Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Acura TL

By widespread CL interest, a review of the 2009 Acura TL

http://www.acura.com/

In a Nutshell: This year's base TL much like last year's automatic Type-S, and IMO one of the best FWD sport/luxury sedans available.

Needless to say, there is a lot of CL interest in the 2009 TL. Talk of this car has dominated several CAR CHAT threads, and a couple of CL members have already done mini-reviews. I got more than the usual number of requests for a full-length review, and I promised you guys one as soon as I could. It's been on my review list for almost two months now, but Acura has delayed getting them to dealerships, in my area, until this week. Seems like the new TSX (which I also reviewed recently) and RL had priority. But the first new TLs are finally coming in, and a nice dark blue one with black leather interior was available this morning for a test-drive....so I took the chance to test it out while I could.

The Acura TL line replaced the rather ho-hum Acura Vigor line of the 1990's, a car which, IMO, looked awkward, and drove rather blandly. Like most Honda/Acura products, it was generally reliable, but there were some noted (and serious) automatic transmission issues up to through the 2003 model year. Many early TL's, like Dodge/Chrysler minivans, had transmissions hat failed prematurely. Acura noted the problem and took pains to deal with the issue and extend warranty coverage where needed. Later models, since 2003, have been virtually bulletproof, although I was not impressed with their interior trim or hardware quality either, until recently, when, upon reviewing the 2008 Type-S several months ago, I noticed that Acura had notably improved, yet again, the interior materials and assembly quality (the Type-S I recently reviewed was tight, with no rattles or squeaks).

So, now, as I speak, we have an all-new TL line, with some major changes over the last-generation model. Gone is the FWD Type-S. Presently, only a base-model TL is offered, with or without a Tech Package (my test car had it). It has the ubiquitous Honda/Acura 3.5L VTEC V6 which, in this version, produces 280 HP and 254 ft-lbs. of torque....at rather high RPM, in the Honda tradition. Only one transmission is offered; a 5-speed Sequential-Shift automatic with steering column-mounted paddles...the lever cannot be used for manual shifts. For now, only FWD is offered, but in November, an SH-AWD model with a larger 3.7L V6 will arrive...the first All-Wheel-Drive TL. It will take the place of last year's upmarket Type-S version in the TL lineup. However, the new 2009 base TL, in my experience today, is no slouch. It drives more or less like the old FWD 2008 Type-S, just without the fancy red Type-S logo on the deck lid....more on that, of course, below.

I had mixed expectations about the new TL, based on all of the talk about it here in CAR CHAT, although, in general, I was pleased.....more pleased with it than I thought I was going to be. Acura, IMO, did a superlative job with its last RL flagship, and kept its excellence for the 2009 model, but the new TSX was, IMO, a clear disappointment this year, for several reasons (see my review). I was concerned about the new TL being cheapened and subjected to cost-cutting. Happily, outside of one or two small small interior parts and the trunk carpeting, that doesn't seem to have happened. Overall, the car was a pleasure to drive, and, though a little stiffly-sprung and low-profile on the tires for my tastes, still rode fairly comfortably....as the last Type-S did. My general overall favorable impression is reflected with a relatively short list of MINUSES....shorter than usual. But enthusiasts may note that there are no manual transmissions this year, for either the base TL model or the upcoming SH-AWD .....Acura seems to be mum, for now, on whether one will be offered later. I didn't list it as a MINUS because, for me, I don't see it as an issue, but some enthusiasts may disagree.

So, what is the new TL like, in detail? Let's find out.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Acura TL TECH

Base Price: $38,685

Major Options: None

Destination/Freight: $760

List price as reviewed: $39,445

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.5L VTEC V6, 280 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque, 254 Ft-lbs. @ 5000 RPM, 5-speed Sequential-Shift automatic with
shift paddles.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 18 City, 26 Highway

Exterior Color: Royal Blue Pearl

Interior: Tech Package Ebony Leather (the Tech-package leather is perforated; the non-Tech isn't)

PLUSSES:

Smooth, quiet, powerful V6...but a little torque peaky.

