Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General comparison: Lexus IS250 vs Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 01:19 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default General comparison: Lexus IS250 vs Acura TSX

I expect this forum to largely favor the IS which I don't mind but I'd like to see logical reasoning as to why you feel one is superior to the other all things considered. I don't consider badge prestige to be a real factor, either... let's just talk about what you're physically getting for the money. I understand one is a Euro accord chassis and one is a shortened 3GS chassis but in the end what's that really going to translate for me? FWD vs RWD, sure. What else?

I've driven both but my drive in the IS250 was 2 years ago back before I had even decided on my Audi A4 so it's very hard for me to really remember what it was like and compare it to my more recent TSX drive.

In my mind I always thought they were fairly close price-wise but some recent comparison shopping on the 'net has shown otherwise.

The IS250 with leather, xenon, auto, nav, and levinson is $40,275 vs TSX with technology package is $32,820. That's a difference of $7455 or IOW the IS250, comparably equipped, is 22.7% more expensive! And that's assuming Lexus doesn't raise their prices for 2009 any since I'm comparing the 2008 IS to the 2009 TSX. It looks like the IS250 is priced more like the 2009 Acura TL, in reality.

Now it's really hard to look at these two cars strictly in terms of which is better because that's a pretty huge price gap.

Off the top of my head a few things I noticed:
-TSX is missing push button/keyless start and cooled seats and is missing a gear compared to the IS.
-IS250 is missing satellite radio (port installed option... another 400+ dollars), HD Radio, USB MP3 player input (this is very important to me).
-TSX seemed roomier, especially in the back. I haven't compared specs, that's just the impression I got.
-TSX's nav screen is bigger and nav system is easier to use for me
-IS250's engine is a bit smoother by nature being a V6 instead of an I4, though performance-wise they're both about the same feeling and fuel economy is pretty much the same... 0.5 mpg average in TSX's favor.
-IS250 seems a bit quieter but rides a bit rougher
-TSX interior looks more modern and is layed out in a more comfortable way for me but the IS seems to have nicer and better put together materials
-Lexus reliability has been consistently better than Acura's
-However Lexus service costs are higher, at least around here. Also I get the feeling I'm going to have an easier time bringing a TSX to an independent Honda mechanic than I am bringing an IS250 to an independent Toyota mechanic.

Those are just some observations of mine.

I THINK that if the IS250 was the same price as the TSX, I'd go IS250 all things considered... but 23% is hard to overlook.

I'm going to be really watching hard for the real world results of Acura bringing their diesel to the TSX... original reports were saying something crazy like 54mpg highway. If that ends up being true and they don't stick a big price premium on it then I may be sold already.

Last edited by Threxx; 08-22-08 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 01:24 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Unless you special order, you are going to be hard pressed to find a 250 with the ML system. After haggling a bit you can get the 250 1-3 thousand more than the TSX.

Comparing the new TSX to the 250, I just don't like the way it looks. The interiors are pretty much on par, but I prefer the touchscreen layout. Everything else I can get over

Both are about as solid as they come though.

Re: the service. There are a handful of former Lexus techs going out and creating independent shops now if that's what you'd prefer. Plus, at least in my area, the slight premium for service is worth it because the local Lexus dealers are much nicer than the Acura ones.

Last edited by Allen K; 08-22-08 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 01:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Unless you special order, you are going to be hard pressed to find a 250 with the ML system. After haggling a bit you can get the 250 1-3 thousand more than the TSX.
I'm trying to compare apples to apples by using the TSX tech package to compare to the nav/levinson 250, regardless of how common the combo really is.

The 1-3k more doesn't sound right to me unless the Acura dealers are forcing people to pay sticker and the Lexus dealers are selling at invoice on the 250s, plus they're selling 250s without the lev system (drops almost a grand I think).

