Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

#1 G37S vs. #2 CC VR6 4Motion vs. #3 TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 01:57 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
..Just goes to show you that the Passat has always wiped the floor clean with it's immediate competition. The Accord, Altima, Camry - they are all in a lesser class than this car, and it's really always been that way. The fact that it can compete, and even out-class it's mid-size competitior's premium-marque vehicles (Infiniti/Acura) goes to show you there is a reason their cars cost more.

Remember, the VR6 Passat 4 Motion (Non CC) has been selling since 2006 in this $40K price range. Same narrow angle screaming V6 (which is like an angry beast at redline, like a Honda, yet has obscene amounts of low-end pull), same upscale interior (that easily can compete with the ES/TL), 4 motion system, 600 watt Dynaudio (which can be had in low grade upper twenty something Passat's (LUX package). Finally this masterpiece of a vehicle in so many areas gets the respect it deserves, too bad it took until a new body style and to 2009! I have been trying to say all of this for the last three years. Passat 3.6 non-CC VR6 4 Motion is a superior vehicle to the outgoing TL, IMO, yet many Honda people refuse to admit this. The fact that a 4 year old platform VW B6 platform car beats out Honda's latest Accord and TL both (read MT comparison, passat #1, Accord distant 4th) goes to show you the detail and engineering that is built into many VW products. This car is not really your average VW either - it may as well have an Audi badge on it (as Passat's in top trim always should have had).

But really, the CC is a bargain put up against the A4, which for the same price, is smaller, has a lesser audio system, is slower, etc. Funny how the 3.6 VR6 outpaces the 3.2 Audi V6.
The CC is a 40K car. It's a separate model and a cut above the garden variety Passat which competes with the CamCordAlti. But I agree that even in that match up the Passat has a higher level of luxury.

Last edited by speedflex; 11-25-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-25-08, 01:59 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmb0000
For 35-40k I would rather take the IS350 or BMW 335I. Nothing against G37 but IS interior kill the G and 335I handling is just amazing

I've always felt the IS and second generation G interiors were not that far apart. Definitely not a slam dunk in either one's favor.
Old 11-25-08, 02:06 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
For 35-40k I would rather take the IS350 or BMW 335I. Nothing against G37 but IS interior kill the G and 335I handling is just amazing
If you could get a comperably equipped IS350 or 335 for $35K that would not be a bad deal, but the G37 lists for about $4K less than either when they have comperable equipment. In addition, the G37 has enough rear seat room to acutually use it for 4 adults, something that can't be done with the IS. There is really very little difference in interior quality when you look at the latest G37s.
Steve
Old 11-25-08, 02:24 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
The second point maybe but VWs resale value is #1 in North. America, higher than both Toyota and Honda.
Where did that data come from? Because of VW's terrible reliability, I would have thought trade value would suffer. Just as a check, I went to Edmunds and compared '06 models of the TL, G35, and Passat. All were V6 automatics with 30K miles and clean condition. Results:
TL $20562
G35 $19474
VW $19055

The VW new cost about $1000 more than the others and now is worth less on trade. Hardly #1 resale value. What did I miss?

Steve
Old 11-25-08, 03:36 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Where did that data come from? Because of VW's terrible reliability, I would have thought trade value would suffer. Just as a check, I went to Edmunds and compared '06 models of the TL, G35, and Passat. All were V6 automatics with 30K miles and clean condition. Results:
TL $20562
G35 $19474
VW $19055

The VW new cost about $1000 more than the others and now is worth less on trade. Hardly #1 resale value. What did I miss?

Steve
KBB stated so, not me. You're method is hardly scientific. Remember it is calculated over the entire brand of vehicles, and varies by region.

Further this just shows you that cost of ownership and resale value are hardly directly correlated. If that were the case every BMW would fall far short of Japapese competition. Volkswagen benefits from the perceptions ov German quality and engineering as well as enthusiasm of their products, even as used cars, which is atypical for most other competitors.

Last edited by FKL; 11-25-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-25-08, 07:17 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

the 3.6 vr6 sounds amazing, i much prefer it over the is350 tl and g35/37. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RD47wfTw68
Old 11-25-08, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

That Passat CC is elegant and gorgeous. MAJOR kudos to VW.

The TL looks horrendously ugly compared to both the Passat the G37S.
Old 11-25-08, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That Passat CC is elegant and gorgeous. MAJOR kudos to VW.

The TL looks horrendously ugly compared to both the Passat the G37S.
The CC looks even better modded. Really nice looking car. The TL is disgusting, period, one of the worst looking anythings ever produced. Sad. If you want a laugh go here. I googled TL ugly and found this thread. The comments had me lmfao

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=acura

Last edited by LexFather; 11-25-08 at 08:51 PM.