Smooth, quiet, responsive automatic transmission.

BMW-smooth, right-now, superlative brake pedal feel.

Quick steering response for a mid/large size FWD car.

Relatively flat cornering with little body roll.

Nice-looking/feeling leather.

Comfortable, form-fitting front seats.

Good legroom, front/rear.

Fairly good headroom, front/rear.

Clear, well-designed primary gauges.

Nice, classy textured-metal interior trim.

Solid, high-quality interior hardware (with one exception).

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Lockable rear seat pass-through for long items in the trunk.

Excellent paint job.

Good wind-noise isolation.

Solid, high-quality sheet metal on body panels.

Light but solid-feeling hood.

Solid-feeling and closing doors.

MINUSES:

Circus-clown grille.

Too many plastic cover-panels underhood.

Poorly-located secondary gauges/stalks.

Cheap, flimsy-feeling NAV-adjustment ****.

Overboosted electric power steering.

Poor trunk finish (for an Acura).

Temporary spare tire/wheel.

Some road/tire noise at cruise speeds.

Premium fuel required....with no provision for regular.

So-so visibility out the rear window.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new TL, the first thing that hits you, especially if you approach from the front, is the same Bozo-the-Clown-smiling grille that also adorns other new Acuras...this seems to be a new company trademark, just like the oversized-square Audi grilles. The trunk lid also carries this theme, but to a lesser extent, as not as garish. The grille's trim is not bright, shiny chrome like some other exterior trim but a slightly less glossy and more matte, silver-like finish...ditto for the trunk lid's trim bar. The car itself has a slightly lower, squatting, feline, cat-like, stance than the 2008 model, with cat-like headlights and taillights. The basic body styling is reasonably good-looking, though I didn't particularly like the BMW-like raised brow on the trunklid or the inward-tuck of the wide C-Pillars. Almost everything on the outside, however, is done with class-A materials, solidness, and fit/finish. The sheet metal is solid, all 4 doors close with a solid "thunk" (the trunk lid slightly less so), the exterior hardware is smooth and solid, the two outside mirrors swivel and snap in place like Swiss watches, and the chrome window trim is expertly done. The paint job is what you have come to expect from Acura (need I say more?) and, befitting a car of this price, turn signals are built into the mirrors. The car's low stance and the shape of the lower-body panels and lower-front bumper don't give it a whole lot of ground clearance, but that will probably not be an issue except on the worst of up-ramps and speed bumps. Paint colors, while a little dull for my tastes, are, nontheless, classy (my choices, of those offered, would be the Diamond White Pearl and the Royal Blue Pearl on my test car). The alloy wheels were, to my taste, quite handsomely done....a classic five-spoke, mag-type design, one of my favorites.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the lightweight but still solid-feeling hood (it appears to be a good, solid grade of aluminum), and, proper for a car of this class, two gas-struts conviently hold it up for you....no cheap prop-rod like on the new TSX. Underneath the hood is a good blanket-insulation pad, which does an effective job of absorbing engine noise.....more on that later.

The sideways-mounted 3.5L V6 is actually fitted in pretty well, with space around the edges of the motor to reach some of its hardware, and, (Wonder of Wnders) it doesn't have a big, annoying plastic engine cover on top of it like most upmarket cars do, so working on the engine itself, while not a piece of cake, is nontheless reasonable.

