Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti G37 Sedan, G37x Coupe, Convertible (New Top Up Conv. Pics pg. 6)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Infiniti G37 Sedan, G37x Coupe, Convertible (New Top Up Conv. Pics pg. 6)

Nissan Releases New G-Series line

When you have a vehicle line – say the Infiniti G – that has chalked up award after award, topped comparison test after comparison test, and endeared itself to a growing legion of passionate owners, what do you do for an encore? If you happen to be a world-class performance luxury brand – say like Infiniti – the answer is simple: Everything. The popular Infiniti G roars into the 2009 model year with an extensive array of changes, including:

* The addition of an all-new Infiniti G37 Convertible model, slated to launch in the first quarter of 2009
* A new 328-horsepower 3.7-liter V6 engine for the Infiniti G Sedan – now designated the G37 Sedan
* A new all-wheel drive model for the Infiniti G Coupe, the G37x
* A new 7-speed automatic transmission for all Infiniti G models (6-speed manuals transmissions also available)

"A little success makes you want to try harder. A lot of success makes you want to blow the doors off the competition again – which we're poised to do with the new, intensified Infiniti G lineup for 2009," said Ben Poore, Infiniti's vice president of marketing. "Year after year we strive to offer our customers one of the freshest product lineups in the industry – which we've done again in 2009 with the new second-generation Infiniti FX, upcoming G Convertible and the enhanced G37 Coupe and G37 Sedan."

2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible

The all-new G37 Convertible, the first-ever open-air G, is set for a mid-2009 model year introduction. Based on the current G37 Coupe, the G Convertible promises stunningly seductive styling and G-worthy dynamic performance. The new G37 Convertible will feature a three-piece automatic retracting hardtop, to keep a coupe-like roofline, and available unique interior treatment. Audio and HVAC systems have been enhanced to provide an inviting experience with the top up or down. The all-new Infiniti G37 Convertible is set to make its world debut at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

2009 Infiniti G37 Sport Sedan

The Infiniti G premium high-performance sport sedan receives a significant upgrade under the skin in 2009 with the addition of a new VQ37VHR "VVEL" 3.7-liter V6 rated at 328 horsepower. It is mated to a new 7-speed automatic transmission or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission.

Now designated as the Infiniti G37 Sedan, other major changes include new available sport brakes with 4-piston front/2-piston rear calipers and large 14-inch front and 13.8-inch rear rotors, a new sport 18-inch wheel design and standard Scratch Shield paint (self-healing clearcoat finish).

The 2009 G37 Sedan is available in four models – G37, G37 Journey, G37S Sport 6MT and G37x AWD. It goes on sale in September 2008.

2009 Infiniti G37 Sport Coupe

For 2009, the G37 Coupe's performance envelope expands with the addition of a new G37x AWD model with advanced ATESSA E-TSÔ all-wheel drive system. Also new for 2009 is a 7-speed automatic transmission with Drive Sport (DS) Mode and Downshift Rev Matching (the G37 Coupe is also available with a 6-speed manual transmission).

All 2009 G37 Coupes receive standard Scratch Shield paint (self-healing clearcoat finish). The 2009 G37 Coupe is available in four models – G37, G37 Journey, G37S Sport 6MT and G37x AWD – each with standard 330-horsepower 3.7-liter VQ-series V6 with VVEL technology. It goes on sale in September 2008.

[Source: Nissan]
Old 08-07-08, 08:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've gotta hand it to Infiniti. Lexus continues to delay the IS coupe and convertible, and quite honestly at this point it may not even be worth them bothering.

Infiniti has been upping the variations, technology, and power lately, and they're doing a great job
Old 08-07-08, 08:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
You've gotta hand it to Infiniti. Lexus continues to delay the IS coupe and convertible, and quite honestly at this point it may not even be worth them bothering.

Infiniti has been upping the variations, technology, and power lately, and they're doing a great job
+1.......
Old 08-07-08, 08:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep, I would say the IS350 coupe/convertible is too late to be introduced for the current generation ...
Old 08-07-08, 08:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
All 2009 G37 Coupes receive standard Scratch Shield paint (self-healing clearcoat finish)...
I'm actually interested by this...
Old 08-07-08, 08:31 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm happy for Infiniti introudcing all these variations for doing all this and pretty upset there is still no Lexus IS two door anything of that variation, even more so no IS350AWD considering I live in the NE.
Old 08-07-08, 08:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every chance I got I said that Lexus would NOT do an IS type coupe. I still believe that. Lexus has been successful with the sedans and greed is more important than risky endeavors.

