Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Legend GS, best Acura sedan ever?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 10:57 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love that style legend, especially the coupe. that white one up there^ is beautiful.
Old 10-20-08, 03:15 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my favorite cars of all time. I will get a 95 coupe next September to add to my stable.

-King Bimmer
Old 10-20-08, 03:24 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bboarder71
haha yes I am,

hows it going greek?
Nah, it me Chris, goes by ChrisK on the Legend forums. Haven't really been active there too much though.
Old 10-20-08, 03:37 PM
inLine4
Pole Position

I agree. I always wanted a white Legend 5-spd sedan but they are hard as hell to find.
Old 10-20-08, 05:28 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I just love the style of the Legend in coupe and sedan forms. Unfortunately, it is really hard to find a nice clean used one and there are blown headgasket problems.
Old 10-20-08, 06:54 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of you look familiar from legend forums. I loved mine and still do. I've owned 93 type II 6 speed coupe and 91 Auto both gone now. The 6 speed coupe was sleeper being able to keep up with buddy's 99 M3 manual with exhaust and CAI. I'm pretty sure some of you recognize me once you see my cars. Can you guess where my username came from?

Great car but it's notorious for BHG's. That's the reason I had to let go of my 6 speed.

Old 10-20-08, 07:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't want to be that guy, and don't get mad at me for this, but what was so great about the Legend? I have never been in one, driven or riden in one, so i just wanna know, although i do like the way they look cept for those really crappy rims that came on the ls models and the shifter that looked like the one from the 92-97 sc
Old 10-20-08, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The 4 door Integra GS of the time was an excellent drive as well. Acura can & should revive these gems. Also, make an S2000 based Acura drop top please.
When the S2000 was near production mode, Acura dealers BEGGED for it to be badged an Acura. HEre was a 30k plus outstanding roadster that Acura needed. All they had was the slow selling CL and NSX.

Clearly, it stayed a Honda.

Old 10-20-08, 09:46 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A great car, but I always thought the sedan styling was a complete yawn.

My friend Chris had a 6-speed coupe that was lowered a touch with
18" wheels... 18s were "big" on this car back in the day.
Old 10-21-08, 12:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
I don't want to be that guy, and don't get mad at me for this, but what was so great about the Legend? I have never been in one, driven or riden in one, so i just wanna know, although i do like the way they look cept for those really crappy rims that came on the ls models and the shifter that looked like the one from the 92-97 sc
It's hard to appreciate a car that came out before you were born

Unlike the RL that replaced it, the legend inspired a sportiness/luxurious drive. Despite not having too much power on paper, the transmission was geared well enough to make use of its power. Not to mention, torque steer isn't much of an issue on this car relative to the TLs due to the longitudinal engine mount, enabling the car to use a more equal driveshaft.
Old 10-21-08, 12:36 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yellowmelow, that was a clean looking Legend
Old 10-21-08, 07:01 AM
bboarder71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Nah, it me Chris, goes by ChrisK on the Legend forums. Haven't really been active there too much though.
Well a hi will go out to you too, greekpower was also a member

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I just love the style of the Legend in coupe and sedan forms. Unfortunately, it is really hard to find a nice clean used one and there are blown headgasket problems.
its really a shame that these cars have this problem. I suffered a BHG at 132k fixed it and now I have 140k and shes running perfect

KA8 thats a great name and i do recognize both legends.

GSteg put it well, the car has a very sporty feel of which has not been accomplished by those that replaced it. It was designed to compete with the 5 series of the time and for comfort at high speeds. The v6 in the type one has more tq then the type 2 in the 94-95 GS sedan and 92-95 Coupes. Its still faster then the modern RL that has 100 more hp and just a little bigger with the 4 speed auto. The longitudinal engine mount also helps with a better weight distribution resulting in a 60/40 , not the best but better them most FWD sedans.
Old 10-21-08, 08:29 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go drive one. you would be impressed.
Old 10-21-08, 08:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Well the sedan is slow and handles like a boat. Whats not to like for $40k?
Old 10-21-08, 10:46 AM
LexFather

Good question. The Legend is simply a true "Legend". You see the craptastic ACura of today is not the ACura of the 1990s. Back then Acura cared about being the best and trying to be the best with its usual Honda quirkiness. Cutting costs was not job #1. The first gen LEgend was import car of the year and sold very well.

The 2nd gen took things to another level. First, it had classly, timeless styling. It was clearly influenced by the same Accord of that time, just look at the overall shape and the huge windows. Thing is, they made the LEgend more GErman, with short front overhang and pretty much perfect proportions. The headlights had a quad reflector lense. Panel gaps were tight. The LEgend had REAL WOOD. The interior is still PERFECT, classy with huge dials. The leather was plush. Room was ample in the front and rear.

Power was good and got better with the GS. You could get a manual.

It simply was one of THE cars to have in the early 1990s. If you had a Legend, you were making a statement. Everyone wanted a Legend.

Instead of elevating Acura to the next logical level, they dumbed down Acura. Started building the cars in Ohio. The RL shared 40% of its parts with the Legend. The competition by then had caught up and passed it. Today we have the worse selling Legend/RL of our time. In Europe as the Honda LEgend, they poke fun at the name since its not Legendary. Its sad that people can ARGUE that the old Legend from 15 years ago is on par with Acuras today. YOu can't say the same about BMW, Benz, Lexus, INfiniti, Caddy, Lincoln etc. Its clear they have gotten MUCH better. With Acura, in some cases, they got worse.

The 2nd gen Legend, IMO, is one of the greatest cars built EVER. I dare anyone to disagree with me.

They need to re-hire or get the guys who made the Legend out of retirement and run Acura again.

Side note-Notice the NSX was made this same time, another huge Acura Wow!

Quick Reply: Acura Legend GS, best Acura sedan ever?