Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

745 Li or S500?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 05:08 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 745 Li or S500?

I am in the market for a car. My choices are 2002+ BMW 745 Li (first) or 2001+ Mercedes S500 (second). If anyone own these cars, I would like to get some input.

1. Difference between the 745 Li and 745I?
2. How reliable are these cars, do they break down alot: transmissoin problems etc.?
3. Is it okay to buy one if it is a little over 100k mileage?

Any pointers?
Old 09-08-08, 05:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly you might have more luck at a BMW or Mercedes forum, but from what I know you'll be choosing from the lesser of two evils based on your questions. Neither is even remotely reliable, both have been prone to several different problems, both are extremely expensive to repair, and I wouldn't own either out of warranty...let alone 100K.

Ever thought about an LS or A8?
Old 09-08-08, 05:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by saelee39

2. How reliable are these cars, do they break down alot: transmissoin problems etc.?

Any pointers?
Based on your questions. I would go for neither. I think these cars suffer because of long reliability issues.

LS430 is very good bet. I would go for 03+
Old 09-08-08, 05:27 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Based on your questions. I would go for neither. I think these cars suffer because of long reliability issues.

LS430 is very good bet. I would go for 03+
+1. The LS430 is going to cost you far less in the long run. The other two are nice cars but you should be willing to pay dearly when problems arise (and they will).

What is your budget?
Old 09-08-08, 05:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If you are going for soething that unreliable, you might as well go for the MOST unreliable and get the jag haha
Old 09-08-08, 05:41 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I would stay FAR AWAY from both of those cars
Old 09-08-08, 05:59 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Good grief, sure a bunch of S and 7 posts going on. The S is a marvelous car and the 7 isn't far behind. At least until the new 7 arrives. My GS will be replaced by most likely a 7. And as much as I value a drivers car, if I were buying used, I would go for an LS. Maybe that seems idiotic and you could have a wonderful experience with any car but if I were buying used, I would go for the LS even though it isn't on your list and won't provide things the S or 7 will.

The 7 has flirted with sporadically getting up on CRs recommended list as they improve the 7 reliability but the S, and the A8, have awful reliability. I know, I know, somebody is going to post how they have had an A8 for 15 years, done one oil change, and have had zero problems after 1,876,437 miles, but you are the exception.

It is just too frustrating, and expensive, to have these wonderful cars and get fed up with the bills. Oh, and the Lexus isn't going to be any better than the others if you get one that has problems. It is just that your chance of getting one that will give you problems is remarkably low. I recently went through this with a friend who actually does make a good living but is cheap. Not thrifty or frugal, cheap. Well he has begun thinking about a luxury car and we went over some experiences with bimmer and Lexus and he was starting to warm up to Lexus. Then I told him that I just had the 90K mile checkup with timing belt package including water pump done and it was $2400. I also told him that the GS headlight assembly on my 2k1, as I am sure many of you know, is a solid unit with the high and low beam and when mine was replaced under warranty, the bill was $1200 for one side. So, while Lexus is the way to go, don't assume you are driving a Corolla. If you need repairs or have Lexus do the service, it won't be very much different than the others.

All right, now everyone who does their own oil change and doesn't believe in any other maintenance can chime in. Of course you can do your own maintenance and save bucks if you have the skills and time. I've gotten out of that form of entertainment.
Old 09-08-08, 06:10 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
If you are going for soething that unreliable, you might as well go for the MOST unreliable and get the jag haha
I think the L indicates long wheelbase BMW. I have driven a 2003 & a 2007 7series both are the most annoying vehicles I have ever driven because they are impossible to drive smoothly. Starting off, shifting, braking, ride comfort, stopping, and throttle response are abrupt & jerky.
The S-class MBZ is the complete opposite, I test drove new 2000,01 & 02's daily looking for imperfections & never found any in the S class. In 2003 MBZ made the "Command" system more complicated & had numerous problems with it. I think this was the main cause of the new unreliable reputation.
I bought a 1999 XJR Jag in 2003 with 101,000 miles on it because IMO it drives better & looks better than the BMW or MBZ. Put 40,000 miles on it only 1 problem: fuel pumps quit pumping, $ 362 per pump, dealer charged $1,500 total to replace. After 4 years I would have bought a lower milage Jag but was afraid of gas prices going up so bought my IS350
Old 09-09-08, 12:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by saelee39
I am in the market for a car. My choices are 2002+ BMW 745 Li (first) or 2001+ Mercedes S500 (second). If anyone own these cars, I would like to get some input.

