Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$80K car in DC gets wheels stolen and then dragged on rotors by towing company

Old 12-07-08, 05:23 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $80K car in DC gets wheels stolen and then dragged on rotors by towing company

Interesting story, all caught on tape...

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/120...?ref=newsstory
Old 12-07-08, 07:55 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow.....thats what happens when ppl dont follow procedures, they get sued.
Old 12-07-08, 07:57 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just goes to show another example of the money-hungry tactics of the city. Am at a mixed reaction to this becuase both sides have valid points. From the city side, the car was on city streets, not private property on cinder blocks. It was not moveable and ANY CAR, doesnt matter what city you are in, will be towed after several days of non-movement; especially if someone calls in on the vehicle. Falls under the "public eye-sore" clause. Alot of cities will chalk mark the tires and corresponding ground to make sure the vehicle is moving. Since the car had no tires to mark, and it had not been moved for several days, they had every right to tow it. The method of towing and securing the vehicle REALLY SHOULD HAVE been handled ALOT MORE carefully. I don't know of 1 towing company in existence that does not have a tow dolly at it's disposal. This would have allowed 1 end of the car to be set on the dolly and the other end to be lifted in the air to be towed; without incident. This is what a commercial tow dolly looks like,,

One end of the car could have been lifted and secured onto this device and the other end towed without incident. This city was VERY NEGLIGENT in their towing method and should be held responsible for the damage they created with their towing. Aint like they can deny towing the car; was on tape.

The couple themselves, while having a legitimate merit to be upset by the damage caused, is just pathetic. They say the GOOD reason why the car sat there so long is b/c they were waiting for the parts to come in. Are you kidding me?? This qualifies as a good reason??? Is like me saying, "Officer I don't have to money to fix my car right now, so I'm gonna leave it here on the street until I can get the funds;OK? Don't tow it!!" Insurance company needed to have the car towed/transported to a safe facility, and provided them with a rental in the process, until their car was fixed/parts came in. Understand they went though alot of precautions to make sure that it was well documented that the car was not stolen, but bottom line is it was still on the PUBLIC streets and not private property. They say that no one told them they were violating anything, but c'mon. If it were anybody else's car, in front of their house, on cinder blocks, for days, they would have had it hauled off far b4 5 days. Alot of neighborhoods, especially in DC area have neighborhood associations, similar to condo associations, in which they strictly rule/govern what goes on in their area. A car on blocks, that aint moving will not be tolerated but for only a few days (if that).
Old 12-07-08, 09:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$80K? Uhhh that's an S4
Old 12-07-08, 09:51 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

News report said 70k..
Old 12-07-08, 09:57 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

what kind of moron would tow it with no wheels?
Old 12-07-08, 10:14 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, I'm going to side with the car owners on this one. They filed a police report & had new stuff on order, what else do you want them to do?

I also think the cops completely dropped the ball on this one, they knew what was up with the car but someone was too lazy to look further than his own note pad and still towed the car like complete morons (or if they did make this decision to tow the car while staring at all the information/reports then they're complete a**holes)
Old 12-07-08, 11:25 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

They better get a NEW car... That car is useless now... Not just because of it being pulled on it's rotors (which isn't that big of a deal), but the fact that they were lifting the car while it was halfway on the flat bed... That will definitely do damage to the frame and it's underpinnings. Just goes to prove that there are stupid people on this planet... especially if the man that reported it is a neighbor of the owner of the car...
Old 12-07-08, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Exactly whats wrong with our government and people in general. She should have maybe left a note in the car on the dash b/c people and city workers can be complete morons.

Tow companies don't give a crap. Once that call is made, IT WILL be towed. Clearly the tow company didn't give 2 craps how they got the car. I can't understand how the driver could be so negligent to cause additional damage to the car.

This is a classic example of why we are in the mess we are in.

Old 12-07-08, 04:52 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I guess they didn't buy wheel locks????

unreal
Old 12-07-08, 04:56 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by litesoarer
News report said 70k..

tax, title, license, 56k sticker fully loaded.......interest factored in for finance.......yeah, sounds about right
Old 12-07-08, 05:20 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

They really screwed them with the tow job. The owner should have taped a note or 2 inside the car window with all of her contact information, then it would have been extremely negligent on the part of the city. Would you leave your lexus there for five days? I wouldn't. There is a theory out there called the broken window theory. If a broken window does not get fixed quickly, the house then gets taken over and eventually destroyed, because it looks abandoned. same theory applies. I would not have left my car alone for 5 minutes had i seen someone already damaged it and stole the wheels. The lady is just as negligent as the city and tow driver.
Old 12-07-08, 05:47 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skinny gs
They really screwed them with the tow job. The owner should have taped a note or 2 inside the car window with all of her contact information, then it would have been extremely negligent on the part of the city. Would you leave your lexus there for five days? I wouldn't. There is a theory out there called the broken window theory. If a broken window does not get fixed quickly, the house then gets taken over and eventually destroyed, because it looks abandoned. same theory applies. I would not have left my car alone for 5 minutes had i seen someone already damaged it and stole the wheels. The lady is just as negligent as the city and tow driver.
Ya, I wouldn't have left it either... I am surprised it didn't get stripped down since apparently it was in an area where people can take the wheels off without unwanted attention.
Old 12-07-08, 05:48 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
I guess they didn't buy wheel locks????

unreal
You have waaay too much confidence in wheel locks. If they want the wheels then they will be theirs. Wheel locks will just cost them a few more seconds.
Old 12-07-08, 06:14 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

True.........so i guess I spent $180.00 extra just to make car thieves work harder!

Damn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $80K car in DC gets wheels stolen and then dragged on rotors by towing company