Big props to Infiniti. They took chances because they were down. There was no where to go but up. Now it has paid off. They have something in almost every segment and appear to be conquering those where there is nothing. A hard top convert is an excellent way to expand. I went to Audi for a close look at the S5. It is sweet but imo, the G37 is still the better buy....and at the top of my list for my next car.
Old 08-07-08, 09:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As far as I have heard the IS coupe is still coming, it just continually gets delayed.

At this point I just think it may not even be worth it. Why bother when the car is going to have a two or three year run at most?

BMW did theirs a year after the sedan, the CTS coupe is in the wings and the G is going to be here before we know it.

WAKE UP LEXUS
Old 08-07-08, 09:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Well said
WAKE UP LEXUS

If and when they do release, they better blow the doors off to make us wait this long.
Old 08-07-08, 09:28 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Any pics of the convertible?
Old 08-07-08, 09:37 AM
LexFather

One one had, I clap b/c its great to see even more variations of the G37. (I don't call it a "G" b/c that sounds silly, and Pontiacs are also "Gs"). You can pretty much get the car anyway you want, outstanding. The coupe/sedan sells very well, always in the top 5 in class for sales.

Then I think and well the G37 coupe already is 3750 lbs, AWD adds another 2000, you have a 4000lbs coupe that already gets pretty average MPG.
The convertible is a nice addition but the car look very feline to me already, almost like a SC 430 in execution.
THe sedan seems to pick up the same tricks as the coupe, which is a very good thing.

As for the LExus IS coupe, it should debut in Geneva in 09, maybe even Detroit. Though as yall stated, what the hell took so long/??????

Old 08-07-08, 09:42 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Then I think and well the G37 coupe already is 3750 lbs, AWD adds another 2000, you have a 4000lbs coupe that already gets pretty average MPG.
3750 + 2000 = ~4000?

Wow, they let you graduate high school with that?

J/k I am just pulling your legs...
Old 08-07-08, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpower
3750 + 2000 = ~4000?

Wow, they let you graduate high school with that?

J/k I am just pulling your legs...
lol.....thats why I keep a calculator in my pocket

Old 08-07-08, 09:55 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

As far as I have heard the IS coupe is still coming, it just continually gets delayed.

At this point I just think it may not even be worth it. Why bother when the car is going to have a two or three year run at most?

BMW did theirs a year after the sedan, the CTS coupe is in the wings and the G is going to be here before we know it.

WAKE UP LEXUS
Isn't the Infiniti G series pretty late in its run as well? They've just been doing minor facelifts with power bumps to the engine that just get offset by added weight lol.

The Scratch Shield paint does sound interesting though... anyone know anything more about that?
Old 08-07-08, 10:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
Isn't the Infiniti G series pretty late in its run as well? They've just been doing minor facelifts with power bumps to the engine that just get offset by added weight lol.

The Scratch Shield paint does sound interesting though... anyone know anything more about that?
The new G35 sedan came out in 2007 and I think the G37 Coupe was an '08 model if I am not mistaken. IS came out in early '06 and has yet to receive any major upgrades or changes.

Yes, the IS is due for a facelift in 09 and should be released any day now...

...but before the LAUNCH of the second generation IS we had company officials stating that "...the new IS would be come a full range product a la BMW 3 series...there will be an entire range of models..." not to mention that there have been plans ON THE BOARD to build the coupe since very early on. I have seen company forecasts and product timelines and the IS Coupe has been on every single one since 2006 and has never hit the ground or even the auto show circuit.

WHAT GIVES? It's not that hard to reshape the body and chop off two doors when you're still using the same mechanicals and hardware. It's really not.

Yes, we have the IS-F which is a great car but at a time like this, they need the IS coupe. IS sales are trailing off more so than other cars in it's class, gas is $4 a gallon, and their only new products have been the IS-F (not volume, or has mass appeal), the LX 570 (not volume), and the LS 600hL (not volume).

WTF!?

[/end rant]

Quick Reply: Infiniti G37 Sedan, G37x Coupe, Convertible (New Top Up Conv. Pics pg. 6)