Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next gen Escalade may be GMC Acadia based

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 06:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Next gen Escalade may be GMC Acadia based

Why not? Cadillac's breakout hit began life as a gussied-up Chevy Tahoe. How big a hit? Word is that Cadillac paid off tooling for the current Escalade just three months after it went on sale. And that's why the division can consider a new SUV -- okay, a crossover SUV -- just as it's putting the big DT7 DTS/STS sedan convergence on ice for a year.

The fact that the Lambda platform already is over-subscribed, with the Chevrolet Traverse, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave is why a Cadillac version makes economic sense. And since GM had considered, but cancelled, a V-8-powered Enclave Super, we know a Lambda Escalade will easily package a V-8, in this case a small block, since the Northstar replacement that was supposed to power the Enclave Super also has been cancelled.

If the Lambda Escalade gets the green light, look for much different sheetmetal than any of the current models. It would have to be CTS-edgy, making the Cadillac as distinctive as the Lincoln MKT is from the Ford Flex. And with all this canceling going on, you'd think that the Escalade EXT would be doomed. You'd be wrong: GM also is rumored to be considering a unibody pickup as hinted by the GMC Denali XT concept, to replace the EXT and Chevy Avalanche.
http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...ade/index.html
Old 09-08-08, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Meh, I like big huge, brash, chromey Escalades I would never set foot in

Don't small size it

Old 09-08-08, 07:42 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it make more sense if this was the next Cadillac SRX?
Old 09-08-08, 10:46 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Don't small size it
Me too! Most buyers of vehicles like the LX and Escalade usually have high incomes. I think the LX income level is the highest of any Toyota/Lexus customer at around $340,000 per year according to the Toyota/Lexus press release. Most of these buyers have the money for large gas guzzling monsters.

Motor trend or someone broke the rumor that likely the next gen tahoe, yukon will become body on frame designs to help cut fuel consumption.
Old 09-08-08, 11:38 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Don't small size it
+1

Escalades are all about BIG

big wheels, big trunk, big bling, big ego, big d*ck that the drivers wish they have

dont downsize it, or ull mess up the gangsta image that it took a long time to create
Old 09-08-08, 11:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sure, they can downsize it, but will Shaq and Kobe FIT in it?

If not, they'll just go out and get Navigators.....until Ford downsizes THEM, too.
Old 09-08-08, 11:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Wouldn't it make more sense if this was the next Cadillac SRX?
To you or me, yes, but with the new CAFE rules coming up, I'm afraid it's going to be smaller and lighter for a lot of larger SUV's. My guess is that the next SRX will be on the current GM Equinox/Torrent/Vitara platform, or possibly a spinoff of the new upcoming Chevy Traverse.
Old 09-09-08, 05:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Arcadia platform will be an excellent choice for the New Escalade. I love the look! The Arcadia is by no means small and can fit anyone over 6 ft front & rear with ease. I had the pleseure of driving one along with the current Escalade, Yukon.. The Arcadia is a better drive imo.. Seems like the fuel efficient Vette LS small block motors will be the v8 of choice for GM
Old 09-09-08, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Arcadia platform will be an excellent choice for the New Escalade. I love the look! The Arcadia is by no means small and can fit anyone over 6 ft front & rear with ease. I had the pleseure of driving one along with the current Escalade, Yukon.. The Arcadia is a better drive imo..
Haven't driven the Acadia, but, based on my review of the sister Buick Enclave on the same platform, I'd have to agree. The current Escalade, while plush and soft-riding, is essentially a reconfigured truck.....with truck handling.
Old 09-09-08, 09:24 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Well for those that don't know, the Acadia and related vehicles are basically the same size as the Tahoe which the Escalade is based on. Not much of a downsize if at all but it is lower to the ground.

It makes perfect sense. Im all for it.
Old 09-09-08, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Well for those that don't know, the Acadia and related vehicles are basically the same size as the Tahoe which the Escalade is based on. Not much of a downsize if at all but it is lower to the ground.
Not really. The Acadia/Enclave/Outlook platform is not only smaller than the Tahoe platform, but of lighter-grade construction as well. The Tahoe, like the larger Suburban, is essentially a redone Silverado pickup truck, with a full ladder-truck frame. The Acadia is car-based, has a lighter unibody frame, and, not surprisingly, drives more car-like.
Old 09-09-08, 02:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. The Acadia/Enclave/Outlook platform is not only smaller than the Tahoe platform, but of lighter-grade construction as well. The Tahoe, like the larger Suburban, is essentially a redone Silverado pickup truck, with a full ladder-truck frame. The Acadia is car-based, has a lighter unibody frame, and, not surprisingly, drives more car-like.

^^^ Yes. I am completely aware that the Escalade is built on a truck platform while the Acadia is car based. So naturally the current Escalade will appear to be much taller, wider and bigger. However as I stated the dimensions of the two vehicles are actually very similar. The Escalade being only inches bigger on the outside, but much smaller on the inside. Which is why I feel like it is a good move. The size of the vehicle is still there, yet it weighs hundreds of pounds less.

Code:
          Acadia         Escalade

Length      200.70          202.0
Width       78.2             79.0
Height      72.8             74.3
Wheelbase   118.9           116.0

As you can see the Escalade is only inches bigger, but the Acadia has a slightly longer wheelbase.

GM is the KING of rebadges. Throw on a huge grill, give it some big wheels, ugly chrome trim and you'd barely know the difference.

As far as it being a lighter grade structure, how many owners are taking advantage of that latter frame set up?? Less than 10% I believe was the statistic when the Escalade was remodeled. You can option one with low profile tires!!

Last edited by GFerg; 09-09-08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 07:31 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Acadia is car-based, has a lighter unibody frame, and, not surprisingly, drives more car-like.
But its still quite heavy.
Old 09-09-08, 07:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
But its still quite heavy.
An AWD Acadia weighs close to 5,000 lbs. SUV's aren't my cup of tea, but that does seem pretty heavy.
Old 09-09-08, 08:26 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
An AWD Acadia weighs close to 5,000 lbs. SUV's aren't my cup of tea, but that does seem pretty heavy.
A 7 passenger Highlander weighs 4000 lbs, hybrid 4500 lbs. so yeah definately. Yikes.