But the rest of the access underhood stinks.....and in some cases borders on impossible. All around the engine, on three sides, are big, flat plastic cover-panels that cover everything. You pull up a small, square, snap-off panel to reach the battery's positive terminal underneath, but there is no apparant way to reach the negative terminal.....I don't know how one expects to be able to do a jump-start if necessarily. You can connect the jumper cable, of course, to a ground or the engine block instead, but, the way I learned to jump-start, that only works for one of the two cars involved....you have to have an exposed negative terminal on one of the cars (one of you auto technicians out there correct me if I'm wrong). The words "Engine Coolant" and "Brake Fluid" are stamped into the big black panels, (and the reservoirs are indeed underneath), but the panels seem to be locked in place....I could,'t seem to find a way to get them out of the way, short of taking out a whole bunch of screw-down attachments. This is ridiculous. There is no reason to design things underhood this way, and it just hampers an otherwise nice, pleasant car.

INTERIOR:

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the interior, which turned out better than I expected, especially after my major disappointment with the new TSX interior. Outside of the rather ugly and flimsy-feeling plastic NAV-adjustment **** (part of the Tech package), there was little to complain about inside. The two round secondary gauges for fuel and coolant temperaure, on either side of the larger speedometer and tach, are set a little too low on the dash, where they can be partially blocked by the turn signal/headlight stalk and steering wheel spokes at certain column settings...but otherwise, that's about it. I found nothing else inside significantly complain about. The gauges, while lacking the nice blue rings from opast Acuras, are nontheless clear and easy to read. The black, perforated seat leather of the Tech package (beige and Umber/brown are also available) is nice, fairly soft, and somewhat Lexus-like in its tactile feel. The light silver-gray, textured-metal trim on the console, dash, and door-panel was solid-feeling, classy, and appeared to be real metal rather than plastic (simulated-Chestnut wood trim is also available). The steering wheel also had a nice feel to its leather, without the awful, uncomfortable stitching and poorly-assembled spokes found on the MDX's wheel. There was enough headroom, both front and rear, for tall persons like me with caps.....but I was right on the limit in the rear without bending my head. Legroom, both front and rear, was fine, even for people my size. The stereo had generally easy-to-use buttons and ***** with a good, solid feel (in the Tech package, fortunately, they are separate from the cheap, flimsy NAV controller). The stereo has superb sound quality, close to, but not quite the equal of the Lexus Mark Levinson units (especially with Quiet Riot, one of my favorite Heavy Metal groups, doing "Bang Your Head".....now THAT's music.). The front seats had plenty of power adjustments, were very comfortable, and had form-fitting side/rear bolsters, though my wide torso was, again, right on the limit. The rear seats were almost as comfortable, had dual reading lamps in the ceiling, and had center arm-rests built in with cup holders and a pass-through panel.....see CARGO AREA/TRUNK, below. All of interior hardware, except for the NAV control, had a smooth, solid, well-designed look and feel. Rear visibility out the steeply slanted rear window and wide C-pillars is not particularly good, but the NAV screen, like most of them nowadays, has a back-up camera when the car is in reverse that helps greatly.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The trunk was fairly roomy, but the humpback-whale roofline, like on so many of today's sedans, compromises the length of the trunk opening itself. As I stated above in the EXTERIOR secton, I didn't particularly like the BMW-style raised-eyelid brow on the trunk lid, but, when closed, it does seem to add a little more room inside for tall and bulky items. Inside, the trunk, by premium-car standards, was not well finished. Thin, gray, slab-like, mouse-fur material covers the floor and walls. Underneath the floor, in the usual spot, are the jacking tools and the temporary spare tire/wheel. Yes, I'll say it again, like in past reviews.........cars in this price range should have a REAL spare. While the rear seats don't fold down for added cargo space, there is a small, lockable flip-down panel exposing a pass-through for long items like fishing poles or skis. On the front side of the panel is a hinged arm rest with 2 cupholders for the back seat.

