Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: POLL TIME!! Which one?
BMW M6
5.56%
Jag XKR
11.11%
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
77.78%
Other
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

BMW M6 v. Aston Martin Vantage v. Jaguar XKR

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 09:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3

The M6 has an awesome motor/exhaust note though. I had a chance to did a quick run with a gentleman in a M6 with my SC430 once, the M6's sound was simply intoxicating. Of course, as quick as the SC430 may be, compare to the M6 the speed factor was a no contest.

Jon
If you think the M6's note is intoxicating, the vantage is even better

Vantage ALL the way if it's about exotic and exclusiveness. M6 and jags are a dime a dozen....you should know that being in CA

I wouldn't even consider the other 2.
Old 11-24-08, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally, AM, gets a lot more points just to be rare
Old 11-24-08, 10:38 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passion says the Aston if you can swing it.

The Jag is odd man out IMO.

The M6 is the smart choice, with apologies to the study hall set. The 6 series is Bimmers most reliable and as I recall the 6 is also at the top of the list for low depreciation. Being replaced shortly is a non event if you are looking at a one or two year old car. More than likely the outgoing model will be better built than the new one.

Not much passion in the 6 series and it isn't my cup of tea. But it's your money, depends which side of your brain is the decision maker.
Old 11-24-08, 11:19 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Aston Martin, No contest

Dont even bother trying to analyze it, its just the best
Old 11-24-08, 11:23 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I'd probably take the Jag. The Aston looks nice, and I'm sure it drives really well, but it just doesn't have the performance I'd want in a car if I was spending that much. The Jag will give you 95% of the performance at 2/3rds of the price.
Old 11-24-08, 11:54 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't consider any of those three. Instead I would get an Alpine White 09 BMW M3 convertible if I were in your situation.
Old 11-24-08, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I wouldn't consider any of those three. Instead I would get an Alpine White 09 BMW M3 convertible if I were in your situation.
haha, sometimes people are just in a different "league"
Old 11-24-08, 01:51 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

There is no substitute for perfection and the Aston will provide that. No, not the fastest of the three, but defiently the rarest and the best looking!
Old 11-24-08, 05:35 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you again everyone!

I had a chance to check out both the BMW and Jaguar models at the LA auto show and must say I have to agree with most of the opinions here.

I first looked at a BMW 650i convertible and was a bit disappointed. Although the sound of BMW’s M motor from my previous encounter with the M6 is appealing, being inside of the 650i was neither more comfortable, nor appealing to me as a driver than the SC430. In real life, I am sure the BMW handles a lot better and is a lot faster on the road than the SC430 but overall, the visual effect just wasn’t there.

I really liked the XKR’s metallic black exterior paint and its interior, they simply look and feel top notch and compare to the Aston Martin, the Jaguar could have passed as a fully loaded model. The only thing that worries me is the fact that a new XF next to it has a glove box that would not stay shut once it’s opened! I hope I won’t have the same issue with the XKR in the near future.

As for the Aston Martin, I have already looked at some manual transmission models in the past few months. I suck at driving stick so I chose not to test drive the car but wow, simply being in the driver’s seat does make one feel special!

In terms of performance and appearance, the new M3 convertible is another great choice (if it's being sold for $50k). But I think its $70k sticker price is a too high for cars from this class. I would have used this money plus a little more for a slightly used Aston Martin Vantage.

Other than the M3, does anyone know the likelihood of any of these cars being made as a hardtop convertible in the future?

I really like the Vantage but at the same time, I may also check out the Audi R8 and the RS5 convertible (I wonder if Audi will ever build one)....

Jon
Old 11-24-08, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Even though nice, the BMW interior alone speaks "mass production" compared to an Aston's feel of passion and craftsmanship in limited numbers.

An Aston would make you a true baller.
Old 11-25-08, 09:26 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not look into the R8 its in ur price range and is more reliable than the aston
Old 11-25-08, 10:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree R8 would be an excellent choice to consider too
Old 11-25-08, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
I am a lawyer and just like a lot of us, I am also suffering from the poor economy.
You sure can't be suffering very much if you're looking at something along these price lines.

Of the three you mention, I'd get the Jag, and ignore the comments about getting the Aston just for the "name". "Image"-buying, IMO, is a poor way to go car-shopping. The M6 would probably handle better and have a crisper driving feel, but the Jag is not only physically beautiful (far more so than the M6), but is likely to have much better dealer service as well.....something Jag excels in.

If you live in a foul-weather area (I don't know what part of CA you are in), I would also look at the Quattro Audi S5 coupe before making a decision, too.
Old 11-25-08, 11:50 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just sold my CL500 maybe less than a month ago. Trust me you don’t want go down in luxury or prestige. I end up getting a CLS, which is a beautiful car but the interior is not on par with a MB CL so I have some regrets already. Out of the three cars you mention I would either go for the AM or Jag. The M6 interior is not going to satisfy you. Honestly if I was in your position, I would wait until the end of Dec or early January to purchase a car. The deals are going to be great but I wanted a new ride for Christmas and couldn’t wait. Don’t waste your time with a A5 it’s obvious you’re looking for a little more prestige.

Here is the url to the top 10 most beautiful cars for 2009
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r_2009_feature

Last edited by rogers2; 11-26-08 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-25-08, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You sure can't be suffering very much if you're looking at something along these price lines.

Of the three you mention, I'd get the Jag, and ignore the comments about getting the Aston just for the "name". "Image"-buying, IMO, is a poor way to go car-shopping. The M6 would probably handle better and have a crisper driving feel, but the Jag is not only physically beautiful (far more so than the M6), but is likely to have much better dealer service as well.....something Jag excels in.

If you live in a foul-weather area (I don't know what part of CA you are in), I would also look at the Quattro Audi S5 coupe before making a decision, too.
lol if he was able to consider the DBS but now have to "downgrade" to vantage, it's suffering i suppose, lol

anyway, R8 is another great choice imho. but to me the kicker is the wait list, it's so damn long

Quick Reply: BMW M6 v. Aston Martin Vantage v. Jaguar XKR