Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Obama to get new truck-based Cadillac limo

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 11:03 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Yeah, it would be quite the outrage if the US president drove around in a foreign car. Plus, I can only imagine how much these super armored versions cost (taxpayer money of course). Imagine a super armored S-class limo price tag.
Pelosi wanted an armored Prius instead of a Suburban. What a joke, the Prius is a cool car even though the looks are polarizing - but it'll become a moving boat anchor with all that armoring...
Old 11-08-08, 03:14 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars are truly built like mobile tanks. The current model is known as "The Beast" by SS because it is so heavy that it is very hard to drive. On board it is its own world and includes its own air supply.

No doubt that the US president needs a car that will protect him in any environment and in any country where he steps foot.

I can't wait to see it without camo!
Old 11-08-08, 03:50 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Pelosi wanted an armored Prius instead of a Suburban. What a joke, the Prius is a cool car even though the looks are polarizing - but it'll become a moving boat anchor with all that armoring...
lol wow... i think just armoring the prius would kill its mpg, but thats just me.

Obama should get a Lexus LX, true its built in Japan, but Toyota been selling Lexus on the US market since 1989. If not a RXh made in the good old Canada

Man that would be interesting to see an extended RX.
Old 11-08-08, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Pelosi wanted an armored Prius instead of a Suburban. What a joke,
Give her an armored Miata..........with the top down.
Old 11-08-08, 10:43 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Shocked. For one, America is bankrupt and millions are out of work, but Obama wants to build basketball courts in the white house and a new limo for himself, even though the old one isn't even 10 years old.

Second, because I assumed he would go green to set an example. Guess it's kind of hard to do that when the car weighs so much, but there has to be some way to integrate some green components.

I am glad to see we still buy American though. That is a good message and one that needs to stay.
Old 11-08-08, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drink300
Shocked. For one, America is bankrupt and millions are out of work, but Obama wants to build basketball courts in the white house and a new limo for himself, even though the old one isn't even 10 years old.

Second, because I assumed he would go green to set an example. Guess it's kind of hard to do that when the car weighs so much, but there has to be some way to integrate some green components.

I am glad to see we still buy American though. That is a good message and one that needs to stay.
This is one of the few (very few) times I have to give Obama the benefit of the doubt. The President, no matter who it is, has to have a secure, armored vehicle to travel in. There are just too many fruitcakes out there, on both the left and right, who are waiting to take a potshot.

I don't think the old limo is 10 years old; I think I remember Bush getting a new one at some time during his Presidency, but even if it is 5 or 6 years old, it's not a bad idea to replace it. Things start to go wrong and wear out after several years, even with good maintenance.

But.........don't think that just buying Cadillac means buying "American". Remember, we live in a global economy, and you can bet there are a whole lot of non-American parts on that Cadillac.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-08 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 12:35 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still, the armor Caddy would be 90% built in America.... the original car will be stripped, and basically completely rebuilt by hand by top technicians, contractors, oversee by the government, its basically a strengthened caddy chassis with a caddy shell and interior, everything else is like military grade lol.
Old 11-08-08, 12:42 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Throw some D's on it............
Old 11-08-08, 12:51 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks very odd....car that's based on a truck.....whole new concept of an automobile!!
Old 11-08-08, 12:57 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drink300
You think Obama had anything to do with this limo? He was just elected and it looks like it's been in development for some time.
Old 11-08-08, 01:02 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

It looks like the right vehicle for the right president in the right times!
Old 11-08-08, 03:04 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Dunno if we should be posting those pics... but whatever...
Old 11-08-08, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jackblack7
You think Obama had anything to do with this limo? He was just elected and it looks like it's been in development for some time.

Exactly. That was my point. No matter who the President is, he has to have a reliable, safe vehicle to travel in. This new limo was probably ordered some time ago for whoever won the election.
Old 11-08-08, 06:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
lol wow... i think just armoring the prius would kill its mpg, but thats just me.

Obama should get a Lexus LX, true its built in Japan, but Toyota been selling Lexus on the US market since 1989. If not a RXh made in the good old Canada

Man that would be interesting to see an extended RX.
The UN uses the Land Cruiser Prado which is our GX470 here. So you know it's proven
Old 11-08-08, 06:49 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

This is not an Escalade. From what I've read, it will be based on the GM 2500 heavy duty truck chassis, but I think it will look a lot like a Deville. There is absolutely no reason to try to make something like this 'green', the very idea is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Obama to get new truck-based Cadillac limo