Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 12:33 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

There are rumors, and some photographic indication, that forthcoming Lexus models will be appearing without a touchscreen, and instead use some sort of controller. Yes, this brings up scary visions of iDrive/MMI/COMAND...but how about hypothesizing on what the end result be like? First, some possible indicators:

According to industry insider James Fabin:

http://community.myride.com/kickapps...1282/3898.html

Originally Posted by James Fabin
The interior of the RX will be all new – the dash pushed much farther forward to open up the cabin. The LCD screen is also being super sized to a whopping 9 inches! Now that caused a problem – the LCD was too far away to reach. So Lexus did a lot of research and came up with a very Apple like answer. The next RX WILL (yes WILL, not might or should) have a touch-pad located between the front two seats (near todays cup holders) that navigates a pointer on the larger 9 inch main screen. It's like reaching down to grab your mouse on your computer – easy to do without looking at where your fingers are.
OTOH, a Lexus Cambridge factory poster on CL in the 2010 RX thread, who apparently has seen the next RX, wrote:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357202

Originally Posted by Amac
It is not a touchpad or virtual touch screen. You could however call it a joystick, or mouse. It is in the location of where a BMW idrive controller would be. It does not look ugly or interfere with the gear selector either. It is a slick system, and works really well.

[...]

We are going to be building our own test models in the coming weeks on the factory lines. The production of the 2010 model starts in January '09.
There is no doubt, there is no touch screen. The screen is pushed so far up and away into the dashboard it is not reachable anymore. I am not basing this on my opinion, or speculation. I have been working in and around the new model, and can tell you 100% it is gone.I find the touchscreen on the current generation good, but it is much more comfortable for smaller drivers to operate via a console control than reaching towards the screen. Many Lexus RX drivers are women and Toyota listens to them(thats what the engineers tell us any way.)
The control on the new S class Mercedes is the closest thing I can find on the internet that resembles the new RX navigation system. I dont know how this Mercedes system works, but looks to have the same sort of joystick-mouse control. The New RX navigation screen also has a large hood over it.
Anyhow, both sources say that A) the RX new screen is moved far forward and B) some sort of controller is being placed lower to navigate.

And, look at the progression of the LF-A interior, from a more button-laden layout with an upright hidden possible touchscreen to one pushed far forward with perhaps a controller.

One thing, Lexus interiors have been known for their ergonomics, a controller could reduce the plethora of buttons on new models.

The LF-Xh recent concept hints at a more dash-forward design.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a poll on how much touchscreens are wanted...
Old 08-24-08, 12:36 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh please keep it touch screen, I find that people who use dials to navigate generally pay less attention on the road compared to touch screen.
Old 08-24-08, 12:52 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Oh please keep it touch screen, I find that people who use dials to navigate generally pay less attention on the road compared to touch screen.
Disagree. All of the competition has these dials now and for Toyota not to offer it on its Lexus brand....it make Lexus uncompetitive with regards to that feature or part. IMO the key is to have it move dial/touch screen/buttons...this way the driver can use it anyway they want.

Toyota made a calculated mistake by not offering the dial on the Lexus Ls460 when introduced and I believe now of their products offer it.

But for Toyota not to offer it on their new Lexus models would be a disaster.

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-24-08 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-24-08, 05:20 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Just because the competition offers a dial of some sort does not mean it is better. I have only had my Audi A8L for 3 weeks now but I can tell you some things would be so much easier if the screen were a touchscreen. I have gotten used to the MMI system and it is very good, but I wish the car had MMI AS WELL AS a touchscreen setup. That would be a perfect combination in my mind.
Old 08-24-08, 06:51 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why do car makers have to go backwards? buttons are so 20th century

provide a touchscreen, laptop mousepad close to armrest, and some buttons. problem solved.

imagine using an ATM without a touch screen, and just the keypad.
how slow would that be......

stupid car designers. always adding form over function.
Old 08-24-08, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
imagine using an ATM without a touch screen, and just the keypad.
how slow would that be......
Don't have to imagine, do it all the time. I don't have to look through a haze of fingerprints or 'calibrate' my touches for the fact that I'm taller than average.
Old 08-24-08, 08:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Hmm... maybe BMW, Audi, MB were right after all, even if their initial implementations were weak.

I think the touch screen is what hurts the LS interior - that screen has to be kept close enough to the driver to reach which makes it seem less spacious.
Old 08-24-08, 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

it makes sense for SUV's... who knows really - we need more info to judge.
Old 08-24-08, 09:25 AM
jblackbelt
Rookie

when i look at it, the lexus interface works great, as long as your not moving, and its loved by every car mag out there it seems. however, i must say i love my idrive in the 6 more (just the fact i can use it whenever i want is a plus) and i am able to use it a lot easier than the rx touchscreen. i think it may be time for lexus to try a new system (hopefully they will listen and make it useable 100% of the time) and im interested to see how this turns out.
Old 08-24-08, 11:44 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

when i hear "mouse" like, that really scares me. i hope they dont make it hideous.

a **** is the best bet, but if they make it with a ****, haters would think its a copy of the idrive/command/mmi
Old 08-24-08, 11:56 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hmm... maybe BMW, Audi, MB were right after all, even if their initial implementations were weak.
Funny thing is, VW, owner of Audi, has implemented touchscreens in its lineup and gotten praise for the design, for instance in the current Passat. They are reportedly working on 'tactile' touchscreens which simulate feel.
Old 08-24-08, 01:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

forget the ****.
make a spinwheel like the ipod.

and i would like a touch screen that i don't have to push so hard on.
I think the lexus touch screen requires a little too much force.

i want the new ATM style light feather touch/tap screens.
Old 08-24-08, 02:06 PM
LexFather

Hmmm, a mouse but not a ****. Lexus engineers have stated in the past they will not use any kind of **** b/c its counter-intuitive to the driver. It just complicates things.

I want to say everyone BUT Lexus and maybe Caddy has some sort of "****" in at least one vehicle in the lineup.

Lexus interiors and ergonomics are pretty much class leading and/or share the top spot with Audi. Audi cannot match the ergonomics. Lexus MAJOR issue with some owners is you cannot use the NAV while driving, thus people have to override it.

Old 08-24-08, 02:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

would be interesting to see if (and how) they implement the mouse setup

been there tried with with the idrive type setup on the 7 and s class. it's not as bad as just a pure silly joystick or 4 arrow buttons, but i still very much prefer the touch screen on lexus
Old 08-24-08, 02:45 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus interiors and ergonomics are pretty much class leading and/or share the top spot with Audi. Audi cannot match the ergonomics. Lexus MAJOR issue with some owners is you cannot use the NAV while driving, thus people have to override it.
Yes - if only Lexus would (officially) allow the Navigation touch screen to be used in motion that would change the equation significantly. I live with both a touch screen on our RX and the MB dial controller on our S600 and though MB has achieved a good balance between "dial only" functions and duplicating the most commonly used functions as actual switches, some features on the dial only controller can be distracting.

Which raises an important aspect of dial/mouse controllers that is rarely mentioned - they make much more sense when operating within the context of the various radar and other warning sensors now appearing on more expensive vehicles. On our S-Class, even if distracted using the dial interface, the cars distronics radar will sound an alarm if I am closing on a vehicle too quickly and prep the brakes. Blind spot assist warns against side collisions helps also. (Not sure of there is a similar radar warning on the LS460?) These features change the usability equation radically because of the greater confidence you have from a situational awareness POV. The first generation **** (I-Drive) controllers did not have any of these supporting safety aids, but I think that **** controllers are quite viable control interfaces within the context of a total system of drivers aids - passive and active.

Chris

Quick Reply: New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?