Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 quickest street cars tested locked b/c it turned into a GT-R pissing match

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 12:28 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Really? REALLY?

I mean, the GTR is a great car, but you really prefer it to the Enzo, Bugatti and almighty McLaren?
Yes. It is the cheapest one among these ten and the only Japanese car there. I love its look, its reachable price, its relatively smaller engine displacement, its practicality and its history since R32 Skyline GTR . Most importantly, it is the only V6 car.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 11-14-08 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 12:58 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow saleen defeated by a datsun?
Old 11-14-08, 12:23 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I would certainly go with the GTB if I had to drive it every day, but when it comes to my heart, give me the ENZO!
Old 11-15-08, 03:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

1 of everything....
Old 11-15-08, 03:37 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Yes. It is the cheapest one among these ten and the only Japanese car there. I love its look, its reachable price, its relatively smaller engine displacement, its practicality and its history since R32 Skyline GTR . Most importantly, it is the only V6 car.

How is being Japanese a virtue in and of itself? Of course there are some great Japanese cars, but I'd take a Ferrari F430 over a Corolla any day. Liking a car because it came from a specific country is pretty juvenile in my opinion

And what does reachable price have to do with it? We're fanasizing about supercars here

Since when is small displacement or being a V6 a GOOD thing? Putting a small displacement engine in a car is usually done to keep the weight down. The problem is the GTR is the heaviest car on this list apart from the Bugatti

Not trying to flame or anything, but that might be the most illogical post I've ever read. I think the GTR is great, but there is no way I'd take it over some of the greatest cars ever created. Unless of course, I couldn't afford anything better (which I can't), but again, we're fantasizing about supercars here. Open your mind
Old 11-15-08, 03:41 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of factoids on the venerable Bugatti Veyron.

1. It will reach 150 mph 8.3 seconds sooner than a GT-R

2. Four new Michelin PAX pilots tires will cost $25,000.00

3. The windows automatically raise and lock at 93 mph to reduce drag

4. In the same time it takes an Audi S8 to reach 60, the Veyron is at 100 mph

5. At its top speed of 253 MPH, the Veyron will empty its 26.4 gl. gas tank in 19 minutes

6. For the price of just one Bugatti Veyron, you can purchase eight Ferrari F-430's

-DEC08 Car & Driver
Old 11-15-08, 08:42 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

How is being Japanese a virtue in and of itself? Of course there are some great Japanese cars, but I'd take a Ferrari F430 over a Corolla any day. Liking a car because it came from a specific country is pretty juvenile in my opinion

And what does reachable price have to do with it? We're fanasizing about supercars here

Since when is small displacement or being a V6 a GOOD thing? Putting a small displacement engine in a car is usually done to keep the weight down. The problem is the GTR is the heaviest car on this list apart from the Bugatti

Not trying to flame or anything, but that might be the most illogical post I've ever read. I think the GTR is great, but there is no way I'd take it over some of the greatest cars ever created. Unless of course, I couldn't afford anything better (which I can't), but again, we're fantasizing about supercars here. Open your mind

I am not the one who doesn't have the open mind, you are. You simply couldn't accept the fact that someone who would be this stupid to choose a GT-R over a Veyron 16.4? or a mighty McLaren F1? How could that be? Well here is one person. I didn't say GT-R is better than those cars, because I don't know which is better. I said I like GT-R the most among them. GT-R is an amazing machine, it has achieved what those $200k European cars have, with a much smaller engine costing a lot less money. It allows more people to be able to own a super car once in their lifetime, what is not to like about? You ask me is a V6 engine good? Well the answer is yes when this V6 engine is as fast as many V8s and V10s, even it needs forced induction to do so. Being heavy or not, it is as fast as those lighter cars isn't it? That's what counts. As far as being a Japanese car, I inherently prefer Japanese car over cars from other countries, something wrong with it? You see people mesmerizing cars from Germany or Italy and doesn't seem to get offended with it, why so when talking about Japanese car? By the way, I am not a Japanese myself, just to clarify. Also, I didn't say I would pick a Corolla over a F430, but I would pick a GT-R over a F430. Believe me, when I win a $100M lottery there will be one spanking new Nissan GT-R on my driveway in the next few days, not a Ferrari.
When you are talking feeling, there is a little bit of logic in it. I might pick the typical girl next door over that sexy looking super model who happens to be the only daughter of a billionaire, assuming both of them are willing to marry me. Well if you don't understand or disagree with it, so be it. I am asking myself why I spent ten minutes to type this paragraph to defend my own feeling towards anything?
Old 11-15-08, 09:28 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Of course there are some great Japanese cars, but I'd take a Ferrari F430 over a Corolla any day.