ON THE ROAD:

Start the ubiquitous 3.5L V6 up with the state-of-the art START/STOP button (unlike the Dodge Challenger a few days ago, this time, the button actually worked). The engine, in typical Honda/Acura fashion, settles immediately into a silky-smooth, quiet idle, followed by an equally smooth (and almost as quiet) power flow once warmed up and on the road. Also in typical Honda/Acura fashion, the torque and HP curves are a little peaky, with the max torque of 254 ft-lbs. coming at a rather high 5000 RPM and the HP peak of 280 at 6200, but there is still enough torque down low, even below 3000 RPM, to be noticeable. Below about 3500 or so, you get significant acceleration, improving to a fairly good shove in the back above that as torque gets closer to its peak range. There is a little exhaust noise (not much), and the engine stayed smooth and quiet at all the RPM's I gave it (I didn't take it too high, of course, since it was brand-new). Honda and Acura have been criticized, a number of times, for not having a V8, but with a V6 this smooth, refined and powerful, even if it doesn't quite equal a V8's output, I think Honda made the right move....I still don't see the need for a V8. IMO it would be a waste of company time and resources. And an even more powerful 305 HP 3.7L V6 is coming in November with the SH-AWD version...one more reason a V8 isn't needed. Acura has done a good job of filtering out torque steer with the TL's FWD setup.....and with the AWD version, of course, that won't be an issue at all.

The 5-speed sequential-Shift automatic, likewise, was smooth, quiet, silky, and responsive, whether left in full-auto mode or shifted manually with the crisp-feeling paddle-shifters. There is no manual-shift function for the shift lever; you pull it back from "D" to "S" for "Sport"and then use the paddles. I believe that the paddles will override the lever if you leave it in "D" and use them, but I don't remember them responding like that. Yes, it can be argued that some competitors in this price range have 6-speed automatics, but I didn't notice any problems or too-wide gaps in the gearing with the 5-speed. IMO, just adding more gears to the transmission for the sake of more gears would be overkill. However, in some cars, 5 speeds aren't enough.....the old Lexus IS300, IMO, had too wide a spacing between 4th and 5th. Adding a gear and respacing the ratios a little, in that car, would have been beneficial, but I didn't see any problem in the new TL. The ratios are fine with the 5 present gears. And, to top it off, the shift lever itself was not only well-designed and made with good materials, but also precise, slick, and smooth in its operation.

The drivetrain was not the only smooth, slick feature in this car....the handling, steering, and brakes all had a buttery-smooth but firm feel as well. The only fly in the handling ointment was steering that was a little overboosted, especially at low speeds, from its electric power-steering motor. But steering response was very quick for a FWD mid-sized sedan, though not quite as darty-quick as the FWD Nissan Maxima a few weeks ago. Cornering, likewise was responsive by nose-heavy FWD standards, with little body roll. Ride quality, though just a little stiffer than my tastes generally run, was a good mixture of smooth, firm comfort and the steering control needed for a sports sedan. Bumps were felt, but not particularly harshly. Road and tire noise, though, while not objectionably loud, was noticeable at cruise speeds. Acura needs to put a little more insulation in the wheel wells, and the poor-grade trunk carpet that I mentioned above probably doesn't help absorb much rear tire noise, either.

Brake-pedal feel was superb; as good, if not better, than the superb pedal-feel of the Dodge Challenger a few days ago and on some BMW's I've driven. Ironically, unlike most cars, the new TL uses larger (13.2" solid) rotors in back than it does in front (12.6" ventilated). These brakes are not Brembos, and Brembos are not planned for the upcoming SH-AWD version either, but they felt as good as any Brembos I've sampled, if not quite as strong in stopping power. There is virtually no slop in the pedal, with right-now responsiveness and total freedom from sponginess. And the pedal is well-placed for my big size-15 clown-shoes...no interference or hang-ups going from gas to brake pedal or vice-versa.

THE VERDICT:

By now you get the impression that I am generally pleased with this car, and you are right. It is a pleasure to drive, and, just as important, to sit in and enjoy the new interior after the disappointment I found inside the new TSX. For the most part, Acura got it right this time around. The new TL, IMO, measures up very well against both its FWD, RWD, and AWD competition....and, of course, an AWD version is on the way.

