Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Matrix AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Toyota Matrix AWD

A Review of the 2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

http://www.toyota.com/matrix/index.html

In a Nutshell: Excellent competition for entry-level Subarus; also available in a Pontiac Vibe AWD version.

Toyota introduced the first-generation Matrix to the American market, in addition to the new Scion Division, as an attempt to broaden its appeal to younger buyers, many of whom felt that, at that that time, Toyota's American-market lineup was too stodgy and conservative for their tastes (I myself didn't feel that way, but I don't necessarily represent the feelings of people one half and one-third my age). True, the post-2000 Celica and mid-engined MR2 roadster were both quite sporty, but they simply didn't have any room inside, and had harsh, punishing rides as well.

Anyhow, the Matrix/Vibe was an attempt to market a youth-oriented hatchback version of the Corolla platform. Base, AWD, and XRS (Vibe GT) versions were offered, but were essentially just that.....funky Corolla Hatchbacks. The standard 1.8L four was low on both HP and torque, and the high-output 1.8L was quite similiar to the Honda VTEC fours that had no low-RPM torque at all and had to be revved to motorcycle-like RPM's to get to their HP and torque peaks. The first Matrix, however, was successful in its role of attracting some younger buyers (it helped lower the Toyota median buyer age slightly), but, like the Scion xA and xB, attracted some older buyers as well. One of my ex-coworkers (I won't reveal his age out of politeness, but he's older than the typical Matrix buyer) traded in his old Nissan on a new red FWD Matrix a few years ago, and has been pleased
with it ever since.

Toyota dropped the AWD version of the Matrix from the American market a couple of years ago (a foolish move, IMO, as they were good competition to smaller Subarus), and Pontiac, of course, had to follow suit with the AWD Vibe, as Toyota itself designed and produced the car. That has now been rectified with the new second-generation version.

The new 2009 Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe were displayed at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show in January. Like the Saturn Astra and Volvo C30, I looked them over at the show's static displays, and decided that they were interesting enough for a review later in the year....so here we are.

Three versions of the new Matrix are offered in the American market......Matrix, Matrix S (which has the AWD option), and the top-line, sporty Matrix XRS. Base versions come with the ubiquitous Corolla 1.8L 132 HP four and a choice of 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic. FWD S versions have the larger 158 HP 2.4L four and the choice of 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic; AWD S versions get a 4-speed automatic only...no manual. XRS models get the 2.4L and a choice of 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic. I don't know why the 5-speed automatic is not offered on the base model or on the AWD S model. I'm guessing that with the base model, it may be a cost factor, and with the AWD model, it may be a question of not being able to fit the 5-speed automatic to the AWD hardware. And why there are no AWD 5-speed manuals, again, I can only guess....perhaps low sales of the previous version, or Toyota's market determiation that the potential buyers just aren't there.

I chose the AWD version to review for several reasons. First, it has been gone for the last couple of years, and some people, of course, were waiting for its return. Second, as I mentioned above, I think it is excellent competition for the non-turbo, AWD Subaru Impreza 2.5i and AWD Suzuki SX-4 hatchback....though its price exceeds the Suzuki's by a significant margin, and both it and the Impreza 2.5i lack the Suzuki's 3-position switch for FWD/AWD/AWD LOck. Third, many people tend to underestimate the all-around usefulness and benefits of AWD....it is not just a way of getting to the office and back safely through winter storms. AWD, despite its well-known tendency to eat up engine power and gas mileage, has a number of benefits on wet roads, gravel, mud, and even, in some cases, on simple dry-pavement cornering. Despite the fact that I live in an area that gets snow and ice only occasionally and generally doesn't have severe Northern winters, I'm sold on it....I don't think I'll ever have another car without it, even if gas doubles in price.

So, let's take a look at the new AWD Matrix in more detail.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Toyota Matrix S Sedan AWD (Toyota uses the term "Sedan" in its marketing, but it is actually a 5-door hatchback).

Base Price: $20,400 (includes automatic transmission)

Major Options:

Cruise Control: $250

Vehicle Stability/Traction Control: $250

Carpet Floor Mats $199 (generally a rip-off; you can get floor mats, though non-custom matched, at auto parts stores for $20-30)

Destination/Freight: $660

List price as reviewed: $21,759

Drivetrain: Torque-On-Demand AWD, 2.4L, transversely-mounted, DOHC, VVT-i, 2.4L in-line 4, 158 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 162 Ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM,
4-speed automatic transmission.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 20 City, 26 Highway

Exterior Color: Nautical Blue

Interior: Gray cloth

PLUSSES:

Corolla reliability.

