Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking of buying a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0; some ques.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 09:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0; some ques.

Relax guys I am not getting rid of my Lex! lol. My fiance needs a new(er) car desparately as her 1997 Galant is on it's last leg. We were looking in the price range of $25K for a pre-owned car, 2005-2006. We were looking into a pre-owned Infinity G35 (4-dr), Audi A4 or the Saab 9-3 Aero to be financed over 5 years.

Just the other day my sister mentioned that she is selling her White on tan 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0. It has 52K miles and they bought it brand new in 2004. I mentioned this to my fiance and she agreed to take a look at it; she drove it and loved it! My sister said she would sell it to us for $12K and when I tell you the car is ABSOLUTELY prestine...it is. They have kept up with all the necessary service intervals and the car has ran 100% since they bought it.

However, since it has 52K miles the 4yr 50K mile manufacturer warranty JUST lapsed. I called some of the local dealerships and unfortunately once the manufacturer warranty expires they cannot offer an extended warranty through Jaguar. I am NOT dealing with an aftermarket warranty service I got hurt real bad with one on my Lex. What do you guys think I should do? It's either spend $12K and keep the car for 4 years and take a chance that nothing major will happen to it or spend $25K on a pre-owned car (the above) that comes with a warranty.

Please help...I need to make a decision this weekend as my sister needs to sell this because of a pre-owned Range Rover that they just picked up. She's preganant with her second and needed a bigger vehicle that could hold 2 car seats in the rear seats (where the Jag cannot). Thanks again for the suggestions/advice guys!

Nick
Old 07-25-08, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Don't do it
Reconsider
Do some Liter
ture
on the subject!!!

Dude, avoid like the plauge. Seriously. Not reliable, not a good car, like a Goat with rabies, one of those things in life to avoid......

Old 07-25-08, 10:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jags seem to be hit or miss, like a lot of cars, but more on the side of miss.

How many miles does your fiance drive per year?

For 25K there are lots of options, both new and used. I would think a used 06 IS250 would be in that price range now, good option along with the Infiniti. I've even seem some new body 07 G35's for close to 25K
Old 07-25-08, 10:48 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, a 2004 X-Type with 52k is already on it's last legs.
Old 07-25-08, 11:15 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it from an ex-Jag owner, look for something else.
Old 07-25-08, 11:36 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG!!! Really? I can't believe it; it looks great and runs great...I always heard that they are unreliable but never thought to this extent! What the hell should I do now because she really likes the car? Eventhough she will pretty much like anything better than her current bumped and bruised '97 Galant with 130K miles on it...

To my surprise here on LI the dealerships are asking $28K+ for '06 and up IS250's (AWD)! I wanted to try to find one for around $24-$25K but it does not look like it's going to happen.

She was also looking at the pre-owned Acura TSX

...anymore thoughts guys?

BTW she drives about 12K miles/year on average.
Old 07-25-08, 12:30 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

What about a 2GS? or maybe a 1IS?
Old 07-25-08, 02:09 PM
LexFather

Well even in the car stinks, please get what SHE wants or you will hear it everytime
-she sees a car
-she drives a car
-you drive a car
-anytime u mention car

Old 07-25-08, 03:10 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
She was also looking at the pre-owned Acura TSX ...anymore thoughts guys?

BTW she drives about 12K miles/year on average.
The TSX is solid in terms of reliability but commands a premium (thanks to high residuals) which you may not find to be entirely justified.

If it has to be more than a car (ie your fiance is looking for a premium marque), I'd look at the following: lightly used '06 Saab 9-5 Aero; '06 Volvo S60R; '07 Subaru Legacy GT Limited; '06 Audi A4 2.0T; '05-06 BMW 330/25xi; G35x awd sedan all which run around (in several cases under) $25k.

Of that list, the S60R is my personal favorite - and if fuel prices and insurance were of no concern to me, I'd probably be driving one.
Old 07-25-08, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Jag X-body does have some reliability issues, and, if it is out of warranty, that is something you WILL be taking a risk on.......we have to make that clear. But, knowing the possibility of worse-than-average reliability, you may be willing to take that risk. If you do decide to risk it, the X-body is a nice car in a number of ways. It has classy styling, nice wood/leather inside in the Jag tradition, and AWD traction for bad weather. Unfortunately, it also has a few chintsy parts inside (like some plasic switches), right out of the Ford parts-bin, but, in general, if you want Jaguar looks, you will not be disappointed.

So, the purchase of a used X-body does not guarantee that you will get a lemon, but there is a significant risk......more so than with many other cars. That's about the best I can describe it....it is up to you if the Jag's classy looks and AWD traction outweigh those risks or not.

My personal opinion........and if it was me? Quality and reliability are extremely important to me......if I wanted AWD, I would go first to a Subaru, Infiniti G or M-series AWD, Honda/Acura AWD, or Toyota/Lexus AWD, not to a Jaguar.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-08 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-25-08, 05:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Consumer Reports lists the 02-04 Jag X Type on their "Used Cars To Avoid" list.

It also looks bad in their Used Car Reliability guide. Seems like something to avoid....
Old 07-25-08, 05:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My friend has an 02 X-Type 3.0, nice car no major mechanical problems, for 11 or 12k I would take a chance and get it, I would also buy an after market warranty from the Jaquar dealer that it has been serviced at, at least you know they sell it and accept it.

My friends has 76k on it and overall it's a nice car, truthfully not a bad investment for the next 4 years
Old 07-25-08, 05:53 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Jag X Type is an English Ford Mondeo adapted for AWD with some Jag like body panels. The Ford Contour was a US version of the same chassis. Some are probably OK for reliability, but the odds are heavily against it. Because there is no longer a US equivalent, expect Jaguar prices for all repair parts and maintenance services. My suggestion is to find an Acura she likes, much higher probability of success. No matter how "cute" she thinks it is now, being stranded one time in the rain will kill that.
Steve
Old 07-25-08, 06:05 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, for $12k I might chance it and save up some of the savings from your original $25k budget for any repairs. You also know the entire history of the car considering it was your sisters so there's no guessing and hoping about its past.

Interesting dilemma you're in.
Old 07-25-08, 06:25 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The Jag X-Type is a money pit.... Stay away.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0; some ques.