday is January 14 1991, making him 17 right now, but the cop marked 18 on the ticket. Also, the cop wrote down the car as a 1969 ranger, when it clearly says bronco on the sides of the car, on the registration and also on the insurance card.

With these mistakes, is there any way to get out of the ticket if he were to fight it?

Thanks guys
that works on a parking ticket, but not so sure on a moving violation.

Quick Reply: Ticket Specifications