Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 11:47 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?

In a nutshell, the great news is that my wife and I just found out that were will be having twins. Yes, you read that right, twins. These will be our first children, maybe our last, and of course we are considering all kinds of things from getting a new place to what sitter service to go with.

In all these decisions, is the issue with our car. All of a sudden, after looking at double strollers and having to buy two of everything, car seats, etc, the trunk of the GS does not seem to cut it anymore. Not to mention, no other person (grandmas) can ride with us. So we are considering trading in the GS, which sucks because we just got it. We would keep it and get another car, but it is a waste of money. I use public transportation and look forward to driving the GS on weekends, but it is really my wife’s car.

1) If we do sell/trade the GS, when do you think would be better to do it. Now, because the auto industry is in the crapper and we will get a better deal on the new car, or in May/June when the kids come?

2) What vehicle to get? WE ARE NOT GETTING A MINIVAN. My wife is spoiled, so she needs the following features: rear view camera, parking sensors, navigation, and rear seat entertainment. I know all these things can be added aftermarket, but she wants them dealer installed (one warranty to deal with).

With that, we have considered the following vehicles (new and used):

A. Mercedes Benz GL Class (We would consider the GL450, but I really want the GL550 if I get a GL, but the GL550 is almost too expensive just to say we have the 550. It does look slightly different, which I like).

B. Lexus GX (The GX is a nice size for my wife and it has all the features we are use to because it is a Lexus, but it has been out for 6 years and may get redesigned any minute now). Was really hoping the new RX had the third row.

C. Lexus LX (The LX is really big, but it is a Lexus and has Lexus features, but it is also very expensive).

D. Cadillac Escalade Hybrid (The Escalade is very big, but it has the best gas mileage because it is a hybrid and with Red Tag pricing, can be had for a great deal now).

X. Toyota Highlander Premium Hybrid (This is not even close to the top, but it is equipped like the Lexus in terms of features and is a hybrid, so it is on the list).

Need your help?
Old 11-17-08, 12:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of those choices I would probably go with the Highlander Hybrid. I love the GX but I think the Highlander is a bit more functional and would probably suit a family better. It's the right size, driveable, good looking inside and out, has great features and won't break the bank.

Second to that I'd choose the GX because I love a good ole Body on Frame SUV and few others do it quite as well as the GX.
Old 11-17-08, 12:17 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Looking to trade up as well (we have 2 kids under 5 sooo..)
Originally Posted by Mbenz528i

2) What vehicle to get? WE ARE NOT GETTING A MINIVAN. My wife is spoiled, so she needs the following features: rear view camera, parking sensors, navigation, and rear seat entertainment. I know all these things can be added aftermarket, but she wants them dealer installed (one warranty to deal with).
Too bad, our minivan rocks (Sienna) and I swore I'd never get a minivan, but I love it, been a GREAT car... which leads me to...

A. Mercedes Benz GL Class (We would consider the GL450, but I really want the GL550 if I get a GL, but the GL550 is almost too expensive just to say we have the 550. It does look slightly different, which I like).
Sat in a GL last Thurs... TRUE love, will offer for the wife, and all you need is the 450...

D. Cadillac Escalade Hybrid (The Escalade is very big, but it has the best gas mileage because it is a hybrid and with Red Tag pricing, can be had for a great deal now).
If GM goes bust, who's gonna service it? And the hybrid in NOT worth the premium...

So I'm going to try to convince the Mrs. on the GL, I will be getting an X5 at some point... can't go wrong with the GL, GOOD LUCK and let me know your results!!!
Old 11-17-08, 12:31 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Too bad, our minivan rocks (Sienna) and I swore I'd never get a minivan, but I love it, been a GREAT car... which leads me to...

Sat in a GL last Thurs... TRUE love, will offer for the wife, and all you need is the 450...

If GM goes bust, who's gonna service it? And the hybrid in NOT worth the premium...

So I'm going to try to convince the Mrs. on the GL, I will be getting an X5 at some point... can't go wrong with the GL, GOOD LUCK and let me know your results!!!
I would get a minivan if it meant being able to get my toy on the side, but the fact of the matter is, my wife will have to drive the vehicle to daycare, then to work and then we have to drive it on the weekends and we both do not want that look. Still want to retain a little show.

As for the Escalade going out if GM goes bust, that is a great point, which is why I shy away from the Acadia, Enclave, Outlook, Traverse family.

It is a tough choice, and yes the Highlander is nice, but it is missing something for me.

By the way, you cannot go wrong on the X5. O loved mine!
Old 11-17-08, 12:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a tough choice, and yes the Highlander is nice, but it is missing something for me.
Have you driven the new Highlander yet? Yes it's a "lowly" Toyota among the Mercedes, Cadillacs, and Lexus that you mentioned but it's a very well built, sharp, capable 'ute. The interior on the Limited is pretty killer. I would take a Highlander 4WD Limited over a handfull of other luxury utes- MDX, RDX, X3, ML, Q7, etc.

