Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Truck buyer uses $8,000 in coins ......

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 07:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Truck buyer uses $8,000 in coins ......

Truck buyer uses $8,000 in coins

By Allen Howard
• August 12, 2008

SPRINGDALE – James F. Jones walked into an office at car dealer Jake Sweeney today, plunked down 16 coffee cans of coins and said: “I want that Chevy truck,” pointing to a red, 2008 half-ton Chevrolet Silverado.

The sales staff couldn’t believe he was serious, but Jones, of New Miami in Butler County, was very serious – and he had $8,000 in coins to back him up.

“In my 19 years in this business I have never seen anything like this,” said Biff Arnold, finance manger for Jake Sweeney. “I have seen many buyers come in with a lot of cash money, but never this much money in coins.”

Then the counting began, led by salesman David Crisswell.

“He had dimes, quarters, half dollars, silver and Susan B. Anthony dollars. It took me an hour and a half to count all of it,” Crisswell said.

Crisswell said the Silverado that Jones bought cost $16,000, including taxes and fees. Jones and his wife, Betty, wrote a check for the remainder.

Jones, 70, said he has always kept his personal money in coins because he doesn’t trust banks or paper money.

“Paper money will burn, but it is hard to damage coins. I bought four or five rolls of coins each month. I don’t know how long it took me to save this amount, probably all my life, spending some of it now in then,” said Jones, who retired as an engineer from Fort Hamilton Hospital’s maintenance department in 2003.

Jones’ son Dennis, 49, said that as far back as he can remember, his father always had coins.

“He gave me lunch money in coins and each time he ever gave me money it was in coins,” Dennis Jones said. “I am amazed that we were able to talk him into buying a new truck, because he is pretty tight with his money.”

James Jones had owned a 1981 Chevy pickup, which he kept until January last year. The emergency brake gave out as he walked in front of it while it was idling. The truck ran over him, crushing his liver, kidney and several ribs. He spent months in the hospital recuperating.

“He still wanted to fix up the old truck and keep driving it, but I convinced him to give it up,” said Dennis Jones. “He is in pretty good health now, except he rambles a little when he talks.”
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/308120022
Old 08-14-08, 08:41 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...good thing the coins were in rolls. If they were loose coins...it would've taken way longer than 1 1/2 hours.
Old 08-14-08, 09:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Would've been faster to use this, but I think they charge 10%???:
Imagine getting to 7000 and messing up

Old 08-14-08, 02:55 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“Paper money will burn, but it is hard to damage coins."
He has a valid point here.
Old 08-14-08, 03:09 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kRonX
He has a valid point here.
he bought the wrong metal... should have bought gold.
Old 08-14-08, 11:53 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpOjXOMFkg&