Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IsraelRX
Nice review.

The 2006 RL was on my short list next to a Legacy Spec-B, M35x, G35x and the FX45 i'm driving.
I felt it was a good car, but short on power and a bit expensive for what it delivered.
How do you compare it to Infiniti's M? and what makes you think the SH-AWD is better than the ATTESA?
All the cars on that list are nice, but in my view the Legacy Spec-B is the best buy for the money (I've long had a high opinion of Subarus, except for some of their recent cost-cutting on some models). The others cost too much. For what a new RL cost, for example, you'll get a new Spec-B and 15K in change.

Comparing the RL to the Infiniti M35X, they are both nice cars in different ways. The RL seems to have better overall build-quality materials, inside and out. The M, on the other hand, seems to have a better chassis and more responsive handling. Both have nice interiors....but I dislike the dash-controllers in both as well; I much prefer conventional buttons/*****, etc... You, of course, may disagree.

The SH-AWD is not necessarily better than other AWD systems at normal driving speeds or driving conditions....its excellence doen't show until you really start to push it, which I generally don't do on my reviews. For that, it is best to consult a publication like Car and Driver or Road and Track, which does track testing at the limit.

But that doesn't mean that I just drive around like Grandma for a couple of blocks and then write up a review. I use the throttle, transmission, brakes, and steering hard enough to get a good idea of what they are capable of in reasonably spirited driving. But, in general, my reviews are designed to show you more in detail what the car is like, and what you get for your money, rather than how fast it will run a drag strip or do the Nurburgring.
Old 11-08-08, 07:54 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am a Subaru fan (having owned 3 Impreza GT/ uk impreza Turbo and having: 3 Legacys; 2 outbacks & Impreza in my family), but I prefer buying an almost new second hand cars, and the Spec-B with the VDC and 6-speed just came out, so I opted for the FX45, which blends power, good handling, AWD & reliability in a uniqe styling I always liked (controversial I know). Didn't care much about the MPG, as I drive around 6K miles a year.

Driving through snow and ice, I must say the Infiniti seems like a nice system, though I'm not sure its for everyone's taste, as it tends to shift more power to the rear until slippage resaulting in a fun though different feeling to the Subie, RX300 or Sienna.

Keep on the good work, always interesting to read your reviews
Old 11-08-08, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IsraelRX
Driving through snow and ice, I must say the Infiniti seems like a nice system, though I'm not sure its for everyone's taste, as it tends to shift more power to the rear until slippage resaulting in a fun though different feeling to the Subie, RX300 or Sienna.
One reason the Subaru AWD systems (there are 5 different ones in all) are so good on snow and ice is that they generally don't allow much, if any slippage before shifting the torque. Most other manufacturers use systems that delay the torque adjustment some, so you don't always get instant traction on a slick surface, but have to wait a couple of seconds for it.

Keep on the good work, always interesting to read your reviews
Thanks. You guys will love the special holiday review I've got coming up next month (IF I can get a sample to test-drive) Wait and see.
Old 11-08-08, 10:03 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, another great review. I really liked the way you were very up front with the specific concerns people have made about the car, and then started your review. You must take a digital voice recorder on these interviews, because you seem to have too many details to either write down or commit to memory. One other thing, I have looked at your signature over the months and never saw a Lexus logo, and have wondered about that. Are you posting your reviews at other makes' boards?
Old 11-09-08, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex Law
Mike, another great review.
Thanks.

I really liked the way you were very up front with the specific concerns people have made about the car, and then started your review.
This review, more than most, I did specifically BECAUSE of those concerns.....and my own.

You must take a digital voice recorder on these interviews, because you seem to have too many details to either write down or commit to memory.
No, I don't. I'm not into a lot of electronic toys, outside of a simple, dial-up laptop and a regular land-line answering mahine. I don't even have a cell or digital phone.

Most of what I write is done from a couple of sources....the car's price sticker/computer printout for pricing and options, manufacturer's brochure/ website (for specs), my previous and present automotive knowledge of the car, and, of course, my actual observations during the review, inspection, and test-drive.

On a typical review day, after breakfast, I'll check various dealerships in my area (there are a lot of them) by website/inventory or phone to make sure what I want to review is in stock. I go out to the dealer around 9-10 AM (sometimes after a swim at an indoor pool), take a look around the lot and showroom to make sure the vehicle (or others like it ) are still there, select a vehicle. Then I check the tire pressure with my own gauge to make sure it is on or close to recommended PSI (Lots of vehicles don't have their tires adjusted after they come off the transporter). Then I walk around and inspect the body, paint, and exterior, stem-to-stern and roof-to-ground. I check underhood to make sure fluids are OK (they almost always are), and, while underhood, note the features, layout and service access. Then I check the cargo area/trunk to see how it is designed and finished. Then I get inside, adjust the seat, headrests, and and mirrors to my needs, and note the many features, controls, interior materials, fit/finish, space efficiency, head/legroom, trim quality, etc.... This is often the longest and most involved part, as there are a lot of things to check. Then I start it up, note the idle characteristics, let the engine warm up a little, drive normally for mile or two (longer in the winter) to et the basic feel of the car, and when warm, give it a couple of hard acceleration tests from a roll (usually not over 4500 RPM with a new car), hit the brakes moderately hard a few times to check brake/pedal characteristics, try and find several different road surfaces to check tire noise on each one, check wind noise and ride quality at various speeds and surfaces, and look for some sharp curves or exit ramps to test cornering, steering response, and body roll, and do some moderately abrupt-manuvers on a straight road to simulate a sudden swerve.....again, of course, within safe limits. I often test-drive alone (as many dealerships know me and know that I'm safe, or gather that from my professionalism), but sometimes insurance regs force a dealer rep to come along with me. Most dealerships don't mind me taking their cars out, as they want me to review them because it sometimes stirs up interest.....and, of course, possible sales.

When I'm satisfied I know the car's basic driving habits (remember, I'm not looking for max-performance figures; that's the job of the auto magazines), I bring it back, park it EXACTLY where I got it as a courtesy to the dealership, take the tag off, hand the tag and key over, give a short analysis, thank them for their courtesy (they know I may send them a prospective customer), write down the car's price and sticker info on a piece of paper or get a computer printout with the data, and then go to lunch.....by then, it's usually close to noon. At lunch, in my favorite restaurants, where I can relax, enjoy the food, and get my thoughts together, I take out a tablet, jot down the rough PLUSSES and MINUSES I noted during the morning (my memory is very good at this, I've been doing this a long time). Then I go home, fire my computer up, get out the notes I took during lunch, and put together either a full length or condensed review on the computer's hard drive, in case the computer crashes (that way, I won't lose my work). This is time-consuming, and takes hours. I use Google images because I don't have a digital camera or the knowledge to unload it. When the review is done, I copy it and transfer it to a CL CAR CHAT thread. I usually have to work on the margins and respacing a little after posting it because it doesn't copy exactly the same spacing as on the hard drive. When I'm satisfied that everything's done properly, I then leave it on CL for you guys to read and post your own comments.

But, to answer your first question in a nutshell, no, I don't take notes as I go, until after I'm done and get to the restaurant. My former experience as an airplane pilot and FAA employee helped me learn to keep a lot of stuff in my head all at one sitting.

One other thing, I have looked at your signature over the months and never saw a Lexus logo, and have wondered about that. Are you posting your reviews at other makes' boards?
I didn't actually make up that light-blue sig and the logos myself....I don't have the computer skills for that. That was cpone's work. I think he did a great job.

I don't formally post reviews on other boards, but I have a mailing list of non-CL fans............each of them gets a copy when I'm done. As you would guess, I also advise and actually shop with a lot of people to help them get their new or used car....I don't just write about cars. I locate, inspect, and test-drive a suitable car for them (to make sure there's no defects in the car), and help them through the deal process, although sometimes I have to bow out for a few minutes when credit records are checked because of privacy laws.

I do all of this, voluntarily, strictly in my free time (I'm now retired), not as a member of the auto press. I don't WANT to be in the auto press, for a number of reasons....I don't really like the way the auto press operates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-09-08 at 01:33 PM.