Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera (Official Pics added + VIDEO + 9ff's Modified version)

Old 11-21-08, 05:42 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Porsche Panamera (Official Pics added + VIDEO + 9ff's Modified version)

According to AutoTelegraaf, the image above is the first official picture of the Porsche Panamera, showing the new four-door "coupe" in all its oddly proportioned glory. The Dutch pub released the image and details on the sedan after Auto Motor und Sport supposedly broke the Monday embargo. More details will be released late Sunday night, but in the meantime, let's look at the reported specs.

The Porsche Panamera Gran Turismo is 16.3 feet long, 6.3 feet wide and 4.66 feet tall, with a wheelbase of 9.6 feet. Weight hasn't been disclosed, but its roughly two tons. The most striking detail on the profile shot is the indentations leading from the front fenders, aft of the wheels, into the doors, but the jury is still out on the Panamera's bulbous back end. The slippery shape and low profile gives the sedan a drag coefficient of 0.29, while an electronically actuated rear spoiler will keep things planted at speed.
Old 11-21-08, 05:49 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Yuuuck!......
Old 11-21-08, 06:08 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an elongated 911
Old 11-21-08, 06:09 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yuck....what an eyesore!

Honestly, Porsche has the entire world fooled. They make some of the world's ugliest cars (minus Carrera GT) and people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for them.

Don't get me wrong - I'd take a 911T in a heartbeat. I love the car and even the design has grown on me. But it shouldn't have to 'grow' when it could be naturally beautiful.....which it isn't.
Old 11-21-08, 06:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Slippery shape and low profile? Really? There is something that doesn't sound exactly right with this press release giving dimensions in feet unless the OP converted them. But at 56 inches tall, I don't know exactly where the low profile comment comes from. Don't misunderstand me, as the owner and proprieter of a genuine bad back it might be very appealing to me but I am getting really tired of all the "leaks" and just want to see thing for myself.
Old 11-21-08, 08:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see this lasting for too long...
Old 11-21-08, 08:58 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

yep, this car had so much potential, but they killed it
Old 11-21-08, 09:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

A $100,000.00 family station wagon. What was Porsche thinking with the design of this car, why did it take so long to bring out a mundane big Ford Taurus looking station? Unfortunately taking the camo off of it did not help it at all. It looks like something you would buy to run out and get groceries with not a $100K+ high performance Porsche sedan. Sure it is going to sell to Porsche badge snobs just because it is a Porsche and will get a few doctors wives as the hot errand/kid transport vehicle but enthusiasts are going to lose a little more respect for Porsche releasing this. How hard is it to design a sleek looking sedan and not totally screw it up, especially with Porsche behind it. I am hoping the coupe version will look much better but knowing Porsche it will just be some 2 door fastback/hatchback looking thing with no graceful lines.
Old 11-22-08, 07:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As i stated in the other Panamera thread, this is a modern take on the hearse. I'm convinced of it.
Old 11-22-08, 08:58 AM
LexFather

According to AutoTelegraaf, the image above is the first official picture of the Porsche Panamera, showing the new four-door "coupe" in all its oddly proportioned glory. The Dutch pub released the image and details on the sedan after Auto Motor und Sport supposedly broke the Monday embargo. More details will be released late Sunday night, but in the meantime, let's look at the reported specs.

The Porsche Panamera Gran Turismo is 16.3 feet long, 6.3 feet wide and 4.66 feet tall, with a wheelbase of 9.6 feet. Weight hasn't been disclosed, but its roughly two tons. The most striking detail on the profile shot is the indentations leading from the front fenders, aft of the wheels, into the doors, but the jury is still out on the Panamera's bulbous back end. The slippery shape and low profile gives the sedan a drag coefficient of 0.29, while an electronically actuated rear spoiler will keep things planted at speed.

An electronic air suspension is part of the package, along with an LSD, and power can be sent to either the rear wheels, or all four, depending on the trim level. Motivation will be provided by a range of engines, beginning with 3.6-liter V6 putting out 300 hp, and continuing upwards with the 400 hp, 4.8-liter V8 Panamera S and the Panamera Turbo, packing a twin-turbocharged version of the same bent eight putting out an estimated 500 hp. Power will be sent to Porsche's new PDK dual-clutch gearbox and although a diesel model has been ruled out, a V6-hybrid variant with 350 hp will come along at a later date.

Porsche aims to sell approximately 20,000 units of the Panamera each year, with the automaker estimating that 20% will be the range-topping Turbo model. The Panamera will only be available in S and Turbo guises at launch, with the V6 model following shortly thereafter. Once established, Porsche hopes demand will increase to 50,000 units annually, with sales beginning in the U.S., Europe and Asia next year. Thanks for the tip, Jelle!

Old 11-22-08, 09:13 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

um... i think i'll just throw a cayenne on UAS.

kthxbai!

c.
Old 11-22-08, 09:25 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsches must be driven to appreciate their design theory form follows function

I never think of any Porsche as the most beautiful car on the road but when you drive it...
Old 11-22-08, 09:30 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

looks like a longer version of the new cayman
Old 11-22-08, 10:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Porsches must be driven to appreciate their design theory form follows function

I never think of any Porsche as the most beautiful car on the road but when you drive it...
I tend to agree...BUT Porsche has carved out a niche in the market which makes their design appreciated and loved by many- historically all of their sports cars have shared common profiles and design cues so a Porsche is just...a Porsche. The Cayenne was a big step out of that history and for the most part it has been a success. The aura of a Porsche tends to follow models with a lineage but whenever you try something new it is often subject to great criticism.

The Panamera is all wrong IMO, no matter how it drives. They tried to follow the same design language as all previous Porsches but apply it to something that is as big as an LS 460. If I took a Miata and stretched it out to the size of a Crown Vic, that too would look just as awkward. They clearly thought that they had a winning design theme, no matter how big the canvas was and this has made clear that the signature Porsche rear end does not work on anything larger than a 911. The Cayenne succeeds because it is a completely different beast with a completely different shape, but with some Porsche design cues that bring in the family heritage. This Panamera...they tried too hard to make it look like a car that's half it's size, so it's no wonder that it looks this awkward.
Old 11-22-08, 10:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

There's supposed to be a 2-door version of the Panamera which will also be the equivalent of a new Porsche 928 GT right ?
I think that's the car that I will be more interested in. I am always a fan of the old 928's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera (Official Pics added + VIDEO + 9ff's Modified version)