Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?

Old 11-21-08, 09:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rdgdawg makes a couple of good points here - yes, you do pay for that "Lexus experience" in the showroom and the service drive - only you can determine the value of it.

More important is that ROI - look at the retained value of cars you are considering after say, four or five years. Some in these quarters may remember I seriously considered a Chrysler Pacifica when I turned in my RX300, but opted instead for an RX330 for about $3K more, fully loaded. Chrysler Corp's (corpse?) recent troubles aside, the Pacifica has not held up well on the resale market, while the Lexus has done well. It's important to think about how long you will be keeping your next car and look around to see the market experience of similar models. Anyone can be orphaned unexpectedly in the coming years, but past performance is a good indicator of future expectations.
Old 11-21-08, 10:27 AM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a R350 and in my opinion it is the best of that kind of vehicle I had an 07 MDX and the R has more space & is a much better highway cruiser than the MDX, smoother & quieter. I would recomend finding a used R500 you can get incrdible deals on them and the mileage difference is not that bad. I still prefer driving my E500 to the R, but for family trips it works wonderfully.
Old 11-21-08, 11:15 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
rdgdawg makes a couple of good points here - yes, you do pay for that "Lexus experience" in the showroom and the service drive - only you can determine the value of it.

More important is that ROI - look at the retained value of cars you are considering after say, four or five years. Some in these quarters may remember I seriously considered a Chrysler Pacifica when I turned in my RX300, but opted instead for an RX330 for about $3K more, fully loaded. Chrysler Corp's (corpse?) recent troubles aside, the Pacifica has not held up well on the resale market, while the Lexus has done well. It's important to think about how long you will be keeping your next car and look around to see the market experience of similar models. Anyone can be orphaned unexpectedly in the coming years, but past performance is a good indicator of future expectations.

You make a very good point on ROI and certainly I should give more weight to that when considering my next car. Whatever we choose to buy will be used likely for the next 5-6 years with another 5 seat sedan coming in the two years, so I do want to get the most out of it.

Originally Posted by ssigs4
My wife has a R350 and in my opinion it is the best of that kind of vehicle I had an 07 MDX and the R has more space & is a much better highway cruiser than the MDX, smoother & quieter. I would recomend finding a used R500 you can get incrdible deals on them and the mileage difference is not that bad. I still prefer driving my E500 to the R, but for family trips it works wonderfully.
As for the R500, that is the preference as it has more power and a noticeable difference in driving dynamics from the R350. I think if we go the Minivan direction (I know if is techinically a Crossover) we will probably get a loaded R500 as they are only usually about $1K more than their 350 counterparts comparably equiped. If MB does discontune it though, I am sure resale will plumit, as it has taken a beating already from the low demand.
Old 11-21-08, 11:20 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have our 1st baby this year and now I start to think about the minivan... as oppose to "not even considering it" before. My wife does not hate minivan, so it's a big difference here.

I will not get rid of my GS. In fact, I think I will get next generation Odyssey in a few years as we still enjoy our Highlander. I like the idea of a mild modified minivan...
Old 11-21-08, 11:46 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by memasterac
We have our 1st baby this year and now I start to think about the minivan... as oppose to "not even considering it" before. My wife does not hate minivan, so it's a big difference here.

I will not get rid of my GS. In fact, I think I will get next generation Odyssey in a few years as we still enjoy our Highlander. I like the idea of a mild modified minivan...
Between the Highlander and the GS, why do you consider the minivan with only one kid? Is it plans for more kids or is it partially the room in the GS?

I don't think I would be having this dilema if I only had one, but maybe you could shed some light. What is it like for the one child and the GS?