Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Venza Fighter Spied

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 07:18 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolute fail!!!
Old 05-29-09, 08:03 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry Honda but I don't see the point of this car, first of it looks fugly, neither did I see the point of the X6 and CLS but don't get me wrong those looks much better than that but they don't post big numbers so why would you.
Old 05-29-09, 08:06 AM
LexFather

How they manage to get uglier is beyond me. This is what I said earlier the Honda version of the Acura ZDX swine flu thing. Don't worry though, sheep are rejoicing worldwide With the sloping roof, this is basically another X6 knock-off.

I don't understand the purpose of these things. THey don't handle like cars, they don't look good either and they don't have 1/2 the utility of a wagon or SUV. They make kids cry and the Pope himself said thing things should be sent back to hell where they came from. I thought I understood them but now, I'm back to not understanding them. On top of that sales figures are dismal for them all, so its not like this is a new hot selling market.

What the hell am I missing here? EX, X6, thing thing, ZDX swine flu, wtf is the point? Am I not "hip" and cool anymore?

The Venza might have a Predetor grill but it's useful and looks good from some angles. Its not pretending to be something it isn't.

Mazda 5 anyone?

Last edited by LexFather; 05-29-09 at 08:20 AM.

Old 05-29-09, 08:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now we have the answer. It will be called "CrossTour"

Details emerge on Honda’s Accord-based Crosstour

Posted By Chris Doane On May29 @ 11:25 am In Crossover, Honda News, Wagon | 2 Comments

Not wanting to let Toyota steal all the limelight with its all-new Venza, Honda is preparing to launch a new CUV based on the Accord. Called the Crosstour, a series of early spy photos released elsewhere this morning have incited a full-boil debate among Honda enthusiasts as to whether the Crosstour shares its platform with the upcoming Acura ZDX. The answer? Nope.

While the current economic climate may seem ripe for rebadging, that won’t be the case with Honda’s new CUV duo.

The 2010 Honda Crosstour will be riding on a modified version of the Honda Accord chassis. This should come as no surprise as months and months of rumors of an “Accord-based” CUV have circulated the Internet. What most fans of Honda may not have guessed is that the 2010 Acura ZDX crossover will be riding on the chassis used by the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot.

Baring any delays, production of the Crosstour is currently slated to start in September at Honda’s East Liberty, Ohio, plant. The ZDX should start rolling down the line at the Alliston, Ontario, plant in August.

Spy photos depict a mule
At first glance, the vehicle in our spy photos may look like nothing more than the European Honda Accord Tourer. Closer inspection reveals that is not the case. For starters, a U.S. market Honda Accord front end has been grafted onto the body. The production Crosstour will likely feature a similar snout, but it won’t be quite identical to the Accord’s.

We can also see fender flares that have been tacked onto the body and covered with tape that matches the color of the paint. These flares indicate that the wheel track has been widened slightly. Looking directly behind the rear doors, it quickly becomes apparent that a few extra inches of sheet metal and glass have been added to the body, suggesting the final product will be a few inches longer than the current European Accord Tourer. This development vehicle is also riding higher than a standard Accord Tourer and actually resembles and Audi allroad in person.

The production car will lose the wagon-like tail and instead feature a long, sloping hatchback more akin to the Toyota Prius. A long rear overhangand bulging bumper on the production car will seem at odds with the more restrained nose.

The Crosstour will slot in-between CR-V and Pilot and will look to do battle with Toyota’s new Venza CUV.

Powertrains are not yet known, but the motors currently found in the North American Accord seem like a safe bet. We observed this mule testing alongside an Acura RDX and we also noted this mule accelerated rather briskly, so the 2.3-liter, four-cylinder turbo motor from the RDX may have a chance of making it into the Accord CUV.

One thing we can say for sure about this vehicle is that AWD will be an option. A close look at this prototype reveals that it has a rear differential. More than likely, this means the car has Honda’s VTM-4 AWD system.
Old 05-29-09, 08:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

This side profile is absolutely brutal

Also notice that there is a Venza in one of the other pics on the previous page. I wonder if that was a coincidence, or if it was being used for comparison testing.
Old 05-29-09, 09:01 AM
Koma

Should've just brought the Euro Accord tourer over.
Old 05-29-09, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
Should've just brought the Euro Accord tourer over.
Very good point but its too much of a "wagon" so they'd rather invest money in not one but two X6 knock-offs.
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This side profile is absolutely brutal

Also notice that there is a Venza in one of the other pics on the previous page. I wonder if that was a coincidence, or if it was being used for comparison testing.
Thanks for the info. So this is a raised Accord thing and the ZDX swine flu is a MDX thing but they call it a coupe. WTF?

Old 05-29-09, 09:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's ugly.

But at least the rear looks better than the Panamera...
Old 05-29-09, 12:17 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That CrossTour is ugly
Old 05-29-09, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good point but its too much of a "wagon"

Not for me, it isn't. I like space efficiency inside and room to carry things. And, yes, AWD too.

For too long, Subaru has virtually owned this type of vehicle....small-to-medium-sized AWD wagons. Not that I dislike Subarus (obviously, I don't), but I'm glad to see Toyota and Honda give it some competition......competition, IMO, never hurts. The Audi All-road and Volvo XC-70, of course, are too expensive, and don't really compete in this class. The Ford Freestyle does, more or less, but it is rather large, and going out of production.
Old 05-29-09, 02:57 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

These monstrocities (Venza, Honda's copy) hurt my eyes. Why do Americans demand this garbage? There is such disdain for wagons for some reason that Toyota is forced to create what is essentially a Camry wagon, and prop it up on 20" wheels to make it look like an SUV. Give me a break, or better yet, give me a real honest to god wagon that sill has the capabilities of driving like it isn't on stilts. What happened to the days of the proper Accord and Camry wagons of the 90s? Honda has it in Europe, yet Americans want oversized, overstyled, ugly monsters.
Old 05-29-09, 05:34 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats got to be a Honda/Acura, nothing else has that much front/rear overhang.
Old 05-29-09, 05:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Oh my, an even uglier X6.
Old 05-29-09, 11:03 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda is no worse than a lot of other manufacturers on the cheapness of their materials, and better than many of them. Part of it is, as you note, cost-cutting, but part is the need to get vehicle weight down to comply with ever-tightening gas mileage/emission rules.

The new Honda CR-V, for instance, has some of the best materials and fit-finish I've ever seen on that class of vehicle, though its overall styling is rather quirky. Feel how solid the outside mirror housings are, for example (a weak point in many domestic cars), and how smooth/slick they swivel and lock into place. This jewel-like assembly is typical for Honda.
Honda's paradise compared to GM and Chrysler IMO. FKL is a VW fanboy - pure and simple. Don't get me wrong, I love how VW executes their interiors but the Germans and French still make flimsy interior pieces and shoddy electronics. BMW and Mercedes cupholders/storage compartment covers/hinges break all the time, and electrical gremlins are a fact of life on European cars - even with Denso electronics Jaguar and Land Rover still had electrical issues.
Old 05-30-09, 03:03 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Spare me the diatribe, nthach, I'll comment on the fit and finish of the Hondas I have in any manner I like. You can conveniently write off facts that disparage your perceptions by acting like a complete moron calling other users "fanboys", but that displays more about you, right? Utterly pathetic.

Quick Reply: Honda Venza Fighter Spied