Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: POLL TIME!! Which one?
BMW M6
5.56%
Jag XKR
11.11%
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
77.78%
Other
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

BMW M6 v. Aston Martin Vantage v. Jaguar XKR

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 08:56 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default BMW M6 v. Aston Martin Vantage v. Jaguar XKR

I am thinking about whether to replace my Mercedes with something a little more rare and powerful.

The ease of service and maintenance is important but not my top priority, as the car's simply going to be a weekend or rare occasion driver.

Thus far, I have narrowed down to these choices. I have also thought about the Bentley Continental GT and Maserati Grand Tourismo but decided not to consider them for reasons. Exotics such as Ferrari and Lotus are not really practical to me, as they are way too stiff for me.

Could anyone chime in as to how these cars stack up against one another? I love the exhaust note on the M6 but at the same time, the image of the Aston is simply exquisite. The Jaguar XKR is quite nice, as it has similar look to the Aston and unlike the Aston and M6, I may be able to buy it as a brand new car.

I would love to own one of these cars in the form of hardtop convertible, just like the SC430. But I guess thus far, I am still out of luck.

Any thoughts from fellow CLers? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Old 11-23-08, 09:02 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aston is in a league of its own
do all 3 of those have a similar cost?
i'd go for the aston, just because of the name
Old 11-23-08, 09:05 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks!

Actually the Aston is a bit more expensive than the other two at around $120k-$130k or so. If I go with the Aston or the M6, I probably will go for a 1-2 year old pre-owned model just to avoid the hit on the depreciation.

Jon
Old 11-23-08, 09:09 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

nice taste in cars!!

wish i had a high paying job right now. so what is your occupation??
Old 11-23-08, 09:13 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

i just got back from palm desert and took my camera to the aston dealer. astons imo are just such amazing cars from the inside out that even though they arent the fastest id take one over a ferrari any day of the week
Old 11-23-08, 09:15 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the Astron if I could afford it and I would pick a Mercedes cl63 or cl65 over that m6, just my opinion lol
Old 11-23-08, 09:15 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your kind words.

I am a lawyer and just like a lot of us, I am also suffering from the poor economy.

But, if there's any consolation at least the used car market (perhaps even the new car one) is now a more friendly arena than what it used to be.

I'd love to have a newer Mercedes but I was hoping to have something more rare but not super expensive.

I'll start doing more research on the Aston then. Thanks again!

Jon

Originally Posted by ssmoked
nice taste in cars!!

wish i had a high paying job right now. so what is your occupation??

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 11-23-08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 10:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Of your choices I would go with a Aston Martin Vantage, that is the DB9 right? It has a beautiful look and interior and is a great driver. My friend rode in his friends brand new AMV8 to Philly a couple months ago and was raving how much he loved the car and what a great sound and ride it had with such a nice interior, nothing else out there is like a Aston Martin. I would also get a slightly used one to avoid some of the initial depreciation and save a bit.
Old 11-23-08, 10:09 PM
LexFather

The Aston it seems is better for being an Aston, more rare. Are you looking at new models? The new Vantage has more power.

The XKR seems to match it for less money, with less prestige. Both look great.

The M6 would be my last choice. The interior does not say 100k, the looks are something to love or hate and it hasn't come close to winning any reviews (surely, it is still a superb car).

Aston wins for being an Aston. But the good money goes to the XKR.

Wonderful vid of the XKR vs Aston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9QTNe8X3Z4

Looks good in yellow too!

Last edited by LexFather; 11-23-08 at 10:15 PM.

Old 11-23-08, 10:11 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
Of your choices I would go with a Aston Martin Vantage, that is the DB9 right?
no the DB9 and the v8 vantage are two different cars. the db9 has a v12 i believe
Old 11-23-08, 10:18 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks again guys!

Yes. The Vantage is the so-called baby Aston, it's the Gallardo of the Aston Martin family and therefore, it's more within my reach.

Correct me if I am wrong Mike. For the Aston Martin I think I'll consider the more powerful version, as they didn't make an automatic transmission for the earlier model?

The M6 has an awesome motor/exhaust note though. I had a chance to did a quick run with a gentleman in a M6 with my SC430 once, the M6's sound was simply intoxicating. Of course, as quick as the SC430 may be, compare to the M6 the speed factor was a no contest.

Jon
Old 11-23-08, 10:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Thanks again guys!

Yes. The Vantage is the so-called baby Aston, it's the Gallardo of the Aston Martin family and therefore, it's more within my reach.

Correct me if I am wrong Mike. For the Aston Martin I think I'll consider the more powerful version, as they didn't make an automatic transmission for the earlier model?

The M6 has an awesome motor/exhaust note though. I had a chance to did a quick run with a gentleman in a M6 with my SC430 once, the M6's sound was simply intoxicating. Of course, as quick as the SC430 may be, compare to the M6 the speed factor was a no contest.

Jon
Yes, but the baby seems to be the most fun Aston. It has the same displacement as an older Lexus GS 4.3 liters, but makes 380hp. The chassis is based off the DB9 so the reviewers would have liked some more power. THis came to be this year with the N400 edition, it gets 400hp and some other upgrades.

http://www.supercarnews.net/2008-ast...8-vantage-n400

Also remember the ASton is a 2 seater, the other 2 are 4 seaters. The Aston has much tidier dimensions too, the XKR and M6 are more GT.

Old 11-24-08, 06:51 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without question, go with the Aston. It is rare, beautiful and will be a lot of fun to drive.

The M6 would be my second choice (of those listed) but I would probably go with an SL63 before the M6 if I could expand the list.

On a side note but somewhat related, I really don't like the new CL550. I think the older CL500's (previous model like your car) are far more attractive. The new one looks a little ackward to me.
Old 11-24-08, 07:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Aston or the XKR, more rare & their styling far superior inside and out.
Old 11-24-08, 07:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The AM is a beautiful machine but has some short comings in this caliber of vehicle..

Ford product (ala the Jag)
Only 380 hp
160 watt stereo
High auto insurance rate

The sister car the Jag XKR is the better bet and offers the same for less..

The M6 is nice but it will be replaced shortly...

I love the Jag XKR! Nothing on the road is as sexy!

Quick Reply: BMW M6 v. Aston Martin Vantage v. Jaguar XKR