A few things, of course, need work. The chassis needs a little more insulation from road/tire noise. The power steering needs a little less boost from the electric motor. Put some decent carpeting in the trunk....and give it a real spare tire. While the Bozo-Clown grille is a matter of individual taste, I wouldn't mind seeing it go. And toss those big underhood plastic covers where they belong....in the trash. They are preposterous, and an insult to a car owner.

But, all in all, a good way to spend 38-40K....I've seen lots worse. This car gets a high recommendation from me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-09 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 06:30 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate the new front ends, especially the grill that honda/acura make for all of there models that are coming out!
Old 09-24-08, 06:34 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Another great review!

Seems like the TL remains a solid car, but the exterior styling is one of the more polarizing features.

Quick question, is the nav **** the same one found in the RL? Also, you're planning on doing another review when the SH-AWD version comes out right?
Old 09-24-08, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS430V8
i hate the new front ends, especially the grill that honda/acura make for all of there models that are coming out!
I agree. Like I spelled out above, those new Acura grilles look like a grinning clown in a circus.
Old 09-24-08, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Mike since the car is just huge, as big as a RL, do u see it more a ES and Lincoln MKS competition etc, than 3/IS competition?

Old 09-24-08, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE]=Allen K;3864526]Another great review!

Thanks.

Seems like the TL remains a solid car, but the exterior styling is one of the more polarizing features.
Look for some aftermarket front grille designs to spring up to replace the stock ones with.

Quick question, is the nav **** the same one found in the RL? Also, you're planning on doing another review when the SH-AWD version comes out right?
No, the NAV **** is not as large, hefty, or solid as the one on the RL. It is one of the VERY few things inside the car that, IMO, could be replaced.

I might go and test-drive an AWD in November, but if anything, I'll just do a quick update to this review. I see no reason to do another whole review.......it will be the same car, except for some small differences in power and handling.
Old 09-24-08, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike since the car is just huge, as big as a RL,
It's not quite the size of the RL. A new RL was parked right next to the TL I drove today. The difference is not that great, but noticeable.

do u see it more a ES and Lincoln MKS competition etc, than 3/IS competition?
The Lincoln MKS, being a flagship, is in a higher price and market-segment bracket than the TL. The TL, IMO, more closely competes with the Lincoln MKZ.

As far as the ES goes, it's roughly in the ES's price bracket, but the ES is clearly more comfort-oriented and less driver-centered than the TL. The new ES350, of course, is firmer-riding than the ES330 it replaces, but still clearly outdoes the TL in ride comfort over bumps. The TL, in turn, trumps the ES on handling and steering response. Some of the Lexus guys may not want to hear this, but, IMO, the new 2009 TL also trumps the ES350 (but not the old ES330) on build quality.

As far as the IS goes, the TL roughly competes with it, price-wise (except for the IS-F) but the IS is smaller, RWD, far more cramped inside, especially in the back seat, and is generally more agile than the TL in sharp corners....more like a BMW 3-series.
Old 09-24-08, 07:05 PM
LexFather

^^^ I understand that Mike but with the price going up and the size going up and styling that is just ghastly (IMO), do you think this will attract a different buyer than the last TL? I think so.

Your review is very good, what we expect really from Acura, a solid car, just nothing breathtaking or "oh wow".

Old 09-24-08, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ I understand that Mike but with the price going up and the size going up and styling that is just ghastly (IMO), do you think this will attract a different buyer than the last TL? I think so.
See my reply to Allen K.........I think we will see aftermarket-fitted grilles to replace that comical stock one.

As far as attracting significantly different buyers, no, I don't think so. Those who were at home in the last TL, especially the Tye-S, will probably be at home in this one, too.

Your review is very good, what we expect really from Acura, a solid car, just nothing breathtaking or "oh wow".
Thanks. Like you, I don't just slap reviews together....a full-length one usually takes me a number of hours to do.

