Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 MB E-class: Official or Rendering??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 09:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little cheap black interior buttons must have been on sale when Mercedes was finding suppliers for the interiors on the new C, E, and GLK because...THEY'RE EVERYWHERE IN ALL 3. Awful.

That said, the interior looks better in those shots on the previous page.
Old 08-17-08, 09:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not feeling this one.
Old 08-17-08, 10:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I love analog clocks. Leave the digitals for the midsize family sedans.
Old 08-17-08, 10:41 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Little cheap black interior buttons must have been on sale when Mercedes was finding suppliers for the interiors on the new C, E, and GLK because...THEY'RE EVERYWHERE IN ALL 3. Awful.

That said, the interior looks better in those shots on the previous page.
From the looks of it, this interior seems to be on a much higher quality level than that of the current Lexus GS, which we all worship here.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. Naturally one has to see these cars in real life and up close but I've stated before that from the looks of it, the materials used here are on S class level, which is a very good thing. So basically, the cockpit is looking for good to me.

I understand that we're on a Lexus forum here and that most people will be biased towards Lexus. But I like to think of myself as an objective person and what I see here is an interior that is bound to impress (from what I can see).
Old 08-17-08, 12:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing about Mercedes.. Their doors and trunks close like no other vehicles in the auto industry yes even the current models apply. In a word...solid! A lot of engineering work must have gone into the latches & hinges.. No need to slam the doors or trunks on these cars

Oh.. and those motors in those AMG cars.. Just insane!
Old 08-17-08, 01:26 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I just noticed that the shifter switched places, in the first pictures it is below the radio, the new pictures show it on the steering column like a truck or SUV.
Old 08-17-08, 01:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
From the looks of it, this interior seems to be on a much higher quality level than that of the current Lexus GS, which we all worship here.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. Naturally one has to see these cars in real life and up close but I've stated before that from the looks of it, the materials used here are on S class level, which is a very good thing. So basically, the cockpit is looking for good to me.

I understand that we're on a Lexus forum here and that most people will be biased towards Lexus. But I like to think of myself as an objective person and what I see here is an interior that is bound to impress (from what I can see).
I'll wait to make claims about quality until I can sit in a new E Class, run my fingers over the dash, wood, plastic, leather, seams, etc. Push on the surfaces and see how much give there is, examine contact points between doors and dash, fitment of trim and alignment, and overall execution. I have done that in the GS, and am thoroughly impressed with the quality and overall feel of that interior, except for the center console which slides all too willingly fore and aft.

If the C Class is any indication, then I wouldn't be holding my breath on the interior of the 2010 E. Yes, those pictures make the wood look nice and shiney and you can see some of the details better than the blurry spy photo, but maybe you haven't felt the hard and cheap center console in the new C class...because this doesn't look much different from the air vents down to the cup holders. Grainy black plastic with a sea of little black buttons.

I will also note that I prefer the Lexus design which flows smoothly from the top of the dash down to the gear shifter and has a superb attention to detail on the shape and details of the doors, steering wheel, gauges, and ergonomics. That said, design and quality are two different things. I do not care for the upright and squared off look of the new E Class, but that aside, if it is built like the interior of the C Class then chalk another one up for the 3 year old GS.
Old 08-17-08, 04:29 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Wow I never really noticed the GS interior...but that pic is...uh well...maybe it's just a bad picture. Is that the current gen GS interior?
Old 08-17-08, 04:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I like the GS interior but it is a bit bland. But then so is BMW. ...anything luxury however is an improvement over my Legacy though. Haha. Gotta love fake wood.
Old 08-17-08, 08:28 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wait to make claims about quality until I can sit in a new E Class, run my fingers over the dash, wood, plastic, leather, seams, etc. Push on the surfaces and see how much give there is, examine contact points between doors and dash, fitment of trim and alignment, and overall execution. I have done that in the GS, and am thoroughly impressed with the quality and overall feel of that interior, except for the center console which slides all too willingly fore and aft.
Although my '06 GS430 had no mechanical issues, the build quality left much room for improvement. There were so many rattles on my GS which got progressively worse over the years....very frustrating.

In contrast, my wife's '06 E350 had zero rattles/squeaks during the 2.5 years she drove her car. My current E has been rock solid as well.
Old 08-17-08, 08:35 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

just Ugly!
Old 08-17-08, 08:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Although my '06 GS430 had no mechanical issues, the build quality left much room for improvement. There were so many rattles on my GS which got progressively worse over the years....very frustrating.

In contrast, my wife's '06 E350 had zero rattles/squeaks during the 2.5 years she drove her car. My current E has been rock solid as well.
I think the rattles are somewhat of a different animal, and have really been present in all brands across the board with recent redesigns. I have discussed it at length in another thread, but this is due to the industry decision to move away from heavily vinyl based interior components to those higher in plastics and/or rubbers. This has been mostly due to the environmental concerns over gases released during the casting and finishing process of making vinyl based interior trim pieces.

The GS was the first Lexus to go this route and unfortunately it certainly was the guinea pig. It does seem with recent model years of the GS and IS, these issues are much less wide spread and almost nonexistent from what I have seen. Not trying to make excuses, but all brands have been having these problems and most have had to alter the mixtures and compounds they use to make many interior trim parts in order to allow for more or less expansion which can create rattles.

This isn't an example of poor build quality...more of a change of direction that needed to be perfected. Shiney and brittle feeling plastics and low scale buttons or touch points would be an indicator of low quality...both of which are found on the C Class. Not saying that they will for sure be on the E, but from this picture it does look like they will.

Glad that your E350 has been such a great car . We had a 2003 E320 and absolutely loved it aside from a few little nagging electrical issues.
Old 08-17-08, 10:36 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i like the front, the back looks generic .
Old 08-18-08, 12:20 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yay-Z
holy Hyundai
You aint kidding

That steering wheel is absolutally the ugliest thing Ive ever seen.
Old 08-18-08, 12:27 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the C Class is any indication, then I wouldn't be holding my breath on the interior of the 2010 E. Yes, those pictures make the wood look nice and shiney and you can see some of the details better than the blurry spy photo, but maybe you haven't felt the hard and cheap center console in the new C class...because this doesn't look much different from the air vents down to the cup holders. Grainy black plastic with a sea of little black buttons.

I will also note that I prefer the Lexus design which flows smoothly from the top of the dash down to the gear shifter and has a superb attention to detail on the shape and details of the doors, steering wheel, gauges, and ergonomics. That said, design and quality are two different things. I do not care for the upright and squared off look of the new E Class, but that aside, if it is built like the interior of the C Class then chalk another one up for the 3 year old GS.

I couldn't have said that any better myself. My 99 LS may not have as much wood as the benz, but the wood that is in it looks and feels alot better. Hell even the strip under the vents doesnt feel cheap. All the panels are put together solid and have absolutally no play.

Quick Reply: 2010 MB E-class: Official or Rendering??