Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Leave the car running while pumping gas, or take the baby out of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 06:03 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
All gas stations I've ever been to post signs to turn the car off while refueling. I'm sure it's not for nothing, modern car or not.
Exactly, and you are decades old, right? How often do you see outdated safety laws reversed?
Old 07-24-08, 06:49 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gernby,

I have a 2 year old daughter and another little one on the way. I'm not sure if you go inside the gas station but I always pay at the pump. I leave the lil one inside the car (car turn off) and usually make funny faces through the window It only takes me 2-3mins at the most to fill up a whole tank. Then I get back in blast the AC and I'm off .
Old 07-24-08, 06:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a more realistic concern.

In most places I'm aware of it's -illegal- to pump gas with the engine running.

Talk about being detained.
Old 07-24-08, 07:04 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I'd rather get out with keys n hand and take just a couple short minutes to fill up, and then get back in and go, every so often you hear about people hoping in cars and driving off.
Old 07-24-08, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

DO NOT leave the engine running while pumping gas.

If it is not raining, you can open the windows to keep Junior from suffocating in the Texas heat....in most cases, it will only take a couple of minutes, unless you are gassing up a 30-gallon Chevy Suburban or Ford Excursion that is almost empty. If it is raining and you DO have to leave the windows up, chances are that it is not hot enough to suffocate Junior in a few minutes, even with the windows up....the clouds will prevent the sun from streaming in the windows.

Also, a couple of unrelated gas-up tips: One, don't gas up if you see the tanker truck unloading at the station....you could get dirt and water sucked into your gas tank. Wait five or more minutes after the tanker truck is done (and, of course, don't forget Junior). Two, avoid cut-rate gas brands that have little or no detergent additives. Usually it's best to stick with major-name brands....I recommend Chevron or Shell, if possible.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 08:43 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i dont have a kid so i guess my opinion isnt valid according to what your looking for.. but roll down the windows if your too lazy to take the baby out of teh car. If your really into this for safety and care so much about safety, than why is it so hard to take him out of the car? which is probably the safest.

anyways, your baby can last a little in the heat, and you and him can bare a little sweat.. but um, spontaneous combustion of an entire gas station may be a little hard for you and him to survive through. Although, if you leave the kid in the car with it running, you can light up a cigarette while pumping so he wont get second hand smoke -- try that one out. (just a smidge of sarcasm)

btw, i think its a pretty harsh fine for leaving your car running while pumping, as well as smoking by the pump =)
Old 07-24-08, 09:05 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I have a 3 year old and on those rare occasions at the pump when he's with me and the weather is hot, I usually pick a spot in the gas station with a shade, roll down all windows, turn off the car then pump.

It only takes a couple of minutes and the temperature inside the car won't go that high in such a short time. In fact, there are times when he's napping while I pump and he's still comfy enough not be awaken by the heat. If he's awake, I distract him like playing peek-a-boo while we're waiting.

Now I'm talking about the typical summer weather here in this part of the Bay Area where it doesn't go over 100 degrees too often and very low humidity. Other places where it's super hot and humid then it will be a different case.
Old 07-24-08, 09:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Safety IS first. The point of this thread IS safety (if my sarcasm wasn't obvious).
Then we agree.
Old 07-24-08, 09:49 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

FWIW, my father ran a gas station and he told me all the gas stations require you to shut off the engine by law. the reason? reduce pollution. Do i believe him? makes some sense. I've never heard of a modern car catching on fire or exploding while running and getting a fill up. my dad say's it's fine and he does it when it's hot. (he like the a/c blowing)

But, better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Last edited by nabbun; 07-24-08 at 09:49 PM. Reason: I don't know . . .
Old 07-24-08, 10:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would make the best attempt to gas up prior. Otherwise roll down the windows while pumping with the car off. Not for any fire danger, just that you do not want someone jumping in,stealing your car with your baby in it.
Old 07-24-08, 10:08 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Why can't you put the key to the "accessory" or "on" positon without actually turning on the engine. You can run your A/C. I doubt doing this for 2-3 minutes would kill your battery.
Old 07-24-08, 10:09 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

^^yeah that would suck no?
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to be the random person with the off topic comment but...

Doesnt the check engine light come on if the car is running and the gas cap is opened for a little while for the evap leak code?
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sdub74
Just roll down the windows. Usually, the pumps are in the shade, so even in summer time, the baby isn't going to be sitting in direct sunlight. It takes less than 5 minutes to fill up the tank, it's not going to get that hot in the car in 5 minutes.
I agree - find a spot with shade, vent the windows, turn off the car. If the kid dies from heat exhaustion in 3 minutes with open windows in the shade, sue Darwin. but really man, the baby will be just fine if you do the above, relax
Old 07-24-08, 10:29 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Hawaii were it is hot and humid, but not as hot as summer in Texas. When I fill up with my son, I have always turned off the engine and rolled down the his window and/or the front passenger window. He has never complained. I personally would never leave the engine running.

I also have always removed my son from the car seat every single time when going to the ATM.

Quick Reply: Leave the car running while pumping gas, or take the baby out of the car?