Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Source Interlink kills Sport Compact Car, laying off 115 employees

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Red face Source Interlink kills Sport Compact Car, laying off 115 employees

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/21/s...laying-off-115

We just got off the phone with one of our sources inside the Source Interlink monolith who informed us that some of Sport Compact Car's staff was laid off yesterday and that the February issue may be the last SCC you'll find on newsstands. The death of SCC follows Source Interlink's execution of Turbo earlier this year, and reports suggest that 115 employees inside the company have been given the boot and more titles could be axed in the future.

Sport Compact Car was the go-to title for gearheads obsessed with small displacement engines, forced induction, number crunching and the black arts of ECU and suspension tuning, with a dedicated focus on down-and-dirty tech, unique reviews, stellar writing and going fast on a budget. Both the page count and circulation numbers have dropped over the last five years, although according to our sources, ad revenue was up and distribution was holding steady.

On a personal note, SCC was the magazine that got this scribe hooked on driving and the finer points of air-to-fuel ratios, provided me with my first freelance gig and inspired me – primarily through the writings of Dave Coleman, Josh Jacquot, Mike Kojima, Andy Hope, James Tate, John Pearley Huffman and Jared Holstein, among many others – to pursue my dream of writing about cars. SCC will be sorely missed and the world is truly a worse place without it.

Hit the jump to see a list of everyone who has made Sport Compact Car possible over the last two decades.

UPDATE: We've gotten word that Truck Trend has also been canned. According to our commentators on the inside of Truck Trend, the mag hasn't been cancelled -- it's being "restructured."

Old 11-22-08, 09:05 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Wasn't that about the time that Greg Brown left ?
Old 11-22-08, 09:33 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn. I like Turbo and SCC
Old 11-22-08, 09:43 AM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I really, really hope this is some kind of joke, first one of my favorite sports car mags is gone, sports car international, now I just heard about turbo, which is my second fav import mag, but sport compact car is the king!!, I just love this magazine, reading old issues all the time, I have issues back to 1997, and have 95% of the issues from 2000-2008. I just picked up the recent issue, featuring how to get invoved in autocross, and makeovers of a NSX and civic. Also they just had the ultimate street car issue, and just celabrated 20 years. The tech is top notch, the featured cars are great, and they throw in some humor. It fuels my passion for import cars, and the first place I ever heard of the toyota altezza/Lexus IS300, which I have now, and bought me to CL. I love the internet, but I really love car magazines and to see them die off, is very sad and the only good import/compact title left is modified. I really hope sport compact car can be saved.
Old 11-22-08, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I really, really hope this is some kind of joke, first one of my favorite sports car mags is gone, sports car international, now I just heard about turbo, which is my second fav import mag, but sport compact car is the king!!, I just love this magazine, reading old issues all the time, I have issues back to 1997, and have 95% of the issues from 2000-2008. I just picked up the recent issue, featuring how to get invoved in autocross, and makeovers of a NSX and civic. Also they just had the ultimate street car issue, and just celabrated 20 years. The tech is top notch, the featured cars are great, and they throw in some humor. It fuels my passion for import cars, and the first place I ever heard of the toyota altezza/Lexus IS300, which I have now, and bought me to CL. I love the internet, but I really love car magazines and to see them die off, is very sad and the only good import/compact title left is modified. I really hope sport compact car can be saved.
I used to buy it when I used to like Hondas/Integras in the 1990s....when I turned about 20..I stopped. It was a very good mad.

I am still sad about SCI

Old 11-22-08, 11:02 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I am too cheap to subscribe to or buy this magazine, but I would check it out from time to time while shopping in CVS or Ralph. It might survive longer if more good looking ladies posted inside the mag.
Old 11-22-08, 11:28 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I am too cheap to subscribe to or buy this magazine, but I would check it out from time to time while shopping in CVS or Ralph. It might survive longer if more good looking ladies posted inside the mag.
but that's the point.

this mag was so great even w/o so many ladies gracing it's pages
Old 11-22-08, 01:25 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have much rather seen import tuner die than SCC.
Old 11-23-08, 08:42 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

that sucks I grew up on Turbo and SCC. All the other mags were just pin up models, SCC was more tech.

So are there any good compact tuner mags now, I think Modified and SuperStreet got the axe a few yrs ago?
Old 11-23-08, 09:16 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I remember when I started getting and reading Sport Compact Car, Turbo, Import Tuner around 1998 and thought it was great they had magazines dedicated to tuning and modifying mostly Japanese imports, I normally just read the normal car mags like C&D,R&T, SCI, Automobile, etc. That is when I really started realizing how tunable the Supra Turbo is and they had a bunch of articles on the GS400 which eventually led me to buying a GS430. They had great articles on RX-7, 300ZXtt, 3000GT and information on the great cars we did not get like Skylines, FTO, EVO, STI. After reading those mags and all they did with Eclipses I was looking forward to making my Eclipse faster but so many things started going wrong on the car I had to spend the money just to repair it and keep it running and felt if it is so unreliable now it is going to be really bad when I start adding aftermarket performance parts.
Old 11-23-08, 10:49 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

damn Sport Compact Car had some really good articles.
Old 11-23-08, 10:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

thats messed up. I just sent them a check for 30 bucks for a 2 year subscription 5 days ago. Thats ****ty
Old 11-23-08, 10:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
I would have much rather seen import tuner die than SCC.
import tuner is for teenagers. I have to agree with you.
Old 11-23-08, 11:41 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was fortunate enough to by the first issue of Sport Compact Car. I forgot when that was though. Anyway, since that first issue I once had collected every single issue for about 5 years. Unfortunately, it got too hard to store them all so I threw it all away. I haven't bought an Import tuning magazine in a while though since the internet pretty much has taken over.
Old 11-24-08, 12:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I used to pick up SCC and Turbo for my cousins when I lived in Mexico. They really enjoyed those magazines.

Quick Reply: Source Interlink kills Sport Compact Car, laying off 115 employees