Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Shifting Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 09:07 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
my IS 250 MT!!!

-it makes this marble in a jar noise

-sometimes cant engage 2nd gear

-rattles

-LONG shift distance

oh i thought this thread is about worst shifting cars

everything else is perfect....what was Lexus thinking putting a Tacoma tranny in the IS?!?!

dude I feel ya. I work at a car dealership and an IS 250 MT came in on trade. I was like, yay! because I been wanting to test drive a IS MT to see how it shifts because i WAS looking to maybe purchase one. I hated it, and that was very hard to type by the way. The shifts are unrefined, I shifted it into second gear, and i think it was still in first and then decided to shift in second like after 2 or 3 seconds & the shifts are TOO long. Plus I couldnt get the sunroof to close and its pretty well marked out in detail how to close it too pissed me off. Plus it was silver & only was in the car for like 5 minutes too.

Done get me wrong, I like the IS series but I will never purchase a manual IS.

The shifter in the Infiniti G does shift like a truck like someone said. they made it better in the redesign G sedan and coupe, but still shifts way too abrutly.

Havent really driven an S2000 to put my 2cents in, so I dont want to post an opinion about them, but the Manual tranny in the BMW 330i (last generation) and this generation V8 5-series (540? 545? before it came to be 550) does shift very smooth I think. I just tingled when i was driving it. haha!
Old 10-07-08, 09:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Another vote for Honda S2000, it is pretty much manual shifting perfection, so precise and satisfying to use.

close seconds
Acura NSX
Acura Integra
Honda Preludes
Acura TSX
Acura TL type S

last Supra Turbo 6 speed was good but not as good as Hondas
last Mazda RX-7 was very good also from what I remember.
E46 M3 was pretty good
911 are pretty good.
Old 10-07-08, 10:00 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the shift feel of the 335i...don't know why, I've driven both cars and to me s2k < 335i...o well, I suck at shifting
Old 10-07-08, 10:56 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

wost shifting car i've ever driven was my old fd rx7 tuff to get into 5th, put a short shifter on that made it a pia to find gears when you thought about it (bad design i guess), and a 4 puck clutch didn't make it easy to drive

best 93 supra tt with short shifter, like butter, i miss that car
Old 10-08-08, 05:19 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 Audi A4 2.0t was the best manual I've driven to date, however I've never driven a Honda S2k so maybe that's why.
Old 10-08-08, 05:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of current cars I have to go with RX8 and Evo X
Old 10-08-08, 06:02 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

S2000 FTW!!! That was one of the things I really loved about mine and even though I traded it for the ISF I miss it and will own another soon!
Old 10-08-08, 06:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honda is #1 when it comes to stick but you gotta to love the stick in the C6 Vette.. 1st to 4th skip shift
Old 10-08-08, 06:21 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by emoshun
I would agree with the ITR tranny, I used to love it!! But seeing I cannot fit in an S2K, I can only agree with you on that one.

Worst feel shifter I've owned is the Nissan S14 240SX. It was so loose, and would move from side to side as I would drift.
YEA my 240sx shifted like a Nissan Frontier I'm in the same boat as you at 6'3 230 I felt claustrophobic
Old 10-08-08, 06:26 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Another vote for Honda S2000, it is pretty much manual shifting perfection, so precise and satisfying to use.

close seconds
Acura NSX
Acura Integra
Honda Preludes
Acura TSX
Acura TL type S

last Supra Turbo 6 speed was good but not as good as Hondas
last Mazda RX-7 was very good also from what I remember.
E46 M3 was pretty good
911 are pretty good.
So the TSX has a good manual. What about the regular TL.
Old 10-08-08, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Without question, Honda does the best and slickest-shifting FWD manuals....especially on the Civic line.

As far as RWD manuals go, it's a little harder to say, though the Honda S2000, Mazda Miata, and several BMW models have to rank way up there.
Old 10-08-08, 08:46 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

It seems like the vast majority of these cars have engines with (relatively) little torque. I know there's something about powerful/torquey engines that requires them to be mated to a difficult clutch/shifter, but I'm not entirely sure why. Can somebody elaborate?
Old 10-08-08, 10:00 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys should really try out some porsches. ive done back to back driving in caymans and s2000s and the cayman was just that little bit extra better. but otherwise i agree, porsche + honda. i actually like the nissan 6MT. not as refined but clutch gives back a lot of feedback. feels more mechanical, more manly. bmw i liked the least with its long throws and clutch behavior.
Old 10-08-08, 10:49 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Of the cars I've been in, the Miata was by far the smoothest & easist to shift. I haven't driven a Honda made in the last 15 years, but the ones I have driven, I hated the clutch in. I felt like I had 2 feet of pedal movement with it engaging instantly somewhere randomly halfway down. I wouldn't be suprised if the S2000 is better though. I can tell you that at 150k miles, my Trans Am has one of the most difficult shifters out there. It's got a decent feel, but is rarely willing to accept a gear without a little work. I do love it for some reason though. I'd have a tough time trading it for anything else in the price range.
Old 10-08-08, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
It seems like the vast majority of these cars have engines with (relatively) little torque. I know there's something about powerful/torquey engines that requires them to be mated to a difficult clutch/shifter, but I'm not entirely sure why. Can somebody elaborate?
Part of it is that a lot of torque, in general, requires a large, durable clutch, pressure plate and large springs. Those large springs, of course, require some effort when pushing the pedal in and out, unless you use a power-boost mechanism, which is not found in most street cars. However, the newer Corvettes have done a good of using adequate, durable clutches for theor 400 ft-lbs-plus of torque without an unduly high effort. The last Corvette manual I drove, I noticed a significantly lower clutch effort than with previous 'Vettes.

Quick Reply: Best Shifting Car