I like the GL, but really do not like the cold, stark interior enough to buy it. The GX and Highlander would be my two choices.

Additionally, have you thought about the new Land Cruiser? Or Mazda CX-9?
Old 11-17-08, 12:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the double trouble Why not look into the 08/09 X5 3.0. It has more than enough power for mom & kids, space, stability, safety, optional DVD entertainment, third row seat, etc. When the wife & kids step out of the car, it will be your turn to burn. You can sure have a spirited drive in the X5 compared to the others you mentioned heck even better than the GS you have. E70 X5 is a vast improvement over the X5 you had before. Good luck

Old 11-17-08, 12:55 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Ford Flex

Old 11-17-08, 01:12 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

I agree with Dash, if you liked your X5 so much why not consider another?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the updated Highlander Hybrid and would consider one if something happened to my car.
Old 11-17-08, 01:46 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Have you driven the new Highlander yet? Yes it's a "lowly" Toyota among the Mercedes, Cadillacs, and Lexus that you mentioned but it's a very well built, sharp, capable 'ute. The interior on the Limited is pretty killer. I would take a Highlander 4WD Limited over a handfull of other luxury utes- MDX, RDX, X3, ML, Q7, etc.

I like the GL, but really do not like the cold, stark interior enough to buy it. The GX and Highlander would be my two choices.

Additionally, have you thought about the new Land Cruiser? Or Mazda CX-9?
I do like the highlander and the interior is top notch even compared with the pricier Lexus and Benz Suv's. I have not ruled it out, but being honest with myself, I am a bit of a name snob. It is on the list because it is such a capable truck!

You hit the nail on the head with the GL, it is cold on the inside. That is what I could not put my finger on it.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Congrats on the double trouble Why not look into the 08/09 X5 3.0. It has more than enough power for mom & kids, space, stability, safety, optional DVD entertainment, third row seat, etc. When the wife & kids step out of the car, it will be your turn to burn. You can sure have a spirited drive in the X5 compared to the others you mentioned heck even better than the GS you have. E70 X5 is a vast improvement over the X5 you had before. Good luck
Thanks on Congrats! I am very excited. My wife does not want a new X5, me on the other hand, is a different story. Problem is, we test drove the X5 and the biggest problem is the 3rd row does not work for adults. For us, that is where they are going to be because the car seats will take up the second row and then adults who ride will have to be in the back.

Originally Posted by MGS4
Ford Flex
I like the Flex, but my is not a fan. Besides, I would get the Highlander over the Flex.
Old 11-17-08, 03:23 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Escalade or GX/LX (depending which size your wife likes driving/using better)

However, even though the GX is definitely due for redesign, the 'new' one wouldn't be out in time for you anyhow.

Cars and technology: there's always a newer & better one being released 'any minute now' so waiting for the next one will mean you never get to have one at all. Therefore, it's best to concider the options that are actually in front of you if you seriously need to buy something.
Old 11-17-08, 03:34 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go the LX, I had the previous model (Cygnus here in Japan) and it was such a great car.
Old 11-17-08, 03:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Acura MDX? Good driving dynamics for a larger mid size suv, and lots of features. You could pick up an 07 with Sport and DVD packages for close to $30K.
Old 11-17-08, 05:30 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
Escalade or GX/LX (depending which size your wife likes driving/using better)

However, even though the GX is definitely due for redesign, the 'new' one wouldn't be out in time for you anyhow.

Cars and technology: there's always a newer & better one being released 'any minute now' so waiting for the next one will mean you never get to have one at all. Therefore, it's best to concider the options that are actually in front of you if you seriously need to buy something.
Good point on technology and the GX seems more her size, but she has never driven either, only the RX.

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I would go the LX, I had the previous model (Cygnus here in Japan) and it was such a great car.
What about getting the older model LX, as she mentioned that she likes that design better. Are the features outdated?

Originally Posted by pbm317
Acura MDX? Good driving dynamics for a larger mid size suv, and lots of features. You could pick up an 07 with Sport and DVD packages for close to $30K.
I do need to look into the MDX and see she likes it. I for one am a fan, but the choice is really hers. It is very much a good size. Similar to the GX.

When do you guys think would be best to buy, now or in 6 months when the kids are due?
Old 11-17-08, 05:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

If interior size and people hauling is so important than the Sequoia should be on the list.

I would say LX570 but the seats in the rear cannot be removed and it is very tight back there for more that two strollers.
Old 11-17-08, 06:47 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about getting the older model LX, as she mentioned that she likes that design better. Are the features outdated?
No, I wouldn't say they are outdated, of corse the new one has a few extra goodies. I liked it quite a lot and the only reason why I sold was b/c the streets are too narrow around here. I replaced it with the 2005 Celsior (LS 430) and I could not find too many faults with the LX after driving that. Of corse there were a few extras that I would have liked on the LX that was on the Celsior, but it has to be expected that the top of the rang car will have a few extras. If the size of the streets were not a problem I would still have the car.

Quick Reply: Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?