Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Highlander gets 2.7l 4cly 187hp/186lbft

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 05:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts
Post Highlander gets 2.7l 4cly 187hp/186lbft

PRESS RELEASE:

August 14, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., announced today that the 2009 Highlander mid-size sport utility vehicle (SUV) will offer an all-new, powerful yet fuel-efficient 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine. When it arrives at dealerships in mid-to-late January, the new Highlander powerplant will be among the best mid-size SUVs in the areas of performance, fuel economy and value.

The new 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine will generate an impressive 187 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 186 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 RPM on regular 87 octane fuel. A dual exhaust manifold will help achieve exceptional low-end torque and maximize its power output. In addition to its performance output, the Highlander equipped with the new four-cylinder will be EPA-rated as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEVII) and is expected to be among the leaders in fuel efficiency in the gas mid-size SUV segment. Official EPA fuel efficiency ratings will be announced closer to launch.

The new four-cylinder engine will be mated to an all-new six-speed electronically-controlled automatic overdrive transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). The new transmission will help deliver quiet and smooth performance on par with a V6 and acceleration that is surprisingly quick for a four-cylinder. When equipped with a tow package, the new powerplant will achieve a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 pounds.

The new engine will come standard on the Highlander grade two-wheel-drive model equipped with two rows of seats, contributing to its excellent value. A third row seat package will also be available for families requiring additional seating capacity. Other key optional equipment will include an eight-way power driver's seat, manual rear air conditioning, and an AM/FM/six-disc CD Changer with satellite radio capability, MP3/WMA capability and six speakers.

With the new four-cylinder engine, Highlander will be the only mid-size SUV in the current market to offer three powerplant choices. The 3.5-liter Highlander V6, available in two- and full-time four-wheel drive, is among the leaders in fuel efficiency among V6 gas engines in its segment. The full-time 4WD-i Highlander Hybrid, equipped with a V6 powerplant with front and rear electric motors, stands above all others for fuel efficiency among all mid-size SUVs.

Since it first launched in 2001, Highlander has been one of Toyota's most popular vehicles, setting the standard for car-based SUVs in innovation, comfort and sales. Driver and passenger comfort is accomplished with segment leading seating versatility through innovative flexible seating functions for up to seven people. Comfort is complemented with one of the highest levels of standard safety features in the small- and mid-size SUV market including a segment-leading total of seven airbags.
boys move fast, eh?
Old 08-15-08, 05:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

that's the motor they should use for the HYBRID version
Old 08-15-08, 05:56 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
Totally agreed. Since Lexus has gone pretty much all performance oriented hybrids they can keep the RXh. The Highlander should be more fuel conscious to keep with the green image of Toyota hybrids. I'm glad they brought the 4 cylinder back though.
Old 08-15-08, 06:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

2.7L I4 with 6AT

I really think this engine and tranny combo will be one of the best out there.
Old 08-15-08, 06:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Agreed. 187hp + 30hp electric motor = 217hp which would be plenty of power for hybrid shoppers, and would probably return upper 20s pretty consistently for gas mileage. Many RX 400hs are 25 or 26MPG combined which makes me think that such a combination should be able to do even better...maybe close to 30MPG.

I hope the Camry Hybrid gets something similar to this at it's refresh, that would be great!
Old 08-15-08, 08:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current Highlander/RX have 60 HP coming out of their electric motors.

I am curious though if the 2.5L V6 would be a more efficient choice, but perhaps not the torquiest.

And when they say impressive acceleration Im willing to be that they actually mean economically minded acceleration.
Old 08-15-08, 08:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Perhaps the Sienna will also see this engine.
Old 08-15-08, 09:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting.

Although I think it will be heavily underpowered, I think it will suffice for a lot of Highlander consumers, who just need a larger vehicle for family transport, but crave gas efficiency.

I'm pretty sure every car magazine will cry madness to have such an underpowered car, but Toyota really has never cared about what magazines say anyways. They care about what consumers want...
Old 08-15-08, 09:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Possibly.. i believe this is the engine headed for the upcoming Venza as well. I wonder if it'll replace the 2.4 across the board. The 2.4 is also in the Camry, Scion tC, xB, Corolla, Matrix, Rav4, etc. Or if the 2.7 is only for the "larger" Highlander/Venza.
Old 08-15-08, 09:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Possibly.. i believe this is the engine headed for the upcoming Venza as well. I wonder if it'll replace the 2.4 across the board. The 2.4 is also in the Camry, Scion tC, xB, Corolla, Matrix, Rav4, etc. Or if the 2.7 is only for the "larger" Highlander/Venza.
The 2.7L is confirmed for the Venza. The highlander is a good bit bigger and heavier than that though, so it might be a slug. Truthfully though, Toyota sold a good number of the 1GEN highlanders with 4cyls and people never complained. The 500lb weight gain might be offset by the additional 33hp and 6at, so for those old owners, it might not be a bad deal.
Old 08-15-08, 09:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
this is the same new AR series double vvti engine going to Venza.

Smaller cars will get 2.5 AR series engines (such as one already announced in Rav4). There will be 2.0 AR series as well for other countries, it is not known if these will end up in some vehicles on US market.

AR series engine is brand new design from Toyota, that replace current AZ series engines. It should be a lot smoother and offer around 10% improvement in mpg while offering 10% more torque and hp than engines they are replacing...
Old 08-15-08, 09:31 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

So the 2.7L won't be available with the AWD?
Old 08-15-08, 09:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

They should bring the 2.0 to the states for the Corolla and maybe the Yaris S. What is the new 1.3 going into?
Old 08-15-08, 09:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
They should bring the 2.0 to the states for the Corolla and maybe the Yaris S. What is the new 1.3 going into?
Corolla has nice new 1.8 ZR series engine.... if anything it will get 2.5l AR for sporty Corolla.
Old 08-15-08, 09:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy101
So the 2.7L won't be available with the AWD?
doesnt seem so... It will probably weight around 3900lbs as it is.

Quick Reply: Highlander gets 2.7l 4cly 187hp/186lbft