Available in both Toyota and Pontiac versions.

Smooth, refined powertrain.

Good interior space efficiency.

Relatively firm brake pedal (much better than Corolla's).

Excellent underhood layout.

Good noise isolation.

Relatively smooth ride.

Nicely-trimmed sun visors.

Well-designed and located power mirror control.

Solid cargo hooks.

Superlative Toyota-Lexus paint job.

Nice paint colors.

Attractive interior seat cloth.

Comfortable, roomy seats, front and rear.

Nice-sounding stereo.

Easy-to-use stereo controls and *****.

Strong air conditioning.

MINUSES:

Slow, overboosted electric power steering.

Significant body roll.

Poor brake pedal placement.

Flimsy, cheap-feeling rotary climate *****.

Poorly-finished cargo area.

Overly (?) funky dash.

Cheaply-painted silver dash plastics.

Poorly-designed rear wiper arm.

Somewhat flimsy-feeling hood.

Hood prop-rod.

Mediocre acceleration.

Large, visibility-hampering C-pillars.

No (?) rear cargo cover.

Better GM 5/100 drivetrain warranty with Pontiac version.

No separate manual sport-shift feature for automatic transmission.

Relatively low ground clearance for snow.

EXTERIOR:

Despite an all-new redesign this year, there is no mistaking a new Matrix or Vibe from the old one, even at first glance. The lines and general overall shape are similiar, but not identical, to the old ones....there are only minor differences and concessions to sleekness and aero-wind resistance. Those of you who either liked or hated the old styling will probably feel more or less the same way about the new one. It has the same basic two-box design (with a slight amount of streamlining), relatively high rear roofline for space efficiency, and (unfortunately) the same relatively low ground clearance that may limit its usefulness in deep snow. And the big C-pillars at the back corners, unlike the generally good visibility out the rear window itself, block some of the angular view back....care and judicious use of the outside mirrors are needed for lane changes.

The paint job was the usual Toyota-Lexus superb work (generally considered the auto industry's best paint jobs among mass-produced cars). And, for a change, there were some real nice paint color choices as well. My favorite, far and away, was the "Sundance Metallic", a gorgeous copper/mustard shade of burnt yellowish-orange....I included a shot of that in the pictures above. The outside sheet metal panels and doors all felt solid and substantial except for the hood, which felt light and tinny even though it appeared to be steel and not aluminum. The two front doors and the hatch lid shut solidly and with a substantial "thunk"; the two rear doors likewise but slightly less so. Exterior trim and hardware, including the outside mirror assemblies was well-done and of high quality. The only real glitch in the exterior design, IMO, besides the fairly low ground clearance, was the poorly designed plastic rear wiper arm that did not lift far enough off the glass for the wiper blade inserts to swivel and come on and off easily.

UNDERHOOD:

While the hood itself did not have impressive solidness, and was held up by a prop rod instead of convienient struts, it did have an insulation pad underneath to help with engine noise, and the underhood access itself to engine and components was excellent, especially compared to some of today's luxury cars that literally hide EVERYTHING. The Matrix is a shining example of how more of transverse-engine designs should be underhood. The engine has only a very small cover on top that doesn't block much. There is plenty of room in front of the block and in between the block and radiator to reach the engine's components (this will help greatly at water-pump and timing-belt change time). Dipsticks are right in front of you and clearly marked. The battery is right up front on the right and uncovered. The translucent brake master-cylinder is recessed a little back on the right under the vent intakes, but an ingenious little plastic panel under the intakes snaps off to allow you access to unscrew the master cylinder's cap and refill it....and the master cylinder itself visible enough to clearly see the brake fluid level.

INTERIOR:

Once you get past the relative funkiness of the general shape of the dash panels in front of you (remember, this is Toyota's idea of how to market to young people), and the cheapness of the painted silver-plastic panels on the dash and console that Toyota designers seem to be addicted to nowadays, this is an excellently-designed, useful, and comfortable interior. The seats have a soft, plush-feeling, light-gray cloth with blue speckles, elastic pockets sewn into the back of them to hold things, a Euro-style pump-handle on the left for cushion height, and nice, relatively soft cushions that have some give and don't have the park-banch hardness of so many of today's vehicles, yet offer reasonable support, though thigh support from the short cushions, in the Toyota tradition, is somewhat lacking. The primary instruments, like the recently-reviewed 2008 Acura TL Type-S, have a white-on-black circular design with red border rings set into recessed circular tunnels....that helps keep intense sunlight from washing out the markings and making them unreadable. The stereo has excellent sound quality....this is one area, like paint, Toyota doesn't skimp on.....and the stereo controls and ***** are blessedly simple and easy-to-use in this age of overly complex, integrated Stereo/NAV layouts (my test car, obviously, did not have the NAV option). Nor does Toyota and Lexus skimp on the climate control. The air conditioning, after sitting in the 90-degree sun, took a minute or two to start cooling, but then, in typical Toyota/Lexus fashion, came on like I was a penguin. The transmission shifter, on the lower part of the dash SUV-style, while lacking the now-common manual sport-shift gate, allowed downshifts in the traditional manner through the annoying zig-zag gate (more on the transmission below in the ON THE ROAD section). Durable circular swivel-vents, Pontiac-style, adjust the air flow as desired. The high roofline and lack of a sunfoof meant good headroom front and rear, even for tall adults, and legroom was similiarly abundant for a car this size. The interior hardware was all durable-feeling and well-done, except for the somewhat skimpy-feeling transmission shifter, and the aforementioned awful painted-plastic dash panels. Cupholders are built into both rear door panels and dual ones the back of the console......why four cupholders would be needed in a back seat designed for two adults or three children is beyond me. The sun visors were well-done and covered in a nice attractive material, a vanity light with a pull-out cover, and straps for glasses, maps, etc..... this is something that some automakers today are skimping on to cut costs.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

I wasn't overly impressed with the look of the poorly-finished cargo/trunk area and its mostly hard, light-gray plastic and lack of carpets, but, in all fairness, it must be remembered that this is a vehicle that is basically designed to be an active-lifestyle machine, do work, and carry things like bicycles, skis, camping gear, skateboards, fishing gear, etc..... that would probably not mix very well with plush carpeting. The rear seatbacks (see the picture above) fold down flat to give a long, almost truck-bed-like cargo floor. Two large, chromed, metal (not plastic) anchor holes, one to each side, provide a sturdy tie-down for large items, with four smaller plastic hooks (two to each side) are just behind them on the walls. Double-anchors for rear-child seats are built into the floor under two plastic pull-out plugs. The full-size, temporary spare tire/wheel (acceptable in a car of this price class), is in the usual location...under the rearmost pull-up cover. As with rear seat headroom, the relatively high, squared-off rear roofline allows good cargo space efficiency, and tall items to be carried. But, I didn't notice if a rear cargo cover came on the AWD version to keep one's valuables away from prying eyes....I didn't see it specifically mentioned in the Toyota literature.

ON THE ROAD:

As with most vehicles of this class, the 2.4L four is started up with a conventional transponder metal key in a conventional, dash-mounted ignition switch (a few manufacturers still have them mounted on the right side of the steering column). The refined engine fires up and idles smoothly and silky in the usual Toyota-Honda fashion, with a minimum of noise and vibration. Once warmed up and on the road, with 162 ft-lbs of torque pulling the weight and drag of an automatic and AWD, the AWD Matrix, like non-turbo, automatic, Subarus, has adequate power for normal driving but is obviously no Friday-night drag racer. On a two-lane road, make sure you have clear distance in front of you when you pull out to pass someone. The 4-speed automatic transmission, while lacking a little in flexibility and gear spacing compared to 5 and 6-speed automatics, is nontheless, in the Toyota tradition, smooth, quiet, and refined....Toyota engineers put a a lot of attention into transmission engineering, despite some defective ones on new 6-cylinder Camrys. In fact, Toyota transmisisons, in general, seem to have fewer problems than their own up-level Lexus units.

Brakes, surprisingly, were MUCH better than on brother Corollas.........I had not expected that, considering that the new Corolla I reviewed a few months ago had classic, Sponge-O-Matic brakes and poor response, and the Matrix is built on the same platform/drivetrain. yet, I can only report what I actually saw....the Matrix brakes were far less spongy and had quicker, more effective, and more confidence-building response.

Ride comfort was another one of the car's strong points. Like the Corolla, the suspension and tires, even with fairly low-profile rubber, are tuned for comfort more than for sports-car performance.....interesting, considering that this car is aimed at a young, sport-oriented crowd. However, I won't complain.....I like a suspension and tires with some give. The down side to the comfort-oriented chassis, of course, is noticeable (but not severe) body roll, fairly slow steering response (not surprisingly, like Corollas) and a general numbness from the electrically-driven power steering pump.....you're not going to confuse this car with a Porsche or BMW. However, if a slightly sportier steering/chassis setup is desired, one can, of course, check out the upmarket, more-sport-oriented Matrix XRS, which, of course, comes only in FWD.

I, of course, did not get a chance to actually test the Matrix's AWD system in inclement weather, but the system itself operates a little differently than Subaru's Active or Continiuous AWD systems. The Matrix system, like the similiar ones on the RAV4 and non-Hybrid Highlander, effectively drives the front wheels until it detects rear-wheel slip, than shifts engine torque back through the center differential to the rear wheels...it does not continually feed power to all four wheels simultaneously. And, as previously mentioned, it does not have the 3-positon switch for 2WD/4WD/AWD Lock that the smaller and cheaper Suzuki SX-4 does....but the SX-4's system, unlike Toyota's and Subaru's is relatively new and unproved.

Noise isolation, considering the naturally-amplifying effects of road noise from the open rear cargo area, was also well-done......it's not as quiet as big-brother Toyota Avalon or Camry, but well-done for a car of this class. With the relatively low noise level, compliant suspension, and comfortable seats, this would not be a bad small car to take on a long trip....it is not likely to wear you out after several hours at cruise.

VERDICT:

Toyota, wth the AWD Matrix (and twin Pontiac Vibe), has once again marketed a well-made, comfortable, versatile, and reliable (previous versions were well-above-average in reliability) alternative to the AWD Subaru Impreza 2.5 Sportwagon. Toyota makes a big deal in its literature that the Matrix AWD comes with more standard features than the Impreza Sportwagon, but doesn't point out that the Subaru has a lower starting price. The Impreza, though, with options and packages, can be easily, and inexpensively, brought up to the Matrix's level. Both cars have a somewhat outdated 4-speed automatic transmission. Both are reliable. Of the two, I personally prefer the Subaru's boxer-engine/AWD layout for its simplicity and low center of gravity for optimum handling and steering response, but I would have no problem at all having a Matrix in my parking space as a daily driver. I highly respect both cars, but my own personal preference.....slightly.....would go to the Subie.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-14 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 03:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice review!

this is another model IMO that should be a hybrid.

very good point about the better GM Vibe warranty - but I can't stand the way the new Vibe looks, love the new Matrix.

MPG --

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 1.8 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular

city 26
hwy 32

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 1.8 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular

city 25
hwy 31

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Automatic (S5), Regular

city 21
hwy 29

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular

city 21
hwy 28

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular

city 20
hwy 26

Last edited by bagwell; 07-17-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 03:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a little off topic......

traction control is a $250 option.
seems like a cheap option that should be standard in all cars.

anyone know how lexus traction control differs from toyota traction control?

is lexus' supposed to be more advanced?
Old 07-17-08, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice review!
Thanks.

Yes, agreed....but doing a Hybrid AWD system would be complex and expensive. Look, for example, at what the complex AWD Hybrid systems, with multiple electric motors, cost in upmarket Toyotas and Lexuses.

very good point about the better GM Vibe warranty - but I can't stand the way the new Vibe looks, love the new Matrix.
Thanks. Toyota's 5/60 drivertrain warranty, while average for a non-upmarket Japanese manufacturer, can't match GM's. Yet GM, up to just a few years ago when it went to a 5/60 (before the 5/100), had only a 3/36 drivetrain, like Ford and Honda....who have now also switched to 5/60.
Those manufacturers with 3/36 found that they had to increase it or just risk losing sales.

