Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: Honda/Acura NSX, RL/Legend to get V10 with cylinder deactivation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 07:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Rumormill: Honda/Acura NSX, RL/Legend to get V10 with cylinder deactivation?

2010 Acura NSX

Honda is quietly confident the new NSX will outperform the R35 Nissan GT-R.

The team at Holiday Auto (Japan) are working very hard to bring the latest news about the upcoming Acura NSX and their latest report includes one or two surprises. The first of which is the 5.5L V10 engines adoption of VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) which is a direct result of increasing oil prices and Honda’s own desire not to be seen as a manufacturer which has no regard for the environment when it comes to high performance cars. Apparently the new 5.5L V10 will use VCM to shut down one bank of cylinders in constant speed driving situations which will reduce its capacity to 2.75 liters. The new V10 will be manufactured on a special line at Honda’s new factory in Saitama prefecture. Torque has been confirmed at 60.0kg/m and a massive output of 600ps through all four wheel is expected to be produced. You could say that the V10 is basically a 10 cylinder version of the LE-A 4500cc V8 which will power the next generation Acura RL, although the ‘V’ angle of the V10 will be 90 degrees whereas the V8 will be 72 degrees, making the NSX’s V10 truly unique. Special pistons and conrods, as well as a dry sump and fully balanced internals are other features of the new V10. The body of the NSX along with the RL will be assembled by specially trained craftsmen at a new plant being built in Ogawamachi, the reason being to allow parts sharing between the two models and to enable the same high level of build quality.

The other surprise is that Holiday Auto suggests the 5.5L V10 may make an appearance in a special Acura RL model! It remains to be seen whether such a car would affect the image of the NSX or not; you could say that a V10 RL would become a “4-door NSX” of sorts if it ever made it to production.

Despite a comprehensive equipment list and the heavy SH-AWD drivetrain the NSX is still expected to tip the scales at just under 1500kg. For a big two seater coupe that kind of weight is worth noting, especially considering the incredible performance of the much heavier Nissan GT-R. The aerodynamic package of the NSX is said to include front fender slits which will help expel air from the engine bay and reduce lift, as well as and underbody design incorporating the front bumper, side skirts and rear diffuser which will also help direct air from the engine bay and channel it under the car to the rear diffuser. Using knowledge obtained from their Formula One program the underbody aerodynamics in conjunction with the rear spoiler will dramatically reduce lift and add downforce which is said to make the car extremely stable at speeds up to and over 300km/h. The Acura NSX will follow its predecessor and have different sized wheels and tires, with Bridgestone RE070R 255/30R19 up front and 295/35R20 at the rear.

As far as performance is concerned, the natural rival of the NSX is the R35 Nissan GT-R but this is not to say that it will be priced and optioned in a similar fashion. The upcoming Acura NSX is expected to sell for around 16,000,000 yen and its true rivals are said to be the Jaguar XKR and Aston Martin Vanquish. This of course means that the NSX will have much higher standard materials and fit and finish compared to the previous NSX and buyers will certainly feel that the asking price is justified. Being a true luxury sports car won’t impede on its abilities at the circuit though, once the Nissan GT-R’s time of 7:29.00 at Nurburgring has been achieved Holiday Auto say Honda are sure to continue on and try for a time faster than the Nissan GT-R Spec V!

Words: Justin Karow

Source
Old 07-15-08, 08:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another magazine with no official word from Honda/Acura.

I should start making up stuff and sell it to the masses...
Old 07-15-08, 08:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Press Release: Honda to make flying car. Expected delivery date is between January 2009 and January 2100. Stay tuned for details.
Old 07-15-08, 08:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

These kinds of articles are the ones that makes people 'tired' of honda. They are clearly not from Honda whatsoever. I can be making up a press for the Lexus LF-A every week and people will get tired of it. I hate articles that emphasizes on 'rumors'.
Old 07-15-08, 09:54 AM
LexFather

FYI Wall-E designs Acuras.....a rumor I heard.

Old 07-15-08, 10:18 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad face! ... if you're going to start making stuff up @ least make an Acura looking face (or at least a not ugly one, this one offends me)
Old 07-15-08, 11:19 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Another magazine with no official word from Honda/Acura.

I should start making up stuff and sell it to the masses...
And the funny thing is your stuff would probably be more accurate.
Old 07-15-08, 11:19 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I hope these rumors are all false, cylinder deactivation is annoying, ever disconnect two spark plug wires in your car, the engine is no longer balanced and it sounds awful, Honda's answer to this in the Accord V6 with cylinder deactivation is to play some white noise through the stock stereo (or canceling noise). so what if you ditch the stock stereo, do you get to hear all that noise? Also no mention of mid engine, and no mention of all alluminum construction like the previous NSX.

