Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Obama to get new truck-based Cadillac limo

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
This is not an Escalade. From what I've read, it will be based on the GM 2500 heavy duty truck chassis, but I think it will look a lot like a Deville. There is absolutely no reason to try to make something like this 'green', the very idea is ridiculous.
Presidential vehicles have drivers, of course, who are trained in anti-terrorist escape tactics and driving. One thing concerns me about a truck chassis like that......if good enough handling and a low enough center of gravity can be put into it that it doesn't roll over like a beach ball the first time the driver has to make an abrupt or violent escape manuver. Of course, it will have the best traction/ stability/ABS systems possible on it, but you can only go so far in fighting the laws of physics....the more truck-like the chassis, in general, the worse the handling and responsiveness.
Old 11-08-08, 09:43 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obama just bought a cadillac....throw some d's on that bI**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYdwXmRTYA
Old 11-09-08, 10:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple comments:

The day the US president's limo is anything other than American made is the day we can confirm the American car industry really is dead.

While I'm sure the wheels/tires on the production limo will be bigger and nicer looking than those on the test vehicle, I sure hope Obama doesn't decide to get ghetto with it and put something overly big/flashy/spinning on the car. That'd be tacky for a president, IMO.
Old 11-09-08, 06:20 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
A couple comments:

The day the US president's limo is anything other than American made is the day we can confirm the American car industry really is dead.

While I'm sure the wheels/tires on the production limo will be bigger and nicer looking than those on the test vehicle, I sure hope Obama doesn't decide to get ghetto with it and put something overly big/flashy/spinning on the car. That'd be tacky for a president, IMO.

just curious what would give you the thought of him wanting to put rims on the cadillac? sounds stereotypical...

Obama has really little say in this vehicle. this vehicle is most liekly the work of personnel in the secret service and they're just staying on top of the game...

Last edited by baddis es; 11-09-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 08:56 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baddis es
just curious what would give you the thought of him wanting to put rims on the cadillac? sounds stereotypical...

I'm sure you can agree it's a lot more likely to happen now than it was when Bush was in office.
Old 11-09-08, 09:22 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple comments:

Nice You are joking, right? Right? Right? Ghetto? Is this guy serious? Did you attend to College? Did you graduate? Serious questions...
Old 11-09-08, 09:29 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Sarah Palin would drive herself around. I hope they run his credit report before giving him the car.
Old 11-09-08, 09:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LOL!
Nice You are joking, right? Right? Right? Ghetto? Is this guy serious? Did you attend to College? Did you graduate? Serious questions...
Joking because it probably won't happen and is obviously based on a cultural stereotype that probably doesn't apply to Obama (even though it's sure as hell more likely to than Bush, as I said). Serious because it really would be tacky if it were true. Yes I have a college degree - not sure what that has anything to do with the thread unless you're attempting to get personal here.

I'll go back to walking on eggshells around the ultra sensitive PC crowd around here.
Old 11-10-08, 08:29 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll go back to walking on eggshells around the ultra sensitive PC crowd around here.
you should try to be sensitive and respectful all the time, not just around here.
Old 11-10-08, 09:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
you should try to be sensitive and respectful all the time, not just around here.
Thank you....

I'm sure the prez's new limo will look just fine.
Old 11-10-08, 10:02 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

You guys kills me... all these things were said before I ever posted:

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
when does it get 22'' spinners?
Originally Posted by cherplex
Throw some D's on it............
Originally Posted by suislide
Obama just bought a cadillac....throw some d's on that bI**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYdwXmRTYA
And then I respond saying

I sure hope Obama doesn't decide to get ghetto with it and put something overly big/flashy/spinning on the car. That'd be tacky for a president, IMO.
Now tell me how what I said in response to these comments was insensitive whereas what they said wasn't?

Because I said the word ghetto? That's exactly what big flashy spinners are, is ghetto.

I bet if this was 8 years ago and Bush's limo was being talked about being truck based and people were joking about it being a lifted truck with a shot gun rack in the back nobody would get offended.

Old 11-10-08, 10:17 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It's sad that there isn't a decent American flagship vehicle! The Escalade? Still a POS!
I LOVE the new escalade...
Old 11-10-08, 03:58 PM
LexFather

You guys kills me... all these things were said before I ever posted:

And then I respond saying

Now tell me how what I said in response to these comments was insensitive whereas what they said wasn't?

Because I said the word ghetto? That's exactly what big flashy spinners are, is ghetto.

I bet if this was 8 years ago and Bush's limo was being talked about being truck based and people were joking about it being a lifted truck with a shot gun rack in the back nobody would get offended.

Maybe b/c some had simple one-liners and you seemed to put entire thought into it. It is absurd to think Obama would even remotely think of putting any "rim" on a presendential vehicle. THe vehicle is purpose built.

What is funny is the "Ghetto" culture is so POWERFUL, the typical "suburban" crowd caters to it too. I've seen plenty of Bush look alikes in Escalades with giant rims that have all the quality of 20 year old HYundai.

This is going nowhere, closed.