Of course there are some great Italian cars, but I'd take a Nissan GT-R over a FIAT Grande Punto any day

Last edited by suislide; 11-16-08 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-15-08, 10:04 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Talking zr-1

11.5 1/4 mile time for the corvette ZR-1 is the slowest time I've seen yet !
The ZR-1 runs consistant 11.2 1/4 mile times . I love the vette as it will easily be the least expensive "super car" to own and will out run all the cars listed on the nuburgring track in germany .

B D HEMI
Old 11-15-08, 11:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ZR1 numbers are wrong. Stock Z06s run 126 traps, I highly doubt an extra 150hp or so will only yield 2mph.

I'd change the title to:
"10 quickest stock street cars according to car and driver tested"

it has achieved what those $200k European cars have
It allows more people to be able to own a super car once in their lifetime
As far as being a Japanese car, I inherently prefer Japanese car over cars from other countries, something wrong with it? You see people mesmerizing cars from Germany or Italy and doesn't seem to get offended with it, why so when talking about Japanese car
Achieved what? The ability to run overhyped times because Nissan cranked the boost up on the test cars? The GTR in the test runs that ran 121-124mph traps was making well over 600hp and obviously had a custom ecu program. The stock cars coming out are running nowhere near those times (I'm seeing the original 115s - which is still pretty fast, but not $70k fast).

The GTR is hardly a supercar. I can do the same thing Nissan engineers did to the GTR. I'll drop in a turbo LS1 into my dead 240sx, toss in some kickass suspension and tires, and then we'll see which one is faster. My point is that a turbo-LS1 240sx has just as much of a claim to a supercar as the GTR does. Being a true supercar also means it has to be much less affordable than other cars. An "affordable supercar" is the very definition of an oxymoron.

We know you prefer a japanese car over cars from other countries. Nothing wrong with that, but you made a statement that you thought the GTR was better BECAUSE it was Japanese. Our point is WE DONT CARE. As long as its fast, cool, looks good, and satisfies etc then its on the "drool list". The GT-R to me is a tuner car. Its a G35/G37/350z body with AWD, a slightly larger motor, and two turbos thrown in. Add some suspension and tires and you have a very fast car. Is it a supercar? Meh not really. The Enzo and the McLaren F1 were built from the ground up with no relation to other models in their lineups and with exclusive powerplants. From the beginning of chassis design, the engineers focused on a particular goal. Nissan engineers bolted a few parts on; I can do that in my backyard or on my best friend's lift. Its not ground-breaking or historic or anything; its something real tunercar fanatics have known for years and years: You can make ANY car fast.

As for selection on this list, I'd take the Enzo or McLaren F1. You can have your V6 engine exhaust note (a honda civic sounds better). I'll take a German or Italian V12 winding up past 8000 rpms; thanks.

Last edited by Bean; 11-15-08 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 04:19 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I am not the one who doesn't have the open mind, you are. You simply couldn't accept the fact that someone who would be this stupid to choose a GT-R over a Veyron 16.4? or a mighty McLaren F1? How could that be? Well here is one person. I didn't say GT-R is better than those cars, because I don't know which is better. I said I like GT-R the most among them. GT-R is an amazing machine, it has achieved what those $200k European cars have, with a much smaller engine costing a lot less money. It allows more people to be able to own a super car once in their lifetime, what is not to like about? You ask me is a V6 engine good? Well the answer is yes when this V6 engine is as fast as many V8s and V10s, even it needs forced induction to do so. Being heavy or not, it is as fast as those lighter cars isn't it? That's what counts. As far as being a Japanese car, I inherently prefer Japanese car over cars from other countries, something wrong with it? You see people mesmerizing cars from Germany or Italy and doesn't seem to get offended with it, why so when talking about Japanese car? By the way, I am not a Japanese myself, just to clarify. Also, I didn't say I would pick a Corolla over a F430, but I would pick a GT-R over a F430. Believe me, when I win a $100M lottery there will be one spanking new Nissan GT-R on my driveway in the next few days, not a Ferrari.
When you are talking feeling, there is a little bit of logic in it. I might pick the typical girl next door over that sexy looking super model who happens to be the only daughter of a billionaire, assuming both of them are willing to marry me. Well if you don't understand or disagree with it, so be it. I am asking myself why I spent ten minutes to type this paragraph to defend my own feeling towards anything?
Well, I don't know how up on current events you are but maybe Nissan should have spent more money in the production of your beloved GT-R. Not only has production been halted (see below) rumors have been running ramped that owners have been grenading transmissions trying to achieve 3.5 0-60 numbers! Last time I checked, that wasn't in anyones definition of a "supercar".......

http://www.eurocarblog.com/post/1329...uction-blocked
Old 11-16-08, 04:28 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
The GTR in the test runs that ran 121-124mph traps was making well over 600hp and obviously had a custom ecu program. The stock cars coming out are running nowhere near those times (I'm seeing the original 115s - which is still pretty fast, but not $70k fast).