Old 11-25-08, 08:11 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by FKL
KBB stated so, not me.
Only two years removed from its last “Best Brand” title in our annual Best Resale Value Awards, Honda has again taken top honors. The importance of quality is magnified in the eyes of a used car buyer, and Honda’s reputation for delivering well-built, reliable, dependable automobiles is well earned and well known. Fuel efficiency is another Honda hallmark, and another attribute likely to get greater attention from buyers seeking added value in the used car market. Sales leaders like the Accord and Civic might be the first vehicles that come to mind when thinking about Honda and resale values, but those industry stalwarts are backed by an entire fleet of vehicles that continually prove more resilient in regards to resale value than most—sometimes all—of their competitors.
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewsAndReview...ctedTabIndex=2
Old 11-25-08, 08:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
..Just goes to show you that the Passat has always wiped the floor clean with it's immediate competition. The Accord, Altima, Camry - they are all in a lesser class than this car, and it's really always been that way. The fact that it can compete, and even out-class it's mid-size competitior's premium-marque vehicles (Infiniti/Acura) goes to show you there is a reason their cars cost more.
Passat never actually won many reviews because of it is price, and not many buyers either. Thats why they are designing new vehicle that will be cheaper and replace Passat for US market.

I mean CC is more expensive than Infinity... it better compete with it, what else should it be competing with? Avalon?
Old 11-25-08, 11:36 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

VW won in 2008, where Honda was in 4th place.

http://www.vw.com/vwbuzz/browse/en/u..._Blue_Book/178

Originally Posted by WSJ
Volkswagen has steadily moved up the resale survey's rankings in the past five years, helped by a combination of value pricing, European styling and fuel efficiency, KBB says. KBB predicts vehicles sold through Volkswagen will retain 48.1% of their original price.

Three of the German brand's models in particular -- the Eos, Jetta and Rabbit -- have average residuals greater than 50%. The majority of Volkswagen's vehicles have held more than 48% of their original price over the past five years, KBB says, and all but one model has improved its residual values in the past year.

Volkswagen has a minuscule market share in the U.S. but has hinted it intends to add capacity here and ramp up sales.

Of the four brands ranked immediately Volkswagen, none was separated by more than a percentage point.

A year ago, Acura and Honda tied for the top spot. This year's results in part reflected differences in the way Kelley calculated residuals. Despite failing to maintain the top spot in the survey, Acura and Honda models improved their resale values from a year ago, KBB said.

"We'll be back," says Mike Spencer, an Acura spokesman.

Oh, and by the way VW was #3 on the 2009 rankings which were just released. So much for that supposed terrible vw reliability hurting their resale values. Oh, and humor yourself and go see what a used 06 Jetta TDI runs on the used car market - the cars have lost virtually zero value, in some cases gaining value. Can't say the same for Hybrids.

Last edited by FKL; 11-25-08 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 12:04 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
The second point maybe but VWs resale value is #1 in North. America, higher than both Toyota and Honda.

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewsAndReview...ctedTabIndex=2
Old 11-26-08, 11:02 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
the 3.6 vr6 sounds amazing, i much prefer it over the is350 tl and g35/37. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RD47wfTw68
Yikes that sounds like a Civic fart can to me
Old 11-26-08, 11:08 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Indeed...

I much prefer the sound of IS350 with F-sport instake/exhaust or G35/37's "simulated V8 exhaust note".
Old 11-26-08, 03:49 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That car has obviously has had it's exhaust modified. I've driven the 3.6 in the regular Passat and it's a beast. Torque down low, high RPM kick where it screams like a kitten. VW VR6s have always sounded wonderful. The exhaust note is pure German - mildly BMW-like. Not that rice burner corolla/civic disaster.

Originally Posted by speedflex
The CC is a 40K car. It's a separate model and a cut above the garden variety Passat which competes with the CamCordAlti. But I agree that even in that match up the Passat has a higher level of luxury.
The CC starts at around $27K. Remember the Passat (since 2006), has had the top tier 3.6 VR6 model that is priced the same as this car, while having the low cost 2.0T models in the twenties. That 3.6 model has had this same general interior, with real wood, excellent leahter, etc. So even the regular Passat has always been a $40 car. For 2009 the Passat is only available with the 2.0T, and the value model is gone. VW sold little of the top tier model (the rarity alone makes it classic to me).

Quick Reply: #1 G37S vs. #2 CC VR6 4Motion vs. #3 TL SH-AWD