Why is the GTR their target and not Ferrari like the last NSX, weak sauce.
Old 07-15-08, 11:31 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy4two

Because you can't compete against a Ferrari with a front mounted engine.
Old 07-15-08, 01:50 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Because you can't compete against a Ferrari with a front mounted engine.
Ferrari 599, 612

Aston Martin doesn't compete with Ferrari?

And if your being sarcastic, sorry; and to the guy asking, its because right now the GT-R is one of the fastest production cars available
Old 07-15-08, 01:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xioix
Ferrari 599, 612

Aston Martin doesn't compete with Ferrari?

And if your being sarcastic, sorry; and to the guy asking, its because right now the GT-R is one of the fastest production cars available
Being sarcastic yes and no. I'm a big mid engine fan, and that is why I love the original NSX and bought one. I bought it because I could have a near Ferrari experience for $$ cheaper. I personally respect the front engine Ferrari's for obvious reasons, but if I were to ever be fortunate enough I'm only interested in the mid engines. I consider Aston Martin all GT cars. Yes, Ferrari does have a few GT cars, but that is not primarily what they are known for. Acura's next NSX will be a GT, so I don't really consider that competing with Ferrari.
Old 07-15-08, 05:36 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

The original NSX never did too well in sales. I guess their target market, drivers of Ferrari/Lamborghini/mid-engined cars, never caught on. So maybe this time Honda is trying to go a different and more profitable route.

I hope these rumors are all false, cylinder deactivation is annoying, ever disconnect two spark plug wires in your car, the engine is no longer balanced and it sounds awful
I would agree that Honda probably should not put this system in the RL because that's suppose to be quiet. But if they put the cylinder deactivation in the new NSX that wouldn't be so bad since the car isn't suppose to be as quiet as a luxury sedan. Plus owner's of the new NSX would likely be able to find a way to remove the cylinder deactivation system if they wanted. (That's assuming NSX owners are inclined to modifying their cars.)
Old 07-16-08, 12:31 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
The original NSX never did too well in sales. I guess their target market, drivers of Ferrari/Lamborghini/mid-engined cars, never caught on. So maybe this time Honda is trying to go a different and more profitable route.
They are definitely going for the more profitable route. However, the poor sales of the NSX wasn't due to the car itself, but the lack of upgrade over the years. The first year Acura sold over 3000 NSX in the US alone. Second year was still high about 1500. Anyway, if Honda would have upgraded the car by the 5th year, perhaps sales would still have been strong especially for a car like that.

Some indications where this may be true is that in 1994 with some minor upgrades sales bumped up a bit. In 1995, when they brought out the NSX-T, sales bumped up a bit again. The following year it dipped again and declined every year after. In 2002 when the came out with the face lift, sales again bumped up, then declined until its production end in 2005.

What all this tells me is Acura sold more than 6000 NSX, (Could be more but I'm too lazy to look up the sales numbers on NSX Prime) in the first 5 years. That IMHO is not bad at all for a halo car like the NSX. 14 years is just too long to keep basically the same car with minimal upgrades. The 2002 face lift should have come out in 1997 with the upgraded engine and trans, and by 2000/2001 a new NSX should have been out already.
Old 07-16-08, 01:27 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Lsportline43

I would agree that Honda probably should not put this system in the RL because that's suppose to be quiet. But if they put the cylinder deactivation in the new NSX that wouldn't be so bad since the car isn't suppose to be as quiet as a luxury sedan. Plus owner's of the new NSX would likely be able to find a way to remove the cylinder deactivation system if they wanted. (That's assuming NSX owners are inclined to modifying their cars.)
The NSX started off very well, but when Ferrari updated the 348 to the 355, and Honda did really nothing really, that is when the NSX sales started to go real south, and then Ferrari went to the 360 and Honda added in that time period, a 6 speed and a slight hp bump
Old 07-21-09, 11:46 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Hybrid

Even though it's been going on for more than two years now, the tale of the Acura NSX is like a news story that just broke: you have to keep checking back for details, and each subsequent update could turn the whole story on its head. The V10 NSX that was going to own the sports car gods on Mt. Olympus was killed, and a rumored newly resurrected NSX is said to be a V6 hybrid that will challenge Toyota's own will-they/won't-they FT-HS/Supra.

Whereas Toyota's entry is reported to put out 400 horsepower to the rear wheels, the NSX will reportedly get about 450 horses going to all four wheels via Acura's SH-AWD system. Dubbed the "Super Hybrid Sports," sources claim it will be built on the same steel platform as the next generation Acura RL.

While this speculation sounds like an interesting car – at least, until the next update comes along – it is a redefinition of what NSX means to us and could take a while to get used to. And if Acura is truly intent on becoming a top shelf luxury maker, we can't help but find it a bit quizzical that they're taking their flagship sports car brand downmarket to compete with a Toyota Supra.

Quick Reply: Rumormill: Honda/Acura NSX, RL/Legend to get V10 with cylinder deactivation?