The lone holdout, today, is Smart Car's 2/24 on everything....even the drivetrain......insultingly skimpy by today's standards.
Old 07-17-08, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MPG --

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 1.8 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular

city 26
hwy 32

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 1.8 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular

city 25
hwy 31

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Automatic (S5), Regular

city 21
hwy 29

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular

city 21
hwy 28

Toyota Matrix 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular

city 20
hwy 26
Thanks. Bagwell. You got me on that one.....I forgot to post the MPG rating. I'll go back and fill it in.

Don't forget, though, that AWD affects the ratings too (20/26)....you didn't include that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-08 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 03:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I came pretty close to picking up an 09 Matrix XRS with the 5 speed manual as little runabout car. I was very impressed with the car overall. Torquey 4 cylinder, etc.

Of note, the passenger front seat can also fold flat for even longer cargo capabilities.

The AWD is paired with a 4 speed auto, but the FWD 2.4L models do have a 5 speed auto with a sportshift gate I believe.

Only thing I didn't like was the rather larger turning radius, which is a problem with lots of FWD cars.
Old 07-17-08, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
a little off topic......

traction control is a $250 option.
seems like a cheap option that should be standard in all cars.
TC is generally less needed with AWD's superior grip, but nonetheless can still come in handy.

VDC (and the inherent traction control that goes with it) WILL be standard on all new cars, by Federal law, in a couple more years.

anyone know how lexus traction control differs from toyota traction control?

is lexus' supposed to be more advanced?
I think it has to do more with whether the vehicle has an LSD (Limited-slip-differential) or not than the vehicle's brand label.
Old 07-17-08, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The AWD is paired with a 4 speed auto, but the FWD 2.4L models do have a 5 speed auto with a sportshift gate I believe.
I don't know why no 5-speed auto with AWD, unless it has to do with problems involved in actually mounting it. Toyota AWD systems are more complex than Audi and Subaru systems, and require more bevel/direction-turning gears.
Old 07-17-08, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I came pretty close to picking up an 09 Matrix XRS with the 5 speed manual as little runabout car. I was very impressed with the car overall. Torquey 4 cylinder, etc.
I notice your ID has both Seattle and Chicago on it, Why would you want a car in dense stop-and-to Seattle or Chicago traffic with a manual transmission? That's cruel and unusual punishment. Or do you drive far enough outside the cities where that is not a problem?
Old 07-18-08, 05:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review (when available): 2009 Acura TL
Old 07-18-08, 06:13 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

every matrix comes with a cargo cover...its located in the spare tire area and its a foldable piece in a plastic bag.......its a standard item!!
Old 07-18-08, 06:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice review, I have a 04 Matrix XRS as my dd/beater and it's a fun little car good on gas decent space for wheels and body kit parts lol. I plan on lowering it.
Old 07-18-08, 07:27 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice review!

THAT I can agree with. It has MORE than enough room to make it a hybrid and a really good one at that with plenty of trunk space for batteries.

Marshal I don't think there is much improvement though from this model and the 05 models. They both severely under perform against a Subaru.

They must has fixed the noise issue because my Matrix is pretty loud even before my mods.

Originally Posted by cherplex
Nice review, I have a 04 Matrix XRS as my dd/beater and it's a fun little car good on gas decent space for wheels and body kit parts lol. I plan on lowering it.
When you do, get the Tokiko Blue Shocks and Tein S Stech Springs.
Also if you can get it, find a Progress Sway Bar, it will improve handling SIGNIFICANTLY and help on body roll LOOOOOOOOOOTS!
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2009 Toyota Matrix AWD-dsc03378.jpg  
Old 07-18-08, 09:11 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I notice your ID has both Seattle and Chicago on it, Why would you want a car in dense stop-and-to Seattle or Chicago traffic with a manual transmission? That's cruel and unusual punishment. Or do you drive far enough outside the cities where that is not a problem?
I don't mind driving stick shift in traffic, and I rarely drive anymore. Generally on the road for work, or when I'm in town, take public transit into the city. Driving is purely for fun, errands around town, etc.
Old 07-18-08, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
every matrix comes with a cargo cover...its located in the spare tire area and its a foldable piece in a plastic bag.......its a standard item!!

Thanks. My test car had the carpeted floor mats wrapped up in the trunk in a large plastic bag. Maybe the cargo cover was packed in there with them.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Toyota Matrix AWD