Solid it is. Breathtaking? I agree with you...not in the classic sense of the word, but it is a jewel of a piece of engineering.
Old 09-24-08, 07:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review! I haven't seen the new TL in real life yet. Seems like a winner (even though they've increased the size).
Old 09-24-08, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks for the review!
Sure. Anytime.

I haven't seen the new TL in real life yet. Seems like a winner (even though they've increased the size).
It's not really that big of a car, by American standards, but it's certainly big enough that you have a nice, substantial feeling driving it while cruising.........while not too big to have some agility.
Old 09-24-08, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

It's not really that big of a car, by American standards, but it's certainly big enough that you have a nice, substantial feeling driving it while cruising.........while not too big to have some agility.
2009 RL vs TL
Wheelbase 110.2 vs 109.3
Length 195.8 vs 195.5
Width 72.7 vs 74
Height 57.2 vs 57.2
Weight Distribution 58/42 vs 61/39
Passenger Volume 99.1 vs 98.2
Trunk room 13.1 vs 13.1

2008 TL
Wheelbase 107.9
Length 189.3
Width 72.2
Height 56.7
Weight Distribution 62/38
Passenger Volume 97.9
Trunk room 12.5

2002 TL
Wheelbase 108.1
Length 192.5
Width 70.7
Height 53.7
Passenger Volume 96.5
Trunk room 14.7

1997 TL
Wheelbase 111.8
Length 191.7
Width 70.9
Height 55.7
Weight Distribution 60/40
Passenger Volume 94.7
Trunk room 14.1

Wow, they are identical in size pretty much. The TL is very wide, trunk room didn't grow and its 6 inches longer yet passenger room only grew 0.3 cubes???? Weight distribution is a continued joke.

Those are very big cars. Only the LS/7/S etc are bigger for the most part.

IMO, the TL continues to blend sport/luxury and being like the ES, for the American market, even if it is sportier. I am sure it will please a lot of people, its comfy, has nice features, power and size.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-08 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-24-08, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

2009 RL vs TL
Wheelbase 110.2 vs 109.3
Length 195.8 vs 195.5
Width 72.7 vs 74
Height 57.2 vs 57.2
Weight Distribution 58/42 vs 61/39
Passenger Volume 99.1 vs 98.2
Trunk room 13.1 vs 13.1

2008 TL
Wheelbase 107.9
Length 189.3
Width 72.2
Height 56.7
Passenger Volume 97.9
Trunk room 12.5

Wow, they are identical in size pretty much. The TL is very wide, trunk room didn't grow and its 6 inches longer yet passenger room only grew 0.3 cubes???? Weight distribution is a continued joke.

Those are very big cars. Only the LS/7/S etc are bigger for the most part.

IMO, the TL continues to blend sport/luxury and being like the ES, for the American market, even if it is sportier. I am sure it will please a lot of people, its comfy, has nice features, power and size.

I'll stop by my guy and check it out hopefully Sunday or so...with my puke bag in hand.
Well, of course, numbers don't lie....I'll accept your figures. Parked side-by-side on the lot today , the RL seemed a little larger, but, of course, it could be an illusion on my part. It's interesting that today, you are emphasizing the RL's "bigness".....in the past, you've remarked on how "small" it was.

Before you stop at your local Acura shop, make sure that they have some new TL's first....not every dealership may have them yet. The first one in our area just came in yesterday.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-08 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 09:39 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I really wish I could like the looks of this car. It almost seems like Acura designed the grill independently and crammed it down the car designer's throat.
Old 09-24-08, 09:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So brake feel was great, but how was brake fade? Did you happen to test braking after several repeated stops? Most new Honda and Acura models seem to have some major brake fade problems.

Also with regards to the metal trim in the interior, how reflective was in? It looks like it will reflect a lot of light and provide too much glare in sunny conditions.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Acura TL