Any pointers?
I would not buy either one if it is out of warranty. Both are well-below average in reliability, according to Consumer Reports.

If you want to take a chance even with poor reliability, you will find the 745 to be slightly more of a drivers' car in the steering and chassis. It handles more crisply than the (non-AMG) S-Class, but the S-Class has marvelous ride and is a true luxury car. Both of them have what I consider frustrating and complex I-Drive-type controllers...and are loaded with high-tech devices (overloaded, IMO).
The 745L, as noted above, is a long-wheelbase version.

If you live in bad-weather area, I would also check out the competing Audi A8. The 7-series does not offer AWD; the S-class does in some models, but the Audi Quattro is a superior AWD system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-09-08 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-09-08, 06:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the Edmunds owner reviews on both cars

2001 S500

Vehicle

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Review

There too many thing that can be discussed about this truly remarkable piece of art. Great Job MB!

Favorite Features

Distronic, AMG Sport Package, Excellent Handling, Unbelievable gas mileage, quality craftsmanship, COMFORT! Extraordinary FEEL & COMFORT!

Suggested Improvements

For the vehicle of this class - probably no suggestions! Beautiful car! http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/...Mercedes-Benz*
2002 bmw 745
Vehicle

2002 BMW 7 Series 745Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Review

I expected to be driving a 2001 S600 or maybe a Lexus two months ago. But after test drives I found nothing comes close to the 745Li in comfort (luxury seat pkg w/ massage), and sheer pleasure to drive. The car does everything I ask of it. The iDrive is not as intuitive as it could be but there is often more than one way to do something eg change radio stations/CD to radio by voice, a/c by dash buttons, etc. Once I got a couple of free hours to read the manual w/o the usual kid and other distractions it was fairly easy. The 6yr/100k mile warranty was appealing as well. I do wonder why BMW discontinued the infinitely variable intake manifold in the 2006 745s.

Favorite Features

The sheer joy of driving it

Suggested Improvements

More seat adjustment and climate options/controls for rear passengers, rear cooler and steptronic in US http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/7series/2...index...1.BMW*
Do your full research.. Good luck
Old 09-09-08, 08:23 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I ....but the S-Class has marvelous ride and is a true luxury car. Both of them have what I consider frustrating and complex I-Drive-type controllers...and are loaded with high-tech devices
Minor note. The 2002+ S500 does not have an I-Drive type controller. The current (post 2007) S550 does but that is not the model the OP is asking about.

Chris
Old 09-09-08, 08:35 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about an Audi A8L? And are you looking for a S500 lwb?
Old 09-09-08, 09:19 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

If I were to get a German car, it would only be a lease, under one of those maintenance inclusive programs. I would NEVER own one out of warranty, and especially over 100k. Why do you think they're selling it?
Old 09-09-08, 09:26 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I would get a Lexus as well. I am leaning back towards Japanese cars more and more. The problems I keep reading about BMW's is overwhelming. The 335 has two major issues now. Those are fuel pumps and oil cooler(overheating) problems. I would not be excited to own a German car with 100,000 miles on it. You can probably get one at a severe discount but it doesn't make it a good deal.
Old 09-09-08, 10:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
What about an Audi A8L? And are you looking for a S500 lwb?
There was only the lwb in the US

Like what most say when it comes to German cars: buy the latest you can afford

Both of these cars are dirt cheap right now, but don't think their maintenance is proportional to their value. It's still expensive as hell to maintain/repair.

The good thing with BMW with the extended manufacture/maintenance warranty is you're covered.

If you're going for the s class, go for 2003+ with their minor facelift and nav system upgrade (2004 for dvd based). Try to find one with the AMG sport package because stock won't be exciting.
Granted my 01 s class had little nagging issues, it's been fine (for mb standards).
Go to mbworld.org (w220) section and read up on them

The 2002 7 series extended their warranty to 100k miles

Between these, I'd go for the A8L

Quick Reply: 745 Li or S500?