Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

#1 Infiniti G37 Journey vs. #2 Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Arrow #1 Infiniti G37 Journey vs. #2 Acura TL SH-AWD

Conclusion:
Ultimately, though, the 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD couldn't claw its way back from the drubbing given to it by the sheer speed of the 2009 Infiniti G37. It doesn't hurt that the G37 really shrinks around its driver when you want it to and expands when you don't. In this respect, the G37 is the four-door sports car you always wanted, the car that lets you change and grow up without forgetting where you came from.

Edmunds Comparison: Infiniti G37 Journey vs. Acura TL SH-AWD

http://www.edmunds.com/insidel...el..1.*

G37 0-60 in 5.4
Acura TL SH-AWD 0-60 in 6.7

lol at Acura

Old 11-17-08, 11:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow looks like the TL got the beatdown. The TL's nose doesn't help the cause either. I'm actually looking at picking up a 3rd gen TL as my daily. I've looked at the 1st gen G35's but they don't impress me.
Old 11-17-08, 11:11 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not going to change the fact that the G is faster than the TL, but why are they comparing a rear drive G to an AWD TL but not a G37X to the SH-AWD TL ?
Old 11-17-08, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wmb0000
I know this is not going to change the fact that the G is faster than the TL, but why are they comparing a rear drive G to an AWD TL but not a G37X to the SH-AWD TL ?
B/C the TL would probably have gotten beat down even more. Read the comments about the SH-AWD. It wasn't even an advantage as it should have been.

Quote, originally posted by edmunds »
Acceleration Comments: The SH-AWD system doesn't quite know what to do when the driver whacks the throttle from a stop. There seems to be a moment of thinking before progress begins in earnest.

Quote, originally posted by edmunds »
Handling Comments: Plenty of grip and excellent turn-in, but back-and-forth transitions seemed to be too much for AWD system to sort out. It was difficult to find a rhythm and each cone was its own "event" to be tackled by the driver.

During the TL's best slalom run of 67.8 mph, we observed that this maneuver highlighted some lag in the all-wheel-drive system's ability to react to sudden maneuvers.

Old 11-17-08, 11:18 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

lol super handling AWD my ****

more like super retarded
Old 11-17-08, 11:21 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a long-time Honda/Acura supporter it was truly sad to see this.

Gotta give credit when credit is due, G37 is currently the best value in the entry lux segment, hands down. That title used to belong to the TL, not anymore I am afraid...
Old 11-17-08, 12:07 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I got give it to the G37 it does look good and the peformance is excellent. But that interior is still behind Acura. Also from my understand of the review most drivers will never experience the lag the TL has anyway.

Man the TL exterior is terrible.
Old 11-17-08, 12:14 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

G37 rims = Too bad they don't have the vomit smiley face on here.
Old 11-17-08, 12:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
G37 rims = Too bad they don't have the vomit smiley face on here.
Not a fan of the G37 rims myself. But then the Acura's aren't that pretty either and it has a body which makes me feel the same way. I think the G is more handsome and now it gangsta slaps the TL in the performance arena too.

But wait. Didn't Edmunds declare the new TL to be the new sports sedan king of the hill in an earlier article?
Old 11-17-08, 12:27 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Not a fan of the G37 rims myself. But then the Acura's aren't that pretty either and it has a body which makes me feel the same way. I think the G is more handsome and now it gangsta slaps the TL in the performance arena too.

But wait. Didn't Edmunds declare the new TL to be the new sports sedan king of the hill in an earlier article?
I really like the G35 Sport rims...much better than the new ones.
Old 11-17-08, 12:38 PM
LexFather

speedflex, that article was Honda backed. They brought a pre-production TL SHAHWD manual and brought the competition. I also wish they just slap the coupe wheels on the G37.

G37 really extends its case above the G35 sedan as the best value in class and ARGUEABLY for ALL cars. You get a LOT of car for 35k, let alone the usual lease deal!

Its sad to think the flagship RL, the new TL and the sub entry level TSX all get 0-60 in about the same time. Sad.

Old 11-17-08, 12:49 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Rims?

Who keeps stock wheels these days?

Infiniti/Nissan has delivered the good on being a "performance oriented drivers brand". They deserve their props.
Old 11-17-08, 01:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Not really a fan of the 1st gen G35, but this G37 sedan looks MUCH more upscale than the previous gen AND this TL. Now if I could only get use to the G's exhaust...*sigh*
Old 11-17-08, 01:17 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Not really a fan of the 1st gen G35, but this G37 sedan looks MUCH more upscale than the previous gen AND this TL. Now if I could only get use to the G's exhaust...*sigh*
theres no perfect car, my friend.
Old 11-17-08, 01:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Straight from the article:

Originally Posted by Edmunds
Infiniti makes an all-wheel-drive version of the G37, an all-season sedan that would appear to be the logical counterpoint to the all-wheel-drive Acura TL SH-AWD. But if you're talking pure performance, the honor goes to the 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey, the baddest G sedan in the land. And if you're choosing a pure sport sedan, this is the one you'd pick.

To wit, consider that the Journey is the only G37 sedan that can be had with the Sport package, which arms it with some serious hardware — summer tires and 18-inch wheels, a limited-slip differential, shift paddles for the transmission, bigger brakes, quicker steering and tauter suspension underpinnings.
The other reason is that the TL SH-AWD is the sportier TL model. So fair is fair, Edmunds is comparing the sportiest models of each vehicle.

I'm not a huge fan of the Infiniti G, but I must admit the new G37 sedan is a REALLY tempting and strong offering from Infiniti. Hands down, it is now the value leader in the segment, what the TL used to be.

328HP, 7-speed automatic, a large roomy interior, and plenty of standard features all for starting MSRP of 33K. TL starting MSRP is 35K. Yes the TL may have a bit more standard features, but the problem is 35K is starting MSRP for the FWD TL, NOT the SH-AWD. The FWD TL simply cannot match the handling or fun-factor of the G37. SH-AWD model has starting MSRP of 38K.

The G37's combination of fun factor, performance and handling, practicality everyday usability simply cannot be beat right now. Reliability seems to be pretty decent so far on the current-gen G, and it remains to be seen what reliability will be on the TL, especially given some of the SH-AWD problems that the RL has had.

The new TL really is an answer to a question nobody asked. Acura claims the new TL delivers what current TL owners wanted, but many current owners will refuse to get this new TL based on styling alone. On top of that, A LOT of Acura owners buy Acuras based primarily on value, and Acura's brand loyalty is not industry-leading. With the TL no longer being the value leader, and with the styling at best drawing very mixed reactions and opinions, Acura really did a poor job with this.

If next-gen RL really does come out with RWD and a V8, the question is will Acura even have enough brand recognition or reputation to sell it for over 50K.

Quick Reply: #1 Infiniti G37 Journey vs. #2 Acura TL SH-AWD