Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota increases stake in Fuji Heavy Industries by 17 percent

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As one of CL's biggest Subaru fans, this is just about the last thing I wanted to hear.

Since Toyota first started calling some of the shots, new Subaru designs, IMO, have, overall, gone downhill.
Old 06-29-08, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I am currently unhappy though. My Legacy blew last night. Smoke and oil everywhere. I think its a cam seal. Not too bad, just frustrating. However, its got 100k + miles so what would you expect?
You sure it is only oil-related? 1999-2002 non-turbo 2.5's (if that includes yours) were notorious for head gasket failures. That, in some circumstances, could allow oil and coolant to mix and leak out.
Old 06-30-08, 01:02 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You sure it is only oil-related? 1999-2002 non-turbo 2.5's (if that includes yours) were notorious for head gasket failures. That, in some circumstances, could allow oil and coolant to mix and leak out.
Yeah, my coolant is fine. Thank god.

Edit: Whatever idiot replaced the oil last (me) didnt check the old oil filter to see if the seal was still around it. Apparently it got stuck, wedged up against the new filer and created a double seal that held for 2,000 miles. No damage was done to the engine. And Im getting a new timing belt for $375 which I thought was a good deal.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 06-30-08 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 05:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

As one of CL's biggest Subaru fans, this is just about the last thing I wanted to hear.

Since Toyota first started calling some of the shots, new Subaru designs, IMO, have, overall, gone downhill.

Toyota has had nothing to do with the latest designs
Old 06-30-08, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Toyota has had nothing to do with the latest designs
Having had some contact and discussion with with Fuji (Subaru) reps, I'm not sure I buy that arguement. New 2008 and 2009 Subies, especially Foresters/Imprezas (Foresters especially), are starting to show the same cost-cutting and overly-plastic interiors that many new Toyota products have. I don't think that's a co-incidence.

That is why I am seriously considering replacing my own Outback with a late-model 2008 or 2009 before they redesign them for 2010 and screw THEM up too. The present Outback is simply superb, and I can only see them going downhill for the next-gen model.
Old 06-30-08, 09:36 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interiors maybe but that's an industry trend, almost every company is going with harder plastic materials so Toyota is not alone (have you seen the new Accord, the interior quality is night and day compares to my '97 Accord).

To be honest, I would love to see Toyota gain some influence in Subaru for its exterior design. The new Impreza couldn't look any more dull and the Forester did not exactly set the world on fire either. With the way it is going I am really afraid to see the redesigned Legacy, which in my opinion is one of the best looking mid-size sedans inside and out currently on the market.

Maybe Subie designer can take some cues from the L-Finesse philosophy and develop a more sportier version for Subaru.
Old 06-30-08, 09:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i doubt toyota has influenced any of Subarus vehicles - they had acquired small stake last year... you will see first products with input from toyota in 2010 or so...
Old 07-06-08, 01:42 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Yep, thats it, one of my favorites. Looks more modern than most cars coming off the sales floor these days.
I always liked that car also it just looks great. Unfortunately Subaru back then had only one dealer in my area now we got two.
Old 07-06-08, 04:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I could not even say when I last saw a Soo, Ba ooh as my friend calls them on a road out here in California. Most likely due to I don't pay much attention to them. Cept they did have one model many years back with the different side windows and was pretty slick. Can't recall the model at this time.
It was probably the SVX.

I see Subarus all over; ALL OVER. I guess you don't pay attention to other cars much or California people don't like them for some reason *shrug*

Originally Posted by spwolf
diesel technology? Subaru started selling their first diesel 3 months ago, and Toyota has currently around 5-6 different series of diesel engines, including 1.4l, 2.0l, 2.2l, 3.0l, 4.5l... Toyota sells 4x more diesels every year than Subaru does cars

What they bought it for is expansion - Toyota is lacking engineers and factories...

You misunderstand. It is Fuji Heavy Industries that they bought stake in; Subaru is a part of that. Fuji sells A LOT of diesel engines; most are in heavy industry though. You can't deny their experience in designing heavy duty parts though; which is what Toyota wants.

And yeah, I agree they bought it for a good bit of expansion room. May have something to do with batteries as well.