The GT-R to me is a tuner car. Its a G35/G37/350z body with AWD, a slightly larger motor, and two turbos thrown in. Add some suspension and tires and you have a very fast car..
-I've seen unmodified GT-Rs at the track run 125 traps at most.

-Tuner car? Yes it is. But then so are Vettes when owners modify in their cars and tune them at the dyno.

-Shares NOTHING w/those cars as it has it's own platform which is called Premium Midship Platform. 350z/G35/G37/M35/M45 all share the Front Midship Platform. There's a reason why it's not considered a Skyline GT-R; shares nothing w/the Skyline coupe/sedan.

The more you know
Old 11-16-08, 04:45 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Well said, and don't we have to set some kind of "criteria" for a car actually attaining the moniker of a "supercar"? I think for starters, a supercar should be rare. Compared to the limited run of just 300 for the Veyron, GM plans on producing 2,000 units a year of the ZR-1 and Nissan plans on producing over 2,400 GT-R's annualy. Hardly limited or rare by any means. Lexus only sent some 4,000 units of the IS-F to the states by comparison.

With the recent mechanical miscues by Nissan and their un-Godzilla like reliability with the GT-R and with GM on the verge of bankruptcy, the GT-R and ZR1 don't make my cut as "supercars". Last time I checked, the Ferrari boys over in Maranello Italy aren't filing for chapter 11 any time soon. Not to mention, the GT-R is produced on the same assembly line as the G37. The GT-R and ZR1 produce earth shattering performance and are no doubt worthy compared to other supercars, but they just don't make my list of exclusivity!

Last edited by 8speed; 11-16-08 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-16-08, 04:59 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

In Miami I see exotics all day long. I've seen a GT-R 4x and a ZR-1 only once. Those 2 cars are rare exotics here compared to " oh another lambo,ferrari, maserati, maybach, bentley,RR, etc" Right now thees a infestation of smart cars lol
Old 11-16-08, 04:59 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
ZR1 numbers are wrong. Stock Z06s run 126 traps, I highly doubt an extra 150hp or so will only yield 2mph.

I'd change the title to:
"10 quickest stock street cars according to car and driver tested"

Achieved what? The ability to run overhyped times because Nissan cranked the boost up on the test cars? The GTR in the test runs that ran 121-124mph traps was making well over 600hp and obviously had a custom ecu program. The stock cars coming out are running nowhere near those times (I'm seeing the original 115s - which is still pretty fast, but not $70k fast).

The GTR is hardly a supercar. I can do the same thing Nissan engineers did to the GTR. I'll drop in a turbo LS1 into my dead 240sx, toss in some kickass suspension and tires, and then we'll see which one is faster. My point is that a turbo-LS1 240sx has just as much of a claim to a supercar as the GTR does. Being a true supercar also means it has to be much less affordable than other cars. An "affordable supercar" is the very definition of an oxymoron.

We know you prefer a japanese car over cars from other countries. Nothing wrong with that, but you made a statement that you thought the GTR was better BECAUSE it was Japanese. Our point is WE DONT CARE. As long as its fast, cool, looks good, and satisfies etc then its on the "drool list". The GT-R to me is a tuner car. Its a G35/G37/350z body with AWD, a slightly larger motor, and two turbos thrown in. Add some suspension and tires and you have a very fast car. Is it a supercar? Meh not really. The Enzo and the McLaren F1 were built from the ground up with no relation to other models in their lineups and with exclusive powerplants. From the beginning of chassis design, the engineers focused on a particular goal. Nissan engineers bolted a few parts on; I can do that in my backyard or on my best friend's lift. Its not ground-breaking or historic or anything; its something real tunercar fanatics have known for years and years: You can make ANY car fast.

As for selection on this list, I'd take the Enzo or McLaren F1. You can have your V6 engine exhaust note (a honda civic sounds better). I'll take a German or Italian V12 winding up past 8000 rpms; thanks.
Nice to see someone else speaking common sense

Quick Reply: 10 quickest street cars tested locked b/c it turned into a GT-R pissing match