Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen considering Beetle-based pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 04:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Volkswagen considering Beetle-based pickup?

Will The U.S. Get A Beetle-Based Pickup?

Posted: 10-05-08 23:39 PT

A truck that makes the Toyota A-BAT (which we like) look like a Super Duty? Automotive News is reporting on whispers about Volkswagen potentially selling a new pickup in the U.S. that’s based on its upcoming second-generation New Beetle.

A Beetle-derived hauler could play a role in Volkswagen's plan to boost annual vehicle sales in the U.S. to 1 million by 2018, up from about 230,000 last year. But such a move would likely disappoint American truck shoppers hoping for something more substantial from VW.

Volkswagen recently unveiled a rugged concept version of its all-new world pickup at the 2008 IAA Commercial Vehicles Show in Hanover, Germany. Rumored to be called "Robust," VW's first in-house designed, engineered and manufactured pickup isn't destined for our shores. VW will only sell the new work truck in South America, South Africa, Australia and Europe.

What might a Beetle pickup look like? Several years ago, German second-stage manufacturer CargoFun created custom pickups based on the first-generation New Beetle. They featured a trunk in the tailgate and 1,000 pounds of load-carrying capacity in the cargo box. Conversion costs were high, though -- upward of $10,000, which seemed to scuttle the market for such a truck.

Maybe someone at VW has a wicked sense of humor. VW officially says the midsize Robust will be a one-ton pickup. Perhaps if a Beetle-based truck arrives in the U.S., it will try to market it as a half-ton.
Source
Old 10-06-08, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting, but nothing new for VW. Decades ago, they sold 2-door pickups based on the old Rabbit/Golf platform (the new Beetle, of course, is also built off the current Rabbit/Golf/Jetta platform).

Old 10-06-08, 06:39 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting, but nothing new for VW. Decades ago, they sold 2-door pickups based on the old Rabbit/Golf platform (the new Beetle, of course, is also built off the current Rabbit/Golf/Jetta platform).

I just saw a VW pick-up like this parked Saturday at the Antique Mack Truck show in Lititz Pa. they still survive amazingly and yours is great looking.
Now who remembers the Electric VW pick-up like this I saw one in the early 1980's in a parade. In the last few month's I did see something on this somewhere.
IMHO bring back the one from the 80's.
Old 10-06-08, 07:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I know those little VW pickups very well. My cousin Carlos imported one to Mexico. They were known as the VW Caddy. I was helping him buy some pieces from the U.S. for a renovation project up until the point I left Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Caddy