Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official IS250-C pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 11:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default More ...

Source
Old 10-02-08, 11:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that the most disappointing thing about this car is that it took so long to build and doesn't really offer or do anything better than the competition.

EVERY internal source I have talked to in the last year said that the reason the car was taking so long to build is because it was going to come with a trick targa-style top because Lexus wanted to do something different than what BMW had done. The targa part was going to be the big surprise and the car's claim to fame. This was allegedly the whole point behind the LF-C- showing that Lexus could do a targa style hard top.

Additionally, to think that it was going to be a targa, most folks would assume that it would look quite sporty and aggressive...who could see a targa top on something like the Solara?

So here we are with a car that has no reason to have taken 4 years to come out. A lot of the sheetmetal and hardware is identical to the sedan, the sides look very bland and uninspiring, and the rear end looks good but also corporate Lexus parts bin, and it offers nothing new that isn't seen or offered in another section of the Lexus line up.

It's for these reasons that the car is such a let-down IMO. With the amount of time that they had to build it and come up with something spectacular and unique, the actual product is underwhelming.
Old 10-02-08, 11:16 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bitkahuna;3886143]
PRESS RELEASE
Spacious, for, rodents?
For a convertible hard top coupe, that is a BIG rear seat. What would you have preferred instead? An even BIGGER rear end?

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I would say that the most disappointing thing about this car is that it took so long to build and doesn't really offer or do anything better than the competition.

EVERY internal source I have talked to in the last year said that the reason the car was taking so long to build is because it was going to come with a trick targa-style top because Lexus wanted to do something different than what BMW had done. The targa part was going to be the big surprise and the car's claim to fame. This was allegedly the whole point behind the LF-C- showing that Lexus could do a targa style hard top.

Additionally, to think that it was going to be a targa, most folks would assume that it would look quite sporty and aggressive...who could see a targa top on something like the Solara?

So here we are with a car that has no reason to have taken 4 years to come out. A lot of the sheetmetal and hardware is identical to the sedan, the sides look very bland and uninspiring, and the rear end looks good but also corporate Lexus parts bin, and it offers nothing new that isn't seen or offered in another section of the Lexus line up.

It's for these reasons that the car is such a let-down IMO. With the amount of time that they had to build it and come up with something spectacular and unique, the actual product is underwhelming.
Looking at more real-life pics, the car looks decent and is growing on me a bit.

Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

There is NO reason why Lexus took SO long for this to come out. With the IS-F at least there were several understandable reasons why that project took long.

With the IS250C, I cannot think of any meaningful reasons why it took that long. Excuses like strengthening the body structure, delaying it to coincide with the IS mid-cycle refresh, getting the car down to a competitive cost, ensuring high quality ... all of these just don't fly. The IS is due soon for a redesign, and it's absolutely a dissapointment that it took THIS LONG for a hard top convertible to come out. Even more dissapointing is that a coupe was highly rumoured, and we don't even get a coupe! All this time and it's just a convertible. Lexus sorely needed, and still needs an IS Coupe.
Old 10-02-08, 11:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Exactly... I don't think I've been ever so disappointed by Lexus. Ever.
Old 10-02-08, 11:29 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

front bumper is too chiseled compared to the round fat ***. it needs something rounder like the IS-f front bumper

Last edited by dunnojack; 10-02-08 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 11:34 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The car doesn't look that bad, but the original 4 door had better proportions. For those who say the G37 convertable looks much much better, I think your all referring to the concept version. I'm not really aware of a production version of it yet.
Old 10-02-08, 11:56 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I ain't craving it. Aside from the fact that it is a Lexus there's nothing to distinguish the car. It takes the wedgy look of the sedan and suddenly makes it blocky and thick. The mis-proportioned back makes rear wheels look especially small.
Old 10-02-08, 12:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It probably wont sell like the sedan counterpart, but there is a market for it. In socal, you see convertibles everywhere. Just because it's a convertible with a Lexus nameplate on it, the badge lovers (who wants a convertible) will buy it.

Prediction? Lexus will make 5000 copies and sell 1000 of it. Upon disappointment, they will pretend their sales target is only 500 so they can say they've sold 100% more than expected; thus Lexus wouldn't feel so ridiculous
Old 10-02-08, 12:13 PM
LexFather

Lawd that post is spot on. We waited years for this? R they serious?

Old 10-02-08, 12:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SOmehow, it doesn't look that good. I think a fixed roof would look better.
On the other hand, the SL retractable roof looks pretty good so I'm at a loss what's wrong here. All this wait and for this!
Lexus needs to come better than this.
Old 10-02-08, 01:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
anybody know where we can find the unveiling autoshow video?
http://www.lexus.eu/about/motor-show...World_Premiere

There is a professionally produced vid here, not the unveiling but it shows the droptop in action.

The rear end, it interests me, whether in person it's better I don't know, but I was surprised how it seemed to differ vs. the IS sedan. Actually the taillight shape makes me think of a blend with this version of the Toyota Camry/Aurion...they used those taillight shapes, infused LX-type LED bars, and more squared off lighting. The IS sedan version is more curvaceous. In a way the taillights are like the rest of how the IS-C squared off the lines of the IS sedan.
Attached Thumbnails Official IS250-C pics-lexus-is-rear.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 10-02-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 01:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

They're really not that significantly different:

Old 10-02-08, 01:39 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
They're really not that significantly different:

I don't like how the coupe/convert visually shrinks the rear wheels.
Old 10-02-08, 01:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by speedflex
I don't like how the coupe/convert visually shrinks the rear wheels.
I think it's 17" wheels for Europe...
Old 10-02-08, 01:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

It's not that bad...it just isn't particularly good. I love my sedan

Quick Reply: Official IS250-C pics