I suspect when I get ready to turn in my car in a year whatever premium the TSX was demanding before will no longer be in effect.
Old 08-22-08, 01:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

True, the gap you'll be looking at is probably going to end up being $3-5k since the IS will be nearing the end of the generation's life cycle.
Old 08-22-08, 01:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
True, the gap you'll be looking at is probably going to end up being $3-5k since the IS will be nearing the end of the generation's life cycle.
Yeah that's another thing I've been thinking about. The IS will be a year or two away from entering a new generation when I get ready to buy. On one hand this means they probably should have all the major kinks worked out by then but on the other hand I'm buying a design that's 3 years older than the TSX and will much sooner be an 'older' body style.
Old 08-22-08, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Threxx.....having looked at and reviewed several versions of both the last and present generation models of both cars, I agree with much of what you say.......and I'll add a couple of points.

The IS250, of course, has the option of AWD, but this, of course, adds to the engine's burden/drag and makes it rather sluggish.....about what non-turbo 2.5L Subarus (the same engine size) feel like with their AWD. The AWD also roughens up the IS250's already firm ride even more by increasing the unsprung weight under the suspension. (Lexus, with the second-generation IS, dropped the easier-riding 55-series tires as an option, foolishly IMO). The IS, though, does have a noticeably better paint job than the TSX...and the TSX's paint itself is excellent. And the IS has a back seat that is cramped even for sardines....the TSX's is far better.

With the TSX, though, IMO, the new interior for 2009 is a big disappointment over the 2008 (I had much to say about that in my review), although it is noticeably larger and roomier than the 2008. The good news is that an SH-AWD version of the TSX is supposedly in the works, which will go head to head with the IS250.

There is really very little difference in reliability between the two cars.....both are well-above average, according to Consumer Reports.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-08 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 01:40 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Personally I like the IS better because of the overall feel and layout of the interior. Granted I've only sat in the new TSX for about 5 minutes, but I still preferred the IS. Why not consider another A4? The new body styling is hot
Old 08-22-08, 01:47 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a accord with leather and v6 if ur considering a tsx.
Old 08-22-08, 01:50 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the IS better. I like the old TSX(04-08?), but IMHO I think Acura messed up on this one. They made it bigger, uglier(V-shaped grille), and have made no significant power increases.
Old 08-22-08, 01:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

at this point in my life i just do not concider FWD cars
Old 08-22-08, 04:35 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An IS with a drop + wheels is way sexier than any TSX with a drop and some wheels, and that is without any kinds or any of that mugen crap.

IS is designed with style and art, TSX seems more like a comformity type car, and the new one is just pure "someone's boss let him off the leash" design.
Old 08-22-08, 05:24 PM
LexFather

I think price (perceived value) and room are the main reasons to get the TSX over the IS. It is now substantially bigger. While they "can" be compared, I don't seem them as competition. The TSX continues to be in its own little niche and sales are good thus far. I am curious after a year how sales will be after the 08 models have cleared off dealer lots.

As for the TSX diesel, well the IS220d exists already and it has the most torque in class (295). Not sure of MPG. Lexus will not bring it here, instead focusing on hybrids (not sure if we will get a IS XXX h in the near future).

Old 08-22-08, 05:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Most 08s have been cleared off since earlier this year. If there are any 08s around, there aren't too many and will not affect sales from here on out.
Old 08-22-08, 06:48 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the TSX has bluetooth audio interface (similar to Ford's SYNC) if that matters to you. The TSX's front seats seem pretty darn comfortable and initial forward visibility is better in the TSX than the IS.
Old 08-22-08, 07:10 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle. Like many of the Acura vs. Lexus comparisons, there are pros and cons to each.

In general with the Lexus you're going to get a bit better build quality. With the Acura you're going to get a bit more in the features and gizmos department. And you're going to save some number of thousands of dollars.

Since you don't seem to care about "badge envy", the TSX is probably the superior vehicle, IF you can get over the ugly grille. The IS is perhaps the best-executed L-Finesse design, so even though IS250's are all over the place, at least you'll have a handsome car that no one considers hideous. I don't think I can say that about the TSX any more, sadly...

Quick Reply: General comparison: Lexus IS250 vs Acura TSX